twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It fucking sucks.

The closest thing I can think of is the Neverhood soundtrack

It sucks in a beautiful way

>masterpiece

lololololololololol

No it just fucking blows.
Shit isn't subjective

I can't believe how much of a quintessential pleb filter this album is.

The music in TMR all makes sense through music theory lenses. It's just very unconventional. Give it more listens and it might click for you in the future.

wow

i do not enjoy it

You say that because you think it's good?

i much prefer Freak Out

It pioneered some genres.

fun album desu. Good to scream some of these lyrics when you're angry you know.

this holy shit. anyone who thinks it sounds like trash should be banned on sight

>some idiot doesn't know shit about music
>"woah so deep he's subverting music theory"

Anyone who even mentions this piece of shit should be euthanized.

he's not, though. He tried to subvert music theory, but because he didn't know shit about it, he ended up making an album that broke a no rules at all. It's unconventional for rock music, but it works by all of the rules of music theory there are. It does have an interesting approach to songwriting, where all the instruments are interconnected and riff off each other, making a sloppy, but cohesive unit. That's what gives it it's charm and what makes people come back to it again and again. There are melodies, albeit no one instrument is the sole instrument playing the melody on any given song. They kind of hand off the melody to each other throughout the song, so each instrument gets the spotlight. Some of the more interesting riffs feature things like one instrument starting a riff and the other playing a background, then they seamlessly switch and all of a sudden, and the instrument that was originally playing a background finishes the riff the first instrument played, and the first instrument plays a background for the ending of the riff. Shit like that is rarely in rock music, and it makes the album fun to listen to and come back to over and over again. Not to mention the drumming on it is phenomenal. There is no drum solo quite as insane as the one in sugar and spikes, I can assure you that.

>the absolute state of this shithole aka neo-Sup Forums
What the fuck happened? Seriously though, we need to bring back elitism into this fucking board. Too bad all trips are fucking dead.

proto-math rock

>"but...but...it sounds bad on purpose, so it's good"
>"muh music theory"
If I wanted to listen to technically proficient music, I would listen to prog

They wrote this album to troll idiots who read into music too much.

Yeah, because forget differing opinions! Let's set it up just like a high school clique where all wimps get swirlies for breakfast and wedgies for lunch. Dear lord.

>it sounds bad on purpose
Not really. It sounds more like really overblown blues music to me.
youtube.com/watch?v=kcGFdnpf7To
youtube.com/watch?v=Js_iCPkICRQ

Yeah. Kind of like my shits over the course of any given week. On Sunday I usually wake up hung over from the night before and I gorge on shitty football food like tater tots and wings, so my shit is usually soft and oily on Monday morning. My shits from Monday through Thursday are mostly regular. Strong brown longs. Then Friday rolls around and I'm typically eating a lot of pizza. Lots of cheese and alcohol make my shit really fucking slow and hard. That's when Saturday kicks in and things get really interesting. Depending on where my friends want to order from, my shit could reflect anything from Chinese to Tacos to Subway sandwiches washed down with tons of vodka, monster, and occasional psilocybin.

There is no shit quite as insane as the one after a perfect weekend, I can assure you that.

fast and bulbous

now that is the definition of a shitpost

I remember listening to this album when I first discovered Sup Forums and thinking it was trash. I'm listening to it again for the first time in a while, and now it actually sounds alright ???

Op here. It sounds "bad" but it really doesn't and I know this because I have a bunch of the songs stuck in my head and I wanna listen to them again all of the time. I'm being serious, but it is hard to explain.

Exact same thing happened to me

I can't into his vocals. Everything else is tolerable

Well, you're right, that's your shitty opinion.
>hurrr i dont liek thing
>therefore EVERYONE SHOULD HATE IT LIKE ME!

>Trout Mask Replica
>It's a Carp mask

fast and bulbous

This.

Shiposting aside, how did you guys into TMR? For me I was simply just interested by the work and listened to it every day as I walked home, and eventually songs like Ella Guru and Moonlight on Vermont started to grow on me. The rest of the album just sorta grew too after a while, when all the rhythms and riffs became familiar enough to me so I could follow them without getting tripped up or confused.

I remember when I only had one earbud in and Moonlight on Vermont came on, and I realized the intro had 2 guitars. I played the intro with only the left ear in, and then the right, and then listened to the way the guitars trade off with each other and it all just made sense. This was actually the moment the album clicked for me, I remember it specifically.

I watched the Vox review the other day, and a comment said "Fuck this academic bullshit, just listen to this on acid and it helps it come together."
Anyone have any experience with this?

Hot Rats is better.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Trout Mask Replica. The genius is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of musical theory most of the harmonies will go over a typical listener's head. There’s also Captain Beefheart's surrealist outlook, which is deftly woven into his lyrics- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Dada literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Trout Mask Replica truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Captain Beefheart’s existential catchphrase “Fast and Bulbous!” which itself is a cryptic reference to copulation. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Captain Beefheart’s genius wit unfolds itself on their Crosleys. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Trout Mask Replica tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

bump

>BBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

Very creative approach to music where each part of it is very much syncopated from the other parts. It works thanks to sticking to simple/common harmonic progressions, isolated melodies made of easy to follow bluesy licks only a couple measures long at most (though always on the higher end of a guitar unlike most rock music), and a mixing approach that pushed the vocals above the rest of the music which makes it easier to latch onto. The vocal's extra gruff sound that sings a pretty high range of notes along with the weird lyrics kinda fits the album really well, too. Only problem with the album is that it's too damn long with a bunch of filler; quite a few tracks that kinda take a similar approach to the syncopation. Kinda why the standouts are either the more different sounding takes on syncopation (Frownland, Ella Guru) or easy listens (Moonlight, Veteran's Day Poppy)

THE

Unironically this.
Fuck off.

accurate assessment of TMR

also an accurate assessment of TMR

>all these people on Sup Forums who actually can't deal with TMR

Holy shit this board has been completely overrun by plebs, just unbelievable. Get some taste dumbfucks.

im neo-mu and i second this

Dropped.

Remember before Reddit came here and the album of discussion was always ITAOTS?

Now Reddits here, it's this album that's popping their cherries so it seems

Crucify me now bit ch reaper, whatevah