Do you think electric guitar will top the charts again any time soon? if yes, in what form/genre?

do you think electric guitar will top the charts again any time soon? if yes, in what form/genre?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lCCJc_V8_MQ
youtube.com/watch?v=LNZKqhXCv5c
ericdingus.bandcamp.com/album/post-suicide-limerence
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

where do i find a qt keyboardist bf

I don't think instruments don't matter that much.
Take a hit of the charts and replace the synth with a guitar and it would be just as successful.

i highly doubt it
maybe electric guitars will come back into the mainstream as a reaction to the overexposure of electronic based pop/hip hop stuff but I don't see that happening for a while

>electric guitars will come back into the mainstream as a reaction to the overexposure of electronic based pop/hip hop stuff

those are my thoughts as well. i feel that a wave of some form of mainstream rock is cooking but will last a way shorter time due to every fad nowadays lasting nothing

Good times create the need for powerful, emotional, honest music
Bad times create the need for escapism, and party music.
In a few years when America has gone full MAGA, rock music will come back to the mainstream.

So if you're lead vocals AND play Bass, you'll have 4 girlfriends... but you aren't allowed to fuck them

ok so which ones rock according to you?

It won't happen
Rock bands don't know how to write pop hooks anymore, because they don't listen to pop music anymore.
Rock fans expect "integrity" and shit, they're not allowed to "sell out", or make happy party music.
There really isn't an avenue for a rock band to do well, and be respected.

I think that being the vocalist cancels out everything else that is in conjunction with. except maybe when its the drummer the one who sings

>Good times create the need for powerful, emotional, honest music
>Bad times create the need for escapism, and party music.
The 90s seem to disprove this canard. I mean, the music was a lot more lighthearted and silly in the late 90s during the Dot Com Bubble days.

Metal is deader than alternative rock desu.

Absolutely.
The kids being born today will grow up seeing electronic music as a "dad" thing, much like current generations see guitar as a dad thing.
I'm guessing in 15 to 20 years, music is going back to plain old rock and roll. The youth of the future will be sick of electronic music production.

But rock will be a grandad thing like we see rock n roll and popular song of the 40's and 50's.
The next generation will find their own shit.

This but of course the problem is the people that listen to guitar-based music/indie stuff don't stream all that much. And the charts these days (in America) are mostly streaming, and then sales and radio play as well.

>late 90's
>numetal, post grunge, gangsta rap
It was changing though, there was a sense of the shift coming and when 9/11 hit it changed for good.

> Implying Trump is planning or even intends to actually MAGA

Geddy Lee

"When I was coming up, it wasn't an insurmountable mountain. But for performers who are also songwriters, the creators, for rock music, soul, blues, it's finally dead. Rock is finally dead. The death of rock wasn't a natural death, it was murdered. When you can just download anything for free, who cares if the people who worked on it get paid? There won't be another Beatles. You can play the game. Thirty years from 1958 to 1988. In that time, you had Elvis, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, U2, AC/DC and since then, give me the new Beatles. I don't think any new rock stars are going to come along any time soon either. I mean, no one would recognize Thom Yorke on the streets of Pasadena. I've been with Dave Grohl and he doesn't have that effect either. When he's walking down the street, you wouldn't know who he is, whereas when Prince walked down the street, he was instantly recognizable. Look, the system is broken, and because the system is broken, new rock bands are very fragile. They're like babies. You need to give them love and caring and give them a chance to come up with their better stuff… But if they were living in their mother's basement and had to work for a living, which is what's going on today, it's not going to happen."

My thoughts exactly. People act like the only genres that will ever exist are the ones we have currently.

Sure, their rock will be different than 50s rock and roll, but they'll go back to playing guitars and rocking drumkits. They'll see electronic music production and "DJing" to be an old man's thing.
I could be wrong, but that's my prediction.

>They'll see electronic music production and "DJing" to be an old man's thing

Gangsta rap had been around since Straight Outta Compton and post grunge was just a fake genre invented by the record industry.

>The U.S. economy continued a strong summer, adding 209,000 jobs in July vs 183,000 jobs expected, while the unemployment rate fell to 4.3 percent, the lowest since March 2001, according to a government report Friday.

It has already begun my friend

Synthesizers and specially computers allow for such a wider range of sounds that going back to guitar, bass and drums would be a giant step backwards.

Glitch pop is the future.

I think he means how the late 90s was all boybands and pop punk.

I actually agree that this is the most sensible explanation in here. Bands became so far up their own asses and obsessed with indie cred that they forgot how to write songs with hooks.

Electronic music couldn't replace guitars though (or any real instrument for that matter), it lacks a key element which is expressiveness and soul, and that's key to making good music.

>posts the effects of Obama's policies
Pmsl

>>>/tumblr/
>>>/anywherebuthere/

charts are based on people dumb enough to buy music in 2017

if you want to support a band buy merchandise directly from the artist if possible, cut out the record label (although I consider vinyl as merchandise)

The next/current wave is odd. It's a generation of born computer users. They could shape their taste however they wanted. You can have fans of any genre nowadays. Hell, it was the last generation to see cockrock having an impact.

So... assuming millenials end at roughly 1995 (generally accepted), what has Gen Z given us so far?Yung Lean and his offshots, mostly. They grew up with the last vestiges of rock in mainstream society, often from parents/older brothers/cousins, but nowadays there is a fair bit of psychedelia out there; but they also grew up heavily intertwined with rap and electronic pop. Basically, it's stuff like Lil Peep and Lil Pump and Yung Lean - that's the music made by Gen X right now. Yet on the side of rock, cockrock hasn't entirely died out. Greta Van Fleet is still out there and its from Gen X. There are still rock bands making rock that you can't really deny it's rock.

Will it ever go back to the top? I can't say. But the truth is - the current generation does not have any issue with them. They just don't see it as essential. So if we're to know what will happen with guitar music, we have to wait. Gen Z's first few years are coming to the music market and they have a very different outlook on music.

>Sure, their rock will be different than 50s rock and roll

I mean, seriously? Rock in the 70s was very unlike the 50s and the 90s was also very unlike the 70s.

Don Henley is the coolest Eagle.

What /r/music thread was this copypasted from?

90's pop punk is pretty desillusioned with its mediocre life. It's songs about slackerism and being a pothead and aimlessness. Hell, Enema of the State even points that out very strongly, even at its weakest points.

>Yung Lean
>Lil Peep
>both born 1996
>Gen X
Dude...Gen Xers would be their parents.

I'm not exactly on the best mental state right now, and Z and X are pretty close. Mistype and my brain has random memory wipes.

Oh my fucking god.

youtube.com/watch?v=lCCJc_V8_MQ

Children, this is your brain on pot.

Not even pot, I had a nasty allergic reaction to a malfunctioning air conditioner and this is due to the medicine.

Eons ago, in the strange time when punks and stoners disagreed about everything except whether disco sucked, rockist sages would complain bitterly about all the ways dance music wasn't alive. It was prefabricated, they charged--mechanical beats and studio thrills stripped of human error, with producers exerting such complete control that the so-called artists were little more than names on a label. More ecumenical souls wanted to deny these insults outright, but unfortunately, there was truth to them. The proof came whenever the latest flash made her or his pitiable attempt to cash in with a personal appearance. These were almost always solo--without label subsidies and concerted image buildup, backing bands were literally insupportable. The norm was a brief set in a club designed for dancing during which the name on the bill attached itself to a body and emoted the words over tracks blasted from a cruddy PA. Soul has-beens and never-wases did what they could to invest this format with whatever audience skills they'd accrued on the usual hodgepodge of small stages. With the younger hitmakers, fans were grateful to be spared actual lip-synching.

>beep beep boop beep boop

>*twang twang twang*

Wow, such heart. Much emotion.

> Bitch Bitch BATCH

Stop being faggots, both of you. . .

A twang indeed has more heart and emotion since it isn't produced by a computer.

Both electric guitars and synthesizers produce sound using electrical signals dumbass.

Why would producing your music with a different inanimate object make it more 'emotional'?
what does it even mean for music to have emotion?

And? The sound has of a guitar has its origin in the playing of the physical instrument, not computer programming.

hahahaha yes! I love this thread, rock and roll will never die!!! Nobody is too old for some good old fashioned rOCK! guitars are our last hope of real GOOD MUSIC in a world of justin Bieble and Nicky Minaj or whatever there names are!!!! Kids today dont know what real music is, I mean REL MUSIC PLAYED ON REAL INSTRUMENTS!!!!!!!!

Anyone care to join me as I rock out to The Wall or Bohemian Rhapsody tonight? (might even have a few drinks to go along with it (don't tell the wife!!))

-Guitar/bass/piano/midi player here saying you can play emotional music on ANYTHING, if Gary Moore can make a shitty love song on a George Foreman Grill then all power to him.

The twang is still happening, it's just not resonating so it's quieter. It's translated to an electrical signal instead.

Dumbass.

>bleep bloop insecurities
many such cases!

You're right, there's a lot of emotion in a text editor or a web browser too. It's the same thing ultimately.

This type of person "died" (really, just stopped complaining loudly over the internet) back in 2012.

>5 whole years without seeing a comment on youtube

I'm impressed, user.

itt: mad bitches without classical education.

Uncle Bob knows.

I'M TRAINED CLASSICALLY
I'M TRAINED CONTEMPORANEOUSLY
YOU'LL NEVER BE LIKE BOWIE
SUCKA

how does it being produced by a computer have anything to do with the amount of heart and emotion put into it

Did you use it to write a melody that meant something to you? If so, then yeah. I a guy that can play as good as Yngwie, problem is he puts ZERO emotion into his playing, he literally just posts videos on his page of him shredding another mode at 64 notes per second and people worship him for it, never plays shit with emotion. Are their midi musicians that don't use emotion either? Hell yeah, but there's enough producers who make something good with their sugar packets.

I had classical education twice, first time was middle school band when I didn't give a fuck about music, I didn't learn shit. Then I took guitar lessons, firs tteacher was a band teacher who tried to teach how to read music with it, discouraged tabs to the max, guy couldn't play for shit. Then I go to my folk music school and learn everything up to the point where I relearned how to read music and everything as well as piano and it all made sense.

Point is, fuck kids who say you need to know classical notation to be a musician, those are the people who are pissed at people who can't read music but get pussy for the music they write and play anyway.

The composition can have the same amount but the performance can not because the dynamics can not be altered in the moment by the hands in a natural fashion. The sound of the body interacting with the instrument cannot be replicated.

if you guys actually want guitar music to come back (and by guitar music i mean the 4-5 people band with rock instrumentation) there needs to actually be some innovation. shoegaze is the only form of rock music that still provides any kind of guitar innovation sonically. and half of those guys are failing to do with 6 pedals with what mbv did with 3. only a handful of metal bands are doing anything interesting with their guitars from a technical perspective. you can talk shit about djent bands like animals as leaders but how many guitarists make you go HOLY SHIT these days? this shitty mentality where everyone is afraid to shred needs to fucking go

also if you stupid fucks actually listened to the new hip hop music then you'd realize that they're desperate for guitars. guys like greaf make really awesome beats that are all guitar. frank ocean's last album was all guitar. if they were capable of devoting enough time to an instrument they would.

finally, at some point emulation of instruments will be mostly indistinguishable from the real thing, and all music will be devoured by electronic music regardless of if it sounds like a "real" instrument or not. so we should have fun while we can

> says shogaze is the only interesting guitar music today
> refers to hiphops need for guitars, but only talks about 'Le White-boy' messiah of rap

If you make music or listen to music for any reason other than feeling it then you're just another Urban Outfitters poser who listens to Sup Forums-cores

KISS had an album "Animalize", so called because Paul Stanley said "Too much music these days is being made with computers. I wanted to make a point about how making music by pushing buttons is no fun."

> says shogaze is the only interesting guitar music today

no i didn't

>refers to hiphops need for guitars, but only talks about 'Le White-boy' messiah of rap

you're not worth me taking the time to come up with a giant list to shit on you with. one of those artists is very influential in his underground community, the other is extremely fucking popular. if you're too stupid to see the trend then stay stupid

>If you make music or listen to music for any reason other than feeling it then you're just another Urban Outfitters poser who listens to Sup Forums-cores

lol in a thread about "how do we force guitar music to be popular again" you decide to stay some dumb shit like that

When I say expression, take the thousands of Chuck Berry covers over the decades. Yet none of them can perfectly nail his licks. They can't get the groove and tone right, even Keith Richards who knows every CB song note for note has never been able to pull it off.

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

great recession was in 2008 and rock still wasn't what I'd consider popular

>thinks learning guitar from a fucking band teacher can be considered a classical education
Half the band teachers I know don't know shit about classical. You don't have to be classically trained to be a good musician (I'd argue the jazz guys are more well-rounded actually), but your anecdote is garbage

Phhh, I didn't read the topic for shit, I just saw the image and assumed it was another thread about who get's laid more and saw bitchers being bitches arguing about which instrument was better.

youtube.com/watch?v=LNZKqhXCv5c

how can rock music compete with this?

I agree about the lack of pop sensibilities in modern guitar music, especially metal. Why is it that Dio and Maiden could make catchy songs you can sing along to, but anyone to have come along this side of the millenium is incapable of anything but growling some unintelligible vocals about eating fetuses by the light of the Moon?

well i'm glad that my stoned ranting captured your mind but i'm pretty much right about everything

deafheaven had the right idea as far as making guitars sound weird

Sorta, but they only had interesting songwriting up to Sunbather, after that they were so average in their song writing. Liturgy had more interesting guitars though I thought for trendy bm, was like louder faster Lightening Bolt.

No. Most young people nowadays don't give a shit about electric guitars. Ukuleles and acoustics are what they seem to care about.

i was actually thinking kind of the same but in the opposite way, i think we need 808-heavy drum machine-based rock of all rock subgenres (shoegaze with 808s and trap-like hihats? that sounds fuckin wild)

>Most young people nowadays don't give a shit about electric guitars. Ukuleles and acoustics are what they seem to care about.

He's completely correct

you're not wrong, but they tried to be more basic on new bermuda pretty much because of hipster black metal and that other horrid band ghost bath.

and triple H needs to be burned at the fucking stake for that little manifesto that he made. his delusion is so strong that he manages to make people think that liturgy doesn't suck

this is synth based but already exists and it is wild indeed

ericdingus.bandcamp.com/album/post-suicide-limerence

He means he and his shitty indie band with ukuleles doesn't play electric.

Because only top 40 acts should exist and matter. Is that right?

Most of the classic rock canon weren't played on top 40 though.

>music production is easier than ever
>songwriting is easier than ever thanks to the internet
>people worse at writing music more than ever exactly because its easier
>being financially relevant in a band is harder than ever
>making music with a chorus or a riff at least long enough to have a following with is now a grave sin

i'm fucking tired of people like you

The Artwork was a decent album, it wasn't black metal though, it was just, stuff? However, I have no intention to really listen to anything else by them other that that, I heard misc cross and upside down cross album once or twice and it was bleh.

the keyboardist for ween is gay lol
the bassist has a gf tho

I wish we could ban all those awful indie bands with a girl singer and nu male musicians.

The backbone of rock used to be the middle-level bands which had songs with hooks but still too heavy for the radio. That's what's missing now for some reason.

not enough money to live unless you're doing it black flag style

this is very true. Its about Rap now, and to a lesser extent EDM. I think rock is totally dead which is a shame, but just something that was inevitable.

he was right when he said rock didn't really die a "natural death". its not a coincidence that the generations of rappers that grew up as rock was finally dead all are emo

Man, at least hide your samefagging better.

How many years has it been since Moot added those (You) things and people still think their shooped MS Paint screencaps are fooling anyone.

The /r/music in these posts is strong...

i could have shooped it but i didn't it. i've been posting in this entire thread, and for some reason your neurotic theory still managed to be wrong

it takes one to know one is true when talking about reddit

PORTLAND
O
R
T
L
A
N
D

Don Henley was rolling in the puss my man

What don't you understand about my post?