/csg/ - Christianity General

For all things Christian
Catholics and Protestants alike are welcome to discuss theology. Try to be polite.

Atheists also welcome, but try to be constructive.

Pastebin for believers and curious folk.

pastebin.com/xMQ9wAwW

Friday, June 4, 2016

Liturgical Year C, Cycle II

Readings for Mass
First Reading: Ezekiel 34:11-16
Responsorial Psalm: Psalms 23:1-3, 3-4, 5, 6
Second Reading: Romans 5:5-11
Gospel: Luke 15:3-7
Today's Rosary: The Sorrowful Mysteries

Good Scenes to watch

>Jesus Anime
youtube.com/watch?v=8d-uB0vaoQo
>Jesus of Nazareth Sermon on the Mount:
youtube.com/watch?v=MDCbJ4vnMNg
>Jesus chases Jews out of the Temple
youtube.com/watch?v=kEtBs6j7QgU
>Jesus gives sight to the Blind....and takes sight from those who can see
youtube.com/watch?v=pY7vamVg99E
>Roman Centurion has more faith than anyone in Israel
youtube.com/watch?v=SNLSBjYDPko

>Ben Hur scenes
youtube.com/watch?v=tVlf7OiiTJE
youtube.com/watch?v=Fbt2UUthWg0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0
youtube.com/watch?v=gj4vdYZuW4E
bibletools.org//index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/1576/Satans-Deception.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=lUaSfF0mcX4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Age_of_the_Earth
my.mixtape.moe/yerinm.webm
creation.com/age-of-the-earth
creation.com/how-old-is-the-earth
youtube.com/watch?v=cxMkMBXAVZ8
creation.com/unpermineralized-hadrosaur-bones-alaska
youtube.com/watch?v=9UoTPExYpIM&index=3&list=PLftzcs-q3kU7pR8s8S6_LkyH6Y_fe1BWm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
youtube.com/watch?v=2RUvrSu6_CQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First. I can't believe we've had these threads non-stop for a few days, it's great.

God bless all of you.

'bout time someone started another one of these threads

What denominations do we have here today?

Catholic reporting in.

Orthodox

a must watch series
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF170B126002E7CB0

the Papacy is the antichrist system
youtube.com/watch?v=gj4vdYZuW4E

DEUS VULT

Based Roman Catholic here

on Satan's deception

bibletools.org//index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/1576/Satans-Deception.htm

>cuck general

not an argument

This is something I never thought I'd see here. I'm impressed with the works. The end will be horrible and we will be watching from the sky as Gods wrath is poured out on the earth. I look forward to seeing my brothers in Christ when the trumpet sounds. It may not seem like it sometimes, but a difference has been made and souls have been saved from the coming tribulation. Peace is coming soon.

.t Watchman on the wall

is too

>an argument
KJV-only fundamentalist Baptist reporting for duty. Armed and ready for Sodom and Gomorrah part two. Please discard all Jewish fables at your nearest trash bin.

youtube.com/watch?v=lUaSfF0mcX4

enjoy your Sumerian Babylon incestuous Sun Cult

just know, you've been warned

So, I don't know if I'll be swaying on this anytime soon, but how do you guys feel about someone who doesn't buy the few-millenia-old deal? It feel like God woulda had to break a lot of physical laws he made for us to have a 6000-year-old universe or whatever, and it's not like he needed a whole seven days to make everything. I don't see the seven days thing as something that needs to be taken as anything other than figurative, and to say that doesn't even feel like picking and choosing to me.

I mean, light is still reaching us from things that are billions of light-years away. Yes, God could have pulled some shenanigans to make that work, but it seems awfully strange when just creating it in a Big Bang would be an equally-viable choice, more consistent with the rest of how existence works.

I want answers to this.

I'm not sure you'll find a lot of creationists anymore. Catholicism actually backs up the belief of evolution. Anyways, you have to look at the Bible as a collection of books written by various authors inspired by the Holy Spirit, it's not a single book. Each book should be looked at differently, almost like different genres, where some can be take literally and others are to be taken symbolically. :)

Just the same person you're replying to, but I don't think it's something to fret about too much. Stuff like that's not really the point of the Bible, it's the messages. In the end, it's just a book written by humans, a collection of historical documents about events and lessons relating to our faith and creator. If God actually told someone the literal process through which He created everything, neither the writers not readers would be able to comprehend any of it, let alone prehistoric humans.

Still. It's usually stupid for one to think they're in good company on Sup Forums as a Christian, but if this thread is legit then I wanna know how actual Christians here feel about this stuff.

Looks like I'm on the money. I'm really starting to get curious about how hardcore Creationists think, how on earth would the concept of evolution contradict God's existence in any sense? Do they not believe God would be capable of setting off a comparitively simple chain reaction from prokaryotes to humans? Do they just not think things through?

I do still find a lot though. Some mentors I had for a mission trip a few years ago found evolution and a billion-year universe laughable, and strangely these were otherwise rather bright and quick-witted people.

I like you

Non denominational...I don't think I'm a special snowflake or anything...I'm just a Christian, nawmean?

I am surprised too. Maybe /csg/ will be one of those "constant" threads that we have here like /sg/ and /tg/.

I feel ya.

What do you guys do at services? Do you have a priest/pastor? I'm curious.

Its saterday:Saturday, June 4, 2016

Liturgical Year C, Cycle II

First Saturday

Today's Mass

Saturday of the Ninth week in Ordinary Time

Readings for Mass
First Reading: Second Timothy 4:1-8
Responsorial Psalm: Psalms 71:8-9, 14-15, 16-17, 22
Gospel: Mark 12:38-44
Immaculate Heart of Mary - Optional Memorial

Readings for Mass
From the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary
or
From the Proper of the Season
or
From this reading
Gospel: Luke 2:41-51
Blessed Virgin Mary - Optional Memorial

Readings for Mass
From the Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary
or
From the Proper of the Season
Today's Rosary: The Joyful Mysteries

miejmy nadzieję, anonku

deus vult

Thanks for using my pastebin. God bless your soul for trying so hard with these people.

I'm catholic and as such I am not obliged to subscribe to creationism, but I do believe that humans were created by God and did not descend from a common ancestor of monkeys gorillas and apes. The fact is that there are no fossils (that I'm aware of) that suggest any kind of support for the theory in my opinion. For example, where are the intermediary evolutionary species? and where are the fossils or other proofs of a common ancestor? I have many reasons for believing this way; just one is the belief in an eternal soul which I believe we do not share in common with "the other primates." I find that there's a lot to macro-evolution that is missing, which weakens its validity as a theory in my opinion

Peter really nails in and so does Jesus Christ nail in that the Flood really happened. So you might as well accept you've been lied to and start doing research.

Try creation.com.

This is tantamount to calling the Apostles, and Prophets liars and thus God a liar.

>> 6000-year-old universe or whatever
I don't think this is in the bible at all.

Adam and a few of his descendants where given the longevity of nearly a thousand years. It also says the lord doesn't have the same perception of time that the average joe on the street would.

Read the book...

>What do you guys do at services?
We consecrate bread and wine, transforming it into the literal body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. In this way, we fulfill the command of our Lord to eat his body and drink his blood, as is written in all four of the canonical gospels
>Do you have a priest/pastor?
Yes, we have at least one priest at each mass as a validly ordained priest is necessary to perform the act of consecration

It's really a beautiful thing. Before I committed myself to becoming Catholic, I could sense a warm sense of peace when in a Catholic sanctuary, kinda like that "home-y" feeling you get sometimes, only even more peaceful..

>This is tantamount to calling the Apostles, and Prophets liars and thus God a liar.
>This
What is "this"? Maybe you misread my post

Ignore him. He is probably dumb enough to think that Bible is all literal. When this meme from XIX century will die?

The bible is true. Someone saying they are a Christian and not believing the bible is stupid.

A Catholic said they don't believe the book of Genesis.

You're essentially saying 'I believe in the Word of God (Jesus) but not in the Word of God (bible).

It's calling God a liar. If He speaks truth and you don't believe Him, how can you have any faith?

Catholicism is not biblical. It's essentially man-made traditions with bells and whistles.

sorry, i mis-typed -- "we" don't consecrate the bread and wine, rather the priest is the only one who has the power to do this. I meant to say that we fulfill our Lord's command by consuming his precious body and blood.

I was largely a theist until two or three years ago. I've only recently gotten back into church and reading the bible.

Catholic

>only the parts i agree with are literal

Literally an SJW nigger.

Catholic

Jesus Christ is the only true mouthpiece of God. The rest of the bible is man's interpretation of God.

I believe that the bible is Holy. I believe that the bible is the infallible Word of God. I believe that there are many ways to interpret the bible. I believe that there is only one correct way to interpret the bible. I believe that the correct way of reading the bible is NOT to take everything written in the bible to be a literal statement.

Did you follow? Or do I need to explain further?

Young-earth Creationism is incredibly silly. It's primarily motivated by a misreading of Scripture. They believe that death and all predation came into being with the Fall, but that's false, only the death of Man did.

>Romans 5 "Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned—sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law."

There's also the fact that Adam and Eve were sustained by eating of the Tree of Life, and presumably then could each have died. But this eating of fruit itself points to the death of plant life and even animal life.

So really their strained solutions are really unnecessary. Avoid them.

I'm just trying to say we're all creationists. I'm sorry if that doesn't come across.

God created the heavens and the earth as they are. Its very much a literal 6 days of creation in the Bible. Science does back up a young earth and a uniquely created solar system. Its just not popular with the world. The gospel message isn't popular either. That doesn't mean there are legitimate reasons for believing everything in the bible is absolutely true and a good way of interpreting data that we do have. Instead of trying to apply large dates to things that doesn't make any sense. We can look at the geological record and understand why if we date it with carbon 14, its no older than 6000~ years old but if we use other long form dates using the presumption that things evolved we have a different picture that doesn't really make any sense at all.

I'm not good at explaining this but I really would suggest watching stuff by Dr. Don patton and trying out Creation.com and Creationwiki.

If books are your thing. Try God Has Spoken and Genesis Flood 50th edition. There is a lot out there.

If youtube is your thing try Northwestcreation nestwork.

Compromising your faith to fit worldly beliefs is not a good idea.

>cannibalism of a dead jew as a ritual
>jesus is omnipresent, so he is inside us all RIGHT NOW and loves us

not weird or gay at all

Explain why Peter and Jesus Christ both referred to the great flood as a real historical event.

There are actually things in the bible that even very fundamental Christians think to not be "literally" true, but are still "metaphorically" truer than anything else that people consider true, using symbols to explain things. I think almost the whole bible is literal though

I have this book written by Pope Benedict XVI but I haven't read it yet. You might want to check it out though

Also explain why the lineages of Christ go back to Adam and Eve.

catholic

I admit that I have not investigated creationist claims thoroughly at all, but it's only because I see it as something of a non-issue.

What I will say is that the RCC does not teach that the 7 days are literally 24 hour days, and it does not prohibit Catholics from believing that they WERE in fact literally 7 24 hour days. As with many things, there is no definitive, binding Church teaching on this matter.

Where do I speak of a Flood or where do I say that Adam and Eve didn't exist?

That excellent reading ability rearing its head again, huh?

>I believe that there are many ways to interpret the bible.
Thou shalt not kill.

>we shouldn't kill on sundays
>we shouldn't kill at christmas day
>we shouldn't kill INNOCENT people

This kind of stupidity happens when people try to bend God's Word to their own desires, to justify their lifestyle or beliefs. The same thing happened in Catholicism.

Pharisees are just like Catholics. God rebuked those people then, and since He doesn't change...

>well God said this, but the Pope on the other hand...
>well God said this, but did He really mean it?
>well God said this, but He probably means this...

Daily reminder, this garbage is satanism and directly caused the fall of man.

Genesis 3:1
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

Daily reminder that your enemy caused man to doubt God's Word.

Are you the macaroni that was roleplaying as a militant atheist today?

>compromising my faith
Never did I ever.

orthodox

I never said the Flood didn't happen, I just don't believe the dinosaurs and shit were around then.

>but I do believe that humans were created by God and did not descend from a common ancestor of monkeys gorillas and apes
Yeah I could believe this too, I take no issue there.

>calling apostles and prophets liars tantamount to calling God a liar
Humans aren't God. The Bible was written by humans, who could only give it their best at understanding God. And I wouldn't call them liars so much as mistaken, or just not speaking literally.

God and Jesus used metaphors in dreams and parables to get His point across. I think the only issue you should take with these interpretations is the times when people try to use them as leverage to say the Bible is outright false.

Lastly, what even is 7 days if they started before we had a formed, spinning Earth?

It isn't a nonissue though. Look at how much a great lie like evolution has damaged the faith?

Its illogical to believe that Christ existed and is God, and things evolved when the Bible says the exact opposite. The stars were created as they are. The Kinds of animals were created as they are. The Ark was a real boat that carried all the Kinds of animals in pairs or 7s.

Things like this should be addressed and not compromised. God is not a liar and the data shows he isn't. We have just passed the buck to people who would happily interpret data in a atheist worldly way.

no. I am prophecy macaroni

I really don't understand why you believe in a old earth at all then.

>a lot of nonsense about Catholics being evil
>a lot of regurgitated propaganda
>no logic, no argument, poor presentation
0.5/10 and I'm being generous there, friend. Look not to your own understanding....

I do believe dinosaurs were around then walking with people. We have fossils showing footprints of people and dinosaurs side by side and the bones of dinosaurs often have blood and blood vessels in them still which should of decayed LONG AGO.

Not to mention that the geological record is a mess and is more like looking at one single catastrophic event. I.E the flood.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism#Age_of_the_Earth

protestants will never have this much swag:
my.mixtape.moe/yerinm.webm

>We have fossils showing footprints of people and dinosaurs side by side and the bones of dinosaurs often have blood and blood vessels in them still which should of decayed LONG AGO.
American education.

creation.com/age-of-the-earth

creation.com/how-old-is-the-earth

youtube.com/watch?v=cxMkMBXAVZ8

We can play this game of cat and mouse if you want to.

For me, the issue is peoples' seemingly TOTAL adherence to the theory of macroevolution, kinda like i originally said. I find that "evolutionists" are often just as much if not MORE religious than their Christian neighbours.

creation.com/unpermineralized-hadrosaur-bones-alaska

>creation.com

youtube.com/watch?v=9UoTPExYpIM&index=3&list=PLftzcs-q3kU7pR8s8S6_LkyH6Y_fe1BWm

You might enjoy this playlist.

>*tips fedora

I'm not an atheist. You Americans are just retards.

The love of God just isn't in you.

A brain is not in you.

What a nationalist. Tell me that when you are in hell, faggot.

I'm not the one who offhandedly dismisses the thought that God created things as he said he did and calls him a liar.

Belarus bringing the bantz

>Literalism

I will see you there.

THe book of genesis is not literally written by God, bro

>I will see you there.
Nope. Unlike you I work for god as one of his servants.

>The Ark was a real boat that carried all the Kinds of animals in pairs or 7s.
I don't doubt this. Hell, I don't even doubt things that are physically impossible, that stuff isn't an issue for God, but evolution is something we see happening within our lifespans. One species of finch splitting into fourteen that can no longer spawn fertile offspring on the Galapagos Islands, this is something that has been documented. I don't think there's much wrong with believing what you believe, but I do take issue with how much you dwell on this, to the point you'd denounce fellow Christians as heretical. That is what hurts people, that is the shit that makes atheists of us. You don't have to agree, but don't shun. All we know is that those words were written, it's not like we need to follow one way of interpreting them if we still have our faith that in some way, it's truthful and valuable information. Someone straight-up calling Genesis "bullshit" would be reprimandable, but those here simply believe the description of creation is as it is for the sake of another reason or a lesson.

Not taking something literally doesn't mean we don't believe it as truth. No one called Jesus a liar for telling parables, he had very good reason for each of them.

The book of Genesis was written by Moses as an account given to him by God.

So yes it is.

You don't get to decide whether you go to heaven or not. Nobody knows which one you will go to except God.

>post yfw "pagan" LARPers can't come up with any better arguments than screaming "LE KEK!!!"

>when your parents are unironically Christian

I think it's kind of sad tbqh

I don't understand how anyone can believe in a god or gods when there is absolutely zero existence for any of it

>generalizing a whole group of people that includes tons of different races and cultures that vary region to region

No lad, it is you that is le "retard"

I know but I'm just baiting you and you're failling for it pretty good.

>I was only pretending

>generalizing a whole group of people
You might be on the wrong board.

Brilliant! Ha ha! Merely pretending to be retarded. What a classic jape, my friend. Have an upvote!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
the english version of the wiki page sucks. In the italian version there are translations of eye witnesses. One of them was a natural sciences professor, who describes the event in a very empirical way and admits he could neither explain not had he ever experienced something like that before

Another miracle:
youtube.com/watch?v=2RUvrSu6_CQ

We have never seen evolution. Evolution implies the introduction of new information into the system.

We have only ever seen divergences via deletion of information implying a original source Kind of animal that all the ones we have today branched from.

We see a downward horizontal spiral downward in everything from wolves to dogs and humans every generation. Dogs are unhealthy and wolves are not because they are closer to the original kind. Humans every generation create 100 more deleterious mutations than the last.

What we have seen and what the data tells us is that we are spiraling down, and divergences in species happen because of epigenetics, deletions of information or negative mutations.

Nah, I'm on the right board. It's just nice to let reality filter in sometimes to make sure people don't actually believe 100% of le ebin meme they spout

>you can only behave in one way or you're on the wrong board

Lol, no

>2016
>Believing something came from nothing
OUT

Not all miracles are from God. Remember Peter said that even the devil can show up as an angel of light. Still its worth pointing out stuff like this.

truly a fisher of men