/cyc/ - Giro - Stage 18 - Moena -> Ortisei

It’s Ascension Day and not just the ecumenical celebration, here’s a short stage packed with climbing, descending and next to no valley roads. A fearsome stage? Possibly but for all the 4,000m of climbing packed into such a short space these climbs are all on well-engineered roads, a test of power rather than wild ambush country. It’s on TV from start to finish.

Stage 17 Wrap: a big day for a big breakaway but initially only three riders went clear including Pierre Rolland and they seemed to be dangling in front for a while with 200km to do. It wasn’t until later than a maxi-breakaway bridged across including Jan Polanc who was almost virtual race leader as the group built up a substantial lead. It split too and at one point Rolland was caught behind with others but got back to the front again. In the finale there was a flurry of attacks from the group, Rolland surged clear with just under eight kilometres to go, his legs bench-pressing the pedals to force himself away. It was a triumph of perseverance, Rolland had tried so many times in the race but came up with nothing and he was helped by team mate Michael Woods marking the moves behind. For all the talk of Rolland 2.0 leaving behind the 1970s on his signing with Cannondale this was vintage win, barging clear in the finish after a long break. Also Tom Dumoulin rode well with no sign of illness.

Other urls found in this thread:

sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2988709
giroditalia.it/eng/live/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Route: 137km around the Dolomotes. After the start they ride for 14km up the valley to the intermediate sprint and that’s it for flat roads for the day. They turn for the Passo Pordoi, 11.9km at 6.7% and a steady climb with plenty of hairpin bends amid the ski lifts and with views of the towering Dolomite peaks. A matching descent awaits and then several kilometres of what looks like a valley road to the next pass but actually an awkward section with some slogging gradients.

The Passo Valparola is next, or rather the Falzarego is, a pass climbed on the way to the Valparola and a gem amid the Dolomites as it winds uphill with scenic hairpins and even the engineered parts of the climb have a certain elegance with archways supporting the road and a gentle hairpin bend through a tunnel. The top section to the Valparolo is a long straight ramp with steep gradients.

The Passo Gardena is next and a gentle climb, wide enough for two buses to pass in opposite directions for most of the way and with yet more hairpins. The descent is fast and has fewer hairpins, instead the bends are wider and there’s almost 50km downhill here with a short break as they reach Ortisei – but don’t cross the finish line – and head out for a 33km look.

The Passo Pinei is a steady climb. 15%? Yes says the profile but only if you take the inside line on a hairpin bend but otherwise a regular climb and just 4.25km, a interval during the long descent from the Gardena. It’s followed by a very fast descent down to the Isarco valley and then they climb straight back up. Here it’s 9.3km at 6.8% but gets steeper towards the top, all on a big road but more irregular in gradient along the way. From the top of the climb in Pontives it’s just four kilometres to the finish and gently uphill…

The Finish: uphill into town with a slight gradient. The profile says 13% in the final kilometre but it’s not as steep before a right turn and then a downhill run to the line on a street lined with urban cobbles and with a flatter paved section in the middle of the road.

The Contenders: break or big? An early move can stay away because the likes of Vincenzo Nibali and Nairo Quintana are unlikely to plan long range attacks, they’ll surely prefer to try the final descent and final ascent respectively? If so Mikel Landa is an obvious pick for the breakaway, he can collect more points for his maglia blu.

Tom Dumoulin has plenty to fear on a stage like today, the climbing and the altitude plus his team could be on the rack again but if he can match the others then he’s in with a good chance at the finish, he can match the moves on the final climb and then power away on the false flat to the finish or boss the sprint.

Nairo Quintana can try the final climb as a launchpad, especially if Movistar rip things up during the stage but jumping clear and then using the false flat to the finish to stay away isn’t his kind of terrain. Vincenzo Nibali may try a move on the descent but on the Umbrailpass two days ago he looked frisky and fresh, he might prefer to wait for the final climb. Thibaut Pinot has been fading but in case fortunes change he’s an outside pick for the sprint, he’s been climbing as fast as Bob Jungels who showed consistency and power on the Stelvio and Umbrail and could take the sprint from a group of the big riders.

Weather: sunshine and a few clouds with a top temperature of 21°C.

TV: the stage starts at 1.00pm CET and finish is forecast for 5.15pm CET. There’s live coverage on home broadcaster RAI in Italy and Eurosport for much of Europe and beyond. Otherwise cyclingfans.com and steephill.tv are the go-to sites for schedules and pirata feeds.

Alright that's it

Lovely intro, mate. I hope nobody takes a shit on it.

Come on Big Tom!

>What do you expect from today's stage?
>Suffering.

Hang in there Tom!

This really should be utter carnage and mayhem from the word go.

Movistar are going to be firing guys up the road. Bahrain maybe too.
Someone dangerous-ish WILL slip into an early break.

Good luck to the Sunweb doms.

4 riders away.
Big chase group - Landa in it. Couldn't immediately see any GC guys.

One of the biggest weeks in Dutch cycling for as long as I've been watching and this stage really is a tough one. Let's go big Tom

Rosa's in the break, but this early on, I call suicide.

Bahrain have 3 strong men ahead of the peloton.

Whats his name /cyc/?

Is that Rolland again?

Meanwhile, in Belgium, they kicked a scrub out of the Tour of Belgium for riding on the bike path

sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2988709

>tfw video of even later in the finale with 4.7km to go, there are about 15-20 guys riding on the bike path

>"we moeten nu strenger optreden"
>only ban 1 guy

????????

Honestly, I'm not even surprised anymore. He should just do the smart thing and sue with the video as evidence.

should be in jail

Sunweb have disappeared

>Tom only has one man with him
>It's Ten Dam of course
>He's leading the peloton now for some reason

I guess he might stay there to slow everyone down, but he'll be spent faster and Tom will need him later.

Sunweb doesn't have too much depth to it. But I still have faith in Ten Dam and Big Tom

Sadly because of work i haven't been able to watch any of the Giro this year. Really looking forward to the TT finale though.

Can anyone give me a /quickrundown/ of how the threads and tour in general has been?

Leader had to take a shit, nobody waited for him but he still kept Maglia Rosa.

:(

Pretty comfy until Tom had his poo-day

Yes I was already thinking I needed to see that fucking tel aviv commercial again. Good call eurosport

so was i

>Nibbles is a GOAT descender

Not fair. Big Tom got extra speed from his wet farts.

where best english stream link at

TOM D OVER 9H BEHIND!

>maglia Rosa at 9 hours

Rip toms giro

Is giroditalia.it/eng/live/ just completely useless? Showing 116 km to the finish. Italian engineering.

That Nibali bunny hop though.

Cannondale trying something today again it looks like

Think it only worked at the start of the tour, but got fucked a few days in.

Just came back from my ride, anything happen yet?

Italians seem to be computer illiterate desu

Tom lost 9h.

Peloton already really small and we're just getting to the 2nd climb. There's a breakaway but they don't have too much time yet.

How was your ride?

Comfy 116 km in sunny, although slightly chilly weather.

Sauna now.

Moleman with that 65 rpm cadence wyd

Sunweb are back together now

One day two friends, Jukka and Pekka, meet after a long time apart and they go to a sauna in the woods. They drink vodka in silence for a couple of hours. Then Jukka asks: “So Pekka, how have you been doing?” Pekka says nothing, and they continue drinking for another couple of hours. Eventually Jukka asks: “How's the family?”. At that point, Pekka stands up and shouts: “Did we come here to talk, or did we come here to drink?”

I wish my hair had more power.

I only know 1 fin. His name is Paavo from my old ice hockey team and he would never say a word.

How has your ascension day been so far, /cyc/?

I just got back from a ride through the 10/10 nature of Gelderland in 10/10 weather. Legs were also pretty good despite my hangover. Tons of people outside to enjoy the weather as well, everyone seemed happy as fuck.

Now im going to enjoy a big ass bag of potato chips and a cold beer with what should be the best stage of the Giro. Life doesnt get any better desu.

Does that say what I think it does?

DELET THIS

You niggers don't work?

Ascension day you fucking heretic

COMFY tunnels
Not bad power and speed desu
My ride today was to the "employment agency" does that count?

>work on ascension day

What did he mean by this?

It's ascension day m8. Isn't Poland supposed to be Christian country.

It's the same in Finland these days.

>In some countries (at least in Austria, Belgium, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany (since the 1930s), Haiti, Iceland, Indonesia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Namibia, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and Vanuatu) it is a public holiday; Germany also holds its Fathers' Day on the same date.

apparently not

Oh great, besides the lack of oxygen due to the altitude and the steep incline, you have those flare fags up there as well. This shit should be fucking fined.

>tfw 300km p/w commute so rarely feel like cycling in the weekend

>having a shitty TES
baka desu senpai

>procyclinglive ded

rip in rip, what do?

>Implying I work

sportsmediaworld is working atm
30 km each way? Not bad.

WHat the fuuuuuck, where was Pope Jean Paul 2st?
;___;

Good stuff

I feel like it's only a matter of time until one of the riders get off their bikes and punch those asshats.

How do I raise my avg speed to over 30kph in a 1-2 hour ride?

Alright, so first two climbs are cleared, keep it up, Tom.

You get on the gear lad

Ride with a tailwind

I bet Wiener Anaconda has a big penis

>ride only on the flats
>ride on a calm day
>put caffeine in something
>aero everywhere, wheels, jersey, helmet

Oh I suppose training probably helps too

Flat ride? Just ride, get more aero and avoid traffic lights.

>having to live on NEETbux

You git gud

THE REVOLUTION CONTINUES

>holiday
>got bunch of shit for my kitchen from ikea
>ordered hot wangs
>beer in fridge
>cooking revolution adds on TV
a GOOD day

GLORY TO NEW ARSTOTZKA
>live on neetbux
or
>be a wageslave
Truly a modern conundrum

I LAAV DIS COOKING REVOLUTION

>that scenery

Did a pretty nice ride today in very nice weather
Now back to studying and shitposting

Based BIG TOM

I stayed inside, not going to get punctures from all the glass that currently coats the Amsterdam streets.

>Ride with a tailwind
>mfw the ride back

quite the view m8

Always always ride into the wind on your way out if at all possible.

After all my expenses I'm left with over 2x the amount of money I could get as NEETbux every month. I'll take working in a job I like and having disposable income over tons of time and no money.

>live on a coast
>it's always headwind/sidewind on the way back
jdimsa

Just use your self driving car to pace you home

>Fuck cagers

Now that'd be a proper memorial for Scarponi.

>have money
>be poor

Tough choice

Just got home from work. Started at 9:30, home at 2. Get a comfy job.

Based capitalism

I wouldn't call 4.5 hours actually working.

>Incoming 11%

>autosage
BRAVO MOD

*tips*

>Cucking revolution

Wait, why the fuck are we being autosaged

what de FUGG
right as my stream stopped, too
getting sick of this shit

it IS software!

Maybe some Colombian is working >for free and is mad that Big Tom D isn't dropping.

>janitors/mods
>being retards
Pick both. Have been for years and will always be. At first I wondered why there was no thread.

>autosage

For what fucking purpose? Does he want two threads for the same stage? Don't think it'll fall off the board, but it'll be close.