Is this the best scene ever conceived in the star trek universe?

is this the best scene ever conceived in the star trek universe?

youtube.com/watch?v=oeGMHbK4NlA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9TdvN07ZWI
youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw
youtube.com/watch?v=GIYJtaB6mFU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was quite out of character for Picard, whose normally one of the most coolheaded characters in the entire franchise...

It's weird to hear "bullshit" on startrek

no it is not

Jesus christ, no. Have you ever watched fucking star trek?

But that's why it's good. It shows him as a human with limits, and not just some conceptual character without any real qualities.

But Lily was wrong too, abandoning ship put the WHOLE fate of humanity down to whether data was corrupted or not (not forget stranding his whole crew in the past)

As someone who himself was borg and couldn't resist serving them into killing thousands, he knows that's not good odds to play..

Basically stupid 22nd earth nigger put him off base and also ruined it for everyone.

>But Lily was wrong too
So?

It's a false dichotomy to think that one person having issues automatically means the other person is right. Here, they were both acting irrationally in the face of a terrible threat.

>implying her only motivation was because it was Worf's idea to blow up the ship and whitey Picard shot him down

#blackplansmatter

If by "best" you mean "worst".

OP here, that's what I meant. A bit surprised people didn't catch that typo, considering how shitty this scene is.

>is this the best scene ever conceived in the star trek universe?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

>It shows him as a human with limits
You know what showed that even better? When he wrestled with the idea to send hugh back to the collective with the virus. Or when data had his little pen pal and the crew had to figure out their responsibility and extent of the prime directive. Or you know, literally half the episodes of TNG.

The TNG episode "Family" already did that, as did the episode "I, Borg." The idea that Picard never had to face his trauma, or that he never had to deal with the Borg since is pure bullshit.

>makes reference to classic literature
>later admits she never read it
typical women

Okay, but we're talking about the movie.

The speech makes no sense. The Borg have not been continuously attacking the Fderation with Starfleet forced to endlessly "fall back." Now you might say a movie for general audiences doesn't have to strictly conform to Trek TV canon, but the movie itself directly states the Borg haven't mounted an attack since Picard's capture.

The TNG movies are unequivocally garbage. The originals weren't high cinema, but they told a satisfying and complete story.

I mean holy shit, V is more coherent than any of the tng movies.

>The Borg have not been continuously attacking the Fderation with Starfleet forced to endlessly "fall back."
There is a grand total of ONE battle between the federation and the borg.

What was incoherent about this scene within the context of the film?

It would be great if we didn't have episodes in the series which directly addressed the issue on more than one occasion about how Picard overcame his traumatic experience of being assimilated by the Borg. Picard is not the sort of person who seeks revenge and he knows his duty to Starfleet is paramount and everything else is secondary, especially any personal vendetta.

This premise might work for Kirk or Sisko, but for Picard its just a misunderstanding of the character.

Why is movie Picard so shit bros

Nah, this is best First Contact scene:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z9TdvN07ZWI

was lily's whole purpose in being there was for that scene, because whoopie was unavailable?

They tried to make action movies within the TNG universe and didn't have the budget or competence of those behind the Abrahms Star Trek films. You might not like them, but as far as action films go, they're are much more competent than the TNG movies, at least so far.

muh stronk black woman smarter than picard

inb4 blah bah dukat blah nothing wrong blah and ds9 faggots in general

>turned Picard into Sisko
You DON'T cross the BALDS!

because introverted calm diplomat is not sexy enbough for the big screen

>as far as action films go, they're are much more competent than the TNG movies
They really aren't. There are proper stakes in the TNG movies. JJ's Trek never slows down enough for anything to matter or have any impact.

>cochrane admits to being a phoney and trek history is a lie.
>stronk black woman helper saves future.
what did they mean?

>JJ's Trek never slows down enough for anything to matter or have any impact.
The first one had actual conflict and some reason for people to care. The second and third, though, were just extended action sequences.

I fail to see how there weren't proper stakes in the first movie.

In Generations, the stakes are some planet which we nothing of whatsoever is going to be destroyed. Can't care.

In Insurrection, a species is trying to support one of its colonies, (or something), so the planet could be used to cure diseases across the galaxy. They wouldn't even be harmed, just transported. Picard's actions violated the Prime Directive by interfering with the species internal affair, (despite them requesting Federation support), and arguably totally inconsistent with his actions in Journey's End.

In Nemesis, it mostly had to do with a conflict the Romulans had within themselves, though this wasn't really properly conveyed, as we never get a sense as how Shinzon rose. Also, who gives a shit about the Romulans? Fuck them. Anyway, ten minutes Shinzon decides he's going to use his superweapon to destroy Earth, as if when he got there, there wouldn't be tens of thousands of ships there to stop him, meaning he never had a chance to do anything.

First Contact is the only movies with properly conveyed stakes. The Borg's plan made no fucking sense, though, so there's that.

Seems like JJ's films had a better track record. They also hold up much better, as naturally being released recent, but even better than the TNG films looked for their day. Comparing the TNG films with the best looking actions films of the day does not make them look good by comparison, while the JJ films looked decent, even if the stories don't hold up.

>The second and third, though, were just extended action sequences.
This true, but they at least look much, much better than the TNG films.

Because the movies are actually in the mirror universe, nobody acts in character.

Sure, but that's just increased sfx technology.

Stakes don't matter when you're constantly undermining them. There's no consequence to anything, and the movies jump from introducing problems to solving them within mere moments. TNG's movies introduce problems that aren't immediately trivialized by some asspull.

>It was quite out of character for Picard
PTSD always makes you act out of character. The Borg are the one thing that shatters his diplomacy-first mindset and demeanor.

Then I would at least say they look better compared to its contemporaries than the TNG did for its contemporaries. Generations looked like total ass, First Conact is nothing compared to Titanic, Starship Troopers, and The Lost World. The less said about Insurrection, the better. Nemesis looks the best of the films, but is weak, but this was the same years as the Lord of the Rings, and that Argo sequence makes me wince from how bad the lighting is.

>First Conact is nothing

Watched it recently, was surprised by how good the borg cube looked, wouldn't look out of place in a modern film.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? How was the threat in Star Trek trivialized? I already explained how the stakes were quite weak in the TNG films, meaning it's less about the story, which is bad in the TNG and the Abrahms movies, but at least there's an impressive slickness to the Abrahms films which is totally lacking in the TNG movies and the former will certainly age better.

>though this wasn't really properly conveyed, as we never get a sense as how Shinzon rose

Wasn't it just "Hey Shinzon us Remans really like you for standing up to our slavemasters, wanna overthrow the Romulan senate by vaporizing them with radiation in this bitchin' new ship we made?"

or was he Praetor before the vaporizing?

That's true, but that's a fairly small part of the film. The corridor shots were embarrassingly bad and many parts look like a high-budget B-movie.

Once again, I see little reason to care about the Romulans when they such assholes in the series.

That explanation seems like an asspull if I've ever heard one and just seems like a contrivance for the story.

I would also like to point out that it was questionable that a single, fairly small colony living as immortals was worth curing diseases across Federation.

It's not even the best scene in First Contact.

The opening scene where the ship is patrolling the Romulan Neutral Zone and they're listening to the battle Comm channel is until Picard decides 'Fuck it we're going' is the best scene.

Maybe because I'm a sailor and am used to spending all day err day listening to comm chatter but it felt like a very real ship right there.

I feel a bit plebian to cite the new universe but Kirks Dads death is genuinely one of my favourite Star Trek scenes too.

Kirk is benched, but it doesn't matter because bones just immediately shoots him up with some space disease. Kirk is stranded on an ice planet and attacked by a giant monster who he immediately escapes and then prime Spock immediately un-strands him with his knowledge of the future. The movie constantly barrages the viewer with new problems and then treats them like jokes because being light is more important than actually convincing the audience to care about anything that happens.

Kirk dies and is immediately revived in the second, for Chrissake. The original movies at least had the sense to not bring Spock back in the same movie they kill him.

I'm not disagreeing with you as it's pretty convenient the Romulans would pick Picard of all people to infiltrate the Federation just so the movie had a plot.

Always had a guilty pleasure for the Romulans and Nemesis as a whole, but that has no barring on how silly the plot is

>First Conact is nothing compared to Titanic, Starship Troopers, and The Lost World.
You obviously haven't watched Titanic, Starship Troopers, or The Lost World lately.

Hell, the original Jurassic Park looks better than TLW.

Plus, the scene where the Borg queen is lowered into the body is fucking incredible for its time. It doesn't hold up now, but it's as good as anything else coming out when it did.

Are there any good moby dick movies?

>You obviously haven't watched Titanic, Starship Troopers, or The Lost World lately.
2/3. I watch Starship Troopers all the time.

*not worth curing

>The original movies
I wasn't comparing it to the original movies, but the TNG ones.

The original movies are hardly works of art, and I don't care for them of the TOS series, but I can see how they would please the fans of the original series, and I can see how the reboot films are at least competent as action movies. As a fan of TNG, the TNG movies don't work on any level.

I actually haven't seen Starship Troops, but people talk all the time on how well the effects have aged.

The Titanic still looks incredibly for today. I don't know what you're talking about. It sure as hell looks better than almost everything in First Contact. They budget for the Titanic was absurd for its time and still is very expensive for today's standards, and the final result makes this understandable.

*I don't care for them or the TNG series

Fuck,

*or TOS

>I actually haven't seen Starship Troops
You owe it to yourself to fix this imperfection in your life.

I probably would not like it. The idea of a film that was intended to be a satire of militarism and actually praised in some circles as this, yet simultaneously cheered by those who enjoy the idea of militarism, really bothers me.

Best scene is either:
>"The BEAST at Tebagra"

OR
>"THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!"

OR
>"You just don't know... They took everything I was. Used me to kill and to destroy... I couldn't stop them...*sob*"

In the show, yeah, but Data said "Oh Shit!" in Generations too

No it's terrible, this isn't Picard.

It's irrational angry captain man.

TNG, lol

That's a flag that marks it as a movie that is probably great, you idiot.

>movie appeals to people on both sides of the fence, so I probably wouldn't like it
u wot?

I don't care for preach films, or films so incompetent at preaching that people interpret it as preaching the opposite of what was intended.

Eh, I'll probably watch it anyway.

not even close:

youtube.com/watch?v=K-YyL7X4CWw

>that's the joke

It's not a preach film, that's why it can be interpreted both ways, depending on from what perspective you interpret the events.

sassy black lady

what your afraid of is starship troopers 3.

>It's not a preach film
I'm pretty sure that was the intention.

Says who? From what I gather it was supposed to be a fun movie, completely unlike the awful book, that is one of the worst preach books I have ever dropped.

>It is really quite a bad book. I asked Ed Neumeier to tell me the story because I just couldn't read the thing. It's a very right-wing book.

>In the DVD commentary, Verhoeven states his intentions clearly: the film's message is that "War makes fascists of us all"

>War makes fascists of us all
And the movie makes fascists out of some of the viewers. It's like poetry.

>I will make them pay for what they've Number Oned

Know what First Contact, Titanic and Starship Troopers have in common? Practical effects. CGI was only used to do things that were impossible, and even then it was mapped on top of practical effects.

Cheap CGI is the worst thing to happen to cinema ever.

>The Borg are the one thing that shatters his diplomacy-first mindset and demeanor.
Except for the majority of times it totally didn't.

Would have been better if it was dr crusher lecturing picard

notice the lack of complaining about SJWs on this thread, this is how you show a strong independent black woman, I think diversity standards have actually slipped since the 90s, there are more minority characters but they are mostly corny cliches now

though it could just be because Sup Forums is busy with the election

>The Titanic still looks incredibly for today. I don't know what you're talking about.
There are a few shots of the cgi ship and a few composit shots that stand out. The most egregious being the ice berg hit when jack and kate are on the deck in front of a very obvious blue screen with some noticable matte lines.

It doesn't damn the movie, but it does date it a bit.

I like 's idea of it being Guinan better. She was always Picard's conscience in the series and the end of that scene is almost exactly the same as their scene in Measure of a Man

Yes, it would have actually given her more than one line in the entire movie and series.

Seriously, does she say or do anything at all in the series except us the gay doctor as a diversion? I think she also fired a phaser in Insurrection, but that's it.

*use the gay doctor

But 3 is pure kino. Complete with a JUSTED t'pol, musical numbers, and casper van dien pulled out of whatever hole he had been hiding in.

In Nemesis they should have revealed that the Picard of the previous movies was the Romulan clone and that's why he acted so different than his normal self

youtube.com/watch?v=GIYJtaB6mFU

>Eh, I'll probably watch it anyway.
Don't. Its obvious you're not worthy of based verhoven.

Her and troy talk about their tits in insurrection.

So true.

>tfw can't recognize the masterpiece that is Showgirls

kek, does that pass the Bechdel test?

This.
Movie apologist make me sick. Perhaps you people saw them when you were youngero r whatever, but after being fed only a healthy ration of TNG, watching those movies made me sick. Couldn't even finish Nemesis.
Fuck them

>this is out of character

>though it could just be because Sup Forums is busy with the election
Star Trek is Sup Forums-core, pleb.

that was the entire point

Starfleet was a collection of smug elite marxists who flew around the galaxy deciding who lived or died with their "non interference" policy, who beleive that there isn't anything that can't be solved with negoiation and peace treaties.

then they meet the borg and get fucked up and Picard snaps after meeting the face of evil that can't be reasoned with

Biggest problem with Original and TNG movies was STARFLEET

>We are the only ship in range schtick
Used in
ST1
ST 2
ST3 (USS Grissom)
ST 4 (USS Saratoga)
ST 5
ST 6
ST 7
ST 9

At least the JJ Universe showed a fleet of ships warping out together to face a common problem
First Contact gets a pass for the battle against the Borg cube

To be fair to Star Trek VI (The GOAT), they were the only ship in range because they were in the Klingon DMZ, where Starfleet isn't allowed.

Not really, Star Trek is undeniably liberal and progressive.

Although... there were some really weird and regressive scenes that stood out to me over the years, e.g. that scene where
>Trip votes for George W. Bush
>Soval uses the phrase “the eternal Ando”
>Shran says “pinkskins” but starts stuttering after noticing Mayweather
>T’pol explains to Archer the difference in IQ distributions between species
>Chekov tells Sulu that Russia should have conquered Japan like it conquered the Ukraine
>Kirk jokes with Scotty about Spock’s mother being a race-mixer
>Bones called Spock “Jew, Green blooded bastard”
>Spiderbarclay steals a guy’s pizza
>Troi walks in on Barclay browsing /r9k/
>Gowron calls Worf “a subklingon fucking targ”
>Worf enters Picard’s ready room without knocking and gets phasered
>Picards helps forcibly displace the Indians because of a treaty with the Cardassians
>Data tells Geordi that he’s just as beta as Barclay, but people take pity on him because he’s blind
>Dax tries to redpill Bashir by showing him the chart with all the Bajorans in top media positions
>O’Brien complains that “petaQ” is just a word and it’s silly “only Klingons can say it”
>Kira coaches Ziyal on how to milk the Occupation for maximum sympathy
>Weyoun jokes with the Breen that Damar drinks like he’s Tusken
>Bashir tells Ezri that he’s glad she’s “not a slut anymore”
>Sisko misgenders Jadzia
>Janeway says “we have to out-Ferengi the Ferengi”
>Tuvok walks on the bridge and Neelix makes money noises
>Chakotay was actually Armenian but pretended to be Indian for attention
>Kes confesses to Paris that Neelix is molesting her, and he starts grooming her too
>7 of 9 insists to Naomi Wildman that Barack Obama is actually not a valid American citizen
and also
>that scene where a couple of these are real

>a utopian society that is basically communism
>Sup Forums-core
not really

>falling for the Sup Forums is nothing but nazis meme
Sup Forums loves Star Trek

Double dumbass on you!