Who are the best jazz musicians right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CY5dTBhRxOA
youtube.com/watch?v=6qwv2f5m0xM
youtube.com/watch?v=GJTnxQo9lrM
youtube.com/watch?v=0SqCTdzX5xs
youtube.com/watch?v=yP-mRLLIM-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not Kamasi Washington.

Who is then?

Tigran Hamasyan
Ari Hoenig
Avishai Cohen

all up there

jazz more like jazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz cuz it makes me sleep amirite

Pat Methney

got em

well, there is kamasi washington, and bad bad not good.
Well the list goes on

I've liked Vijay Iyer's work the last couple of years

kamasi washington is well known but in jazz circles he wouldn't be regarded as one of the best

some names you would hear a lot in jazz enthusiast circles are chris potter, dave holland, wadada leo smith, vijay iyer, rudresh mahanthappa

there are also many other great names who still make good albums but currently aren't in fashion/not in peak mode. they are still amazing, but new albums by them are probably not their best work. ex: wayne shorter and sonny rollins are alive, who are absolute legends. similarly, keith jarrett is alive, etc.

Vijay Iyer

Kendrick Lamar.

Clive and he's definitely African

kind of

youtube.com/watch?v=CY5dTBhRxOA

youtube.com/watch?v=6qwv2f5m0xM

A couple of personal faves

I don't know, but I just discovered Håvard Wiik and he's much better than this hacky fuck.
youtube.com/watch?v=GJTnxQo9lrM

Matthew Shipp
Henry Threadgill
Chris Potter
Yosvany Terry
Craig Taborn
John Escreet
Ambrose Akinmusire
Steve Lehman
Alex Sipiagin
Mary Halvorson
Antonio Sanchez
David Binney

here ya go granddads

youtube.com/watch?v=0SqCTdzX5xs

I really like Matt Wilson, though his last album is ass
Kirk Knuffke is pretty cool too

Christian Scott

Me, the black anonymous blind tenor sax player from the year 1957, I travel through time and space and learn music from the distant galaxies by ear

wow, that was crap.

Good list, except there's no Peter Evans.
youtube.com/watch?v=yP-mRLLIM-Q

Textbook JTGcore

kys yourself

great list, esp Halvorson

me desu

true dat

Brian Blade is really good

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Kamasi Washington. The soloing is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of horn instruments most of the trills will go over a typical listener's head. There’s also Kamasi's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realise that they’re not just jazzy- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike The Epic truly ARE idiots