Brasil Macacos

Ever since I was a kid I always heard Argentinians and Uruguayans refering to brazilians as "macacos", never a paraguayan or chilean or colombian or whatever.
Apparently it's not a recent thing but something from hundreds of years ago, when we won the battle in Sarandí people invaded the brazilian consul and tore everything apart, when they destroyed Pedro I's emblems they did mentioned him being the "emperor of the monkeys".

Can a brazilian explain this to me? of course this was never taught to us at school just like we were never taught about aiding Nazis in the WW2 so maybe in Brazil you guys know why? I found it interesting because it's a thing that happens all the time even nowadays

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Riachuelo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We often used slaves as cannon fodder so that must be it.

But Argentina did too, that's how they decreased their black population(they also sent a lot here)

>I always heard Argentinians and Uruguayans refering to brazilians as "macacos"
really? I only knew about the macaco thing when I started browsing Sup Forums

Idk really, maybe it just caught on us. Don't forget that a fuckton of slaves were brought.

I've heard a lot of people, whenever they insult a brazilian the go-to seems to be macaco(not all the time of course but it's quite popular) in football happens all the time too.

Maybe it was some sort of spainvsportugal thing that influenced here

It's a Paraguayan 19th century meme

Could be, but nowadays is more a football thing since most of our players are black or one of the parents is black.

fuck you guys, Paraguay was on its way to becoming a superpower in the 19th century, it was based as fuck, and then you macacos had to ruin it

To us since I was a kid, all Spanish America = indios, really.

>want to became a superpower
>declare war on the two biggest countries of the subcontinent
it's not like that how it works

This. Also, it's not a meme, just cross the Uruguayan border. Looks like a native reserve.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Riachuelo

>lets attack one of the best navys in the world with fishing boats

Wow, so powerful.

To me Brazil is Africa shithole

It's not ofensive being compared to a black when you're not one.

But from Mexico to Uruguay, being a native american or part native means suicide.

ya'll monkeys and apes

be more like our turkish brethren

That's a marxist myth
Paraguay was already bad before the war, it just became worse because Lopez thought he could simply start an expansionist campaign without a proper military or alliances

It wasn't them, they were doing the laundry for England.

Argentina was the same, they were always dominated by UK, we were never relevant enough for that.

Never heard about "macacos" referered to Brasil irl, I only knew that was some word for monkey, but we just say "mono" for that.

Eh my dad is Mestizo and he's fine. Granted he's not a 1.60 cholo

Serious, being called a nigger or black sounds nothing offensive. But every Spanish speaking country get instantly upset when you call them Native Americans for some reason, especially the lightest skinned ones.

You sound really autistic

Nice revisionist meme.

Oh please England had nothing to do with that.

People fall for this meme where Paraguay was a "rising superpower" and that England didn't wanted them.

Niggas barely had shoes.

That "England was behind it all" thing never made any sense anyway
Brazil and the UK were with their diplomatic relations cut by the time the war started

The explanation I heard once was that the brits wanted every river around the world to be navigable, making it easier on them to trade their manufactured goods all around the world. Not sure how that hypotesis links to Paraguay tho

That makes no sense, our independence was in 1820s and the paraguay war in the 60s

We only made some loans from European banks at the time.

Paraguay wanted sea acess because of the Uruguayan civil war was won by the side our empire was supporting. Because of that, Paraguay wouldn't be able to export their shit "freely".

Pedro even sent a letter to Solano for negotiations, but he denied and declared war.