Who is un-ironically the best vocalist in punk? and who is your favorite?

Who is un-ironically the best vocalist in punk? and who is your favorite?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dNrytt7D2Lo
youtube.com/watch?v=CZPc0c1Wmtw
youtube.com/watch?v=kKDqiVYJJlc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Glenn Danzig

Keith Morris

My personal favorite is the chick from Dickless, too bad they didn't record more

Gary Numan

Ian mackaye deaf rock

typical Sup Forums view of punk

How exactly do you categorize pop punk? I've heard people say that the Descendants is pop punk but Ive also heard it said that its hardcore?

Henry Rollins

Typical dicks on a dick, you're so rightsies

Absolutly this.

Gary Numan is the most punk dude to ever live

David Yow from Scratch Acid had a really unique way of using his voice so I'd say him.

>anyone but Iggy
lmao

Gibby Haynes

>Best: Glenn Danzig
>Favorite: Glenn Danzig

I think it's almost scientifically proven at this point, nobody has better woahs. His vocal peak was in 1990 w/o a doubt on Danzig II though.

>Runner-Up: Henry Rollins

I love how his voice sounds like his throat is just completely shredded after doing a 2 hour show the night before, but he keeps on yelling anyway, especially on Damaged.

>Third-Best: GG Allin

He could actually sing from 80-83 when he was with the Jabbers, but when he came out w/ scumfuc alley trash in 84 to 86 he stopped putting effort into his vocals and just sounded like a snotty asshole, which kinda gave his music a sort of self aware, endearing quality. From 87-89 he became a full on raging alcoholic and stopped giving a shit completely, dropped the punk Dead Boys/NY Dolls-esque sound and started becoming more noise-rock oriented, where he still sounds awesome, but stark raving mad. 91-93 is my favorite era where all the years of experimenting led to chronic heroin abuse on top of alcohol turned his voice box into a guttural fucking mess; nothing else sounds like it. He's definitely nowhere close to other singers in punk, but no one had as much diversity throughout their career like he did.

For some reason I like Bob Mould the best. I'd like to sing like him actually.
I also like Milo a lot, from the Descendents.

Brody Dalle

What are y'all's opinions on whiny punk vocals?

When they are badly done (most of the time they are)they are fucking horrible, but when they are pulled off, it sounds so great, Like Toy Dolls, or (I forget the singers name right now)
Crucifucks
youtube.com/watch?v=dNrytt7D2Lo

never much love for GG on Sup Forums

Theres a fair amount of people who listen to punk here, but very few punks. (Just look at this thread, Tubeway Army, Jesus Lizard and Butthole Surfers aren't really punk, even if they're close enough to get lumped in the genre) You almost have to be punk to appreciate the glorious shitshow of later GG, he took the whole shock / incoherant anger / fucked up no tomorrow aspect of punk to the max, and that doesn;t really resonate with music critic types the way it does with a punk kid

For being a pin-up postcard punk and a more famous musicians girlfriend, she's actually surprisingly good. Still sucks at songwriting, but dig her raspy vocals

Lux Interior

Great voice, great look and stage presence, great songwriting, great taste in women and bandmates and absolute fucking god tier musical knowledge and record collection

D. Boon has a way with swears, probably my fav

i kinda stopped listening to the cramps when i actually started finding some of the songs they covered...that being said they were important in exposing that rock underbelly that went further than typical "good time oldies"

'Songs The Cramps Taught Us' is such a good series of compilations, anyone interested in garage rock needs to check them out

Seth Putnam

post a better punker picture

you know the one

this one?

This

>never much love for GG on Sup Forums

It's a crying fucking shame, for some reason the consensus on here is that you can't throw and roll around in your own shit and still make good music

>Theres a fair amount of people who listen to punk here, but very few punks. (Just look at this thread, Tubeway Army, Jesus Lizard and Butthole Surfers aren't really punk, even if they're close enough to get lumped in the genre) You almost have to be punk to appreciate the glorious shitshow of later GG, he took the whole shock / incoherant anger / fucked up no tomorrow aspect of punk to the max, and that doesn;t really resonate with music critic types the way it does with a punk kid

I agree 100%, GG was the textbook definition of what Nihilism looks like. He knew where his lifestyle was going to lead him, but he just didn't care.

no it had a different pussy in it

well, to be fair, it wasn't 'good' music, but that was the entire point.

It's funny how people who can accept 4'33" as music think of GG as meaningless noise

GG is still a loser.

Lol no shit. You think he attacked his audience, rolled in his feces, and stripped on stage so that you’d think highly of him? He was the very essence of punk. The man did not give a fuck about anything or anyone.

Dave Vanian from The Damned has a nice set of pipes.

I always enjoyed his singing.

Fav?, the guy from Ceremony, because he sounds genuinely pissed to me.

It's not meaningless, it's just shit

There is no best, but my favorites are Milo, Ian McKaye, Jesse Michaels from Operation Ivy, and Brendan Yates from Turnstile.

Cave did it all and more years before

This is the correct answer IMO. His vocal performances are so unique and entertaining

His swearing is great but I'd say his vocals are the weakest part of the band

nick's my favourite. there was nobody as vicious as his performances in the birthday party heyday

>fav
Sakevi yokoyama (GISM)
>best alive today
dick beat aka deamonbitch (shitfucker/nuke)

I agree with Glenn. I think John Lydon deserves at least an honerable mention though.

Doc Corbin Dart

Tom Gabel/ Laura Jane Grace

descendants are the ancestors of pop punk but aren't really themselves

youtube.com/watch?v=CZPc0c1Wmtw
Guess how you can tell I'm not a punk.

Guy is a Jewish asshat, fuck him.

youtube.com/watch?v=kKDqiVYJJlc

Captain Sensible

I've been wanting to get into GG Allin for ages, what would you guys recommend to begin with

a meth pipe and a bad dragon

Hated in the Nation

>good vocals
>Punk

This board gets dumber and dumber every fuckin' day.

Basically Its a good compilation that covers early GG (80-85), and if you like what you hear, I'd recommend listening to his projects in chronological order just to get a sense of his evolution. My power ranking is:

You'll Never Tame Me = Carnival of Excess > Always Is... > Freaks, Faggots, Drunks, and Junkies > Troubled Troubadour > Cedar Street Sluts Ep > Brutality and Bloodshed...> Suicide Sessions > Murder Junkies > You Give Love a Bad Name > Eat My Fuck > Rest

t. pseudo intellectual nu-male

Blind Marky Felchtone