What's your favorite film that you don't see discussed often on Sup Forums. Picrelated is mine...

What's your favorite film that you don't see discussed often on Sup Forums. Picrelated is mine, the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3fw8oNps1qQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

which movie?

Despite being famous as fuck in world cinema, Bergman is rarely discussed on here, hes my favorite director. For some reason it's always Tarkovsky that gets representative exposure for the 'arthouse' foreign directors crowd.

The music too. Probably my favourite soundtrack along with Preisner's own "Bleu"

picrelated my family, picrelated

O shit forgot to list a kino. Prob Hour of the Wolf or Cries and Whispers

Iranian cinema in general desu

the most beautiful cinematography I've ever seen is in pic related

Bava was the ultimate master of shooting indoor scenes

Anything Angelopoulos.

I really like this film. It's a good comedy and Tatum o neal acting in this film is really good for a child.

Also early Peter Bogdanovich films in general.

That's my favorite movie too user ;_;

TOP TIER TITS IN THIS KEKLOWSKI FLICK 2BH

I remember a thread last month, and it gets mentioned every once in awhile when Fassbender or an Assassin's Creed thread comes up, but otherwise it's flown under the radar.

Top tier shit, really made use of it's medium rather than just being a stage production with multiple camera angles. Jed Kurzel's score ties the emotion together and I definitey preferred Justin's character arc for the titular character than the original script.

The only problem is that the script is butchered and many of the play's best bits are lost. The visuals are excellent, though.

top stuff

Wes Anderson owes a lot to this movie imo

Pretty much.

I can see a lot of influence from Bogdanovich and Hal Ashby in Wes's films.

Mizoguchi doesn't get enough love imo, picrelated especially (sansho the bailiff).

Also Onibaba, but that's Naruse

>Also Onibaba, but that's Naruse

Nope, Shindo

Victor Erice's three films, love them.

I love Spirit of the Beehive, are the others as good?

Wild Tales
The Imposter
Kill List
Witness for the Prosecution
Polytechnique
ANYTHING from Sidney Lumet (excluding 12 Angry Men)

All underappreciated here.

>Wild Tales
That movie was pretty good and remind me a lot of a much tame version of Tales from the crypt.

Though the last story could have been so much better.

American Psycho.

You just can't get a discussion going here because dubsfags just jump into any thread that has a picture of Bateman and start shitposting.

Probably Cleo de 5 a 7, great catharsis and exploration of a character. Good cinematography and score too

Late 50s, early 60s Europe looks so comfy

This. Best Robin Hood movie ever done.

>unironically liking this piece of shit

It's been getting some love here lately, don't know if it's the same poster though.

>Also Onibaba, but that's Naruse

w
e
w

I

Woman in the Dunes.
I honestly don't think I've ever seen it mentioned here before.
It's a great fucking movie.

how long have you been on Sup Forums?
a day or two?

Never saw the whole movie but the book was interesting

The part with the fucking doll after she "dies" is too fucking creepy, I've never been able to get past it. Colors trilogy was alright.

This is just a shitty style over substance adaptation to something that's been adapted 5 billion times and everyone knows. It's like a 2010s version of Romeo + Juliet and no that's not a compliment. There are way better underrated literature and even Shakespeare adaptations.

These are pretty good. Although you faggots have to stop using criterion for all your recs man it's really obvious.

>that shitty opinion about one of the best films of 2015 and R+J
>that pathetically condescending and ignorant diss at Criterion
Kill yourself, pleb hipster

I've hardly ever seen influential classics discussed over the miserable years I've posted on Sup Forums.
Pic related: did you know the character Paparazzo, a celebrity photographer, is cited as the origin of the word "paparazzi"?
And I still don't know why Steiner did what he did.

I've cried so much with this, one of my all time favorites.
The Steiner scene just breaks me, though my favorite scene is the castle/ghost hunting sequence, I think the way Fellini uses light evokes some sort of mysticism in the atmosphere and works perfectly with everything you're seeing.

And I've seen it being discussed a lot here btw.

I teared up at him pleading for his father to stay. But the sequence following Steiner's death is especially haunting. You don't notice it immediately, but then it strikes you that his hair is greyed, that he's aged. However, out on the beach, when the young waitress he met earlier beckons to him, she strikes you as young as ever.
>And I've seen it being discussed a lot here btw
Yeah, I'm sure I can dig through the archive to see what's been said in the odd thread here and there. But I mean classics and film in general, compared to the general spew in the catalog.

i love Peter Greenaway. great movie, even if Finney gets a bit grating by the end. his comeuppance was magnificent, though.

Its a little bit to long for its own good but still it's a pretty good romance-comedy film.

>However, out on the beach, when the young waitress he met earlier beckons to him, she strikes you as young as ever.
That's great user, thanks for that.

I have to watch the Blu Ray soon, must be amazing.

Absolute kino.

Coherence

>I have to watch the Blu Ray soon
It's a remaster, and they digitally fixed many parts of the video, as the film was damaged. Keep that in mind

>that pathetically condescending and ignorant diss at Criterion
ahahaha

Dunno about favourite, but its a fantastic film that is never discussed.

I know is really based but i love ir

lol

y u laughin

you see any other Welles? Touch of Evil and Chimes at Midnight are pretty wicked

HHHHHHHNNNNGGGGG

>that color palette
>that soundtrack
>the aethereal atmosphere
GOAT movie to be honest and it's also my favorite, but I've seen it here quite often and on the letterboxd generals it has almost a cult

>pic related
my choice, Italian cinema doesn't get the attention it deserves in this board

borefest

>borefest
no u

Charlie Kaufman tier philosophy

Is existentialism bad now? Sorry, I don't keep up with the memes.

top kino op

semi-related, this one gets mentioned from time to time but never really discussed

My fucking nigga that movie is so good.

Kieslowski is a underrated master director

The one about Thou Shall Not Take The Lord's Name In Vain is so fucking next level. I really need to watch all of them some day.

>tfw too film literate for run-of-the-mill Sup Forums discussion
>tfw not film literate enough for the rare in-depth Sup Forums discussion
>tfw can't find a community with the right balance for where I am right now

I absolutely love this and everything else I've seen from Kaurismaki.

You need to read more critic reviews and listen to more documentaries/roundtable discussions like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=3fw8oNps1qQ

Explore the plethora of 1920's films to see cinema at its maximum artistry.

>Although you faggots have to stop using criterion for all your recs man it's really obvious.
this so much lmao

Ok then niggers it's not my fault criterion has many god tier films

For All Mankind

All of them because Sup Forums only talks about capeshit and presidential elections.

George Cukor

This is actually the best thread on Sup Forums right now and it's not even good.

bump

It would be insulting if you just picked whatever Criterion put out. There are so many films not under the Criterion label you're missing. Particularly prolific musicals, historical epics, classic horror/creature feauture, and of course much of early silent era. For example, Forbidden Planet isn't under Criterion. Neither are any of Woody Allen's movies

I saw this last week and it's instantly top 5 for me. I still can't fully flesh out my opinion on why it's so good but I really empathized with beverly :(

That's a big bear

yeah, I like f for fake too, but citizen gets me, Im not sure why.

Have you seen The Third Man? That's my favorite movie Welles is in.

Haven't seen this one. I do think that Billy Wilders work should be more discussed. Sunset Boulevard is good, but Double Indemnity and Ace in the Hole are some fantastic kinos.

My favourite movie about people dealing with the aftermath of a tragedy.

Fish Tank

>caring about where someone got a recommendation from
Kill yourself, you pretentious try-hard.

So you're suggesting him to adopt other people's opinions as his own?

Someone explain Rivette to me.

>So you're suggesting him to adopt other people's opinions as his own?
No, I'm suggesting he enlighten himself by those more educated. And besides. Simply, watching Criterion movies or those off some best list isn't going to teach him anything if he doesn't know why something is revered or why directors make certain decisions.

A Short Film about Killing was beautiful

What should i watch tonight?

>kwaidan
>in the mood for love
>solaris
>high and low
>la dolce vita
>woman in the dunes

Pic related, and the other Borderline movies. 2subtle4murrica.

no, I will put it in my list. I kinda miss well crafted movies like Orson welles ones, maybe it's because Im getting older but I much more about nice plots and smooth filming than hipster or artsy shit like when I was younger. Latelly I begin to like a lot Adrien Lyne, Kieslowski or even Fincher more than I like to admit.

that movie is crushing

then you would really love the third man

Looks really interesting. Thanks.

Life's a bitch and then you die.

In the mood for love

My mom's new gf loves kieslowski especially blue, red, and a short film about love. I don't know what my mom sees in her.

I've never seen real discussion on bleak extinctionist late silent film or depressive isolationist italian neorealism. I've clicked every thread that is mildly film related for about 8 years. Nobody cares and I guess I'll just stop trying.

How long has your mom been out? Was she already out when you were born?

My mom is a repressed lesbian/bisexual who gets really upset at the notion of her liking women (although I've never asked/told her she was gay, there have been situations where for example I'd use her computer and accidentally stumble upon lots of pictures of naked women (softcore stuff) and she'd notice and before I would be able to say anything she'd go on a long rant about how she's definitely 100% straight and how lesbians are horrible people and how she's definitely not one) and she's been single for years now (saying that she doesn't know a man she's interested in).

final dance-off with mom