So I just realized that death is inevitable and it's going to happen to me one day. I'm all fucking bummed about it

So I just realized that death is inevitable and it's going to happen to me one day. I'm all fucking bummed about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GoJsr4IwCm4
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5069819/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Death is a natural part of life, so dont worry just be happy

Today is the day. Do it right now.

You shouldn't be. It literally won't happen for decades.
youtube.com/watch?v=GoJsr4IwCm4

If everything goes well, death should be a welcome release from the eventuality that your body is going to break down with age.

wow
also did you notice that grass is green?

yes i did and i think the sky is blue

Do you know how unimportant and insignificant we all are? We all mean nothing and, relatively, will make no impact on this planet or especially this universe. Don't worry about it... Just get fucked up and enjoy

Yep. One day, this conversation will be pointless. Everyone you know will be dead, you will all be long forgotten, and all of your existence will amount to nothing.

I think about it and freak out.

Mighty and erect is this Will of mine, this Pyramid of fire whose summit is lost in Heaven. Upon it have I burned the corpse of my desires.

Mighty and erect is this Φαλλος of my Will. The seed thereof is That which I have borne within me from Eternity; and it is lost within the Body of Our Lady of the Stars.

I am not I; I am but an hollow tube to bring down Fire from Heaven.

Mighty and marvellous is this Weakness, this Heaven which draweth me into Her Womb, this Dome which hideth, which absorbeth, Me.

This is The Night wherein I am lost, the Love through which I am no longer I.

Same here. I'm petrified of dying. I know that we're just speckles of dust in the great universe, yabba yabba, but still. Life is the only thing we get one and only one chance at. That gives it true reason and value

> shit you should've known years ago

First off, yes. That statement is true and there is no afterlife.

Now, do you enjoy things in life? Probably. So start working towards experiencing as many and as high of a quality of those things as you can within your lifespan.

Also, radical life extension is possibly within our lifetimes. Go look into it already.
www.lifespan.io
www.fightaging.org

Which is a fucking shitty prospect, isn't it? It's surprising how little people are actively fighting to combat aging.

Pretty sure I could've told you that when I was 3 years old

I share this feeling. It sucks, it honestly does.
Do look into the research going into the aging process and radical life extension right now.
It's not immortality but it seeks to provide some more healthy years and I would appreciate that. You probably would as well I think.
Which is a fucking shitty prospect, isn't it? It's surprising how little people are actively fighting to combat aging.
fightaging.org
Good starting point, read a bit.

Because nobody wants to live forever. Have you seen how miserable all old people are? Life loses values with enough time

Life extension is by now only possible by extending health span. You would be healthy for longer and break down later. I'd quite welcome that.

What is this? Some kind of shill thread? You idiots need to reach 30 years of age and actually experience the world before you decide if you want to live forever.

Why? So you can work for 10 more years?

Are you like 6 years old?

Not a shill at all, I'm not OP.
I've had close family members die, lived under the poverty line, seperated from my parents completely...and life is fucking brilliant. If you're able to afford to eat and have a roof...life can be wonderful if you are willing to enjoy it.

To see more countries, meet more people, learn more things, watch more movies, play more games, eat more great food...Jesus, do you not see the joyful things in life?

>Thus?
>And what exactly did you imagine you'd be doing in a billion years time, Miss Downs Syndrome?

You're lucky you have those adversities to give you drive. See how great you feel once you accomplish everything and settle down.

You kids don't realize that the stimulation dies down once you've seen it all before. Sure that pizza tasted great the first 100 times, but after the next 1000 it started to get bland. So did that song. Same as that movie.

Fucking hell, "accomplish everything"?
I mean...I'm sure you're older and more accomplished than I am and I take this as friendly advice from you.
But...do not tell me you have tried to experiences all things which you imagine to be interesting or exciting, or even a fraction of them.

And these things don't particularly drive me. I just didn't want to come off as never having faced hardships before.
I am honestly driven most of all by how much enjoyment almost any day can bring. Yeah, it sounds incredibly gay but that's honestly how I see it.
Your boss is bitchy, your car broke down? You are still one of so very few organisms that will ever experience consciousness and hapiness, for the brief time of your existence...how could you let such trivial shit spoil this?

New experiences are not nearly enough motivation to keep going. You need something to drive you. Something to accomplish. It is human nature. Why are there so many rich people that are depressed?

Have you ever actually had a real human talk with someone over the age of 40? A true heart-to-heart? Try it sometime. You could learn something valuable.

You are happy because you overcame your struggles and are now in a place of peace. Everyday simple and mundane things seem like a miracle because yesterday they were a privilege. You'll get bored. No need to trust me, you'll see.

Well, socioeconomic status is inversely correlated with depression.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5069819/

I would agree that something to accomplish is vital but...those are not in short supply are they?
If your life is shit..fight you way up. If it isn't, there are so many incredibly interesting things to be done.
We are probably only decades away from becoming an interplanetary species, probably as well from drastically increasing human health span and thereby life span. Do you really want to tell me you'd gladly roll over and rot away if you wouldn't have to?

This assumes constant repetition. Why would that be the case? Just don't be lazy, pick up new hobbies, a new sport, go visit new countries, become a better cook or something...how are you constrained to repeat you daily life?

water is wet. You should be excited it is one of the few things everyone that ever existed or will exist gets to experience. smile.

The study you linked provides more information about the poor than the rich. And while it is true that money brings happiness it only goes so far and for so long. For those who maintain that level of wealth their entire lives are the ones that are depressed. Happiness is new money.

My life isn't shit. There is nothing wrong with it. You have a million things you are interested and want to do now, but you'll see as those things become more accessible they lose their appeal.

I'm sure we will soon be colonozing other planets. I personally would like to see a human stand on Mars before I go. Aging has been successfuly reversed in mice, so i'm sure it is less than 100 years from now when we'll have infinite natural lifespan. So long as I know those things are coming I can get all the satisfaction and hope I need. Waiting around to see it for myself would just be a waste of time.

Because life is repition. It's all a big cycle. Thats what you are too young and inexperienced to be able to comprehend.

>there is no afterlife
Proof?

enjoy the knowledge that nothing that happens, bad or good, has any consequences and the sooner you come to terms with the fact that the only thing that's terminal is eternal void, the sooner you can start enjoying life to its fullest

Very very wrong

Wrong way around. Burden of proof is on you.
We know consciousness is closely tied to brain activity. We can prove consciousness is detectable when the brain is alive and is not when it is dead. Furthermore, consciousness, personality and cognitive ability decline with progressing brain damage, further solidifying the link.
It is a reasonable, logical, close to certain assumption that there is no consciousness after braindeath.

>assumption

But...why wouldn't you want to actually benefit from this extended lifespan?
Yes, I understand things lose their interest after a while, I'm just quite convinced I couldn't even fit every interesting thing in 300 years, or even the 85 I perhaps have.
...wouldn't you agree that without shooting for immortality, another 100y could certainly be filled with travelling, new hobbies or careers, etc?

Would you say visiting a new country is repetition of having visited another one before? I wouldn't. And there are quite some countries out there.
The same thing with hobbies, ideas, people, cities, whatever.

How so?

As we assume that we orbit the sun. Fucking everything is an assumption. Make the case for an afterlife. If you can't the belief in one is utterly unjustified.

Again, you fail to grasp my logic. It is a hard lesson to communicate and near impossible to understand without experience, but I will do my best. You say you have tons of interesting things to do. So much it would take 300 years. After your first 50 years of doing the most interesting things imaginable, do you think you might change your perspective? Do you think your list of interesting things will look identical to when you started? Similiar?

Sure with an infinite lifespan I could learn new hobbies. If you have no hobby then learning one is cool. If you have 10 then learning another is still kind of cool. If you have 1000...? Don't take these numbers literally, search for the message behind them. Ever heard of the term diminishing returns?

There might be an afterlife, or not. One can never be sure of it

Give it some time then you'll realize that life is inevitable too and will happen to you, and it's a lot more of a problem than death.

Don't claim it to be fact if it's an assumption next time :^)

I will tell you similiar to what i told the other user. Your first time in a new country is great. You are experiencing the new country AND experiencing experiencing a new country. After 'X' countries you continue to experience the new county, but you no longer experience experiencing a new country.

We don't 'assume' we orbit the sun, you fucking mongoloid, it's something we have known, scientifically proven beyond a doubt, for centuries.
Also, there isn't a burden of proof for either side, as everyone has their own perspective. Personally I believe there is an afterlife, as I refuse to believe that all of existence is ultimately absurd, exists for no reason, came to be by accident, was spawned from nothingness, and that humanity and all of its quirks developed and evolved naturally with no external stimuli whatsoever. What is consciousness? A tricky question that philosophers have tackled for millenia, but the very fact of that convinces me of one thing it is certainly not - an accident. In my experience, the people who do believe these things are either teenage edgelords, and people who simply never grew up.

Yes, I do get what you mean. And as I myself am still quite young I wouldn't want to claim to have enough experience to speak on the matter.
However...it doesn't quite square with what I see in older people around me. People who derive immense pleasure from visiting new countries and trying to advance their photography skills there. Or some who want to quit their job and start being a car mechanic again because they loved it all those years ago. Etc., etc. All People aged around 50 or above.

I don't doubt you are correct in principle but...I feel like the average human lifespan doesn't seem to be quite long enough for it to become boring for most people. Especially if you would subtract the ill health of old age. And again...I'm not necessarily talking about a thousand year lifespan. Perhaps just double what we have now or something.
Anyway thanks for you trying to help me, I'm certainly grateful, even if I don't quite share your conclusions :)

Well I'm as certain of it as of many other things I'd colloquially refer to as "being the case". But of course you are right, I just wanted to keep it short. :D

I agree with you and I was also shitting on that user for being so sure that there wasn't. However I do not believe in an afterlife and I think the argument that "there must be more to life, there must be something deeper" is a really poor way to justify, even to yourself, that there is one.

No you are not. The fact that we orbit the sun is something that we concluded through logic and science. To even put that on the same level as a philosophical and meta comment such as the afterlife provides no merit.

How do you prove we orbit the sun?
With a series of experiments with (ideally) increasing concordance between the observed data and your assumption. Which would render it "probably true".
As with the heliocentric model.

And the burden of proof is one the one putting an assumption forward. As in "we orbit the sun." or "the sun orbits us" or "there is an afterlife."

As stated previously, consciousness is easy to observe, the constituents of cognitive function break down with increasing damage to the brain and are undetectable after its complete breakdown. These datapoints support the assumption that consciousness is a function exhibited by the brain as an organ. It stops working, there is no function. There is incredibly much data supporting this.

Therefore I am confident in the explanatory power and thereby probable validity of that assumption. Of which follows...there is no afterlife.

If you claim there is...burden of proof.

That's an overly simplistic summary though. It's not just a case of a vapid "there must be more to life!" philosophy, but when you consider all the points I just made, I find it very difficult to justify that there isn't anything else beyond what we already know. When you consider the historic attitude to science, believing there is nothing else, that we essentially know it all, is stunningly ignorant.

Again, I'm as sure of it as I am that my blood will not be filtered when my kidneys die.
Organ dies, function stops.

Some important takeaways for a young mind. Give these A LOT of thought in conjuction with what U have already said.

1) I am both happy and satisfied with my life.
2) Despite you claiming to understand my message, it is clear that you don't. Try to erase your current idea of it and think about it from an entirely new angle.
3) Try to have more true, meaningful, conversation with those over the age of 40. It can be hard at a young age to get someone older to truthfully open up. Try to forge a bond where this is possible.

Nobody is saying you should only ever consider our current knowledge to be the limit of what could be.
It is however the limit of what can reasonably be assumed by now.
And also, in some cases, it limits what should be believed because it would contradict what we know already.

Now, I'm genuinely interested, how would an eternal consciousness/afterlife work?
Injuring the brain changes the psyche and it does so consistently. How is this link of brain and consciousness coherent if consciousness is seperate and outlives the organ?

You have scientific proof and logical reasoning as to why your kidney's stopping will kill you.

The exact same thing is true for the brain.
It's also beside the point.

Before the concept of kidneys or organs would kidney failure kill you?

I find nothing more cringy and frustrating than an idiot who thinks they're smart. You're making assumptions on consciousness when nobody has made a philosophical or scientific definition of what exactly consciousness even is. Tied to the basic science we know, you refuse to acknowledge the existence of what we don't know. Anyway I'm not going to repeat myself anymore, maybe get better at reading than dismissing, actually read what I've written so far, and stop being pig-headed long enough to question yourself.

I will. Apologies, if I misunderstood you.
As it will certainly take some time until I get someone to truly open up, could you perhaps answer a last question?
Do you think these people are not honestly satisfied with the things I described? Or does this not at least hint at the fact that other people your age could have a different perspective on this?

Anyways, thanks again to you.

Nothing lasts forever. Everything dies.

Either show love to those who matter the most to you or find some enemies and crush them. Or both.

Those are the things that matter the most in this life.

The problem he faces is that he really still is the edgy teen atheist charicature we all know and love. We've been there. Atleast I have. I'm guessing he interpets the world entirely through science and believes it is the only logic. However he will eventually discover the beautiful, logical, world of philosophy and grow out of it. Don't frustrate yourself over something like this, he'll figure it out eventually.

jesus i figured that out when i was 9 how autistic are you

Its gonna happen to everyone user. It happened to everyone who has ever been here. Where were you before you were born? It wont even suck. Being human is painful. Death is good. Without death we'd all be sick and in pain and likely immobile and horribly depressed

If you spend your whole life worrying about dying, when you do die you're gonna wish you enjoyed this existence more. This existence is so small compared to what else is out there in whatever the fuck we live in. This life is just the waiting room for whatevers next user, and whatevers next has gotta be cooler than this

I honestly try to answer the points you brought up to the best of my ability. And I was honest in stating that I am truly interested in your view on how an afterlife would work. Sorry if I seemed dismissive or anything, I honestly didn't intend to.

Now again, I don't refuse the existence of what we don't yet know. There would certainly not be a good reason to believe it though, but that's beside the point.
I'm not saying the idea of an eternal consciousness is unproven and therefore impossible. As I understand Consciousness (and perhaps you could explain your take on this), its eternity and separation from the processes of the brain would contradict the current data we have.
Not be outside of what we know. But stand against what we already know.

You dont know that user. No one does.

To each his own but you really wanna stick around here? Your life, bud

Now from edgy atheist to patronizing?
Instead of letting me "figure it out eventually", why not just engage in the discussion?
And please, I would love to hear your take on it, honestly. I find this topic as interesting as basically nothing else. :)
So. To sum up my argument.
Eternal consciousness contradicts a large amount of gathered data, at least as far as I can see. Would you disagree?

Yeah I know you're right, just makes me cringe. I don't mind younger people who accept they're still learning, I have plenty of patience for them, but when it's people trying to sound ultrasmart with literally no substance behind what they're saying, being all smugglypuff about it, really grinds my gears.

>Without death we'd all be sick and in pain and likely immobile and horribly depressed
This is a hard thought to come to terms with as a younger person but I bet the older you get the more accepting of death you become. My gran had lung cancer for 7 years and in her last days she told my dad that she was ready to go. I couldn't comprehend how anyone could think like that, but thinking about it now, being old, sick and realizing that your best days are behind you, it's understandable.

Yeah, absolutely. Life can certainly be shitty but...most of that is just psychological. Try to deal with the shit days to enjoy the good ones.

Come on, no substance?
I've provided the entire, honest reason for my argument.
And again, I'm not trying to be edgy or anything. And yes, in my opinion science is the correct foundation for this discussion. If not...what is? And more importantly...how does that lead you to your conclusions?
I mean...I'm honestly interested in your take, just tell me.

Do you believe consciousness has a physical form? For example it could be something such as electrical impulses sent between nuerons in the brain.

Well...depends.
Death basically is the result of the body's intricate biological machinery.
If that just wouldn't happen or (more plausible) the damages were repaired periodically, death wouldn't occur through biological breakdown. So...no alzheimers, etc. Just trucks and viruses and such.

Well that certainly is the basis of it.
In about the same way that a computer calculates, altough the hardware is not exactly the calculation itself.
But yes, the biochemical processes in the brain certainly produce consciousness as their function.
If you alter them, you can alter who someone thinks he is, what he feels, how responsive he is, put him in a coma, wake him up, make him depressed or happy...etc.
There is basically no quality that is reasonably exempt from being altered by altering the brain so...why would it be reasonably to assume it is separate from it rather than its function?
Would you generally agree with this assessment? Your conclusion regarding the eternity of consciousness being different of course :D

op of the comment, how so?

Consequences on the grand scale are not comparable to consequence on a personal level

I know the feeling, but it's also kind of freeing when ya think about it. I mean, there's no point in worrying about your problems or mistakes when they're gonna be forgotten almost immediately after you die anyway.

>assume
Once again you have a jump in logic. It is very very easy to just call it an assumptiom and dismiss it, but that the fact that there is an assumption there instead of just clean solid logic across the board is the problem. As someone who views the world scientifically you would think that because lots of eveidence leads to something that it must be true, however as long as there is a gap in your logic it doesn't hold up as a logical argument, making it irrelevant. The whole point is that you can't just make that assumption and claim its true, or even the most reasonable option.

And I am not eternal consciousssness guy, I think that that idea, as well as the idea of an afterlife, is ridiculous.

even if you beat aging. people mostly die from other things