I know this is a polarizing topic, which is why I’m asking

I know this is a polarizing topic, which is why I’m asking...

What is the most impactful album ever created?

Probably paranoid by Black Sabbath.

Impactful on the world of music? or on society?

For the former gonna go with scruffi for TVU&N

I should have specified, most impactful on music

Sgt Pepper, no question

Unknown Pleasures maybe?

But probably Beatles.

I don't know... I think it may really be TVU&N. It was the initial point from which a gigantic continuum of music spawned... encompassing basically the entire gamut of alternative/punk/indie music. The art-rock and glam of the 70s, then punk, post-punk, college/alternative, indie. Just an entire world.

It was like rock music was only a half of a whole and then the Velvets provided that entire other half.

Probably Sgt. Peppers. On not just the world of Rock, but also Pop, Jazz, Experimental and what not.

It's not even one the Beatles better albums.

This. Even though Revolver, Rubber Soul, Abbey Road and arguably White Album are better, Sgt Peppers is BY FAR the most influential album of all time. How is this even up for debate?

Self Titled > Paranoid

Depends on the genre.

From all genres.

Why do normies act like Abbey road is the most important Beatles album?
The white album and Sgt Peppers are both miles ahead of this trash.

The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan? I think it may have influenced more musicians than TVU&N

Jazz was pretty much dead by the time Sgt. Peppers came out

first and foremost, importance is not always equivocated with quality

secondly, it’s clear ‘normies’ is a really general and blunt term for people you disagree, and The Beatles are insanely popular so you aren’t really earning contrarian cred with that one

third I love the white album and sgt pepper’s but i certainly prefer abbey road over sgt pepper’s, white album is about the same level as Abbey Road, but of course very different

Ultra contrarian time: John Lennon's "Imagine" and Paul McCartney's "Venus and Mars" are way more impactful and culturally relevant than any beatles work

Maybe McCartney, or Ram, or Band On The Run, or even fuckin Wings at the Speed of Sound. Definitely not Venus and Mars.

Probably this. But there’s other foundational albums:

Soft Machine - Third
Pet Sounds
Astral Weeks
In the Court of Le Crimson Queen
Sabbaths first record

My personal opinion: The Monks - Black Monk Time
Although it’s not the most popular pressing of the period, the true punk nature of this album just feels so much more essential that other Proto-Punk bands in the 60’s. You would have to listen to understand

Fuck I forgot about Jazz records.

I chance my whole answer to In a Silent Way

Band on the Run is probably a better choice
V&M just popped into my head first

How?

>imagine
Not really the album as a whole but the title track alone is a fair contender. That song may be more universally recognized than any Beatles song.
>Venus and mars
Great album but there’s no way it’s more culturally impactful than any Beatles album. Paul’s solo work is great but has always been second in most people’s eyes to The Beatles. Artistically it’s fantastic but if we’re talking influence then it’s definitely farther down the list.