The right to keep and bear arms is a constitutionally protected right...

The right to keep and bear arms is a constitutionally protected right. If a right has to be applied for (background checks, concealed carry permits) and approved by the government, is it still a right or is it a privilege?

Let's discuss.

get back to Sup Forums

Neither. It's an outdated concept held onto by savages with inferiorty complexes

I hate to spoil your fun but there’s no such thing as rights. They’re imaginary and we made them up. Rights are an idea and just imaginary. They are a cute idea but fictional.

back to Sup Forums fucker

Why did you get it in your head that rights have no limits?

There's Supreme Court Cases every year that decide what the Amendments do and dont cover.

"The people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
It doesnt say what kind of "arms". As long as people are allowed to keep and bear some type of Arms, does that not mean that the 2nd Amendment hasnt been violated?

Obama coming for your guns! Better stock up!

We can choose to place some limitations on our rights, e.g. permits for CCW, permits for protests, etc. But a right, by definition, must be free. This is why there is no right to healthcare. We can provide healthcare at no cost, but that is not a right.

Its not a right when there are barriers to prevent you from accessing your right.

Having a background check, mandatory 3 day waiting period, and other registration and fees outside of the actual cost of the firearm, is impeding your right to bare arms.

>As long as people are allowed to keep and bear some type of Arms
Why cant i arm my self with nuclear weapons?
Or full auto?
Or how about a minigun?

What part of "well regulated" do you not understand?

Fucking this. Americans are so dumb they don't understand their own laws.

jesus christ this. it's in the first three words ffs

Owning slaves was once a right, you know

this honestly makes no sense in 2018. this militia thing comes from the deep-rooted fear people had of standing armies 300 years ago. Today the US has the most powerful standing army in the world. It's hypocritical at best, and utterly stupid at most

Do you think you should be able to buy a bazooka? A tank? A fighter plane?

Show me in the constitution where slavery was an affirmed right.

Not saying it absolutely wasn't. I'm genuinely curious.

Get 70% of all states to agree, and everything was "once a right"

If I got 7 of 10 states to agree, you "once had the right to free speech" Same with "you once had the right to choose or not choose your own religion"

Thats the worst argument you could have come up with

next you're going to tell us the third amendment is also a relic of times long passed, have fun providing quarter for soldiers hippie!

I'm pro 2nd
The Reason background checks don't make sense is that if someone is dangerous enough to not be trusted with a gun then why do we trust them at all?
They all need to be in prison or a mental ward anyways.

>Or full auto?
>Or how about a minigun?
You can. Got the cash?

...What part of a semi colon do you not understand?

Bill of rights are the first ten ratified amendments, which includes the second. It's a right, not just a privilege. Those rights shall not be infringed.

interesting the "shall not be infringed" part is red, but the "well regulated militia" part isn't. Shows your real intentions.

A militia to the Founding Fathers were a bunch of farm boys with personal muskets who would come running when called upon.

Have we forgotten the US's first navy was a bunch of private fishing boats, armed with privately owned artillery?

and do tell us why they had a deep rooted fear of a standing army. It wouldnt have anything to do with standing armies are a tool of large dominating government would it?

Huh, imagine that. Creating rules to keep the private citizen as strong as possible to ensure the government stays as weak as possible.

the right to arms won't be infringed. doesn't specify which arms

Personal weapons are just a sop. They don't present any threat or warning to the government.

What about a fully auto minigun that shoots nukes

except the right of speech when it incites violence or disorder,
except the right of assembly when it's inconvenient for the rich and powerful,
except the free exercise of religion when it clashes with the personal welfare of others,

Shall.
Not.
Be.
Infringed.

They meant the right to form local militias

In 1776, the population was 40,000 mostly rural citizens. Now it's 300 million, mostly urban.

It's possible the rules need to change just a tad.

Well.
Regulated.
MILITIA.

Seriously, what part of "well regulated" is giving you trouble? Is it the "regulated" part?

Fuck yeah. Know where I could get one?

we don't say that word round these parts