Jazz thread - Who's the best tenor?

Who's the best tenor ever? Prez? Hawk? Griffin? Sonny? Coltrane? Ayler? Brecker? Potter?

Also
What have you been listening to lately?
Jazz AOTY?
See any good live shows recently?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GcT3akLgD6U
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-binney/the-time-verses/
youtube.com/watch?v=0ZdlZ3y4QeM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

don't know havent don't know i don't leave the house

Been listening to pic related alot over the last week or so, along with alot of Keith Jarret's solo concerts. Especially his Paris & Vienna Concerts.
My vote is to Sonny.

Sonny Rollins had one of the richest tones. I don't think it makes sense to pick a "best" though

I've been listening to Nicholas Payton. His album from this year stretches out a lot of Afro-Cuban grooves and fuses a lot of electronic/hip hop stuff in as well

Who is the best tenor? Mobley.
I've been listening to a lot of Tom Jobim recently, fantastic pianist. Another one whose works I have been looking into is McCoy Tyner, he has some excellent stuff. And plenty of Wes Montgomery, actually.

I'm still thinking about Weather Report. I'm hitting a wall on Bill, Lennie is the man. John Etheridge?

I think best tone for me is Ben Webster, so warm and rich.

Overall though I have to go with Coltrane.

>listening to Jazz on the bus as it rains
too comf.

Do you have a favorite of his solo concerts?

Right, quick question - how many of you here into jazz can actually play it - and on which instruments? I'm thinking of picking up jazz bass, while I have a good knowledge of the bass, it's only been electric, fretted ones.

I've listened to most, except for his Japan Concert.
I enjoy almost all his solo concerts, but my absolute favourite would be Bremen and Lausanne. I bought the LP boxset last winter for £10 and listened to it non-stop for maybe a month.

I started playing jazz very young and only really got into listening as a teenager. So for me the listening part took little effort, I was almost forced into it.

You should totally learn jazz bass, even the older styles i.e. walking. It may not be suitable for hardcore gigs but its fine for education. Also ofc every fusion and funk tune uses electric

I'm more of a straightforward hard bop/modal kind of guy, but fair enough.

What a steal. I've never heard Bremen or Lausanne I'll have to check them out.

I can't get over 'Wow' so I'll provisionally go with Warne.

>Who's the best tenor ever?
Impossible to pick just one. How do you compare Coltrane to Prez? Potter to Ayler? It's even difficult to pick one for each style- swing, bebop, hard bop, etc.
>What have you been listening to lately?
Anything with David Kikoski
youtube.com/watch?v=GcT3akLgD6U
>Jazz AOTY?
Vijay Iyer- Far From Over
>See any good live shows recently?
no unfortunately

oops I'm not OP, just had that on from a thread on another board

Anyone else notice that David Binney commented on the page for his latest album to respond to JTG's review?

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/david-binney/the-time-verses/

Sonny, Trane, and Pharoah Sanders in no particular order are the best at Tenor. I'd put Ayler in their but mostly because of he's so interesting to listen to

Because I struggle with Chet

>Who's the best tenor ever?
Cant decide too hard to answer

>What have you been listening to lately?
I've been listening to a lot of Roy Ayers lately

Favorite Song: Roy Ayers Ubiquity youtube.com/watch?v=0ZdlZ3y4QeM

>Jazz AOTY?
Haven't listened to any new albums lately

>See any good live shows recently?
I have not been to any in awhile

I can play Jazz guitar and I'm learning how to play piano so hopefully, i can learn jazz piano

bump

what