Sup Forums help, I need to write a paper on an important American female musician, who should I choose?

Sup Forums help, I need to write a paper on an important American female musician, who should I choose?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ySYRI4wXUpo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Patti Smith

dorothy ashby might be good, simply because of her unique style and the fact that it's less likely another person will have written about her too

Joni Mitchell.

What the hell are you asking this question for when your pic related is already perfect? Can it not be African American?

That one black chick from the early 20th century that revolutionized swing or some shit and got all the credit stolen and did a shit ton of drugs until she died

I know that sounds really vague but if anyone knows who i'm talking about that would be the perfect/best topic.

Aretha is kinda cliched, probably will do it on her, but I do like fp's answer

Beyonce

Diana Ross was good with the Supremes. Nico is always good for memes

I wanted to do Nico but she's German

Nicki Minaj - she is accepted among men, in a male dominated industry

Kira Roessler

Alice Coltrane, boi.

Ella Fitzgerald
Liz Phair
Courtney Love
Dolly Parton
Billie Holiday
Carole King

Nina Simone

Joni is Canadian iirc

Nina Simone

This

youtube.com/watch?v=ySYRI4wXUpo

Moe Tucker

Lauryn Hill, talk about her success in a male-dominated genre

Janis Joplin maybe

Who do journalists like namedropping this bitch so much?

Everytime they need an example of a woman figure in music they always go to her.

Billie Holiday

Does Josephine Baker count even though she later renounced her US citizenship?

Both her grandparents were former slaves, she lived in poverty for most of her childhood, got married twice before she was even 16, was making a living while street dancing, got attention, started playing in clubs, moved to Paris and got famous there for her erotic dancing. She then got even more recognition for her singing. When WWII hit she was recruited by the French intelligence agency as a spy and helped the French resistance during the war.

>She was also known for aiding the French Resistance during World War II. After the war, she was awarded the Croix de guerre by the French military, and was named a Chevalier of the Légion d'honneur by General Charles de Gaulle.

Those are serious decorations over there.
Pretty interesting life overall.

Lisa Germano would make for an interesting paper.

probably political, but she is still legit politics aside. she has a great catalogue of jazz, pop standards and blues recordings.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe: the mother of rock and roll!

Jarboe