Redpill me on this one Sup Forums

redpill me on this one Sup Forums
I want to like it so badly, but everything just sounds like the same idea played out slightly differently over the entire runtime. "Archangel" is fantastic though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1CZzCRSbKEI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

nothing to get.... just listen to it man

I more just mean "hey, tell me why you guys like this album" so I can hear other people's perspectives

this album is decent but his EPs blow it out of the water. Listen to street halo, kindred, and truant NOW

an album that opens with an inland empire sample just can't be bad

This never did anything for me. I was like that at one point.

I've been jamming to this lately tho.

Andy Stott always scratched that "alone in the city" feeling for me, especially the pair of EPs he dropped years back

I can't take my balls off youuuuuuu

when you are really into bleep, this sounds like fucking sex

Overrated. Almost fell asleep. Nothing special or memorable at all.

It's minimalist music. It works with as little as possible to get across as much as possible.

Something as simple as a beat modulating a little differently than it did last time or an effect stuttering a little bit brings a tear to your eye.

I think that's about as well as you can explain it. It's some of the most gutteral and profoundly chilling music my ears have ever witnessed.

Fuck off /bleep/, no one likes you

There is nothing more hilarious than Americans trying to understand records that are rooted in UK dance music.

Its more a passive listen than an active one if you know what I mean. Ambience. Just put it on your earbuds and forget it, go outside for a walk, or bus, it'll reveal its charms.

If Archangel is your favorite, you're fucking up big time. Honestly, this is is a pretty entry level album and if you don't like it, it could be because this genre and style of music isn't for you. I think getting into a style of music is more about where you are coming form than just the album itself. Listen to some different electronic music, and then come back to this.

i really love Endorphin and nothing else. recommend some stuff please

suicide

shell of light is good though

I made this ages ago. Friend is really into Burial but didn't know of similar artists so I scoped some out. A lot is really samey copycat future garage, but I also threw in a few choices of similar feel but not quite the same style.

Personally, I like Burial's style of future garage enough to play it every now and again when I'm in the mood, but I'm rarely in the mood.

where's groove chronicles - stone cold

Not on my list. It's a completely different feel. groove chronicles doesn't have that walking down empty streets during the dead of night feel.

but that tune is the tune that influenced burial's sound and atmosphere

That's 2 step garage. Doesn't fit. I know why you're making the connection but it's not that similar to Burial apart from that style of drum programming being the genesis of what he does, even if El-B is his hero.

just admit it you're a retard buddy

Not the same dude, though we're both telling you you're missing the point.

so you're both retards then

I'm not interested in mapping out a historic anthology of the development of a musical style. Plenty of artists sound nothing like their professed influences. I was giving suggestions of music with a similar feel to Burial as people know him.
I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand. I don't care how much stone cold might be at the genesis of Burial, they don't sound the same, and if you think reading out simple trivia compensates for lacking the ear to tell the difference between them, consider the possibility that you're the retard here.

superior in every single way

stone cold after the 2nd minute is basically a burial tune minus the vinyl crackle

wrong image though

If anything this sounds more like Burial than Stone Cold and came out earlier too.
youtube.com/watch?v=1CZzCRSbKEI

the only relation that boc track has to burial is the shuffly beats that is somewhat reminiscent of archangel

stone cold on the other has the reese bass, the haunting vocal, the car going off in the distance sound sample, the clangy garage drums, the haunting rnb vocal - all elements of the burial sound

plus the man himself said it was the tune that kickstarted his whole career

>beats
beat

I'm starting to wonder if you've actually listened to any of the stuff you're talking about or if you're just reciting things you've read on blogs.

In dry musical terms yes, but the point is still that what Burial then added to his music production, in terms of the crackle and washing it out with reverb, the experience for the listener is fundamentally different. It completely changes the mood.
The immediacy of stone cold still audibly evokes the feeling of chilling out in some comfy afterparty.
The additional effects and production employed by Burial change that completely by creating a far more desolate, lonely sounding landscape.

I tried to keep my own recc list close enough to the base music style of Burial, in range of 2-step and garage. But as far as the feeling that music evokes, there are artists out there doing the same thing to trap, witch house and cloud rap beats that Burial did to 2-step and garage, and in doing so more closely emulate the mood that Burial gives, than Groove Chronicles does.

well i was kind of only talking about the s/t album

besides i feel they have quite different sounds. there is still to much dance at the foreground on that ep.
i think on the s/t the dance music sounds like it is in the next building, turned up to 1, so all you can hear is the vibrations through the walls and the drummachine.

retard

>here are artists out there doing the same thing to trap, witch house and cloud rap beats that Burial did to 2-step and garage, and in doing so more closely emulate the mood that Burial gives, than Groove Chronicles does.
holy shit dual retard

the feeling you are describing is reminiscent of trip-hop yes, and before you start greentexting like the newshit that you are many other listeners have noted burial's atmosphere to being reminiscent of the desolent atmosphere present throughout 90's trip-hop. but still

>trap, cloud rap and with house producers are more similar to burial than the shit that influenced burial
hooooorey shet

talk about being ignorant and proud while masturbating over derivative rubbish not unlike the retards listening to the lo-fi radio station instead of the hip-hop that trash is derivative of and jerking off to ryo fukui instead of listening to the jazz musicians that he was trying to imitate

kys yourself back to reditch buddy and take the other retard itt with you

turned up to 11*

>kill yourself yourself

>before you start greentexting like the newshit that you are
pot
kettle
black

>many other listeners have noted burial's atmosphere to being reminiscent of the desolent atmosphere present throughout 90's trip-hop
As would I, just didn't seem relevant to the conversation.

>masturbating over derivative rubbish
If you return to my first post notice how I said
>A lot is really samey copycat future garage
>I'm rarely in the mood.
I'm well aware that about 90% of the shit I recc'd is literal derivative rubbish, but I wasn't trying to recommend some multi-faceted, groundbreakingly innovative music. I was recommending some titles for people who enjoy Burial and are fixing for more of the same. Those artists are the fast food of music. Sometimes people are just in the mood for a greasy big mac with plastic cheese in a chewy bun.

Over and over again you seem to be missing the fucking point of my post.

this

you chose the wrong thread to do so

alternatively you didn't and now are trying to save face

regardless your shitty post doesn't help op's problem so my advice stands. kys

>regardless your shitty post doesn't help op's problem so my advice stands. kys

Calm your tits lad. I didn't give a shit about OP's problem, I just saw a Burial thread and posted my reccs for the people I knew would be here. But okay, let's address OP's problem.

Sorry OP for being partly responsible for turning your thread to shit. To answer your concerns
>everything just sounds like the same idea played out slightly differently over the entire runtime
that's because it is. there's nothing to "get", just listen to it. If you like it enough to listen to it, listen to it. if you don't, don't.

Oh and also for why people like Burial, I already implicitly answered time and again through my posts and replies to the user with ants in his pants.
It's simply to do with the mood it creates.

It helps if you understand the culture of UK dance music, but I enjoyed it before I got into dance music.

maybe burial makes records that only people that live in cities in europe can enjoy.

some people say I have to listen to this album at 4:00 AM to get the best feel, is that true?

i would say yes - especially if you live in central london. s/t is one of my favourite records to put on in the wee hours.

I'd say between 1 and 4 AM, while taking a stroll under streetlights on empty streets in some area that is at least built up enough to not be completely rural, but not so built up as to be like Times Square where there's always activity.

I'm sure there are places in North America that meet that criteria too.

>I'm sure there are places in North America that meet that criteria too.
i'm fairly well travelled, and I have never found anything that matches the sound in a lot of north american cities compared to european cities, there is a lack of claustrophobia in american cities, which is very much the sound i get from burial records - buildings being close together, and being able to hear beats through walls.

I've been in NYC, Denver and Phoenix, traveled through Boston and Philly, and eh I kinda get you.
NYC has some of that claustrophobia, but they're not lying when they call it the city that never sleeps.
Denver and Phoenix were definitely too spacious.

But the other thing is I've grown up in rural and suburban areas, I'm really not a cityfolk and it doesn't take much for me to feel hemmed in.

the concept of never sleeping fits the bill really well, but most eurpoean cities are awake all hours in certain areas.

yeah i grew up in central london, so that is a plus too i guess

>the concept of never sleeping fits the bill really well
I and the friend I was compiling burial style music for, are the kind of people who prefer to be the only ones up in the small hours. Being in a city that is still bustling after midnight ruins the mood for me.

>yeah i grew up in central london, so that is a plus too i guess
horses for courses. If I grew up in a city I guess I'd consider it a plus too, but I didn't, and honestly can't stand being in busy places with so many people.

yeah i think that is part of the appeal for me in burials sound. it is comfy, it is familiar and i grew up listening to the music that inspired him - i am around the same age as him i think.
the bustle and background noise adds an urban element that is almost like adding field recordings, but they are just there all the time. can put in to words how it feels when sirens go past my window and i hear it over my music.

reminds me of what set fire to flames did - that reminds me of city life too (offtopic tho).

Didn't Burial describe his music as kind of an attempt to recreate the feeling of walking back at the dead of night from clubbing or some shit, with it suddenly being quiet, but the music and all of the sounds from the night are just replaying in your head? something like that.

Kek

sounds about right.

i would also get if he said something along the lines of stepping out of a club for a cigarette and hearing the walls pounding.
or similarly walking past a party.
walls pounding.
love that sound.

>You look different...

listen to kindred and rival dealer. i enjoy both those EPs much more than this album

It did little for me the first time, but there was something about it that pulled me back. The entire album feels like magic. The atmosphere, though the album is influenced by a very specific brand of dance music, and it's FROM a very specific scene in electronic dance music, yet unlike its peers, it doesn't just sound like a dark party (Skream, Milanese). Burial's music has emotion that he seemingly took as his own during this time. It sounds like a sad and rainy night in the city. There's a thick fog through the air, and on the sidewalks, the only thing that keeps the light in are dim street lamps. The air is frigid, but you're wearing enough on your body to keep yourself from the cold.
At least when I listen to Burial, and Untrue especially, that's what I feel. All of that, and a feeling of longing like I lost someone, which is is just a feeling that seems constantly present on the album.

>there is a lack of claustrophobia in american cities
well you're fucking retarded and this invalidates any further argument you make