Normie vs. Pleb

What distinction, if any, separates a Normie from a Pleb? From what I believe, Normies usually have a predisposition to the easily accessible, as in music they can easily digest. They typically enjoy top 40 music, some classics from the last century, and maybe entry-level classical/experimental music. They either have no interest in, or have limited ability to delve deeper outside their comfort zone.

Plebs, or plebians on the other hand strike me as beginners into the realm of music. Unlike Normies, Plebs have the courage to venture into the unfamiliar and test their musical intelligence. However, their propensity to journey into new music diminishes due to their inability to recognize good music from bad. In other words, they have "shit" taste.

Do you think this is mostly accurate, or are they actually one and the same and can be used interchangeably?

Asking for... research. Yeah. Asking for research.

A normie would never listen to a ton of anime and video game music.

A pleb would.

Even entry-level OSTs like Majora's Mask, Xenogears, Shin Megami Tensei, etc.?

Money and status you fucking moron. Jesus Christ the people on this website are stupid.

Woah, no need for the hostility! I merely asked a question, and you act as if I misplaced the sulfur for frog venom.

Normies are the ones who usually listen to a musician most famous/acclaimed/accesible songs/albums and don't get too into them

Pleb is the one who thinks is a patrician but only acts like a pretentious idiot who thinks knows everything about music

You're a stupid and worthless namefag

He is right though

Normies wouldnt even know what those are.

I don't even know what those are. Except Zelda, but I never even played it. I'm even old enough to have had an N64 when it was new. I just dont like fairy games.

All normies are plebs, but not all plebs are normies

No he isn't. He is blatantly contradicting the definitions of established words because who gives a fuck.

"normies" are uninterested in having a musical taste and are generally content with whatever is handed to them by radio, spotify recommendations, etc.

"plebs" do have a musical tastes, but it is what people generally consider "shit taste", such as hair metal, nightcore, video game/anime OSTs, nu-metal, etc.

Sup Forums board culture is one of random fucks compared to other boards like fit or r9k so these terms will never have clear meaning here

Normies have no interest in music and so listen to music in an entirely different way than how somebody with an interest in music would. A normie would listen to music as background or to set a mood where as somebody with an interest would listen to the music itself

A pleb is somebody with an interest in music though an undeveloped one. They generally listen to alternative forms of pop or accessible forms of other larger genres and have no deeper knowledge about music

everything is an alternative form of pop

No, no it's not

other than the most abstract ambient all music has a melodic pop appeal

Okay, I might have been a bit more cryptic on my references, but I'm sure there are plenty of Normies who have at the bare minimum known about Zelda and Mario games, and can name songs from each.

Some kind of melody ≠ pop

yeah it'd be an alternative to it

alternative pop ≠ alternative to pop

think about this from different angles is there a meaningful line in the sand between those two?

Fig. 1: Typical plebeian pseudo-intellectual in his natural habitat

taking the low road, huh?

Except being a pleb is a matter of bloodline - rich plebs were common.

Those are two very different things. I met normies with a good taste in music (eg. a few abitual festival goers, granted they're a small minority but they exist) and robots that listen to total shit (as other people mentioned already, weebs are a good example)

im weeb shall I list off Sup Forums-core and stuff I found on all music like the rest of you?

if a songs from a game or show you haven't seen theres the problem

>weebs replying to my post
Anyway I'm talking about the ones of your kind that only listen to anime openings and the incredibly shitty Japanese indie rock groups that produce them. Not even mentioning J-Pop which is safe to define as 95% shit (I would say 100% but I'm not an expert and I'm open to arguments)

its all about thisthats the disconnect its understandable why it seems like shit if you haven't experienced a song as part of a game or show. I love Touhou music because its a rhythm game and have memories with it

A normie is someone who actively presents themselves as archetypical my normal by liking anything that is popular within their social sphere - Imagine Dragons, Big Bang Theory, Christopher Nolan Movies.
A pleb is culturally ignorant. A pleb calls a picture art. A pleb says they are a film expert and gives the Avengers as an example of an excellent film. A pleb cites Ed Sheeran as the best active musician.

An idiot doesn't know this. A moron makes a thread instead of googling both words.

Ok this is a good argument, but I still think that the quality of the anime (which is debatable itself) isn't enough to save the opening or the OST if they're shit. Also I don't want to generalize, there may be some patrician weebs but if you're not aware of all the crazy waifufags that only listen to the shitty idol songs they use in their favourite animu you're probably one of them

never paid attention to k-pop threads and I don't watch anime with audio. the OSTS of any early 2000s shounen like bleach will have gems I only listen to Touhou music it syncs up with the levels highly recommend the free demos to anyone

the biggest distinguisher is if they only like Queen and Pink Floyd, ignore entire genres, and don't like Death Grips.

user I'm not talking about YOU. There's plenty of people out there that unironically listen to Jojo openings and idol music. Those are plebs. Period.

actually have seen some idol videos on /jo/ and the strength is the visuals with those to the musics formula radio pop

*/jp/

OP here, saving my thread from oblivion. New question: is it possible for a Pleb or normie to ever become a patrician, or at least have decent taste?

all normies are plebs but not all plebs are normies.

it's a matter of bad v. mainstream taste
/thread
now go kill yourself