He thinks that learning music theory will make him a worse musician

>he thinks that learning music theory will make him a worse musician

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ggxJUQhLzSo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it will

>t. brainlet

No one believes this except teenagers, but I guess I know where we are

Well it *could* if people find their knowledge daunting and hard to use and thus discouraging but otherwise I agree.

underaged

It's only a theory though, it was never proved

Noel Gallagher and Kurt Cobain didn't need music theory to write Nevermind, Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory and they're some of the best selling selling albums of the 90s.

It's always why they're shit

And they would have been good albums if they knew the first thing about music theory

Everyone uses theory whether consciously or not, except for atonal .

Atonal also does

Robert Wyatt didnt know music theory

>he thinks that learning music theory will make him a better musician

Ever since I learned music theory my boss gave me a promotion, I had better sex and I lost 20 pounds!

yeah it actually will

Why should I bother learning music theory if I can already use it?

t. brainlet

t. afraid of learning

millions upon millions of albums sold, genre defining albums.

It's not as simple as wanting to be "primitive" versus wanting to be "educated", over-indulging into any one mode of creation is when flaws begin to arise (and is generally inevitable), but being comfortable with a lack of control with "primitive" (which therefore limits your potential for growth) or developing a fixation of order and correctness (so to speak) with "educated" are both ways that staying too honed on with a singular musical blueprint can hold you back.
And speaking as a musician music theory fucking was essential but I never took onto it in a significant academic sense and have never been skilled at my instruments due to lack of practice in my formative years or maybe I've just been retarded all this time, but I try to make the ways I compensate for these shortcomings as things that ultimately work in my benefit. I used to worry about having the right fingerings and doing everything the "right" way and I've eventually stopped giving a fuck and working with as much of my intuition as I can with my stunted skillset, and despite my flaws I at least have something that stands me out in a way that is potentially useful if utilized for the right thing.

This. Not knowing music notation doesn't mean a damn thing. Simply knowing chords, etc is enough music theory for some folks. Gallagher and Cobain used theory

Got to learn the rules (music theory) in order to break them. We can't all be prodigies, but rearranging other's songs does help.

Yeah that's actually a really good way to put it

Cobain was full of shit too. "I don't even know what a minor chord is". Bullshit. Anyone playing guitar for 6 months figures out what a minor chord is.

This also. If you can play the "right" notes you have a sense of theory. I don't delve too much into scales but I'm aware of what a major scale is. I'm sure Jimi Hendrix knew as well, he might not have said "this is a major scale" when he played it, but he knew which notes to play to produce a "happy" sound.

I'd only need to learn if I was stupid in the first place.
GG NO RE motherfucker

>He doesn't belive in music theory

Music theory is descriptive and not prescriptive. Music theory will happen any way you play it. And while they didn't need to know, they had a good ear for music in general and got really involved, always asking themselves if it sounds good. Music theory is like linguistics, not the strict rules of music. It just describes what already exists. And if you can name it, it can become familiar.

youtube.com/watch?v=ggxJUQhLzSo

musicians that know a lot of theory arent good because of the info, but the practice that comes along with it

lel music is only a theory like evolution. not a fact like the bible.

Why Noodle be appropriating Jew culture with her hands?

>literally every successful and decent artist used music theory
>never proven