ARRIVAL SPOILER DISCUSSION

Was this pure alienkino?

I have lots of questions, but the point of it is going in completely blind so I'll spoiler tag them in the next post.

If you haven't seen it, don't read this thread. You'll just ruin it for yourself.

If she had memory of the entire thing while she was raising her child, why did she forget everything again during the event?

What did she say in Chinese to the Chinese General?

Why didn't other countries figure out the code? Is this a timeline that will be added to every time it loops?

How did she manage to convey the entire secret code to the Chinese general in one 5 minute phonecall?

wow, so no one has seen this huh.

>If she had memory of the entire thing while she was raising her child, why did she forget everything again during the event?

Haven't seen it but I'll answer your first question based on the short story its based.

If she had memory of the entire thing while she was raising her child, why did she forget everything again during the event? Getting too much into 'thinking' like the aliens because of learning their language made her see her entire life as a timeless construct. Basically linguistic relativism made her mind "timeless". And no, she can't predict her future, just look navigate her memories in a timeless manner which affects the narrative. (A movie plot is expected to be told in linear time).

>wow, so no one has seen this huh.
I'd see it if I could, doesn't it not come out till tomorrow?

It's not out yet in my theater buddy boy, i'll see it this friday

>you'll ruin this movie based on a short story

the UK is pretty weird about opening dates. some films like this and Doctor Strange get released early to inflate their BO opening take.

Official release is tomorrow.

that's what I suspected but I'm pretty sure she has a line that directly states she can see into the future

but that line does come after she realises what's going on.

should I bother to read the book?

Just saw this in a Dutch cinema. Ill give it a 6, I liked some parts, but it has some serious flaws.

like what flaws? you're the only other person I can discuss this with :\

What was meant by the four thousand year thing and a gift? Was the gift just being able to use their language to know the future ?

in 3000 years the alien race will need Earth's help. that's why they embarked on this mission in the first place: to accelerate their progress as a species so that they can perfect space travel and save them 3000 years from now.

yeah pretty much. but it fits within the grander themes of the film: global unity, finite time, appreciation of our relationships with each other etc.

bump for alienkino

She was raising the child after the event, we were led to believe it took place before but at the end we realise it was actually the future.
Also yes, it is alienkino.

but she is supposedly experiencing everything simultaneously, or at least non-linearly. That means she would have known about the future in the past. But I guess not in the present, which makes sense if you think about that "writing with both hands till they meet in the middle" analogy.

>The first shot of the shell
>The first shot of the alien's entire body
>tfw Louise so excited to have her child even though she knows she dies young because the life she has is worth living
Best sci-fi in years, lads.

that last point didn't affect me as much which is why I'm not as hyped about it as everyone else seems to be.

Apart from the intro none of it feels very human or emotional. I never bought into the two scientist's relationship either. They barely had any rapport. She was pretty much focused on the job throughout the whole event, but now I gotta believe they're madly in love with each other?

She didn't know she could perceive time simultaneously before the event so she wouldn't be able to interpret the "memories" coming to her. Hence the random flahbacks unclear whether they're past or future. Once she understands, she uses it to her advantage.

They weren't madly in love with each other which was what made their relationship at the end interesting, he was just starting to get a hard on for her and she already knew they'd marry, have a kid etc.
As for not feeling human I don't know what you missed, the one thing I would specifically say about it is that was a very human sci-fi compared to most. Her relationship with the alien mirroring her relationship with her daughter was ingenious

WHAT A TWEEST! GREATEST FILM EVER!

Is the film as boring as it sounds? I read the whole plot including spoilers.

Sounds so bland.

I assumed the movie is arranged closer to what she experiences because it starts from the future and revisits the past, which plays into the circular nature of the alien concept of time. I guess I'm being too pedantic here.

first two acts are a pretty well done "alien visitation" slowburn. Last act is where the twist is revealed but it doesn't make a huge deal of it. It's pretty sombre throughout.

Think Interstellar with 75% less bullshit but 50% less excitement and you're almost there. It's worth seeing.

>Interstellar with less excitement.

Ill pass. Sounds like something to watch at home.

it's a thinking man's Interstellar. If you're looking for action you'll be disappointed, but you should really diversify your sci-fi diet. Intelligent sci-fi like this doesn't come around often.

Did you even watch the film? Idiot

DUDE SQUIDS LMAO
DUDE GLOBALISM LMAO
DUDE TIME LMAO

how is this any different than slaughter house 5, linguistic relativism notwithstanding

It just doesn't sound like it will hold my attention and iv seen non linear time stories before. Its not a good plot device. Mr Nobody for example. Nice film but its not helped by its non linearity.

>Thinking mans interstellar
That sounds like an oxymoron. Interstellar was a rollarcoaster. I watched it blasted drunk and it was one of my better cinema experiences. You arnt supposed to use your brain. Just your feelings, your eyes and your ears.

Your one of these kids that gets confused by Interstellar aren't you

>it's a someone who hasn't seen the film tries to lecture me post
answer any of those questions. go ahead. I'm waiting.

Saw it a couple months ago at TIFF

I'm not one to usually feel tense or teeming with anticipation at a seemingly predictable moment but when that fucking bomb counter is ticking down and the squids are poking at the glass I was fucking losing it.

Villeneuve is legit one of the most consistent directors working today. His films really get under my skin.

idk maybe you're right it did start with the end so to speak but the rest was pretty much linear until the last ten minutes.

Are you a troll?

>Costello is death process

great line.

No I am serious about what I said.

Been looking for a legit camrip for a month now. My illegitimate stream-fu skills are faltering lads. I want to see the story on film ASAP and then see this one on screen when I get paid late end of next week because I know it will still be worth it. But dying for even the LQ SD CamRip to hold me over. CamRip WHEN? Soon I'm sure but many sources would've already had one due to festivals and screenings in other countries etc. Where are the based Flips and Indos when I need em greatly right now? Well if anyone has a legit mirror site etc, I'm anxiously hoping for a posted link. I haven't read the rules in awhile (years maybe) so hope this post isn't a bannable offense on Sup Forums.
Shit. POTUS Elect Trump will likely ban this before I'm done posting it. Like he's the supersuccesion to candlejack or somethi

yoooo JUST walked in the door, what a film

felt like grant morrison

Reminder - Arrival is a film for extraordinarily-intelligent audiences

it also reminded me of vonnegut, having read like 4-5 of his books, but not that one (i know)

I've never been this desperate for anything in my entire life. chill.

I loved this movie. Just got out of seeing it. Few movies make me cry the way this one did. Might go again next week.

>under my skin.

he and glazer are two of the most exciting directors working and they both excelled at this genre

fugg that part hit me

Costello died for our sins.

never got this movie, why was the main alien character so retarded. its like she didnt know she was an alien!!!

man. all these reactions saying it moved them deeply is making me feel more like a robot than ever before. I couldn't get there.

how do I feel again :(

>Few movies make me cry the way this one did

I fought back tears in the theatre just now like 3x.

Found out a couple hours ago a close childhood friend, with whom i had countless adventures all over the country in boy scouts, is rapidly dying from cancer. Grief stricken I decide to get out of the house and see that new alien movie. RIP to my feels.

post irony bro, get into it

It's implied that she raised her child after the event, and during she was remembering the future because the language gives you that power.

She said his wife's dying words which somehow miraculously convinced him to calm down which is my only big negative with the movie. That was way too convenient.

Amy Adams and America sorta figured it out, but since everyone was being secretive bitches, they didn't tell anyone about their progress probably. Amy Adams was the first to truly "understand" though, as evidence by her future seeing power.

She didn't tell him the code, only his wife's dying words I think. That somehow convinced him to calm down.

This was a pretty fucking fantastic film nevertheless. The way the camera worked was definite alienkino. Denis Villeneuve does it again.

Hey guys Chris Stuckmann here. I saw Arrival Monday but I did my review 3 days later so I could read the IMDB message boards and have it all spoonfed to me first then pretend I knew everything by my self.

Please watch it! Like and subscribe!

glad someone else thought of the under the skin comparison. The mood and soundtrack were extremely similar at points.

fuck that's horrible. stay strong.

Blade Runner's gonna be doooope

They did a 7:00 Thursday showing at my theater. It was fantastic.

Maybe the context was over the top but I just meant as of late simply because nothing else piques my interest that I haven't already been able to stream no problems. Shin Gojira being the other recent exception

>She said his wife's dying words which somehow miraculously convinced him to calm down which is my only big negative with the movie. That was way too convenient.

She made it happen, incepted it in a way, no?

Kinda. It just seemed way too quick of a solution to me though. Granted the way it was shot was a good suspenseful climax though. Still an 8/10 film desu.

What was the song that was at the beginning and end of the movie? I've heard it before I just can't remember what it is

So she gives birth to Hannah and informs Ian that she knows Hannah will die early which causes Ian to leave them behind because he doesn't want to deal with the pain? But then she changes the future and never tells him?

>She said his wife's dying words which somehow miraculously convinced him to calm down
I think it was meant to mirror her own journey of acceptance of death. They probably went on similar journeys together in realising the truth about time.

but yeah I wish it wasn't so rushed. He just appears and it's like "tell me that" and then she does and then whew it goes by too fast.

Stay strong, lad. While I can't know what your friend or you are going through, know that what we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.

I have been waiting like two fucking months for this magnificent swedish bastard to drop the soundtrack. It comes out tomorrow.

I am so, SO glad this is the team behind the Blade Runner sequel. Dennis Villeneuve says he's absolutely terrified every time before he makes a film and that's a very reassuring thing.

Also Deakins

>posts pic of another guy who died in his prime
WHY

she doesn't change the future. she changes the past (calls the general) from the future (cocktail party).

Haven't seen it, but any movie that presupposes extraterrestials are super-intelligent angels from space is no different than shitty religious films.

thanks anons

>Also Deakins

Yeah that should be awesome. I liked this cinematographer, it suited the material, Bradford Young, who it looks like is doing the Han Solo film which is kinda cool.

well they're both fictional genres. Only one of them inspires rational thought though.

>She didn't tell him the code, only his wife's dying words I think
that would be fine and dandy except it leaves a gaping unresolved plotline that is one of the main Macguffins: what happens to the 12 codes?

I assume she writes about it in the book or something and shares the information with all the world nations, but it'd be nice if the film actually followed up on that seemingly major plot element.

>these people are paid to review movies

Sci Fi kino

REEEEEEEEE

10 out of fucking 10. Possibly the best movie of this year so far.
What was the point of telling Forrest Whitaker to ask the guy about the Sanskrit word for "war"?

You must be a joy to hangout with.

>mfw i see the canary drawing in the periphery

Pop quiz to test how nuanced his understanding of the underpinnings of language was I guess.

He interpreted it too close to our modern understanding of conflict when it was just some shit about goats.

What do you suppose the alien environment/atmosphere was?

Will *we* be ready in 3,000 years?

Since it glowed and probably protected the craft from our atmosphere I'm gonna guess it's mostly Argon.

And no. America can't even elect a President who believes in climate change.

Trips confirm, the incoming anti-science, anti-intellectual administration loomed over my viewing this film

Just thought of one more:

Why did the ships choose those specific landing sites? The film brings up the question, then never answers it.

This film is a disgusting SJW feminist power propaganda.

calculated by the aliens to urge as many nations as possible to cooperate, maybe?

>Hey guys user here. I spend my time on Bangladeshi seashell necklace forums to make fun of insignificant youtubers who manage to somehow make my peepee feel small

Adams deserves the ol' oscar nom

>Costello
>The hero we needed, not the hero we deserved

>he actually watches cam rips

this is actually disgusting. you shouldn't be watching kino

>ywn bro down w/ abbott and costello, teaching them earth humor through pantomime and hijinks

Also take in this movie has little to zero violence and maybe 5 swear words and it was still extremely entertaining

fucking K I N O

That's because it was so well shot and had fucking god-tier atmospheric music. Movies nowadays are so fucking bland and uninterestingly shot and edited and this was such a nice breath of fresh air.

love u user

Amazing movie. Reminded me so much of Enemy while mantaining originality. Very much Slaughterhouse 5. Can't wait to see it again

Did Louise's decision to have a kid remind anyone else of Eternal Sunshine? That was the first thing I thought of. Great movie regardless, although it was a little too cheesy in parts.

That opening track, when they reveal the interior of her house, sounds real familiar. Know where it might be from? Also, could using an old song be a meta plot device?

Nah senpai it's OST. It fits the palyndrome motif perfectly in every way. Fucking shit brilliant.

And this was supposed to be a clue to the Major that the other linguist wasn't up to snuff? What would he know?

How is this a bad thing?

Is this the movie which has the aliens whos legs bend backwards?

9/10. First movie I've genuinely liked in theaters in a while.

I feel Villanueve does such a good job at establishing tension through the camera work and music that the length of his shots almost work against the suspense he's building. Is this my ADD talking?

Yet another film in which i'm so glad I went in fresh. NO TRAILER. No expectations, hardly knew anything about it besides director, cast, and something about first contact.

Glad to have been surprised by the images and narrative unfurling.