>punk rock is not a real genre, just call it garage or rock n roll
>minimal synth>coldwave

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoYou
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>punk rock is not a real genre, just call it garage or rock n roll
I'm a punk fan and kinda feel this way

Jazz is wankery with purpose.
Progressive Rock is wankery for the sake of wankery. For the most part (talking King Crimson-esque Prog) is bullshit with no real sense of purpose. The stuff the Krauts were doing shits all over American and British Prog.
Still, in general Progressive Rock < Jazz, there's too much substance in Jazz, while most of the substance in Prog is just muh time signatures or muh fantasy

How the fuck punk is not a real genre?

2 of those are just regular opinions and the other is just being retarded

>doesn't consider punk a genre
>considers """minimal synth""" and """coldwave""" genres
oh boy

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are the best rock band.
Trout Mask Replica is shit and you should feel bad if you like it.

The Beatles and The Who are more punk than seminal "punk" band The Clash.

Punk is a bad label for a certain era kind of like "alternative", "grunge", and "indie".

Thats not controversial its normie

nothing in this post is true

GG Allin is unironically great and people who dislike him as an artist usually:

>are too banal for fun
>fall for le poo poo man can't make good music maymay
>haven't given any of his material a fair listen
>can't separate the artist from the music

>The Beatles and The Who are more punk than seminal "punk" band The Clash.
how so?

>Punk is a bad label for a certain era kind of like "alternative", "grunge", and "indie".
you can say that only about grunge

Except for all of it.

There are more straightforward rock songs by The Beatles and The Who (I Saw Her Standing There, I Can't Explain, etc) than The Clash. Reggae pop is not punk rock. New wave is not punk rock.

>you can say that only about grunge

Ok, then where do you draw the line for alternative and indie? Give me example bands.

>he thinks punk rock = straightforward rock
>he thinks having a couple of reggae songs disqualifies a band from peing punk
>he thinks new wave and punk are mutually exclusive

ska is a subgenre of punk and you're right new wave is not punk rock

you said that they're labels for a certain era, you can say that about grunge cause we only call those 90s bands grunge. But you can't say it about alternative and indie

the stooges sound a whole lot different from the beatles

>he thinks punk rock =/= straightforward rock
>The Clash only recorded a couple of reggae songs
>he thinks new wave and punk are the same thing

>he thinks punk rock =/= straightforward rock
objectively true
>The Clash only recorded a couple of reggae songs
definitely not enough to define the band
>he thinks new wave and punk are the same thing
I literally never implied anything remotely close to that
try again

What about all the butthurt "punks" that sperg out whenever Green Day and Blink 182 are even mentioned?

van halen and matchbox twenty have really simple songs that aren't punk at all

Oh, so "punk" is a fashion sense. Nothing to do with music.

I also literally never implied that but whatever makes you think you're right

Think in the context of where we are.

what about them?

>Van Halen is simple rock

>reading comprehension

>gets btfo when his beloved teeny bopper bands get rightfully mocked
>le u r le spurging out may may!

Christ, this is almost as autistic as believing The Clash are worth mentioning.

it is really straightforward to say the least

What is "punk rock"? How is it different from "alternative rock" and different from "indie rock"?

Note: it has already been established that the time period in which these types of music were popularized is irrelevant.

who mocked anything

>Punk rock thread
>The Clash are irrelevant

>trying to articulate a cohesive thought

>Rooted in 1960s garage rock and other forms of what is now known as "proto-punk" music, punk rock bands rejected perceived excesses of mainstream 1970s rock. Punk bands typically produced short or fast-paced songs, with hard-edged melodies and singing styles, stripped-down instrumentation, and often political, anti-establishment lyrics. Punk embraces a DIY ethic; many bands self-produce recordings and distribute them through informal channels.

But is it simple? More simple than say The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, or The Germs?

Why didn't you just post the wikipedia links you retarded faggot?

yeah some songs

green day and blink are pop punk, another subgenre of punk that you can say the descendents kind of started.

>What about all the butthurt "punks" that sperg out
thats because they got mainstream and started making bad music

Why didn't you just post the retarded faggot you retarded faggot.

>being this mad over nothing
glad you realized you're wrong

Punk is 100% utter dogshit. The Clash are not dogshit. Therefore, The Clash are not punk. Q.E.D.

>posting wikipedia articles
>learning nothing

Believe what you want man.

>literally no argument against it
>still thinks he's right
just move on

Bringing It All Back Home is a good album but that's due to the acoustic songs, the electric side (bar Subterranean Homesick Blues and Love Minus Zero) is sub-par, partly due to Dylan's singing partly due to the vague bluesy noodling composition all the songs share.

Similarly, I can't see why people love the Basement Tapes so much. I can understand the voyeuristic aspect and tapping into a moment of pure experimentation and bliss, but the songs all sound throwaway as fuck and Dylan's voice doesn't jive well with The Band's instrumentation.

Their Satanic Majesties Request is much better than Sgt Peppers

Fela Kuti is an overrated hack, his songs are long, boring and his singing/playing horrendous. There are hundreds of African artists that deserve far more acclaim and attention than him.

>being so utterly entry level you actually believe The Clash are anything more than the Sum 41 of their time!

Try harder

Fela is overrated by honkies who don’t dig into African music, but he’s still amazing so take that back

I'm not even trying, you pathetic middle school punk tier numale.

The Clash are objectively one of the shittest bands to ever get popular off watering down better bands efforts. They are on par with Nickleback for sheer faggotry.

>I'm not even trying
It shows, hence try harder.
I don't think I've heard a track of his I like. A lot of it is just really dull polyrhythms with no life to it.

read like a book

cringe

>worthless numale thinks le try harder is going to deflect how rekt he is!

Kurt Cobain was killed by a thug from the underground drug circuit.

we get it with the lingo.

Agreed, Courtney Love did kill him.

>i-i-im not r-r-r-rekt guiz

Stop crying and defend your stupidity and shit taste like a man.

>didnt check IP and realize im not who you're arguing with
congrats

Why would I waste my time checking your IP, cunt? More to the point, why would you waste yours defending numales?

But he wasn't defending you

it takes 2 seconds if you know how, all the Sup Forums terms I'd think you could. I do thinks there 5 or 6 pop punk albums that do a specific anxious aesthetic really well offspring-smash is an example

Well, this thread went to shit, sorry OP.

Might as well stake my claim
>Kendrick has an irritating voice and isn't charismatic, virtuosic, or interesting enough to be as acclaimed as he is
>XXXTentacion had a lot of potential if he stuck with his angle of edgy, lyrical, vaguely satanic blown out trap like his XXL stuff, at least as an interesting guilty pleasure
>Lil Uzi Vert seems like a moron but he's the only person who's made bubbly pop trap that I actually enjoy, and he seems like a fun guy to be around
>Foo Fighters are much worse than Nickelback and helped drive mainstream rock music into a downward spiral from which it has yet to recover
>Anthrax is fucking shit and doesn't deserve to be in the Big Four
>Blink-182 and Fall Out Boy are genuinely decent songwriters and write very effective and catchy pop music (similar to Uzi)

Remain In Light is the worst Talking Heads album

why did this thread devolve into petty fighting about retarded bullshit

>Controversial Opinions Thread

which website do you think you're on right now?

>sore loser

Jump up is a legitimately good sub genre of drum and bass.

Liquid DnB is what killed drum and bass, and people who stray from it are saving it

you're really desperate, aren't you

You're really that naive, arent you?

>t. projecting numale

>smash

Jesus...

Jump up is fucking awful. Liquid didn't kill drum n bass, it just solidified a massive aspect of it as safe, beige, middle class suburbia tier music.

What destroyed DnB is somewhere between paint by numbers neuro, Pendulum / Fresh / Ram, and the gash tramen reese overkill in the late 00's.

>maybe if i call him random things he'll think i'm somehow right
here's a last (You), i'll be waiting for mine since i know you'll reply

smash is on par with youth of today explain how its not

and 'projecting' is a no you the way that post used it

Jump up isn’t bad, as seen by turno, but the problem is oversaturation. Pendulum was a group that resulted in the death, but I put the blame on fresh. He fucked up once leaving BCUK. Look at dbridge and exit, which is an excellent label in my opinion

>considers 'coldwave' a genre but not punk rock
wew

>youth of today

Kek!

>triggered AND projecting!

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoYou
theyre an 80s hardcore/skate punk band

The blame lies somewhere between Hospital, Fresh, Dylan, and Andy C and bloody John B ruining their respective niches. Exit was great, but that whole disappear up our assholes moody scene didn't really help matters.

Thank fuck Dom stayed true.

Gr8 b8

Hospital has its ups and downs, but RAM and breakbeat kaos should be blamed. Creating the desire for liquid and having the gold standard of mediocrity. At least the brookes brothers album was amazing.

Too bad exit is (almost) dead, but they still release top notch stuff. Mark systems EP was incredible

I know who they are

dont like em?

Fair points. Heard about this project Tech Itch in engineering? Some unnamed 90's guy has returned the scene but they won't reveal who it is.

Never got into that era of US hardcore.

smash is more melodic but similar

Tech itch is back but in a non DnB form. Quite interesting. You ever hear of signal? Kids been pumping out some of the best produced DnB I’ve heard lately. Recently made a C&K track sound intense

Honestly punk fans are the least punk motherfuckers you'll ever come across. I've yet to see any pricks more judgy and preachy than those fools

>Kanye West > Bob Dylan

>Currents is Tame Impala's best album

>The Beatles have a deserved reputation in music history (controversial for Sup Forums at least)

>Bjork's best work is with the Cranberries

if theyre on Sup Forums sure

How fucking contrarian and out of touch are you to think that's bait?

I'm sure they were both huge hits in middle schools all over the world.

The speculation is it's someone like Facs or Decoder. I'll check out Signal.

Best album in their discog.

YOT's an 80s band totally different fanbase and how is that criticism?

>you're not allowed to judge all the shitty music people label punk

You really need to be quite autistic to not understand basic sarcasm.

why dont you like the album who cares about if kids like it

>Hardcore punk is contrived, and every song sounds the exact fucking same

>The early 80's was the best era in music history

>Death metal > Black metal

>Lo-fi Hip Hop is a legitimate music genre

>Vaporwave is still alive

>Seriously fuck hardcore punk