DJ Looking for Content

Hey Sup Forums, I have a specific request:
I recently got a spot as a DJ for my college radio station and I’ve been trying to come up with playlists for each show. However, I don’t have a lot of music that’s appropriate for playing over the radio. I’ve made about 5 shows worth of playlists and now I’m almost out of content.
• The song cannot exceed 6 minutes in length. If you want to play a song over 6 minutes, it must be cropped to fit the time restriction
• The song can’t have any curse words. If you want to play a song with explicit language, you’d have to censor it manually first.
• The same band can’t be played more than once in one hour.
• The playlist for each show should be about 50 minutes of music total, max 55 minutes minimum 50
The show’s genre is post-rock/light rock (basically anything in my mind that would be good music to listen to while high. Here are some previously used setlists for reference:

PLAYLIST 1
Clocks – Coldplay
One Summer’s Day – Joe Hisaishi (Spirited Away Soundtrack)
Pink Moon – Nick Drake
Hoppipola – Sigur Ros
Tracy – Mogwai
Mosquito Song – Queens of the Stone Age
Disciples – Tame Impala
Anthem for No State Pts. 1 & 2 – Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd
Other Side of the World – Swans
400 Winters – Bark Psychosis
Hands on the Water – Skyhill
PLAYLIST 2
Life in Technicolor – Coldplay
Zebra – Beach House
Sunday Morning – The Velvet Underground & Nico
Cadence and Cascade – King Crimson
Shapeshifting – Bark Psychosis
The Battle of Evermore – Led Zeppelin
Landfill – Daughter
Salka – Sigur Ros
Greens & Blues – Pixies
13 Angels Standing Guard ‘Round the Side of Your Bed – A Silver Mt. Zion
Burn the Witch – Radiohead

If you have any songs, albums, or artists that might be worth looking into/making a playlist of, please let me know. I’d appreciate any and all help.

Other urls found in this thread:

tunein.com/radio/Loyola-Radio-s122306/
youtube.com/watch?v=S4126fvOjsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=saz95lOkfv0
youtube.com/watch?v=XecDz-o-KnY
youtube.com/watch?v=sja5yn-6lrM
youtube.com/watch?v=_siJRgDlddY
youtube.com/watch?v=sPFWKYSq6Wo
youtube.com/watch?v=dmxLND2czNk
youtube.com/watch?v=_11e3ZUb08A
youtube.com/watch?v=yMVZVwWLmNk
youtu.be/iI2fRPmEZ6A
youtu.be/LSJsCQ6sOuE
youtu.be/faBhF-QQvkE
youtu.be/5ItKS8bUUTA
youtu.be/S5OYtAauQRk
youtu.be/PVRyYGs39AU
youtu.be/_DpJpXZThGM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some more playlists I've used for reference:
DEMO PLAYLIST (The one first used to audition for the spot):
Sirena – Dirty Three (4:06)
Myth – Beach House (4:19)
Bluish – Animal Collective (5:14)
Two Hearts in ¾ Time – The Avalanches (3:22)
I Don’t Want Love – The Antlers (3:19)
For No One – The Beatles (2:00)
Instant Crush – Daft Punk (5:38)
Drive – Incubus (3:53)
I Talk to the Wind – King Crimson (6:07)
Pride – Plus (2:56)

PLAYLIST 3 (This is being played this Friday)
Yes! I am a Long Way from Home – Mogwai
Everybody Hurts – REM
400 Winters – Bark Psychosis (IK I used it twice, its just a very convenient and vanilla song for the genre)
First Breath After Coma – Explosions in the Sky
Wave of Mutilation – Pixies
Never Meant – AmericanFootball
Beyond Love – Beach House
Casimir Pulaski Day – Sufjan Stevens
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space – Spiritualized
Brain Damage – Pink Floyd

PLAYLIST 4 (This is the last one I made & I have to scrap it anyway due to Mushroom being a little too weird for radio & Slow Show being explicit)
Something – The Beatles
Mushroom – Can
All of Your Yeahs – Beach House
Planet Caravan – Black Sabbath
The Loom – Bark Psychosis
Beyond – Daft Punk
Peace – a Theme – King Crimson
On the Beach at Night – Curtis Schweitzer (Starbound OST)
Golden Porsche – Mogwai
Distant Shore – Dirty Three
Slow Show – The National
The Scientist – Coldplay

Health - Get Color (Last song is 6:14)

Mr Bungle - California (2nd song is 6:04 min)

Silver Apples - self titled

Disco Inferno - D. I. Go Pop

Thanks a bunch! I'll be sure to listen to all of these. I've got to ask, why DI Go Pop though? I've only listened to it a couple times, but it never really struck me as radio appropriate since there's large sections of noise.

Great songs user.

Play some slowdive, mbv, interpol, the strokes, in rainbows, talking heads, more from parachutes
Hope this wasn't too general, good luck!

Thank you, it's been really hard to find stuff to play that fits the parameters and still sticks to the original sound I had in mind for the show. I've never been big into shoegaze but every time I've listened to Loveless I'm less bored each time, so I'll definitely give mbv and slowdive a try. Parachutes and In Rainbows are also safe bets so I'll be sure to include those as well.
I love The Strokes, it's just that it's tricky to find their lowest-energy songs. Like even when I played Tame Impala it was Disciples which is arguably the lowest energy song on Currents.
Talking Heads is usually VERY energetic. Did you have specific songs in mind?
Lastly for Interpol, I've had like 10 different people recommend them to me now, I guess now's a good excuse to make the jump.

Thanks for the help, if you ever want to tune in its at 5:00pm EST on Fridays at tunein.com/radio/Loyola-Radio-s122306/

For Interpol, Rest My Chemistry would be a good fit in my opinion

Try the last 4 tracks of Remain In Light, they're kinda slow and not very energetic, at least so it seemed to me.
You said you wanted post rock so I'd also reccomend Talk Talk - Laughing Stock. It's a little slow and kinda jazzy, and also the songs are usually long but there are a lot of good tunes in there, but again, pretty slow for a radio show but maybe it will fit, still not sure what you have in mind when you say they're not supposed to be energetic.
Spiritualised has also some good tunes in LAGWAFIS. Still don't know if they're too energetic but I'd recc tracks 1, 3 and 5.
Also Beach House and Avalanches are great for radio, make sure to keep that going.
Some Neu! maybe?.. though you'd have to cut them up because they usually have lengthy songs.
Others that come to mind are Arcade Fire, Joy Division and Gorillaz.
Hope this was helpful, bump so you get some more help.

"still not sure what you have in mind when you say they're not supposed to be energetic"
Tbh I'm not sure either haha. The best I could describe it is music that doesn't have aggressive vocals or instrumentation. If I had to pick a single song to sum up the vibe of the show it would be The Black Meat by Bark Psychosis. youtube.com/watch?v=S4126fvOjsQ Hopefully that provides some context. Also my only real requirement for something being 'radio appropriate' (besides the bullet points) is that it isn't too screechy or noisy. We don't get many listeners, but the signal is broadcast to both of our campus's cafeterias so I don't want to make any kids go deaf lol.

LAGWAFIS just might work, I think I might use Stay With Me in a playlist soon.

Listening to RIL's B-side now to check for songs.

I haven't really listened to much Gorillaz
I'll probably use the third track from Funeral in a playlist (whatever that frenchy song is called I don't remember the title).
Haven't heard Neu! I'll look into them too.

Here's one possible playlist, still working out kinks with explicit content and song length though:
A Dream To Help Me Sleep - David Grubbs
Dazed and Awake - Aerial M
Some Summers They Drop Like Flys - Dirty Three
Rise to Glory - Earth
Phantom - Something Like Elvis
Untitled (From The Black EP) - Interpol
When You Sleep - My Bloody Valentine
Alison - Slowdive
Shiver - Coldplay
The Black Meat - Bark Psychosis

Another thought--I'm also having trouble finding places to get this music. They can't be Youtube rips because they're *gasp* illegal (mainly can't because the people who for that shit are tipped off by the audio quality), but I'm also flat broke this week, definitely too broke to go out and buy the physical format for 8 new albums.

Buy individual songs on iTunes, Amazon, etc.?

here's some recent stuff from my main playlist, let me know if you want me to post more

Can you pirate them and not be expected from you to say the source, or at least lie?

I can (all I need to have to make it passable is the song, artist, album, record label, and not potato quality), but torrents are hard to come by. Already just looking around for the stuff on Playlist 5 that I posted isn't turning up anything (Especially for David Grubbs, fuck you David Grubbs).

Flat flat flat flat flat flat broke. I think when I looked this morning my checking was at $5.46 and I don't get paid until Friday (when the show is).

Here Comes the Night Time would be good. Also The Goddamn Beatles, fuck me. Practically all their shit is playable I can't believe I haven't been using them more.

Sloop John B might be a little bit too energetic, but I'll definitely put it in a pool.

I don't know the rest of what you posted, I'll have to listen first, but thanks a bunch for sharing! Any leads are good leads.

Try some stuff off of The Black Keys' Brother album also
>Jimi Hendrix
>The War on Drugs
>Fleetwood Mac
>The Police
>Tears for Fears
>Pixies
>Weezer
>Jeff Buckley
>Interpol
>Slint
>Talk Talk
>Tortoise

awesome, glad to help
here's some more stuff that might fit
sorry about the frame, apple music won't let me zoom out

Talk Talk and Tortoise definitely. I love them both and now its just a matter of figuring out what in their material is playable.

Weezer, Slint, Interpol, Tears for Fears, The Police, The War on Drugs, Jeff Buckley,and Fleetwood Mac I'll all have to look into.

Hard maybe on Hendrix.

>Talk Talk
maybe Ascension Day and Inheritance
>Tortoise
I'd say you'll have best luck with tracks off of TNT
>Hendrix
I was thinking about songs like Little Wing and The Wind Cries Mary
his softer, chiller songs

That makes sense (in regards to Hendrix). And yeah TNT would be a great song to use, that and Glass Museum.

Incubus - Are You In?
youtube.com/watch?v=saz95lOkfv0

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
youtube.com/watch?v=XecDz-o-KnY

Rod Stewart - Maggie May
youtube.com/watch?v=sja5yn-6lrM

Alice In Chains - Nutshell
youtube.com/watch?v=_siJRgDlddY

Mad Season - River of Deceit
youtube.com/watch?v=sPFWKYSq6Wo

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Lenny
youtube.com/watch?v=dmxLND2czNk

Blind Melon - No Rain
youtube.com/watch?v=_11e3ZUb08A

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbetter

Whoops forgot link for Yellow Ledbetter youtube.com/watch?v=yMVZVwWLmNk

youtu.be/iI2fRPmEZ6A
youtu.be/LSJsCQ6sOuE
youtu.be/faBhF-QQvkE
youtu.be/5ItKS8bUUTA
youtu.be/S5OYtAauQRk
youtu.be/PVRyYGs39AU
youtu.be/_DpJpXZThGM

Hopefully some of these fit, OP. I'm trying my hand at DJing as well.