There's one thing I genuinely don't understand about American politics

There's one thing I genuinely don't understand about American politics.

So, the senators and congress members are the ones who vote on laws and things that will affect everyone, right? Why is it legal for those sitting members to take money from corporations and companies that ultimate sway their vote? How is it not considered bribery?

Like the NRA and ISPs giving them money to vote for issues in their favor.

Can someone explain that to me?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How is it not considered bribery?
Because people do the same thing with PACs
Read a book

They're paying for the lobbyists to speak on their behalf and swing the votes their way. Its just that most the money goes directly from the company to congess with little to nothing for the lobbyists

My cousin is a lobbyist in Colorado and this is one part of the congessional system i understand

You didn't answer the question
Read the text

Ok so why is it legal for congress to be bribed?

It is not legal to give a member of Congress money in exchange for voting on X, Y, or Z. It is legal, however, to donate to their reelection campaigns and other causes they determine worthy and then ask they consider your position. Why? Americans are silly creatures who worship money, and to cast it in any negative light is the highest sin.

There's a ton of money in American politics because America is a Capitalist nation and our version of capitalism has made us sick. Money is power, no matter where you are, however.

PAC's and lobbying are legal actions because our legislators like money and made it that way.

Because bribery under a different name is legal. Like tax avoidance is legal but tax evasion isn't. Both achieve the same goals but by legal and illegal means respectively.

There isn't a single government on the planet where the majority of them aren't bought and paid for by some corporation.

So 'bribe' is re branded as 'donation' and the act itself of receiving money should be banned?
Not OP, but I was interested

The real reason is that money was deemed as speech by the Supreme Court and since you have freedom of speech no one can limit your speech.

Money is God; capitalism is simply the dogma by which the former is worshiped. There is a reason Churches, especially those Protestant denominations, are joined at the hip with capitalism as a core creed of their belief system. Jesus? Yes, insofar as Jesus can be said to be a capitalist. Otherwise, he's utterly useless and counterproductive to the message we're spreading.

and the whining continues
stay mad kid

Because the people in charge of voting on these things are the people who get the bribes, they can also vote to raise their salary

ask hillary
she has more experiancs in tbose matters

Do members of Congress receive a paycheck from the government?
If they are then they get paid twice?

this retarded

Anybody may donate to a campaign. We have campaign finance laws that dictate how much money may be donated.

Corporations and non-profits are, for this purpose, recognized as a legal entity with some rights that overlap that of citizens. They may spend money to promote their interests. Candidates who hold views that are in line with these legal entities may receive campaign donations. Donations to a campaign are viewed as a form of free speech.

Direct bribery is illegal. There is a legal definition of this you can look up.

Lobbying is a different matter. Lobbyists are paid by corporations, non-profits and groups to talk to members of Congress and persuade them to vote one way or another. This is also free speech. Occasionally lobbyists will offer members of Congress a proposed bill or amendment or part of a bill that supports their cause. This, too, is free speech. It is awfully sketchy, though.

this retarded

stay mad kid

ask hillary

Bribery is illegal but companies "donate" money to them.

Just like being a hooker is illegal, which is why they accept "donations".

Americans are fucking stupid, you just have to roll with it.

Yes, they all start out on the low side of six figures.

sure kid

this mad
stay mad kid

Opinion Discarded
It was a matter of time before some Drumpf faggot stepped in slinging names around

Opinion Discarded

Read the wiki post above

this retarded
just applying you methods
not funny now kid?

I don't live in your shithole country. I'm happy. If I get sick, I won't be in debt for life.

stay mad kids

I'm not mad at all. I just answered OPs question.

doesn't happen here either.
you believed the american media.
lmao
stay mad kid

2018's trolling at its finest

Because the Supreme Court ruled that not only is corporations giving money to politicians NOT corruption, it isn't even the appearance of corruption. Most Republicans agree with this ruling

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_United_v._FEC

It's more complicated than that, but ''bribe'' isn't the right word for the relationship between K Street and the Capitol.

Really, the system is quite straight-forward. Say you're representing the ethanol lobby and there is a major piece of legislation your clients want passed. Being a good lobbyist, you're quite eager to help them so you take a large sum of money directly from ethanol industries or trade groups who are composed of ethanol producers.

Okay, great, you have a lot of money now what? Here is where it gets tricky. As I mentioned, you can't simply walk up to a member of Congress and say ''I'll give you 10,000 if you vote yes on this measure.'' That would be extremely illegal, though the Trump administration is fostering corruption like I've never seen in my 10 years in the swamp. What do you do?

You'd likely dispatch whatever assets (read: friends and acquaintances of members of Congress) to persuade any Rep. or Senator to vote for the proposal your clients would like to see passed. To show good faith, you'd also make donations to their campaign or a larger, party-specific organization like the RNC, before reaching out to any member of Congress.

Once that's finished, you'll essentially take the role of a salesperson, and since Congress will listen to those who fund their campaigns, you'll have a welcoming ear if your position isn't something absolutely crazy like selling heroin to children. Ethanol? Yep, benefits big RNC donors and voters. You'll find a receptive audience. If the Congressperson is good to you, you'll even likely offer them a job when they're throw out of office!

stay mad kid

stay mad kid

You must be on your parents insurance. A simple blood test costs $600-700 and lab work can cost a couple thousand for a routine check up.

Stay mad kid

and a whole lot of democrats

stay mad kid

you must be retarded

It has been this way for over 400 years.

GRAAAAAAHHHH

you are probably a kid yourself you fucking cretin

Right you are Harry

in a country thats 200+ years old

sure kid
stay mad bitch millennial

When you hear pundits discussing the ''revolving door,'' this is what they're talking about. There is a very close relationship between government officials and lobbyists.

Look President Trump's cabinet, or any cabinet, and you'll see what I mean. Many appointees are also connected to certain industries, industries that would benefit greatly if someone on their ''side'' were given the charge of regulating them.

Mad lads

IM FUCKING MAD RIGHT NOW

But only because I have Spectrum internet and there's no competition and I can't afford to move.

What's going on in this thread?

losers crying about trump

Oh okay. Well keep #resisting and Tweeting. Surely that whole Russia thing should kick off any day now.

also snowflakes crying about folks being mean to Trump

Yes, because cable companies have entered into a voluntary agreement not to compete.

stay mad princess

Because corporations are people and money is free speech.

t. Citzens United

too late loser

stay mad bitch millennial

say what you want kid
you're only making yourself look stupid

wah wah!! why are people mean to my GOD EMPEROR?

This is what you sound like right now

Are you a retard?

you already used that insult
come up with some new material kid

sure kid
so much the loser

children should not be seen nor should they be heard

You're a fucking liar. I know people that have been financially crippled by medical expenses.

Denying it doesn't make it not real.

sure kid
live the delusion then

Be off with you. Fool.

oh yeah never met anyone who was shot either.

weak reply

No because it sounds like shit. Screw you

Then why are you talking ?

weak reply

"Tell me more"

They don't actually take the money. Their campaign fund takes the money. It is supposed to get spent on campaign ads and stuff like that.

Bribery would be straight up giving people money that they can spend to buy a new car or something.

ask hillary

It's fucked up but they're making bank from it so you really think they'll vote to stop that practice? Politicians are just people with power and they obtained that power through lies and playing the game most of the time. Votes are bought and sold and we're helpless to stop it

She will point you to the ruling of Judge Scalia.

ask hillary
you know Clinton Foundation and all that shit kid

It's because bribery is Constitutionally protected free speech. Spending is speech/expression. Corporations have individual inalienable rights the same as human individuals.

They take the money. They often funnel it to themselves or family members. It's easy to skim or "steal". Could also get lost. The rules and laws that govern all of this bribery are made by the very same people who take the bribes. They will not change anything. They are all corrupt. It's all a scam to increase their wealth. You do not matter to them.

stay mad kid

sure kid
no proof though?

>2018
>Hillary

>Uses only Republican lobbyists as examples
Liberal faggot detected

Mainly because people allow it and still vote for the same people in the name of "free" stuff

stay mad princess

stay mad kid

sure kid

struck a nerve.
kepping up the fight
just like she told you to.

I'm not even whoever the fuck you've been spamming kid to this entire thread. /b is a bunch of fucking teenagers these days. There's been nothing of value on this garbage shill board in over 6 years. I only even came in here to give the academically correct answer.

really?
where would that be sweetie?

mean to reply to you with

fucking children on this site these days

See

I'd provide the specific court cases, but someone else already mentioned them and you don't even care anyways.

Lmao I'm too drunk for this. This is the answer to OP's question.

sage in all fields

They pass it off as freedom of speech, wherein donations are considered speech; thus protected under whichever amendment. Some tried to limit the size of donations but it's loophole after loophole. And even if it were illegal, they would still accept money through shell companies, relatives etc because the public is not interested enough to dig through all that.

try actually posting next time

redundant post