Why are Latin countries so shit at learning English...

Why are Latin countries so shit at learning English? I can justify Slavic countries because the vocabulary is so different, but English has been so cucked by French it's almost a romance language with Germanic grammar and pronunciation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Netherlands
ef.edu/epi/
sciencenordic.com/english-scandinavian-language
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Germanic
haha no

Because no

el helANO

There's something called "not being a sissy cuck", you won't get it if I explain it to you, believe me.

Knowledge is usefull at times

>UK
>95% of people can hold a conversation in English
What in the actual fuck?

>second lowest in the EU
>I'm bilingual, I speak Catalan

Dutch people hate dubbed tv programs and games because it looks fake.
Germans, Frenchies, Spaniards and Italians love dubbed programs.
So we learn by immersion while they don't.

For a Dutch person German only takes 20% of the effort of another person. And English only takes like 35% of the effort. Due to the closeness of the language.

And knowing so many languages helps us learn other languages like French as well.

Where does this Jakub Marian guy get all this data?
Also, why is Croatia never included in these? They EU now

It's better to be the only guy speaking English in a 3 kilometers area, so that all the international qts there for tourism have to ask you for directions

>Germanic grammar
English grammar is closer to Italian than to German

Why are Austrians so perfect?

Dumbest shit I've ever read on this board

maybe it includes babies who can't speak yet

fuck off

guaranteed replies

If that were true than it would be 0%

>"""""""""""""""""""""countries"""""""""""""""""""""" below 80%

>"""""""""""""""""""""countries"""""""""""""""""""""" above 40%

>babies represent 100% of the population

The British only learn one foreign language.
So they have some explaining to do if they do worse than our fourth language.

based dutch

we learn two foreign languages in school

Which languages are that?

French and Welsh

French and Spanish?

Urdu and Hindi

>poland

every polish person I've met IRL can speak fluent english

>Welsh
>foreign
>in the UK

well it's foreign for about 99% of the UK anyway

You know we also have meme languages like Frisian, Limburgish and Dutch low saxon (and on our Islands papiamento and English). Which are spoken more often than Welsh.

That's like saying catalan is foreign in Spain. I get that it's very rare but by definition it's an autochthonous language.

cool story bro

>nigger from shithole not understanding bad joke

Unlike Irish and Welsh our minority languages are actually spoken. By more than 3 million people.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_Netherlands

Groovy

riveting

English grammar is closest to the Northern Germanic languages. There's actually a theory in vogue right now that English descends from Old Norse rather than from Ingvaeonic.

We actually just say "What?" until they switch to proper Dutch.

Oh so they know it. Are there any isolated mensch who know not the language of the queen?

What? Could you speak more clearly? You need to articulate better because I cant understand what your saying.

Che?

Dutch people tend to stick to their home region, so they can just use their language locally.
Everyone speaks Dutch so you are expected to speak it when interacting with people from other regions.
But only a minority of the population actually speaks 'standard' Dutch. So speaking with a dialect is very common.

Different regional and city languages have turned into Dutch dialects and that will surely happen to the remaining languages as well. They will slowly lose all unique features.

I find it hard to believe 1 in 5 people here can speak French. I'd be shocked if it were as high as 10% honestly; people here can't speak other languages.

easymode if your native language belongs to the indo-european family

>only 90%

Ah, yea, "chances for France", they said...

There are always whole crowds of people obsessed with France that secretly do know the language.

>FUCKING LUXEMBOURG IS BETTER AT FRENCH THAN FRANCE ITSELF

wow

Also
>Britain better at French than every Latin country

>France 39%

Don't believe this for a second.

>UK
>95%

We're really not better, we just have to take it at school. A lot of people are probably overestimating their competence.

Don't Spaniards choose to learn French or Catalan over English though?

>42%

delet

>when the only people learning your language are gypsies

I'm sure at some point Spaniards just look at a beginning Italian learning book and just wing it on their vacations.

>Denmark
>47%

HAHAHA
whelp. i guess those maps are bullshit

DO I HAVE TO MOVE TO ITTALY

You silly thick twat.

It might as well be foreign. I mean, have you even seen Welsh written or spoken?

only spaniards that are older than 50 years old

>By more than 3 million people.
If you combine all of them. Are you deliberately misrepresenting the numbers? The Celtic languages have that many speakers too, if you combine them.

> but English has been so cucked by French it's almost a romance language with Germanic grammar and pronunciation.

It's why we don"t need to learn it

We cucked it so much that we understand it without learning it

you study, dont learn.

Italy would be 1-2% as well if not for Südtirol

still better success rate than anglos "studying" any language
and keep in mind that a lot of the population in europe studied when french was considered the lingua franca. people under 30 have a way higher percentage of proficiency in english.

immigrants duh

>yfw you realize most of Sup Forums has shitty google translate-tier english

>19%
That's optimistic

There's also the fact that Brits will try to make an effort to speak a few French phrases and that

It's a never-ending cycle, we learn a bit of French because we think you don't know that much English, then you learn a bit of English because you know we're useless

More seriously, your influence is stong in France, although it is not seen as prestigious to know English, it is still seen as very useful for work

>Romania
Why? Is this because theirs is a romance language too?

>95 percent
Get rid of your muzzies Britland

they probably study both english and italian

do they watch dubbed Tv shows? How do they even browse websites or communicate in video games

>mfw my country have more english schools than english speakers
I believe they're all lazy.

>Germans, Frenchies, Spaniards and Italians love dubbed programs.

what the fuck are you talking about

>what the fuck are you talking about
the truth

Same here.

Which is why I think OP's map is bullshit for measuring the number of people able to speak it. This is the one I usually use, which has correlated fairly well to my experience when travelling:
ef.edu/epi/

>Germans, Frenchies, Spaniards and Italians love dubbed programs.
It's really more that people don't have a choice here.
Movies have always been dubbed on TV and in cinema so people didn't know anything else, it is only in recent times with the rise of the internet that people are starting to appreciate original voice acting and realize that it's kind of shitty to have the same 12 German voice actors narrate every single movie.
I'm at a point where dubbing annoys me so much I can't watch movies with normie Germans anymore

So why are Scandis so good at it, anyway? I kind of understand Portugal in that Portugal has had generally friendly relations with England for centuries, but is English so similar to Norse languages that they pick it up well or is it that Norse languages are so irrelevant on the world stage that they have more impetus to learn English than Frenchmen or Germans?

>Portugal has had generally friendly relations with England for centuries
It has nothing to do with it. Up until the 70's we all learned French.

Portugal's reasons for having a high index are:
- fairly decent tradition of learning languages (it was considered a very useful thing for trading, and for talking to foreign nobility for centuries)
- no dubbing unless it's cartoons/documentaries/shows meant to be watched by kids
- a fairly phonetically complex language that doesn't offer hard accent barriers to be understandable

People older than 40 here will all have some grasp of French, people under 40 usually have some grasp of English, with people up to 30 all being able to hold a basic conversation.

Our biggest drawback is that old people take a while to die, so our statistics are always skewed, since we have a very very old average age.

how the fuck is mexico that low

sciencenordic.com/english-scandinavian-language

>france 90%
>Luxembourg 96%

>GB
>not 100%

The older people here(usually 40+) are shit at English

No it's because they flood our country by million every year

Why would they want to ?

Romance languages are so much better and nicer sounding than English.

we wuz romans and shiiiiiiit