Influential/Important Electronic Albums

I'm trying to put together a chart of electronic albums that came out in the past 20 years or so that have had a large and identifiable impact on the sound of contemporary releases. Post electronic albums you think are influential and explain why and argue with people about their posts.

Pic related seems like an obvious choice, PC Music and SOPHIE's minimal, glossy club sound borrows so heavily from Classical Curves, not to mention how much more sparse Hudson Mohawke's sound became from 2011 to 2014. That, and all the aforementioned artists have seen mainstream success.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/wdhdXbKI-OE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stop it, you are utterly clueless.
Also stop pretending that PC Music has put a tune worth your time other than hey qt.

Burial - Untrue: created the entire future garage sound
Flying Lotus - Los Angeles: established the 2000's beat scene and codified a new style of detailed electronic music different from IDM
Hudson Mohawke - Butter
Rustie - Glass Swords: both this and Butter brought a new bright maximalist party sound that was still experimental and boundary pushing in contrast to the dark, intellectual style most associate with electronic music
Oneohtrix Point Never - R Plus 7: abstract form and syntax showed new possibilities and has been hugely influential on countless bedroom producers

As far as PC Music is concerned, whether or not the music they make is quality is irrelevant. It seems to me that their sound is indebted to Classical Curves, and they've seen great popular success with that sound, Charli XCX's mixtape with them made it to the Billboard top 200 and Vince Staples' Big Fish theory peaked at #16. My argument is that PC Music and a handful of other musicians were inspired by the sound of the album, and have since popularized that sound, therefore the album is influential. Whether or not any of the music is any good is irrelevant. What part of my argument do you disagree with?

One of the first full albums to feature sample-heavy compositions with Pop sensibilities, implement wider use of sequencers, samplers and complex drum programming, and mix multiple genres of existing music into a single track. It had a big influence on Hip-Hop production at the time and a lasting influence on just about all genres of electronic music thereafter, as well as pop and rock.

I agree with all of these except for Butter and R plus 7. What are some albums you would say are indebted to these two?
I also have a hard time disagreeing with Butter because it seems to me like Hudson Mohawke quickly abandoned his minimalist sound in favor of much sparser production.
I'd also feel like Untrue had much more of an impact on the popular sphere through artists like James Blake and Mount Kimbie, but maybe those would fall under the "future garage label"
thanks for your thoughtful reply

whoops, should be "hard time agreeing" not "hard time disagreeing"

Kara-Lis Coverdale
Holly Herndon
Dedekind Cut

Can't think of more right now but i have been hearing the R Plus 7 sound in a lot of bedroom producers music

Boards of Canada

it's impossible to escape 0pn's influence on producers today, especially that album though you could switch it out with Replica. so many notable underground artists what he does with sound and arrangement. Lorenzo Senni, Lanark Artefax, Giant Claw, Arca, Iglooghost just to name a few. Butter really didn't sound like anything that came out beforehand and was as influential if not moreso to what PC Music do as well as literally hundreds of Soundcloud producers and trap DJs.

>Pic related seems like an obvious choice, PC Music and SOPHIE's minimal, glossy club sound borrows so heavily from Classical Curves,
no it didn't. girl unit has more in common with fucking pc music than that album

anyway i talked to sophie backstaged and she told me this album youtu.be/wdhdXbKI-OE was a huge influence on her.

Anything by autechre

Not to mention that the song "souvlaky space station" from the most overrated 90s band is literally just "moments in love" played with guitars

Tri Rep and Amber for Autechre

That makes sense, not sure why Dedikind Cut didn’t spring to mind immediately

Not really sure what your point is here, Returnal and R plus 7 sound wildly different, do you mean that they’re both influential albums for different reasons or are you trying to say that they have a similar sound?
As far as Arca being being influenced by R+7, I have a hard time buying it seeing as how his debut came out several months before and I don’t see how his sound has changed significantly since (aside from his self-titled, which seems like a far cry from R+7)

>I talked to Sophie backstage and...
Would you like to provide evidence to support your claims?

I agree that Girl Unit and Night Slugs in general had an impact on PC Music’s sound, but we’re talking specifically about albums and regardless, Classical Curves influenced Girl Unit’s sound post 2012. Listen to the first couple GFOTY tracks and then listen to I Don’t Wanna/Let’s Do It and tell me Classical Cueves didn’t didn’t change her sound

Converting vegetarians side b

Pendulum-hold your color
Bad company-Inside the machine
Infected mushroom-Converting vegetarians
TC-Evolution
London elektricity-Billion dollar gravy

My $0.02
> Arca - Stretch 1+2 (could be easily merged into a legit "LP" album, initiated "arcacore" type of sound, much the same story as Burial)
> Chuck Persons's Eccojams (being an 0pn alter ego this again spawned a huge "underground" cult following)
> James Ferraro - Far Side Virtual (quite the same league as 0pn)

Could you explain more what you mean about Arca’s first 2 EPs? How do you define the “arcacore” sound and where do you hear it in other releases?

I’m halfway with you about eccojams and far side virtual, but I think that Floral shoppe seriously overshadows them in terms of lasting influence

How? What other artists or albums have they influenced and in what ways?

> "arcacore"
You'd find a lot of those if you're used to browse through soundcloud and search for some obscure stuff as there are many artists/labels developing this trend, to name a few (more or less known) - Lotic, Eaves, Amnesia Scanner.
And I believe "Floral shoppe" wouldn't be possible if not for Eccojams.