Why does he trigger jazz fans so much?

Why does he trigger jazz fans so much?

He doesn't trigger anyone, it's just his shit fanbase.

Well let's imagine a hypothetical situation for a minute.

Imagine your favorite genre eventually loses almost all popularity and relevance but you still love it. It has a small but dedicated fanbase and there are still a lot of good artists, but almost nobody cares about them. Then lets imagine some kid gets somewhat famous for doing features on popular artist's albums and then decides to release an album in your favorite genre. Wow! It's a huge hit and everybody's talking about it. The problem is that the album is insultingly bad, almost a parody of your favorite genre clearly meant to appeal to people who have never listened to good music from your favorite genre.

Ok, that's a bit annoying but not a big deal right? Hey maybe people will start looking deeper into your favorite genre? Nope, it turns out the vast majority of people listen to this one album by this sad excuse for an "artist" and talk about him as though he is saving the genre and is one of the all-time greats. You go on your favorite music board and anytime your favorite genre is brought up, someone is there ready to talk about how he is saving the genre.

So you try to politely point out what you find lacking in his music and explain in detail why you find it below average. You even list off better artists for people to look into! But it doesn't matter because as soon as you say the slightest negative thing about him, everybody labels you a "genre autist" and an "elitist" and the discussion stops there.

You don't think you would find that the least bit frustrating?

because the only reason his fans "love" his music is because he played on tpab

Holy fucking shit dude

Because he's simultaneously a mediocre jazz musician and the most popular jazz musician.

It ain't rocket surgery.

Because his solos are literally just scales with a single chromatic note thrown in the middle. He's freaking Bar Jazz band level

very nice get and pasta

>there are still a lot of good artists,

Like who?

>talk about him as though he is saving the genre and is one of the all-time greats

Source?

>You even list off better artists for people to look into!

Like who?

for what it's worth i started checking out good jazz after listening to the epic and then reading a thread like this

someone recommend a jazz album better than the epic released in the last 5 years.

damn

check jazz threads in the archive

>A lot of people at my school could play the Giant Steps saxophone solo, but they couldn't play the six notes of the blues scale of their life depended on it because they didn't have the strength or ability to do it. But all I did was practice that, and the style that I eventually fell into is more focused than people would actually imagine.

>Like who?
Gerald Clayton
Roy Hargrove
Micheal Brecker
Herbie Hancock
Rufus Reid
Corey Henry
Micheal Dees
Literally dozens more.

Anyone that likes Kamasi should just head directly to Pharoah Sanders

>Like who?
Matthew Shipp
Henry Threadgill
Chris Potter
Yosvany Terry
Craig Taborn
John Escreet
Ambrose Akinmusire
Steve Lehman
Alex Sipiagin
Mary Halvorson
Antonio Sanchez
David Binney
Tony Malaby

>Source?
Go to the RYM page for The Epic and glance through the reviews. In the first couple pages I found 5 or 6 that say something like "saving jazz" or "best jazz album since [date]". What's funny is a lot of them even say somewhere in the review "I don't listen to much jazz"

He's actually pretty good for a steely dan ripoff

He's a fat nigger lol

Steve Lehman- Mise en Abime
Rudresh Mahanthappa- Bird Calls
Chris Potter- Imaginary Cities
Henry Threadgill- Old Locks and Irregular Verbs
Vijay Iyer- Far From Over
David Binney- Anacapa
Dave Scott- Brooklyn Aura

this desu

>Bird Calls
literal meme album

Your only criticism of the album is that it's supposedly a "meme"?

imagine listening to jazz made in recent years

Let's not act like a Bird tribute is somehow groundbreaking or relevant

imagine listening to jazz

deconstruction =/= tribute

/thread

This. But replace jazz with idm and put aphex twin in

what the actual fuck is this supposed to mean

He's the Kenny G of our generation. Cheesy, commercial schlock. Jazz for Rapheads

This pasta should die in a fire.
Fairly sure Ron Carter, McCoy Tyner and Sonny Rollins are still going.

You guys are fucking weird. The Epic is too long but it's pretty much generic nu-fusion and not bad by a far cry. Kamasi isn't the most exciting saxophone player I've ever heard but he's certainly competent.
t. someone who actually plays jazz

He enjoys idm. Then one day a bunch of bandwagoning p4k/mudrones (%95 of Sup Forums) who don't know shit about idm claim aphex twin revolutionized the genre and this annoys him.

This. T b h I didn't even think the Epic was that bad. Kamasi is pretty much a garbage soloist but a few of the songs were enjoyable anyway.

But his fanbase is absolutely cancerous and unbearable. I really don't blame jazz fans for overreacting to the mostly undeserved hype and Kamasi's insane fans.

>claim aphex twin revolutionized the genre
did he not, thought? artificial intelligence and saw i came out in the same year, rdj is one of the originals

blame anthony fantano

He doesn't, his 20-year-old fans who have never actually listened to jazz do with their "best jazz album of all time" threads. It would be like kids making threads saying Samuel Andreyev is the greatest composer of all time.