Suede breathed new life into glam rock...

>Suede breathed new life into glam rock, developing a sound which owed as much to Roxy Music and David Bowie as it did to The Fall and Joy Division
>Pulp were superb pop songwriters, led by the most intelligent and charismatic UK frontman since Morrissey
>Blur were relentlessly creative, reinventing themselves with nearly every record they put released and leaving behind an outstanding body of work
>but the one Britpop band to become worldwide superstars consisted of a bunch of crude, ill-tempered thugs who were only interested in ROCKING OUT, MAN

Why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=E4oR7bv9kF0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They're a great bad. They had a talented frontman/singer and a songwriter with an enormous knowledge of music. They went through a period (1994-1995) where they were arguably the most important band in the world. Stop wth this copypasta.

So fucking what? Oasis made more fun and catchy music than all those bands together. And that's what matter.

>Suede breathed new life into glam rock, developing a sound which owed as much to Roxy Music and David Bowie as it did to The Fall and Joy Division
>Pulp were superb pop songwriters, led by the most intelligent and charismatic UK frontman since Morrissey
>Blur were relentlessly creative, reinventing themselves with nearly every record they put released and leaving behind an outstanding body of work

And yet not one of them wrote a song that even came remotely close to rivalling Wonderwall, DLBIA, Live Forever, Champagne Supernova, Slide Away, Supersonic, Rock N Roll Star

Oasis B-sides circa 94-96 were better than most bands finest moments will ever be.

Stay mad. Oasis are still the biggest British band of the last 30 years. Their legacy lives on in the hearts of entire generations, not just a few Shoreditch twats and now middle-aged women who used to swoon over their Damon Albarn posters

Its digestible
See who thinks no band has a song better than a bunch of pop ditties and the stolen shoegaze tone
If Oasis is good, its because they stole it

You are correct about Suede, although I don't think anyone ever compared them to The Fall or Joy Division. Early Brett interviews always showed a pile of Bowie LPs and posters.

Blur were not especially inventive, I think this is retrospective kind of thing, they changed their sound after Brit pop was done. Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife and The Great Escape are all pretty similar sonically (XTC meets "My name is Michael Caine" Madness).

What you are missing is that Oasis owed a lot to glam rock too, just the prole end of it, Slade and Marc Bolan. They were popular because of simple sing along tunes which we'd lacked for quite some time.

Pulp were great but had been around for loooong time before they made it. They were a good example of due paying and being ready for it when it kicked off.

>Modern Life Is Rubbish, Parklife and The Great Escape are all pretty similar sonically
I thought that was their intent in the first place: it's meant to be a trilogy about social classes.
Maybe they weren't inventive in that time period (because, let's be honest, who hates money when you can make a lot?) but in their later works they were.

I agree, there is the feel of a trilogy although I don't know about the concept as such.
I think Damon Albarn was very influenced by Ray Davies, so there are a lot of songs about or from the POV of fictional characters.
I think really what happened to their sound was drugs and Graham Coxon taking over. Prior to that Blur had been quite enthusiastic drinkers although people don't remember this now. I saw them live in 1995 and they more or less stumbled onto the stage.

Now I think about it, England: Past, Present and Future maybe?

Oh, that for sure, Graham was an alcoholist, and the others drank heavily as well, it shows in live recordings.
>I saw them live in 1995
I'm jelly.
I read it as
MLIR=about working class
Parklife=about middle class
TGE=about upper class
In regards to the characters in the songs.

Super Furry Animals are better than all of them

The Auteurs.

youtube.com/watch?v=E4oR7bv9kF0

this is the best rock performance ever

I like Kula Shaker. ftw

Went to a couple of their gigs in those years. Man, I miss that time.

Universality versus Regionality. Oasis talked about universal things which pretty much everyone could relate to, or at least project their own meaning towards it. Blur, one of the more acessible ones, was at its core talking about very, very British things in a very British manner (see Parklife for an example of that). Essentially, Oasis made it big because while it was part of Britpop, it didn't pigeonhole itself into Britain.

>crude ill tempered thugs

>forgetting that bonehead fucking CRIED when noel showed him champagne supernova for the first time
>noel's constant praise of the romanticism of smiths songs
>after listening to sally cinnamon, he realized that being a musician was what he wanted to do
>the entirety of noel's songwriting

say what you want, but noel had a different side to him than just "crude englishman".

The Verve>Oasis>Pulp>Suede>Blur

Bluetones

HAPPINESS
MORE OR LESS
IT'S JUST A CHANGE OF ME, SOMETHING IN MY LIBERTY

>bands peak was one year

lmao pathetic

Its because Oasis were chads while the others were lonely virgins.
Observe:
>Oasis - Roll With It
>you gotta say what you say, don't let anybody get in your way
>don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
vs
>Blur - Country House
>i am so sad, i don't know why

blur just a bit moist desu

Even Liam has been open about his dreams of rockstardom being a way to cope with the abuse he and the rest of his family suffered at the hands of his deadbeat alcoholic father.

It's not hard to see that the whole neanderthal persona that he embraced in his 20s and 30s was in large part a defense mechanism.

Stone Roses