What’s the solution to the perceived “gun problem” in the US? Is there a solution? Is there even a problem?

What’s the solution to the perceived “gun problem” in the US? Is there a solution? Is there even a problem?

>pic mostly unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There isn't a problem. If we want to address the biggest thing killing people in the U.S., it's obesity, followed by smoking, followed by various kinds of accidents (cars, falls, etc.). Followed by old-people diseases (Alzheimer's, cold/flu viruses, etc.). In fact if you want to talk about gun deaths, you have to go all the way down to the number 10 leading cause of death, which is suicide.

Yes gun deaths/murders are shocking, but murder is at like a 40-year low in the U.S. and food and tobacco companies are more than happy that we're talking about guns like they're some huge problem. You're way more at risk driving to work/school every day.

If you want to talk about problems, start with the real ones and deal with whatever gun shit is leftover after you've solved the other stuff.

I think shootings are unnecessary but I agree with the logic here.

Much less shootings, look at the actual number of people killed by ARs each year. I recall seeing an FBI statistic from like 2013 that had similar numbers of deaths caused by ARs as caused by hammers.

Theres a problem of 65% of kids being on psychotropic drugs problem in the US, every case of shooting except one the person was on one. But we will keep ignoring that and keep passing them out like candy.

Sup Forumsrit here, i like the gun law, comes from a good place.

Even in this country you have people who die on a daily basis from knife crime. It's just not reported. What you gonna do, ban the selling of cutlery.

I'm amazed just how many people own guns and how little, in reality, there is shootings.

The ban on that stock thing, that makes a semi an automatic, is pretty fair. As it is against the law to own a fully automatic.

At the end of the day, if you ban guns all you're doing is disarming the honest and arming the dishonest.

I think that phrasing it as a gun problem is leading the witness. I see a rot at the core of mainstream society, and the current string of shootings is only a symptom of a deeper problem.

I think Ray Bradbury put it well in Fahrenheit 451 when he described what was on TV in his dystopia: Flowers on top of flowers, and fireworks on top of fireworks without ever returning to solid ground. Nothing is real, society has become baseless and subjective, and people are being ground under the wheels and expected to be happy about it. I think it's especially true for young men, who are increasingly told that what they want is wrong, and to just get out of the way. The best most people can hope for anymore is to work an unfulfilling career so they can hold a struggling marriage together and keep up with their neighbors.

There's a problem all right. Over 340 mass shootings in 2017. Between 5 and 18 school shootings this year already (depending on what you call a shooting, e.g. if the shooters fails to actually kill anyone).
There is no perfect solution without infringing on freedom. But better background checks, required training/licensing, insurance if carrying, better medical care esp. mental health. Those would go a long way.
Guns may not be the #1 cause of death, but they are the #1 cause of murder. But if you want to argue for better driver training, better health care, etc, I'll back you up.

I think you have "cause" and "means" confused.

Personally I think the whole banning bump stocks thing is dumb, bump stocks are a super niche thing and you can literally do the same thing just as effectively with your hand if you spend some time learning how.

I own an AR and have never used it anywhere but the range and my farm. It will likely never be used in self defense unless I’m in my own house, get in some sort of armed altercation, the 7 rounds of 9mm I always have on me aren’t enough to solve the problem, and I somehow survive long enough to get to my rifle. I can’t imagine using an AR in a home defense situation, it would be retardedly loud. Wouldn’t even have to call the cops, the neighbors all would for 4 blocks around you

>I think the whole banning bump stocks thing is dumb, bump stocks are a super niche thing and you can literally do the same thing just as effectively with your hand
Which is exactly why bump stocks will get banned. The NRA doesn't give a shit, most gun owners don't give a shit, liberals will wrongly think that it is some kind of "step in the right direction," and Republicans can avoid losing votes from their more moderate constituents.

Say goodbye to bump stocks. The most pointless gun control measure of all time.

OP here, I personally think a better mental health system is always going to be the solution.

Arming teachers could stop someone after they’ve already initiated, but does very little to deter. Most of these autists kill themselves anyways so they’re not afraid of death.

Background checks could help, but I’d be willing to bet they would be far more effective against other forms of gun crime (which is part of the reason I think they’re shown as “not enough” by the left, they’d be far better at slowing the kind of gun crime the left likes to ignore, i.e. the kind not primarily committed by white people).

No, I mean cause. With the exception of inner city violence (gang, black on black, etc) everywhere guns have been restricted have also seen a significant drop in homicides. Seems many people are only willing to kill if they can do it at a distance.

But... But... Barrel shrouds!

Shhh, quiet. You're not supposed to point this out. The establishment loves the gun controversy, as it keeps the heat off of them. But you're correct.
Guns have existed for a long time, yet how often have people shot up churches or schools in the past? Automatics may increase the number dead, but it's not the cause of the shooting.
As long as the 1% continue to steal at the cost of everyone else. People treated as peasants, as we rush toward an authoritarian or feudal gov't where men are neutered. As long as we let the rot grow, guns or lack thereof is not the real issue.

I think like if they got rid of assault rifles and crazy ass handguns with huge clips and only allowed like double barreled shotguns and .22's it wouldn't be as bad. Idk i'm Canadian and I don't know a whole lot about guns.

Honestly. The problem I see is that the average American has a less than 50% shot at an adequate future. There is even less a chance that your average American could lead a more fulfilling life than their parents. Opportunities to have a job that pays a wage you can live by and raise a family with are basically gone and this is the outcome.

People stop giving a shit. Everyone gets selfish and the community crumbles. Doesn't help that the moral arbiters in all western nations have been too busy fucking kids for the past half century. So you have a society with a massive underclass, a crumbling middle class, no moral steward ship and an upper class who are simply trying to consolidate all the remaining resources. As I see it realising this fully can totally make you desperate for a future. And this do crazy shit like shoot a school or go join ISIS

Yeah, there is a solution, stop having stupid faggot children.

I think feudalism could be ok, so long as you have enough lords fighting it out (mostly in the court) that commoners live ok lives under them for fear of an uprising. The rise of soft corporate control is more concerning to me. I think the American system is founded on solid concepts, but its designers never expected malicious influence from non-state parties or for career politicians to be the norm.

You can supposedly have an AR mailed to your door in Canada if you do the paperwork, according to the /k/osmonauts. It sounds pretty reasonable, actually, as opposed to obstructive bureaucracy like we have in states like California or Jersey.

Ya but if I shot somebody with it breaking into my house i'd probably go to prison for the rest of my life because our self defense laws are fucked. So whats the point?

Just saying, you can get some pretty high-end shit in Canada, and with jumping through a few less hoops than the average American. If we want a new gun here, we have to either have it shipped to and transferred through a gun shop and go pick it up, or be licensed as a gun shop ourselves. Hardware isn't the issue, people just respect people more in Canada.

60% of gun deaths are suicide. You cant stop that no matter what you do.
I have no idea where you are getting mass shooting statistics from as it relates to schools.
Alot of your info is from anti gun groups. Id bet those numbers arnt even accurate.

>avoided school shooting by skipping spelling

The problem is that the gun free zones are on the honor system. A rule is only as good as it's enforcement

the solution is simple, make guns compulsory for all

since when was killing someone a problem?

even then it's incorrect

crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/

The US doesn’t have the most mass shootings.

ban people. No more problems. Period.

Do you realise how statistics work when talking about drastically different populations?

Automatic weapons are NOT illegal In the U.S.. I repeat: automatic weapons are NOT illegal in the U.S..

Automatic weapons made before 1986 can be transferred and owned by private citizens who pass a background check, pay a federal tax stamp, and receive a letter of approval by the chief law enforcement officer in the jurisdiction where they live known as a CLEO letter. The transfer must be brokered by a federal firearms license holder (FFL), who will perform this service for a fee.

Also, bump stocks do not make firearms automatic. An automatic weapon is a very specific noun that is very clearly defined in legal terms. An automatic weapon is capable of firing more than one round with one pull of the trigger. That is not what is happening with a bump sock. Bump docks use inertia to pull the trigger repeatedly. A nail in a board still do the same thing. So will a finger through the trigger guard and held on a belt loop. You can't ban inertia.

Not in my country

Kill everyone and start over.

Underrated post

This needs to be in PAYDAY!