/sgg/ - surf guitar general

vintage guitars aren't going to sink in value you impoverished third worlders edition
How do I start learning guitar?
>justinguitar.com
Suggested Practice Routine:
>i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png (embed)
Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd
Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_2_cA5HcMhk
youtube.com/watch?v=tIKhu3gSQmE
m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32798588652.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.2cdb0e7JLYJeu
clyp.it/askmdee0
clyp.it/wzi2xnrg
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/mr-tambourine-man
vocaroo.com/i/s1fHm01Xoh2G
youtu.be/jh-hzbG5FzI
youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0
youtube.com/watch?v=PXJyCT6zy5k
youtube.com/watch?v=MT6VWfzTZJs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

ぎたーがだいすき~

Get some better taste /gg/

youtube.com/watch?v=_2_cA5HcMhk

This is a reminder that you don't need to spend big for a guitar that plays/feels great, stays in tune and sounds great. This Epiphone plays/feels, stays in tune and sounds every bit as good as this Gibson after a proper setup. Learn how to set up a guitar and use an EQ pedal or your amp's tone knobs.

Forgot to mention, the Epiphone was literally $119. It is completely gig-worthy after a proper setup. Just make sure to check the neck when buying a cheap guitar. A lot of them have twisted necks. Find one with a non-twisted neck and you can make it extremely playable if you know how to set up a guitar properly.

Frets on cheaper guitars can be garbage, too. And to level the frets often costs as much as the guitar.

The frets on that Epiphone were/are just fine, but if they weren't I know how to level/crown them and you should too. You're absolutely right, though, and this is why you shouldn't mail-order a cheap guitar. You need to play it in person before purchasing it. Keep playing cheap guitars in person until you find one like my Epiphone which had a perfect neck and great frets but just needed a proper setup and some nut lubrication and filing so it stays in tune. Tuning issues are never because of the tuners; it's always the nut.

That's because the Gibson is a piece of shit too. I play a Gibson and I hate myself for it, I only keep it around for it's resale value.

I assure you that mine isn't, but I'm sorry yours is. Mine's a 2002. I don't know if that's before the QC issues they're now known for, but mine doesn't have QC issues.

>this cheap pile of shit is just as good as an expensive pile of shit

>The frets on that Epiphone were/are just fine, but if they weren't I know how to level/crown them and you should too.
I just buy gits with ss frets.

>/sgg/
>page 7
wew
Third worlders are asleep, talk about vintage American gear.

>tfw vintage Gibsons were built by dumb women

no thanks

I didn't say talk about vintage (or any) Gibson.

I bought a piano. It's a lot fucking harder than guitar.

OP is secret operative for Grimes General. With his help they'll steal /gg/ because we were unable to defend it. Somewhere, Roman is laughing at what technically amounts to our demise.

youtube.com/watch?v=tIKhu3gSQmE

I'm openly an operative for Dick Dale. Grimes is stupid and retarded. Her face looks like Stevie Ray Vaughn's face.
I like this.

Roman starts the Grimes threads too

Reminder that you only dislike Rory Gallagher out of jealousy.

Why keep all the Jazz books and other crap?

Well, he always said he'd kill /gg/. If nobody cares then good riddance.

Who is she?

What jazz books?

Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar... Just stuff in th OP.

Oh, idk, I just figured someone would make a normal /gg/ thread in a day or two so I left them on there. Do you think I should get rid of them and ad a YouTube link about tremolo picking or something if I make another /sgg/?

>mine doesn't have QC issues.
kek

Believe me your Gibson has plenty of QC issues, you're just too inexperienced to know what they are, noob.

If you've got any balls then post a few clear close up pics of the inlays so we can all have a good laugh.

thinking about ordering a $200 aliexpress chibson. What should I expect?

pls

m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32798588652.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.2cdb0e7JLYJeu
y/n

It's shit. I guarantee it.

How shit would it be compared to an Epiphone LP special II or low end Squier guitar?

First time learning scales
I just learned CM scale and I figured out that by moving it up and down the fretboard I will get all other major scales
I still don't get what I can do with this
I try playing just sounds from this scale but it doesn't even sound good

you can fuck off with that /sgg/ shit already

Can one play Minor Swing on electric?

Record yourself playing C Major, A minor, D minor, G Major as a backing track, then over the C Major and A minor play a G Major scale (improvise don't just play it up and down like a tool), over the D minor play a C Major scale, and over the G Major play C Major, but don't play any C's (or alternatively, replace them with C#'s, we call that scale the G Lydian Dominant Scale)

Post riggs boys,

>1980 trace elliot gp11 4x10
>boss ce-5

what it will give me though?

A better understanding of what notes sound good over what chord (or more importantly what notes don't sound good over what chord) and a better degree of comfort in all 5 scale shapes

You mean C major?
Yeah, moving the "shape" up and down will give you other major scales.
You might want to learn a bit more theory to know what to do with it though, but here's some quick tips:
Try to find common chord shapes within the fretboard through the scale.
For example, if your scale starts at C, and it's major scale, then C will be a major chord, the next note in the scale can be played as a minor, the third one too, fourth a major, fifth a major, sixth a minor, and seventh is a weird one.
So, now the easiest thing you can do is try to make a song with chords that can be placed in that scale you're playing.
Try playing all of them in different ways, try playing all of them in major, try playing all of them in minor.
If you have a loop pedal, play a chord, and then play parts of the scale while the chord is playing. Try to make a beat and melody sound good.
Mix more chords of the scale into the mix and play more of the scale.
There's more to learn but that's a basic one.

Try playing this:
G major, E minor, A minor, D minor, back to start.
That's a common circle to play in G major, and it uses first, sixth, second, and fifth from the scale as chords.

Or try this:
Play C major chord, and play the scale from the fifth fret sixth string (A), that's playing the relative minor over the major.
Do it the other way round, A minor chord, doing your scale from C.
Do C major but play the scale from third fret sixth string (G), do it from B, etc. Now you're learning modes over key.

I guess I should say all 7 scale shapes, but I honestly still think of it as only 5

ey Rate my gypsy shit
clyp.it/askmdee0
clyp.it/wzi2xnrg

>tfw shit at guitar but no percussion/drumming general so I have to post here

Pls practice with a metronome, you go out of tempo fairly often. Use more bass notes or some sort of percussion like your feet with the floor, the melody sounds empty otherwise.

Start one, I'd join.

i believe youll like this
soundcloud.com/samuelcfaria/mr-tambourine-man

i fuck with that first one, good stuff guy

>secret operative for Grimes General. With his help they'll steal /gg/ because we were unable to defend it.
>secret

That doesn't make any sense. Have the people here already crosspost in the grimes generals.

thanks i'll have to try later
I still only know C major and even that is barely

will do, i practice with a drum machine and just run scales or chromatics at different tempos at least 10 mins a day as of last week

Then you must be stupid or know zero music theory

What i use. And some vintage pedals here Nd there. But mostly just a dynacomp through the front and thats it.

very nice, really like the dean btw, reminds me of an old fernandes i used to have, what sort of music do you play?

Is it a meme if i say all kinds? Blues metal hard rock classic rock funk country jazz pop and shred i guess.

>playing the harmonic minor fast

>tfw reached another plateau in technique and apparently the only way to get faster is relearning to play with less tension and movement

na Sup Forums is a safe place to say ''everything'',
but thats cool my man

all of them half assed, you forgot to mention.

>Her face looks like Stevie Ray Vaughn's face.
Wrong.

What is a good cheap mic for home recording of acoustic guitar and electric bass?

I don't get your question. When /gg/ disappears from use, Grimes General will use it (again) eventually. You'll question the obvious outcome but ignore the cause: /sgg/. Do you even play Surf? I dabble but still think it's less of a draw for new posters than the more inclusive guitar general moniker.

>he doesn't live in a tone town

If you don't live in a coastal, tropical city with big waves you can fuck off with your "surf" guitar

give me one good reason why anyone would play guitar.

because they want to.

Everyone needs a hobby.

surf guitarists i
need your help

what is this song?
it's stuck in my head and i want to hear the actual song please, it's surf
vocaroo.com/i/s1fHm01Xoh2G

you won't be a nothing any more.

It's such an inferior instrument, though:
>strings break
>have to tune it
>barely 4 octaves
what

How is tuning exclusively a guitar thing? basically every string instrument - and that includes pianos - needs to be tuned.
Sure pianos don't need to be tuned nearly as often as the others but having played the cello, the machineheads on guitars are far superior to the shitty wooden pegs used on most string section instruments.

See... I used to be a guitarist. But then I upgraded to one of these:
youtu.be/jh-hzbG5FzI

But it's just not the same man.

>vocaroo.com/i/s1fHm01Xoh2G
it's "walk don't run" by the ventures; absolute surf classic
youtube.com/watch?v=WW21rcHiVU0

Is there reason to use classical guitar posture?

What I'm using to record my album (this very moment) 1/3

2/3

is that your bed? or a table set up for a child's birthday party?

holy lord thank you! i couldn't place it

>why are my ears bleeding?

3/3

Bed lol

Not even gonna pretend to claim that it is. But the thing can get so damn close... and there is so much more that you can do with it than you could ever do with a guitar. Seriously - I'm on the verge of giving up on that custom strat I was gonna build and selling my pedal collection.
I will say this. Having played the guitar prior is a HUGE boost to mastering one of these. I've been taking it around with me and letting friend musicians play around with it just to see how they react, and by far it's the guitarists/bass players who have the most fun with it/take to it the quickest over the keyboard players. Playing one is probably most like doing two-hand tapping on guitar all the time.

Hey man if you want to go for it, go for it, my opinion is simply that the two can't replace one another.
I'd love to get into using a DAW with MIDI controllers, control surfaces and eurorack synth modules, but the whole lot of it is very daunting and pricey.

keyboard, my man.

more like keybored
because it's boring

>my opinion is simply that the two can't replace one another.
Having played BOTH pretty extensively now, my opinion is that you pretty much CAN (eg. youtu.be/jh-hzbG5FzI ), although you do bring up a couple very good points:
>very daunting and pricey
You gotta actually practice with one in order to sound good, and they are pricey/require a whole new family of midi-based audio gear. But if you're a guitarist with a budget looking to expand your musical chops in other directions without loosing the essence of playing guitar, I can't recommend one of these highly enough.

Oops - meant to post a link to
youtube.com/watch?v=PXJyCT6zy5k

>Having played BOTH pretty extensively now, my opinion is that you pretty much CAN
While you noted that you think guitarists take more easily to the fluid feel of the seaboard than keyboardists, that doesn't change the fact that the seaboard and guitar are played very differently, and I think musicians get really attached to their playing habits because they associate it with the good feels of jamming out. Of course, some people will go on to infer too much. Because the playing experience is different, people will assert that you can't possibly imitate the SOUND of a guitar electronically, and will purposefully listen with the intent of spotting the tells that it's different, which is kind of self defeating but nonetheless there are differences.
Guitarists are in general a bunch of superstitious troglodytes who obsess over mojo and shit like that.

Anyway, I'm not that interested in the seaboard desu. I'd more likely want to get one of the hexagonal midi keyboards, something like the AXiS-64. I'm interested in xenharmonics, and a lot of xen music producers seem to prefer hex keyboards over standard ones which are designed for a specifically 12-TET layout
youtube.com/watch?v=MT6VWfzTZJs
there are also keyboards like the Tonal Plexus that that one lady uses for her polychromatic stuff, which seems to be an attempt to map out every single tone a syntonic comma from the last, so that you don't have to re-map/re-configure your controller for each tuning, it's all there. but that's too much to cope with when learning how to play on the interface, and probably unnecessary.

Ahh fuck, those "hexagonal" keyboards are known as generalized keyboards, isomorphic keyboards etc. forgot that but the vid i linked was playing in the background and reminded me.

i like the ventures but you can fuck off with that /sgg/ faggotry

Also i like to shove carrots up my ass

i'm thinking of recording Dazed and Confused since it uses a narrow vocal range

i dont and im gonna prove it:

dont say that

i lied i clipped the (You)s off my post because i felt shy about my carrot pegging, but im ready to admit it to you all now. i love root vegetables rammed up my cornhole

hey stop

Honestly try using your phone or a tablet if you have it. Apple “logic remote” app just updated to give instrument control support to iPhone. Some thing as a seaboard or whatever theyre called but smaller.
I play this way and it’s LOTS of fun. Plus the touchscreen adapts to different instruments like drum pads, chord pads, keyboard, etc.
There are a lot of other options to control DAWs with touch devices if you’re not a logic guy. Even things like touch osc to design your own touch-based midi controllers. Possibilities are endless and you likely already have the hardware.

whats the most complex thing you can play and sing while playing it /gg/

for example, i can play my prostate with a taproot while singing bohemian rhapsody

i am gay

gay for william iii, the og orange cunt

is it just me or the sounds are quite saturated on early Zeppelin albums

i have a focusrite scarlett interface, whats the best way to play guitar through my mac? like most realistic sounds and intuitive controls

should add i have garageband, the stock plugins are okay but it'd be cool to have better ones

amplitube always