Serious discussion please

Which film is the best? Which has good cinematography? Which script is better than the other? Remember in 9th Grade English class, your teacher taught you that saying you've liked ___ isn't really saying anything at all? When it comes to cinema, we never go past this apparently. Of course this type of discussion has its purpose, but it shouldn't dominate so much. Film discourse on Sup Forums appears to be no more than yelp reviews, fully embracing the idea that film is just a commercial product and not a work of art. E.g. "Oh I give it 4 stars out of 5", "One and half thumbs up from me", "It deserves all the film awards."

Maybe it's because I just never understood how one film can be "better" than another, but I also think a lot of people don't know how to discuss films. That's why when you see Sup Forums threads or people talking about films, they can only say, "I liked this scene" or "I liked this character" or if they're feeling smart, "I liked the dialogue."

There is zero critical engagement or thought or analysis with what they've seen. There is zero discussion of the film form. You thought the film was good? Tell us more on how you thought the filmmakers used the specific camera framing and movement to create a dramatic effect. If you liked a scene, don't just describe the narrative. Tell us more about how that scene was edited and presented. Tell us why you think the filmmakers made the choices that they made, what are the implications of those decisions, even if it sounds reaching and unsupported. Films invite so much subjective interpretations, yet all we hear is what they like the best. Tell us why you like it. Questioning why you liked something is a great way to examine the relationship between you and the film's respective ideologies.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Interstellar

When you watch enough movies you eventually grow out of treating film as some sort of sacred art form to be studied and analyzed

Movies were breads and circuses since their inception. I'd rather watch another movie than waste time pondering the last one

I can see that some little boy with no experience of life is posting again. If you had gone through breakdown even once in your life, you would have at least some empathy. You're the kind of fucking momma's boy who's worst experience in life was his girlfriend leaving.

are you okay?

No one cares.

i wouldnt enjoy meeting this person

Jesus fuck, what a faggot.
Go back

BvS is pure kino
Just came back from marathoning Hacksaw Ridge, based Mel made based kino

pic related

fucking I don't know. Citizen Kane.
No, how about, the Sunset Blvd.
I can't pick a best. Who can pick a best movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk

And life is all about the (you)s right?

You didn't understand the spirit of the autist. He isn't actually asking these questions.

>repulsion
almost got me OP

So do you want to discuss for example Mommy? Why Dolan used vertical framing instead of horizontal?

What's the role of his music?

Why would the color change?

Or the first episode of the third season of Black Mirror? Why does the tone change towards the end?

Or what makes the Thin Red Line such a compelling war movie, far better than Private Ryan or anything that directly "glorifies" soldiers instead of showing, just for the sake of it, their experience?

Start the convos man, sometimes people are ashamed to because they may think their opinion is shit. Go toward them. Stop crying ffs

talking and writing about films is the ultimate pleb give-away. just use your eyes, this is enough.

it's almost as bad as people who write notes in the margins of books, those people should die

>just use your eyes, this is enough
Very true. Patricians are eye-people, plebs have to talk because they don't 'get' it

fiction books, yes, non-fiction, no.

All patricians here