Huge fan of Twin Peaks here

Huge fan of Twin Peaks here.
Anyone here know of something that captures it's awesome and fleshed out characters along side with the funny and serious tone of the show? (Generally anything like it)
I don't mind if it's foreign or not I enjoy Jap and Korean stuff quite a bit.
I'm open to all recommendations.
Thanks guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8
youtube.com/watch?v=dHMuwlchhmM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Leftovers has some similarities to Twin Peaks. Way more of a serious show. Not a lot of comedy.

Nothing captures the same vibe of Twin Peaks apart from maybe Lynch's other movies (esp. Blue Velvet). Most people would recommend X-Files but it doesn't have much of a lighter side to it. Unfortunately, Twin Peaks is really just one of a kind in its distinctive tone.

Twin Peaks is pretty unique.

It takes a very campy setting of the 90s soap opera, introduces a very serious theme but plays it in an extremely lighthearted way.

Actually somethign that is a little similar is Takeshi Kitano stuff like Hana-bi and Sonatine, serious movies filmed in a slightly unserious manner(dead pan "action" etc) and is studded with these moments of fun and genuine happiness.

The X Files is comfy af.

I'll check it out thanks.
Isn't that the teacher in Battle Royale? also I'll check some of his stuff out.
Already watched X-Files Loved it but you are right didn't quite have the same vibes I'll check out velvet blue. (and yes it was comfy I just missed Molder near the end) OH WAIT ISN'T THERE A NEW X-FILES Any of you guys checked it out is it as good as the old stuff?
That is true

Watch Blue Velvet, it's like a prequel to Twin Peaks

It shares the setting with it, but it feels deeply removed from twin peaks. So don't go in expecting twin peaks the movie.

If you can handle animation, Over The Garden Wall has something of a similar vibe (dark humour, American supernatural vibes, eccentric characters). It is a kid's show but a well made one for sure (the soundtrack alone is worth it).

youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8

Pushing Daises is also a show that blends murder mystery with lighthearted tone and is pretty comfy but it was way more colourful and less realistic. Bryan Fuller takes a lot of influence from Twin Peaks so all his shows are slightly indebted.

> It is a kid's show

Id say that Over the Garden Wall is far more aimed at 20 somethings than it is kids at all.

Definitely start with fire walk with me if you haven't seen it

After that, possibly Lars von Trier's The Kingdom series

I watched FWWM the extended fan edit with all the cut scenes and, I loved it. I will check out Lars I have never heard it before thanks for the suggestion.
I haven't seen Over the Garden Wall yet I loved Gravity Falls so I'm sure I will like this thanks.

Alan Wake, videogame.
If you hate vidya, put it on easy and face roll through.
Nothing else has even come close to twin peaks.

Currently playing it on normal. Thanks for the suggestion.

>is it as good as the old stuff?

Season 10 of the X-Files has one great episode, two decent ones and three shit ones. It's definitely not as good as seasons 1-6. Worth watching I guess but a lot of it really pissed me off.

Alright thanks that's to bad it isn't as good over all :/

The danish series Riget was one of the most successful 'copies' of TP. Avoid the American Remake at all cost. On the other hand it's not even watchable. It's so fucking plastic that I think it falls apart if someone tries to watch it.

>yet I loved Gravity Falls so I'm sure I will like this thanks.

Ah, I was going to recommend GF myself.

Season 3.

I've heard that there are books that surround the series, are they any good? Are they separate stories or what?

I have not read the Cooper Tapes I just bought Diary of Laura Palmer and I'm going to read it soon I also got Plastic memories I believe it's called, It's a book of articles that try it's best to explain what Twin Peaks is all about. There is another book that came out recently called The Secret History of Twin Peaks I just got that in the mail as well I believe it's just small pieces of things like letters and such that explain a bit more about the Twin Peaks lore.
GET FUCKIN HYPE YO.

None of them is strictly canon and they all have varying degrees of inconsistencies with the tv show.
The secret diary of laura palmer is basically a prequel to fwwm, the diary is the one harold reads from in the tv show, though it's one year off compared to the show. It's pretty good but it just ends abruptly as you can imagine.
My life, my tapes is Agent Cooper's biography, again it can't be canon because it mentions cooper investigating the teresa banks case when that's clearly not the case in fwwm, I haven't read it in like 10 years but I remember it being ok.
The twin peaks access guide is just what it sounds like, it has details on the local flora and fauna, restaurants and what not, it's funny if you are a huge fanboy but it's not that crucial.
The secret history of twin peaks is an epistolary novel consisting of a huge archive regarding lodge incidents, it's basically a book about the origins of project bluebook even if the novel never puts it that way. It also explains a few things that happened between season 2 and the upcoming 3 and some background details. It's full of continuity errors though, and while mark frost says it was intended I highly doubt that's true

>while mark frost says it was intended I highly doubt that's true
He only says it about a couple of things. The general consensus is that the book is full of unintentional little errors and a few intentional ones, which means it's a bit of a clusterfuck.

the interview I saw basically said that the continuity inconsistencies were a feature and not a bug and that "all will be revealed", it never specified which ones were intentional and which weren't. Almost nothing lines up with the tv show though, Laura was the wrong age, the nadine/ed/hank/norma storyline is completely different, norma's mom is dead, hank knew jean renault since the beginning, harry and cooper supposedly knew that andrew packard was alive and spoke with him before josie was killed etc.
Every time I find something new, it never ends

This is a trump board now, buddy

Thanks user.

wait what did he mean by this?

The owls aren't what they seem.

I haven't watched Twin Peaks, but I will try next week. What's it about?

Trees.

Rabbit Fall (it's pretty short and low budget, but good. 14 half hour episodes)

American Gothic (the Gary Cole series, not the unrelated new one. The supernatural is more overt, but it's got that samll town feel and Gary is the best villain)

Les Revenants (it's the best one, but it's in French. Don't know if the american remake is any good)

Good goddamn coffee and waifus.

symmetrical boobs

It's about a murder. The less you know the better. It's super comfy/spooky/warm and has amazing characters that get fully fleshed out check it out. It may be slow in the middle of the second season but trust me it's worth. Also if you like it and want to know more about the mystery after the show watch the Fan edit FWWM by Q2 I think it's so worth it.

Thanks.

If you don't mind a movie instead of a tv show:

The Limits of Control.
Coffe. Check. Murder. Check. Quirky Characters. Check. Comfy, Check. Weird as fuck. Check.

Beyond the Black Rainbow is good too, but maybe there isn't enough down to earth bits in it to be comparable to TP. It's basically 90% like the weird scenes of TW.

There's also the French Canadian tv series Grande Ourse. It was very much like TP.

There was a movie to close the series but it was very different in tone and not that good.

Not sure where you could find it with subs though.

Not sure if you're a gamer, but the budget title "Deadly Premonition" is basically Twin Peaks: The Video Game.

Gameplay itself is mediocre, but if you're patient you'll find a pretty intriguing plot.

youtube.com/watch?v=dHMuwlchhmM

There's nothing like twin peaks. If there were anything like it and also good Twin Peaks wouldn't have endured for this long and it's why people are so excited for the new season.

I know the game's notorious for being buggy and crashing a lot, but fucking hell it literally won't launch for me even after installing a patch and trying various fixes

the great one is really great though

Northern Exposure captures the small-town feel and comfy light tone, has a similar environment and some of the visual flair. Has none of the horror or absurdism, though.

OP here I actually bought the collectors edition of the game about a year ago.