I want to be an EMT while I go to school to become a nurse

I want to be an EMT while I go to school to become a nurse.
What am I in for?

Transporting old people to and from their doctor appointments. Paramedics get the big calls.

1. Coworkers who all experienced childhood trauma have either very distance or WAY TOO CLOSE relationships with their parents.

2. Dispatchers who are fat as fuck.

3. Other EMTs who openly want to fuck the fat dispatchers and who talk as if they actually think the fat dispatchers are hot.

4. Being the fucked up home of basketball amaericans.

5. Losing compassion for people who have made decades of bad choices leading to their poor health.

6. Getting calls from the same residents again and again and again.

7. Being thanked in public by little old ladies.

8. Discovering new ways to cope with stress. Heavy drinking is a popular option.

9. Constant virtue signaling by coworkers.

10. Never getting truly restful sleep ever again.

12. A bad back.

13. If rural, bad eating habits to relieve boredom.

14. If urban, PTSD.

15. The realization that an RN isn't enough and that you wasted your time and money and should have gone Nurse Practitioner or PA.

Thinking your job is to save lives, when really just an expensive taxi. Never correct anyone who thinks so.

Get paid $12/hour.

ha, try 10$.
OP make sure to spend more time in school than work.

yeah I know it's low pay. I just think it would be a challenging experience. a decent precursor to help manage time and stress before being a nurse. at least nurses make very decent salaries where I live and jobs are always available.

Are you already in nursing school or are you getting it before nursing school? I was an EMT all through nursing school and still run a bit now.

What type of area are you in? That will help determine the type of experience.

Houston
before. I still have to go to college.

Nursing and EMT are completely different jobs in the same general field. This is like saying you want to be a dishwasher while in chef school because you want to get restaurant experience.

I'm a cop in the ghetto and I have to back up our paramedics on every call. What this user speaks is the truth

>Houston

Here are the lives you'll be dedicated to saving.

If you do it before you'll like nursing school less but will be a better student, basically you'll know how things are done and how much bullshit they teach you in nursing school. If you are working in Houston the first year or two will be on a BLS trucks running scheduled transports, after awhile you'll probably get the chance to move up to an ALS truck.

I'm working while I go to school, user.
college isn't free for me and I have to make a living. I can make due with 12-14 an hour.

I don't have the privilege of going to school full time.

yup I know

Im a 10 year career emt/ff

1. Most of the calls you run are horse shit. Prepare for heavy burnout and get used to alcohol or coke being your best friend.

2. You will have no compassion real fucking quick. Fuck people and fuck their shitty choices.

3. Pay is meh if you are part of an actual dept, if your hired at station level, it is terrible.

4. Polititians hate you all the while they sing your praise. Fuck them.

5. You will get divorced. Not married yet? You will be and promptly divorced. Never EVER bring your SO around the station.

6. Reread 1 through 5, focus on 5.

So if money is your motivation, then get a job that pays better. Entry level jobs in most office environments (customer service, admin, etc) start at $15-18 depending where you are.

Seems like you made some shitty choices and hate your life.

You forgot about the 1st year rule you either loose a spouse or girlfriend and/or gain 20lbs.

I want the job to be somewhat relevant to what I'm doing, user. I'm not changing my mind.
thanks. I have nothing to do with a relationship. got past all that thank god.

If you’re a transport fav yeah.
>brotip: paramerics do transports too, because vents

Listen to everyone in this thread and find another job. EMTs are dispatched to all kinds of bullshit calls. You will most likely be working in some bad neighborhoods. You will see some real horrible shit. You will probably get assaulted at some point.

A taxi? Most people don’t know the difference between an EMT and a garbage truck driver

Not really. I can draw a pension before Im 40. But I just want the OP to actually know what he is getting into. A reason exists on why firefighter/emt tops the list of stressful jobs consistantly

Shut up faggot i hope you die

Paramedic in the UK here, I can only assume it's similar over there - sure sounds like it from reading all this.

The job is fucking great, when you actually get to do the job you signed up for. Saving lives and actually getting to help people. Problem is thats in the incredibly rare minority. An easy 95+ % of all the jobs you get called to is utter bullshit from stupid people who dont want to pay for a taxi to the ED. On an average month I can count on one hand the number of people I go to that genuinely need an ambulance for a life or death emergency. I work in a major city, and you can basically time your day based around when carers go to visit old people.

- pick up old person whos shit at life and fallen over & cant get up
- pick up old person whos got a urine infection & fallen & cant get up
- go to a nursing home where an old person has fallen and the staff have a "no lifting" policy to protect their backs (but its ok to call EMS and fuck their backs picking up fat old Dorris whos been bedbound for the last 10 years and decided TODAY WAS THE DAY she was gonna try walking again)
- go to drunk whos fallen over and cant get up (because the "helpful" bystanders who did a 1 day first aid course are holding his head and telling him not to move incase he broke his neck)
-go to waste of space mental health patient whos "feeling suicidal" but wont do anything about it, and as soon as you drop them off at the ED theyll walk out again and wont get any help
- go to new parent whos baby wont stop crying. (pro-tip, babies do literally only 3 things: sleep, cry, shit everywhere)
- go to stupid Middle Eastern family who dont speak English and are all stood around wailing and flailing their arms about and pretending to faint/not talk to you because they have a cold and sniffly nose.
- MATERNITAXI
- pick up old person whos fallen over again and still refusing to go to hospital despite calling an ambulance 5 times today already for falling over.

And thats an average day.

bumping for interest, also htinking of training as EMT

I always find that eurobros are way more relaxed. society as a whole in western europe is just chill.
here in burgerland, basketball americans and trailer trash single moms find the dumbest ways to get themselves hurt.

I think it will be overall a challenging experience and that's what I desire. I don't want to leave this life before having some stories to tell.

Nah, we get just as many dumbfucks over here. I wouldnt mind so much if they actually had hurt themselves so I could do something, but its just relentless BS all day every day.

>be me
>get called to 30-something male
>dispatched as "traumatic back injuries, cant move"
>arrive to find landwhale fatfuck lying in bed wailing like a baby
>pulled a muscle in his back getting out of the bath
>thinks this warrants a 999 ambulance call because "it hurts so bad" and wants morphine
>GTFO skrub
>give him 2 paracetemol (aceteminophen) and tell him to see his GP in the morning if it still hurts

heh. what's your salary like? what are you pursuing in the long run?

Then on the other extreme

>be me
>get dispatched to a 17yr old girl who claims to have taken an OD because her boyfriend left her
>lolwhatever.jpg its gonna be a load of shit, stupid teenage girl being a drama queen and crying over nothing, probably taken like 3 paracetemol
>arrive
>ohshit
>shes not fucking breathing
>lolwtf shes actually done it properly for once, holy shit a genuine suicide attempt
>run full ALS code
>get her back
>check up on her in hospital a few days later
>braindead, hospital talking with family about pulling the plug
>absolutely fucking devastated

This is the kind of shit, you have to be able to go from fat useless fuck who wants pain relief, to someone dying infront of you, and not be cynical as fuck about it and get lured into a false sense of security

Salary is mediocre I guess? After tax its about £32k/year (about $45k USD I think?)

I could get more if I went to work for a private firm rather than the NHS, but I'd lose a lot of the benefits of NHS work, chiefly an amazing pension and good workers rights, neither of which are offered to private firms

>when bugs... become real

This is the shit that is rare but devestating, no matter how tough you think your mind is. I can still see the face of a Pt who was laughing with us and died mid laugh. And can still hear his wife telling me "im gonna kill him for putting me through this" while we were transporting. I had even just told her what was going on too.

Yeah, then on the other hand you get the really bizzare shit.

Like the time we got called to someone "hanging in the kitchen"

so we go fucking screaming across the city doing mach 10 through every red light to get there.

>little old lady sitting in the kitchen
>"CANT YOU SEE THE BEAST?! HES RIGHT THERE!"
>looking around, see nothing, the fuck is this shit?
>"THERE! HES THERE!"
>pointing at wind chime hanging from ceiling
>wind chime has a small mirror in the center of it
>little old lady has dementia so fucking bad she doesnt recognise her own face and thinks the reflection of herself in the mirror, is actually someone whos hung themself in her kitchen
>MFW

What were the circumstances involved in the pt dying mid laugh?

Had a huge ass blizzard, mid shoveling he started having a heart attack. Wife was getting ready, I was shoveling for the guy. Just joking around with him, he didnt show any signs of severe distress. Mid laugh, no joke and guy was gone.