I don't believe in fairy tales about chackras or energy...

>I don't believe in fairy tales about chackras or energy, or space alien hordes led by Norse Gods that tear wholes in spacetime to attack New York City, or frost giants, or ninjas who come back from the dead, or men whose bodies produce powerful pheromones that give them complete control over other people's minds, or Nazi spin off organizations with magical blue space lasers during WWII, or bullet proof negroes, or teenagers who can lift cars over their heads after being bitten by a fancy irradiated arachnids, or scientists who are exposed to gamma rays and instead of getting cancer become giant green monsters whose strength increases indefinitely proportionate to their anger, or the healing power of belief

What did he mean by this?

I was looking for the Spider-Man racism gag in your post but never saw it and I'm kinda sad.

really makes you think huh?

He came to bargain

How long did he study magic for? A year? Two? I was surprised when he just went from waving his arms in the air to summoning sparks in a few seconds of montage.

Why didn't Darkonu just cut off the professors arm?

This movie was terrible at communicating the passage of time. If you told me it took place over the course of a week or two I would have no problem believing it.

He was minding his "pre New York invasion" business. Burying his head in the sand like the rest of the world, ignoring the MCU problems. He was running away from his destiny

what's the point of magic without mysticism and spiritualism, might as well not use magic to begin with

he just wanted to bargain

m-muh atheism

movies always happen on "Present Day" which is the opening day, in this case 20 October 2016.

When he had car crash Rodney just snapped his spine so it was Captain America War, May 2016.

How do you bury your head in the sand when there is a full on assault on your city from a horde of space aliens? Are there also New Yorkers that are unaware of 9/11?

tfw too atheist and skeptical to enjoy doctor strange

I think people involved in the film have said they weren't referring to Rodney with that comment.

He really would have had no problem with Ultron, huh? Dr Strange kind of makes any physical threat seem like a joke from here on out. Are they just going to have to say "Strange is off exploring the astral realm" any time there's a threat in any upcoming MCU movie?

I would be careful with that 9/11 comparison and limit my comments to Marvel Cinematic New Yorkers only.

Surely people know they are attacked by aliens. They mourn for the deceased and watch news about what Avengers are doing. But then life goes on.

The Avengers technology or the alien technology are great. But they are either kept away or too advanced for ordinary people to comprehend. Currently to get things done people still rely on pre SHIELD/STARK technology. People still drive cars, use electricity and go to regular hospital.

You might argue that for people like Strange or that Korean girl who work with the latest development, they would understand implications of the events in MCU, but it is clear that Strange doesn't want to understand them and would rather stick with things he is familiar with

It's all explained in the earlier scene with Rachael McAdams when they compare doing surgery with doing research. Doing fundamental research can be revolutionary but sometimes people with that talent just limit themselves to small things

That's what the post you replied to was all about. There is no 'magic' (because there is no mysticism, spirituality, supernatural, etc; thus no deities). What we call magic is just as-yet-undefined science - which is pretty much what Thor was spelling out back in his origin movie.

The Ancient One said as much in the film: "Call it magic or call it a program." To her it doesn't matter because she never really wanted to look into it (no innnovator, she's just a user) but the inference is there that the hand gestures which generate the 'spells' are just part of a programming language left in place by the beings who left all these energies around aeons ago.

>I would be careful with that 9/11 comparison and limit my comments to Marvel Cinematic New Yorkers only.

Why? I live in New York City. I'm typing this from my apartment on 45th street. Suck my cock, you touchy pusshole.

Most of the time in the comics he just knows he isn't needed and has a pretty good handle on destiny and "what needs to happen" and just lets everyone else handle it because it's not his problem. He spends most of his time studying and running what's basically an xmen academy out of his house for ghosts, vampires and hot demon girls.

As soon as it becomes a problem for the universe or he knows some magic bullshit is about blindside them from the nether realms he'll show up, warn people and maybe fight with them.

if you can't accept a magic that is actually science

Would you accept science that is actually magic?

Second guy's an idiot desu

I got their point, I was disagreeing on a general level about fiction.

Why put it in then? Strange.

Either this guy is implying that he's carefully studied physics, biology, and every other scientific field he's been told about, or he's a pretentious jackass.

Maybe... who am I to judge?

>I don't believe in fairy tales about chackras or energy, or space alien hordes led by Norse Gods
Well this is true though.

Research

Kek

HIS NAME ISN'T RODNEY IT'S RHODEY STOP GETTING IT WRONG YOU STUPID NIGGERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>As a skeptic and atheist

Stopped reading right there

It wasn't iron man's black best friend, it was the guy from the opening of Ironman 2

I know that feel

I like to keep my fantasy genre separated from science fiction genre, which should also be separated from cyberpunk

But I guess it's not how people take it

Rhodey is not a marine and neither is War Machine a prototype armor

> But they are either kept away or too advanced for ordinary people to comprehend.

The gangsters in Luke Cage are literally smuggling Chitauri based weapons at one point.

It means he wishes he was part of the DCEU and not that trash he was stuck in called the MCU.
He was delusional.

>pretentious jackass
this

My suspicion is that Kamar-Taj is actually in another dimension with different time flow. I mean, we never see them actually walks through the cheap looking door step-by-step to the main room. It always looks dark from outside.

When Mordo takes STrange in for the first time, the scene weirdly cuts to them walking in the big hallway with sun shining from the window and the outside scenery shows that they are at the top of mountain. Thus I think the front door is a portal.

>all this science is amazing but it doesn't mean magic exists
Wow.

I just assumed that he was in another reality...

He is, he's called Jammy Rodney and he's best friends with Timmy Stork. And they have a rivalry with Stew Rodriguez and Benny Buck.

*tips fedora*

As an ignostic atheist I feel embarrassed.

>MK III is old as fuck by the events of Civil War
I feel old.

This,the most interesting thing in iron man is the invention of the ark reactor. That alone is basically free energy that would change the entire world.

For example you wouldn't need to meddle in the middle east with islam shit heads over oil if everyones car was powered by a ark reactor.

but then it's not magic.

Fucking Marvel man

>the most interesting thing in iron man is the invention of the ark reactor.

eh, they only knocked it off from the Saga of the Exiles, whose source of unlimited free energy was the "sigma field". which in turn was a knockoff of [some other shit]

People can't have a pure fantasy story they get "board" people have made it hard to have any kind of blockbuster movie that's a single type.

Just like we can't have a MCU capeshit movie with out it being another type of movie.

Winter Soldier : spy thriller that just happend to have super heroes.

Civil War : Political thriller that just so happens to have super heroes in it.

Thor 1/2 : fantasy story that just happens to have super heroes.

Antman : Heist movie with a hero

Doctor Strange : Modern fantasy with heroes in it.

GotG : Space fantasy movie with "heroes"

Arguably Avengers 1/2 are the only true super hero movies.

And its only going to get harder to maintain in the comic year since next year and 2018 alone had a new block buster twice a week for the entire summer. So unless My pay doubles im going to start reading more and going to movies less.

normies

This is exactly why cinematic universe was a stupid fucking idea.
Its already hard to suspend your disbelief for a single super hero origin story but all of this shit happened in the same fucking universe? that's braindead
Fuck capeshit and fuck Hollywood

Why would it be braindead to assume weird shit happens in a world where weird shit happens?

he had one job

Take for example suicide squad, what's the point of all that shit if superman can just fly down and solve all problems in a split second? superheroes worked better when they were not grouped together in the same fucking universe.
Lets not even talk about the thematic differences between scifi oriented origin stories and the downright supernatural (like iron man + thor)

Dude there are tons of implications in the MCU that needs to be addressed.

Tony has the technology to power the entire world for pennies.

Caps genetics alone should cure cancer.

The Antman tech should make mass production easy.

Magic alone could unlock the potential of human kind is freely given to all instead of a chosen few.

this is why MCU needs a Doctor Doom, he would swagger in as a great villain telling the heroes they are fucking up and not living up to the potential.

how many movies to Parker makes his own company and become a badass before the retcon it?

But Marvel doesn't have Superman. They have a bunch of much weaker heroes. Hulk can't solve most problems because he just goes crazy and wrecks shit.
>superheroes worked better when they were not grouped together in the same fucking universe
So basically you've only liked the 1930's comics?
>Lets not even talk about the thematic differences between scifi oriented origin stories and the downright supernatural
Why not? Why are you willing to accept one impossible thing because it's called "muh science" but not another because it's called "muh magic"? Neither makes any real sense.

>But Marvel doesn't have Superman
thats why they will make cptn marvel

Carol "Murdertits" Denvers is not much of a replacement.

>So basically you've only liked the 1930's
Or you know the first iron man movies, the batman trilogy, the spider man movies, etc.
> Neither makes any real sense.
True but muh magic makes even less sense and if you combine the two in the same world that's just too much to take.

>the first iron man movies
Both of whom had multiple comic book characters in them. Black Widow used to be Daredevil's girlfriend and Nick Fury served in the army with The Thing.
>the batman trilogy
The first two movies worked at least.
>the spider man movies
Five movies of which only two were any good.
>that's just too much to take
You're willing to buy that a gemstone can let you control people's minds and can give a robot emotions but the moment something is called "magic" it becomes too much?
Dude, listen. You're in the extreme, EXTREME minority with your thinking. Superhero crossovers have been popular for almost as long as superheroes have existed. The worlds have science fiction, magic, gods and other such nonsense all mixed up, and this has been the case since before your grandparents were even born.

>Both of whom had multiple comic book characters in them
You are an intellectually dishonest nitpicking asshole, you know damn well those are just random humans, I'm done talking to you.

>just random humans
>Nick Fury
>a random human
Just because you don't know what you're talking about doesn't mean you have to be obnoxious about it on the internet.

Well, as a rule of film, he couldn't say all those things. It would be cause for confusion among the uninitiated. That said, I was expecting him to go back in time to the Battle of New York where he watches the Leviathans flying through the city before being pulled back by The Ancient One suddenly. Sort of as a nod that it was an incident that had happened which he was witnessing from another perspective. I don't think the visuals of that would have looked out of place or beg for too many questions. It would have been an awesome throwback Easter egg.

Relax cockfool

The movie clearly takes place somewhere around the beginning of Iron Man 2. After all, one of his potential patients is the guy who got twisted in half by the US' attempts at replicating Iron Man armor.

P. sure that was meant to be Rhodey from Civil War

Except the Director said it was nobody

:

As a mother and an atheist, I related to the BBC in Jessica Jones.

>Give Bamboo Crumbleberry a trimmed beard
>Suddenly I find him attractive

Fuck, is this how gays discover themselves?

He has no way of knowing about the Daredevil ninjas. And even if you discover aliens and superpeople created by science projects are real, it doesn't mean magic exists

100% Rhodey

Comic book movies are about having some giggles with your broobrahs, not thinking about the logical consequences of the events presented to you. They're called "comic books", not "drama books".

>movie mentions the avengers

>winter soldier name drops Stephen Strange

When the fuck does this movie take place

I mean before the time magic

No, you idiot. "Air force colonel who fell wearing armor."

Literally Civil War.

Fucking hell these idiots

They address them though
>Tony has the tech to power the entire world for pennies
And he has constantly been shown to not be the sharing type, though he does use it to power Stark Tower and keep it off the grid
>Caps genetics alone should cure cancer
And they do... In Cap. The Super Soldier program was once again scrapped after Banner became the Hulk when they were trying to revive Irskin's research
>Antman tech should make mass production easy
Cross was trying to do just that. Mass produce tiny weapons for free
>Magic alone could unlock the potential of human kind freely given to all instead of a chosen few
Any who seek it out and are willing to open their eyes and learn were given it. Remember the paraplegic who could walk? Do you think that guy was someone chosen or he happened across the Ancient One?

>This is why MCU needs a Doctor Doom
agreed. But Fox won't play ball. At the very least we could get Osborn until they get the Fantastic Four rights back.

The whole point about magic is to bend the rules of natural law as opposed to following it

Both are so dumb

but the bending has laws on itself. Otherwise why didn't Gandalf destroy the ring by stomping on it? Why did he just chant some magical shit to vanquish Sauron?

Pretty much, especially since he can gate in pretty much anywhere instantly.

You sir, do not understand magic. Just because something follows different rules than another thing, doesn't mean that it is bending the rules of the second thing. Magic just uses different rules, in every iteration I've seen it magic is always limited. Even when it's limited least as with divine magic where you are literally being given powers by the creators of the world you still have to follow rules because if you piss off the entities that gave you that power they'll just take it away. Shit even ignoring magic. EVERYTHING in existence or that can exist or will exist have to be defined by the rules in which they operate. Take these words I am writing for example; you understand the words (even if you don't understand my argument) for their meaning because we as a collective have defined them to mean something and that definition is a rule. It's the same with anything, even magic, the only way magic could "bend" rules is if it had no definition if it could literally do anything at any time no restrictions (not even our imaginations). Just because some hero or whatever can do something that most people can not does not mean they are bending rules they are just using different ones.

TL;DR: Everything in existence abides rules and laws and can not bend those rules or laws. Things may follow different rules but they still do not bend the rules that they follow.

They explained this. "Spells" are just sorcerers messing with the source code of the universe. You're not breaking laws, you're temporarily changing them.

By rules and laws I mean, in the sense that because of they universe something is in or how it works it must abide by it's definition. I don't mean that people can't decide not to follow a rule that is made by man such as parking laws. I mean rules and laws in the sense that all things are subject to gravity unless for a definable reason they are not.

o then Infinity Stones are outside of the natural order hence why using the Eye of Agamotto was "wrong"?

Yes but what I'm saying is there are other laws governing how much you can change laws. why didn't they change the laws to "and the bad guy suddenly got teleported to a antimagic cell"? Because there is another set of laws for the bending of the source code

This is just in order to make the concept of magic palatable to the acolytes of the new global religion, the Church of Scientism though.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bait to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>rejected out of hand
>reject mysticism that is just trying to explain some phenomenon
>reject the best explanation so far

You can't reject the foundation of something and expect it to stand. A lot of the early "mystic" writings on "meme" magic provide new understandings from retrospect now that we understand it sociologically. That's like saying "the answer is 7, now throw away the equation forever."

Atheists are so fucking autistic that they've forced me to sincerely worship a meme frog so that I don't have to be considered among them.

Praise Kek btw

>what's the point of all that shit if superman can just fly down and solve all problems in a split second?

Well, to be fair, he's dead during the events of Suicide Squad.

It appears that DC *is* going the route of making magic an integral part of their universe from early on, and that it's going to have tons to do with belief instead of just being poorly understood universal "cheat codes."

If I'm anywhere close to on the right track, their magic will be something more akin to how Star Wars fans thought of the Force for better than two decades - an energy field that not just anyone can tap into, and even those who can will need years of training and practice to master, and just like any other talent, your skill level will be a function of a combination of that training, practice, knowledge, and inborn natural ability.

Unlike the Force, it's going to be something that waxes and wanes in the world, and will have something to do with a sort of "mystic cosmology" where our "realm's" proximity to other "realms"(like where the "gods" dwell) affects the strength of magic in our world, and, conversely, our own belief feeds the gods, possibly even plays a role in drawing their realm(or dimension) "closer" and more accessible to our own.

Once again, if I'm right, Superman's presence on Earth will be responsible for this latest shift by virtue of becoming a focal point for the hopes and beliefs of mankind, culminating in his his sacrifice, wherein he chooses to embrace not only his role in the world, but also to some degree his actions changing the nature *of* that world, in effect becoming the voluntary ritual sacrifice that ushers in a new Heroic Age.

If the gods are kind, the full info dump will come to us in a future movie, courtesy of none other than Constantine himself.

*tips fedora*

Doctor Strange is initially set before the events of Avengers

Doctor Strange is set during the events of Iron Man 2.

You see at the start he gets an offer to fix some dude's back who snapped it testing a mech suit. It's that dude in the court video in Iron Man 2 when the government are trying to copy Stark's technology.

At this point there's been no alien invasion

This truly was a kino for m'e.

They mean "muh atheism is bad so we're going to prove you're a moron with a comic book story for children"

First part of the movie take place before Avengers movie, last part of the movie takes place after Civil War. Training lasted 1 year, plus all time he probably spend in surgeries could be another year.

Director confirmed the guy they were tallking about was not Rhodes, but however he has not confirmed they were talking about this other guy neither.

>First part of the movie take place before Avengers movie

No it doesn't. They even show the Stark Tower with the Avengers logo on it before he has his wreck.