Film Making General

You talk kino but do you walk kino?

Thread for upcoming film-makers. Got a script? Made a film? Need to colloborate? Come here.

Helpful resources:

>Tutorials and Film Basics

learnaboutfilm.com/
nofilmschool.com/
youtube.com/user/filmriot
youtube.com/user/curtisjudd
youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting
filmmakingessays.tumblr.com/

>Free Screenwriting Software

fountain.io/faq
writerduet.com/
celtx.com/index.html
storywriter.amazon.com/
story.adobe.com/

>Advanced VFX

videocopilot.net/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UqvvojrmmW0
youtube.com/watch?v=EUtc3SAtiLE
youtube.com/watch?v=bjKxVKXuTVc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Favorite threads on Sup Forums

Gonna grab some dinner and them come back. Until then, have a bump.

I made this piece of shit as self-practice a few weeks back. Trying to refine my skills by making smaller stuff on my own.
youtu.be/UqvvojrmmW0

Writing my first full-lenght movie.
I've written about half of the storyline and i only have 35 pages of materal. I guess 70pages is not gonna cut it?
What do.
Also i dont know at all if my dialogue is good.

HAve you made a beat sheet yet?

Never start a screenplay without a beat sheet bruh

Local film festival being held in the state it's in august think I have enough time to make something

Just finished up a short film for university. I didn't have much of a budget so went retro 80's and tried to work within that style.

youtube.com/watch?v=EUtc3SAtiLE

There are no rules for a first draft. ANYTHING that gets your ideas on paper is good. Beginning is the hardest part, and I find that the outlining process can just become an excuse to never write the script

Not bad. Keep practicing.

I know what notes to 'hit' but i've not really made one. I guess i could fill one just for own fun i guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=bjKxVKXuTVc

Watch this. Internalize it. Let the master tell you how it is.

What are the first feelings of this?

Its great user. I like it

Could there be a market for this sort of reality show?

Go to a homeless shelter, find an attractive one and offer to pay $50 for every hour she can keep from pooping, on cam the whole time ofc. Then when she finally says she has to go poop, offer her $1000 to poop her pants in front of a live studio audience. Seems like this could be riveting television, plus it's charity.

Not a filmmaker but an aspiring actor interested in doing microbudget indie/student film stuff. I have some theater experience. Aside from AA, Craigslist, and theater/improv circles, is there anywhere you guys would recommend I try networking or look for casting calls/postings? It should go without saying that I'm basically willing to work for bus fare, if not entirely for free.

Thanks fellow film bro. I know neo 80s is in vogue right now but I just felt it would fit for having a low budget. Rather than work against not having much money I decided to work with it and have that, dare I say it, A E S T H E T I C.

Where do you live?

Without context it's hard to comment on story. Style, however, could use some pointers, I guess

The phrase "Show, not Tell" is crucial in screenplays and visual media. It seems like this is a long string of dialogue with nothing to break it up. Even though I'm sure the actors would be performing some physical business when the cameras roll, it might be good advice to include some here, rather than a page of sheer dialogue.

Avoid (Pause) to denote a pause. Use "Beat." For instance, change it to

JOHN
Okay. Okay.

A beat.

JOHN (CONT'D)
Follow the money.

Next, the line "Alex is lost in his own confusion" is telling, not showing. Try something like "Alex blinks and furls his lip. He frowns. John continues."

Next, the "He is just improvising now" is kind of confusing. Is the actor improvising? The character? If the former is the case, that's not for the screenwriter to decide (even if you go on to direct). If the latter, it's another case of telling, not showing. Describe and show us that he's making it up as he goes.

Just some finer points of screenwriting, I guess. At the end of the day, it's 50% story, and 50% style if you want a script to be read or picked up or understood. If it's a passion project you and some friends will be shooting, then fuck all - get it down and don't worry about it.

If you involve anyone else, or want it read, or produced, or whatever, you gotta tighten up some things.

Keep going though. You're already doing better than most scripts I've read.

Do you have anything to show that you've acted in? A reel? I'd love to see your skills.

I like it.

You've got some great qts at your school.

Thanks a lot mate!
I've actually done the more 'showing' style of writing, but i got told that actors hate to get so tightly directed. Thats why i've used a more "novel" style to explain the situations.

I feel that dialogue is my weakest suit.

Chicago suburbs currently but I plan to move to the city in the next 3-4 months tops.

Unfortunately no, I have not done anything on-camera, all of my experience is from classes and community theater.

Indeed, networking goes a loooong way. Qts like being in front of a camera.

Is having a family member in the industry enough? He's got a good reputation, but we don't have the best relationship. I'm planning on going to a CSU to study film as well, but do I have a shot? Looking to do production sound.

Nepotism is the name of the game. Study, network and work on your craft. Keep it up and you can get into the industry...

>Chicago suburbs

No shit? Not either of those anons but I'm in the SW burbs and moving to NW Chi in a month or two. Trying to direct and it's highly likely I'm gonna need actors going into next year.

How do you all let ideas in your screenwriting bud? I mean, is there something more than other things you take interest in focusing early in the writing stages? I don't know if I should focus on creating an atmosphere first before characters in my shitty story, or vice versa. Also, if there's any other aspects to give attention to early on before it's too late, what will those potentially be?

Early on I think of characters and setting. This makes the foundation of the story. I don't really deal with plot so early on in the process, but I always have a general idea of how I want my events to unfold. Then when I get to writing a basic outline I simply ask myself "what if?" a lot and try to answer that question as creatively as possible.

I think the most important thing to consider early on is your character and the levels of conflict. Try not to get preoccupied so much about novel ideas, or high concepts. That will naturally come out if you let things happen.