/daily/ - "return of кoт" edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

www93.zippyshare.com/v/PUdT8beO/file.html
discord.gg/3UQYGWC
youtu.be/ZMzBcxkDGsA
youtube.com/watch?v=iGVLX8GDYA4
rateyourmusic.com/~I_AM_FISH
rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/stag/to do/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george-russell/electronic-sonata-for-souls-loved-by-nature-2/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the-comet-is-coming/death-to-the-planet/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tashi/tashi-plays-messiaen-quartet-for-the-end-of-time/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luben_yordanoff_david_tetard_claude_desurmont_daniel_barenboim/quatuor_pour_la_fin_du_temps/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/orchestre-national-de-lo_r_t_f-ensemble-instrumental-de-musique-contemporaine-de-paris-maurice-le-roux-konstantin-simonovich-yuji-takahashi/metastasis-pithoprakta-eonta/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/keith_hudson_soul_syndicate/nuh_skin_up_dub/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/a_wilhelm_scream/career_suicide/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/гражданская-оборона/лунный-переворот/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/oeil/urban_twilight/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/huerco_s_/for-those-of-you-who-have-never-_and-also-those-who-have_/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_psychedelic_furs/the_psychedelic_furs/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/夕方の犬_u-・ェ・/ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

post you idiots

Japan Blues - Sells His Record Collection (2017)
>sound collage, tribal ambient

Williams draws from a large breadth of music to create his collages, with a heavy emphasis on traditional focus, which gives this a cool, unique sound. The sound sadly doesn't translate well to actually interesting pieces. Williams can wow the listener all he wants with incredibly obscure samples, but the core of this album is an ambient album without any textural complexity and with a complete lack of natural ebbs and flows in rhythm or mood.

Expressway Yo-Yo Dieting - Undone Harmony Following (2017)
>chopped and screwed, experimental hip hop

Yo-Yo Dieting's pinnacle will always be Dormant Mirrors / Drum. He tries to recapture that hazy, stoned magic here, and misses the mark. The components are all here, a deconstruction of hip hop by transforming standard beats into nightmarish, anguished hellscapes, yet the magic Yo-Yo Dieting had back in 2006 is sadly missing. Firstly, this style doesn't seem as novel or groundbreaking as it might have back then. The prominence of artists like Lil Ugly Mane and genres like vaporwave make this attempt seem more like a too late attempt at capturing something that hit its stride years ago. It's got its moments, the drums bang like nothing else, and the atmosphere is admittedly unparalleled, the album is just too little, too late.

2.0+

Damien Dubrovnik - Great Many Arrows (2017)
>death industrial, post-industrial

Another hit from one of industrial's most intersting acts. The duo takes the aggression of Vegas Fountain and channels it into something more subdued, more classical, more ambient. The result is frankly beautiful, the ambient works here are absolutely incredible, thought-provoking and undeniably beautiful. Harsher stuff actually ends up as the album's weakest point. It's decent, just too typical of industrial, especially with the screamed vocals. Definitely one of my favorites of the year thus far.

3.0+

Six Organs of Admittance - Burning the Threshold (2017)
>psychedelic folk

I haven't been the most stringent follower of SOoA's catalogue following the incredible Dark Noontide, so the fact that this could reasonably stand tall with that wonderful album is really impressive to me. There's a distinctively more upbeat vibe here, the songs are more jaunty folk rock tunes than primitivist funeral dirges. Chasny's voice have life in them that he's never truly shown off before. I miss the dismal primitivism elements of Chasny's music a bit, and that's really the only thing detracting from my liking of this.

3.0+

new chart alert

what's good what's bad what's mediocre

also i just put the two g.l.o.s.s. eps together as one album

pet shop boys r cool
xtc is cool

Pet Shop Boys *checkmark*

Scott Walker *checkmark*

Tom Waits *checkmark*

Michael Jackson *checkmark* (even tho Bad is his best, fite me)

Tears for Fears *very big checkmark and also red cheeks*

Bruce Springsteen, Fever Ray, Leonard Cohen, Swans are a no opinion (yet)

enjoy your rabbit
.i haven't heard anything else

thanks brollective, stick and caviar for your recommendations in the last thread. still up for grabs: 2 more chances to have a stranger on the internet steal your favorite EDM record!

aphex is the soundcloud dump that i haven't trawled through properly yet.
yes, perfect!
chur, imma try to check out some of the discography of each artist so those recommendations are definitely helpful.

hey, i wanna be a Cool Guy too

i guess its a continually updated chart?
if anyone has one or two suggestions, i can add them

thinking about a production values category as well

aww man, Skream used to be so good
don't have anything to add
but Skream used to be so good

don't want, u are. i'll put your name next to the skream record when i listen to it so it can be your rec.

drifting away-core: mimeo/john tilbury // the hands of caravaggio

nice bc that is a good Skream record

how to get The Hands of Caravaggio, tho?

legally? i think you gotta email john at erstwhile and buy a cd. otherwise the usual suspects should work: soulseek, rutracker, or here: www93.zippyshare.com/v/PUdT8beO/file.html

smiths, get lost, bonny bear. trumans water sounded amazing to me on first listen but fell off sadly. the first couple of tracks from skylarking are p neat

>bowery electric - s/t
it even has a track titled drift away. c'mon

>hurt me daddy
brainbombs - urge to kill

Bowery Electric were great, weren't they

never listened to Beat, tho, for some reason

Unofficial /shares/ discord
discord.gg/3UQYGWC

>Hasn't heard Cromagnon yet
well son, better get that done.

ahhhhhh black is beautiful
you'll prob hate it :)
bone machine good
sjylarking good

guess who spent ~5 hours yesterday waiting to get a red invite, I hope they do something for their anniversary or for xmas because otherwise I won't be using it soon lmao. I wish I had taken note of what I had bookmarked on what.cd :c

also.
>Mount Eerie - Black Wooden Ceiling Opening
Look, another great thing from this chart, what a surprise.
This EP totally shreds, you can hear some of the harsh sound Phil would use in Ocean Roar, yet it is different, it's powerful without being heavy and more rock ("indie lo-fi") oriented. It could become one of my favorites releases from Phil.

>White Heaven - Out
Some jap guys discovered their parents' psych rock albums from the 60s and decided to make a tribute album, at least they nailed the vibe.
4.5+

wait WHICh FuckING THREAD

both at the same time

nice

lol

is like in that rick and morty episode, like having two realities

it's uncertainty

love that show

Tribe is great
Charles Bradley is great
gloss is aight
cibo matto is good
swans is good
pet shop boys is fucking great
tears for fears is good
b52's are good
cromagnon is great despite all the idiots who say it sux
smiths are good

Oh shit this reminds me I had that EP in my backlog and had been meaning to listen to it for some years now

This is the direction Philly should've gone. There's a lot of the charm to the sound of it all that used to perpetuate his music from the years under the microphones name partly thanks to the authentic DIY aesthetic of it while also sounding new and fun with all those fuzzy metallic guitars. The strained singing I also love, its all a taste of what could've been had Phil went for a less serious more fun evolution of the fuzzy sound he employed here and there in his old releases.

Instead we got boring drone and shitty acoustic albums. It's also nice hearing him still not wholly immersed in his reciting boring poetry over music with an annoying intonation and metre style of vocals that he employes on every recent Mount Eerie release. Fuck do I miss the Microphones.

damn right, it's sad that there's not a whole album like this or another EP, but ok

blimp

Goddamn it

nat if you made a thread why didn't you link it in the last one?

Now we're gonna have two dying threads

I can't even delete mine because the post is too old

Janine Jansen is once again introducing me to a classical piece that I instantly fall in love with.

The clarinet brings it all together here though. The ensemble sounds soothing because of it, but the remaining instruments bring in some sense of distress (hence the title).

Loved it. Would love to hear other versions.

9/10

Also Jonny Greenwood ripped this off directly on this particular track.
youtu.be/ZMzBcxkDGsA

Gonna try and contribute somehow

>XTC - Skylarking
I really thought I was gonna have a new re-discovery as a favorite here for a second. Tracks 1-8 are some of the best pop music I've heard from this era. They're seriously on the level of Golden-Era Beach Boys or Olivia Tremor Control for their innovations and intricate use of melody.

A shame about that second half though, huh?

>Kahimi Karie - Nunki
Thought I'd do an Avant-Teen 180 on this after discovering Jim O'Rourke, Otomo Yoshihide + bandmates, the entire Doopees gang, and Sachiko M all played a part in this album. This fusion of microsound/EAI and J-Pop is a fantastic idea, but is only occasionally really evocative. Most other times it comes across ham-fisted or just dull. A really poor use of a poseur supergroup but an okay overall J-Pop output.

>Guerilla Toss - Gay Disco
I 100% wish there were more modern bands like this getting good press, even if they aren't always 100% quality. I really dug the first two cuts but these songs seem to drag on for about half as long as they really need to without any sort of progression or reason for being as stretched thin as they are. Their 2017 release is much more worth your time

>The Look of Love: The Burt Bacharach Collection
The Spector comparisons are lazy, but here I go doing it anyways. Not only do these guys have a completely different, distinct style of pop craftsmanship, but Spector is just miles ahead of this. For such a long compilation only about half of the music is worth listening to at all which is a real bummer. There are a handful of great Traditional Pop songs here like "Anyone Who Had a Heart", "Don't Make Me Over" and "My Little Red Book", but I'm never going to feel inclined to return to it the way I do to Back to Mono. The stuff I was familiar with before entering this was not anything I was particularly fond of in the first place.

1/2

>OMD - Dazzle Ships
While only half as catchy or interesting as their previous LP, there's still great synthpop tracks on here like "Telegraph" and "Of All the Things We've Made". I thought "Time Zones" was a Negativland cover being sample/concrete based but this came out four years earlier. Odd. That stuff comes across as filler in this context anyways.

>Various Artists - みんな大好き塊魂 オリジナルサウンドトラック「塊は魂」
Unlike the last Katamari Soundtrack, being one of the perfect gateways into underground Japanese genres from the time, all of the better tracks on this album are the subdued less in-your-face moments. There's so many recycled (worse) moments from the previous album that really make this a disappointing, pointless listen. Lots of great songs and clever use of Leitmotifs, but overall I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't a mega-fan of the series/first album.

>Otomo Yoshihide - Anode
While The Yoshihide stuff I usually gravitate more towards is more subtle than in-your-face, I felt nearly the opposite here. "Anode 1" and the variations track made for some killer noise/indeterminant music, but 2 and 3 just didn't do it for me.

>James Ferraro - Last American Hero
They're definitely correct in saying it's the sonic equivalent of shopping at Best Buy. How you feel like interpreting that is up to you.

>Bill Nelson - Sound-On-Sound
Lemme check that time...oh yes it's still 'I dislike nearly all Zolo' O'clock. I need a new watch/taste. For real, I've heard probably like 50+ albums from this genre and only like three people ever have done it right: Cardiacs, Haniwa-Chan, and Zappa (off the top of my head) and even with them the sound can get grating. Spork ain't my gig and I don't see that changing soon.

What next?

If my only 9 on this chart comes from an album Jangle likes I'm gonna be pissed

Did he rec you Meditations?

have you heard Apple Venus Vol.1 by XTC? that's well worth a listen

>Yuya Uchida & the Flowers - Challenge!
I never was a interested in "Hard/Acid Rock", this record did not change that. The guitar playing is good but the vocals are annoying and totally drag this down, overall is pretty boring, also the intros/outros of some songs are really cringy.
4-

>Jens Lekman - Life Will See You Now
Very happy, and upfront about that fact. For some reason I really liked the start of every song. However I found it really too cheesy for my liking- did like the jovial backing for a lot of the songs though, and "to know your mission" and "hotwire the ferris wheel" were quality. 5/10.

>Whitney - Light Upon The Lake
This one's nice! Polly is a jam. The voice sounds like a guy singing with his tongue half down his esophagus, but I mean that in a good way. Round the middle it starts sounding a bit samey, but mostly interesting song progression, and happy but not in a pompous way. 7+/10.

I don't get the hype. It just sounds like generic 2000s pop.

I know what you mean about Life Will See You Now being kind of cheesy- I found it challenging at times, initially. It grew on me quite a bit, one of my favorite albums of the year by one of my favorite artists. On the other hand, I almost didn't finish Light Upon the Lake the first time because of the guy's voice, but I consider that one of my favorite records now.
I also think your score for Lekman is horrible an u should be ashame for being a pleeb

If I wasn't a pleeb I wouldn't be on /daily/ :^)
maybe I'll listen to Lekman again when I feel in love and see how I feel about it then.

>Tyler the Creator - Flowers and being gay
Getting into this. Each time it get's a little better. 7/10

Didn't realize that Clarence Clarity produced this, you can hear his nigthmarish kind of atmosphere in the second song especially, but he plays it safe. I think it's Rina's voice that makes this much more generic then it ought to be.

I'm not too into Clarence Clarity in the first place, but in my opinion most of the production was sooo bland along with Rina's voice

no but he likes Basra as much as me grrr

no but I'll put it on the to-do

wowow great chart

Fever Ray is great

Bone Machine is one of Waits' best

Thriller is an undeniable classic albeit overrated

Koto has bops

That Magnetic Fields album is good but not incredible

Public Castration will all depend on what you think of early heavier Swans stuff

Tilt is insane

Skylarking has a killer A-side

Smiths' s/t has two of their best songs but is otherwise unremarkable

Grace Jones is cool

If This Year by The Mountain Goats doesn't get you emotional you never in love in high school but the rest of the album isn't even close to as good

Songs From a Room has some gooduns but is otherwise unremarkable

Manson, Decemberists, Bon Iver, Springsteen, Sufjan, Stewart, Clash, B-52s, Dean Blunt, and Akina Nakamori are all unremarkable minus maybe a song or two

Hi! sorry for being away yesterday and not really progressing with my chart
But I think I already discovered a new favourite band from it, aha, been going throughkent's whole discogrpahy for the past days, really love their style. Their earlier albums have more of a Radiohead feeling, which is great, but I also greatly enjoy the newer approach which is closer to electropop and better produced. Thank you so much borzoi!
But now it's time to finally move on to the next album on the chart

why u gotta let me down like this torts
even tho this certainly isnt my kinda style i thought i could trust you to an extent but noo, fuck the first thing you'll hear is like 5 minutes of the same 4 note loop behind some shitty trad sample
this sure as fuck isnt "chamber pop" like it never goes beyond woo spooky sad piano
that's already it there's 2 ideas that make up the entire album and they're just there next to each other
it's got everything ppl complain about in metalcore but it's noise so there's no breakdowns
i like the vocals

>The Doors - The Doors
>Dadrock
Not purely predictable songs, there are some moderately gripping instrumental portions that stick out and keep this from being a snoozefest. I get that this was a step forward for psych rock in general, given the less conventional songs on here (I liked the Alabama cover), but I'm absolutely feeling neutral on this.

5-/10

>Television - Marquee Moon
>Art Punk

Don't really have much to add in terms of saying anything new about this. A great start for punk rock.

7+/10

>Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
>
When I go into the "negative" reviews for this album, I see a handful of people complaining about how this album sounds weird/odd/stupid, has shite lyrics, was a product of acid, how it compared to the Beatles, even complaining about the pressing. Only one of those complaints are even slightly valid-- this is still better than The Wall.

5-/10

These are all dad rock thiugh

i know

listen to going blank again instead, nowhere sucks

dont say ur a fan of video games if you dont know who this man is

What is the country song that sounds like John Holt's Ali Baba?

Pls help

youtube.com/watch?v=iGVLX8GDYA4

doing this I guess

39 participants needed

will wait for as long as that takes

won't start until current chart is finished

Tourney rules:

1. Nothing over 2 hours (unless with special permission)
2. Can submit things I've already heard, but the ratings need to be well over a year old
3. From 'to do' not required but encouraged, as it's a list of things I'm interested in
4. I'm gay
5. I can say 'no' to anything for arbitrary reasons so be prepared to give me another rec if this is the case
6. Play nice

gogogo

is this vsauce michael

should probably link to these as well

rateyourmusic.com/~I_AM_FISH
rateyourmusic.com/collection/I_AM_FISH/stag/to do/

Roza-Eskenazi - Rembetissa

>Belong- October land
>how enjoyable this album is is directly proportional to the volume it is listened to at
Have loud headphones, would go deaf again
8-/10. Happy in it's vaguest sense of the word, but I do get positive vibes.

Good luck listening to 39 albums when you have a test soon you :^^)
Will you take EPs as valid material?

added

>Good luck listening to 39 albums when you have a test soon you :^^)
it's two tests actually and they're not until tomorrow silly

>Will you take EPs as valid material?
should clarify:

Any release between 10 and 120 minutes with special exceptions if you think I /really/ need to hear something

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country

Fishmans - Long Season

added

*jason aldean's poop splash*
also no

Somi - Petite Afrique

Jk. Jk.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/george-russell/electronic-sonata-for-souls-loved-by-nature-2/

belong october language
good onion

cardiacs - the seaside (be sure to download the one with the tracklist of the original release on rym)

6 down 34 more to go

added

added

no

added

oh, good luck! I'm gonna rec this even though it's not on your to-do
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/the-comet-is-coming/death-to-the-planet/

onion? I don't know if this is an insult or not

ricebean reserving spot but he cant post atm

dragonforce - inhuman rampage

Guys the random album generator on RYM just chose Asia's s/t if it seriously makes it into the next round I'm going to be seriously disappointed

added

there's no reserving. There's 39 spots. Everyone will get a chance.

no

NV - Binasu

Check out Black Tambourine - Throw Aggi Off the Bridge and Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

Amos & Sara - Invite to Endless Latino
watch out for wrong tracklists

You got some good ones there
Really hope XTC doesn't disappoint you

Animal Slaves - Dog-Eat-Dog
don't worry if you can't find a 320kbps version, that doesn't exist.

Sviatoslav Richter - The Sofia Recital 1958

added

added

is the one listed on RYM good?

Gonna take my broken laptop to the school and see if I can boot it up on a monitor there and change the output resolution. Hopefully that works. That computer was how I'm ripping the CD's so hopefully I'll have this figured out for Avant CD week 2 or I'll have to find a rip online of something.

I've heard 3-4 versions and usually I can immediately gravitate to a specific recording but I've found something to love about every version of this I've heard. I'll have to check that one out.
Super interesting composer; the first movement for example uses transposed birdsong in a 17-note repeating rhythm sequence in the piano section and a 29-note sequence in the clarinet/violin section (both prime numbers) so the pieces never converge until the 17x29th note.
These 2 are popular picks and definitely worth hearing:
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/tashi/tashi-plays-messiaen-quartet-for-the-end-of-time/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/luben_yordanoff_david_tetard_claude_desurmont_daniel_barenboim/quatuor_pour_la_fin_du_temps/

Give Sam Rivers a 9 too, lol

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/orchestre-national-de-lo_r_t_f-ensemble-instrumental-de-musique-contemporaine-de-paris-maurice-le-roux-konstantin-simonovich-yuji-takahashi/metastasis-pithoprakta-eonta/

yea but most uploads have side A and B switched up, no big deal rly
just annoying when they clearly say the track name in the song and people still get it wrong i guess

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/keith_hudson_soul_syndicate/nuh_skin_up_dub/

1.Random: Asia – s/t
2.Trianglecubed: Roza-Eskenazi – Rembetissa
3.Huit : Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country
4.Accel: Somi - Petite Afrique
5.EthyBoy: Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature
6.Lamb: the seaside cardiacs
7.Arra: Death to the Planet by the Commet is coming
8.The Sound: NV - Binasu
9.Jimmy Jazz: Amos & Sara - Invite to Endless Latino
10.Caviarr: Animal Slaves - Dog-Eat-Dog
11.Breadhead: Sviatoslav Richter - The Sofia Recital 1958
12.Mongoloid: Metastasis; Pithoprakta; Eonta
13.Canine: Nuh Skin Up Dub
lemme know if I miss anything

added

gotchya

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/a_wilhelm_scream/career_suicide/

Thanks very much! added them both.

>Melodic Hardcore
hmmmmm

I'll add I guess...

wait i meant fucken john adams piano works by van raat

k
added

Dedekind cut - $uccesor

added

:)

rudi is so wholesome :D

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/гражданская-оборона/лунный-переворот/

:D

fuck you double bitch

can't have a tourney without a letov link

also added

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/oeil/urban_twilight/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/huerco_s_/for-those-of-you-who-have-never-_and-also-those-who-have_/

Shit we're halfway there already

added

added

If I post a normal link is it still considered a Letov link™ or is it just a Letov link?

Can my mom join
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_psychedelic_furs/the_psychedelic_furs/

in, selecting album soon

no it's just a link

other people can post letov links too

watch
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/夕方の犬_u-・ェ・/ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ/

only if like a week goes by and I can't get up to 40

no reserving, everyone should get a spot

How are you even supposed to say those bandcampcore albums out loud?