ITT: Overrated directors

Have no idea why this hack is still discussed.

Other urls found in this thread:

huffingtonpost.com/entry/tippi-hedren-alfred-hitchcock_us_5820ffe9e4b0d9ce6fbe2a6e?slideshow=true
usatoday.com/story/life/books/2016/10/31/tippi-hedren-alfred-hitchcock-the-birds-marnie-tippi/93064436/
npr.org/2016/11/05/500668082/for-tippi-hedren-hitchcocks-scares-came-off-screen
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/11/what-tippi-hedren-learned-from-alfred-hitchcocks-harassment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Really? I was looking forward to eventually watching Badlands.

I don't even know WHY he ever was discussed. Literally none of his "movies" is good.

Especially fucking Vertigo. He's the "master of suspense", but none of his movies are suspenseful.

Psycho and Vertigo were objectively good. Didn't get the hype of the Birds though.

Also, I think the film itself is better than anything. The writing I can see how some say it's overrated, especially these days. But his camerawork is extraordinary.

He was the Nolan of his era

Birds was lame, who's afraid of a fucking bird.

Psycho is silly as hell and doesn't hold up, only worthwhile bit is Anthony Perkins' performance.
>his camerawork is extraordinary.
Anybody's camerawork can be extraordinary if they practice long enough, I don't give a shit about how good a director is technically if everything else is trash.

Who isn't afraid of birds? Devil creatures, rats with wings.

>detecting bait in thread...

But that's most of their job, though.

Refn is the same way. His writing is dogshit, his soundtracks suck. But he can work wonders with a camera.

Giving credit where credit is due. In the case of Hitchcock, it really doesn't matter if it took him 50 years to get there. He got there.

I really enjoyed Hitchcock presents

Actress Tippi Hedren Describes The ‘Brutal’ Way Alfred Hitchcock Ruined Her Career
>By the time she began filming 1964’s “Marnie,” Hedren knew what it was like to work with Hitchcock, who she says made unwanted advances toward her previously during “The Birds.”
>“I saw a huge problem coming,” Hedren says. “There would be the invitations to have lunch with him, and then there would be lunch and a glass of wine, and then he would tell me stories about how he would like to do some ‘research.’ One day, we would have a little table and there would be 12 martinis on it. I would be filmed while I was drinking 12 martinis.”
>Hitchcock installed a secret door between his office and Hedren’s dressing room, and even kept a life mask of her face for his personal use. Eventually, Hitchcock’s advances became physical when he sexually assaulted Hedren.
>Hedren was still under contract to work with Hitchcock for two more years.
>“He said, ‘I’ll ruin your career’ ― and he did. He kept paying me my salary for two years, so he had control of what [offers] came in,” Hedren explains

fat piece of shit

huffingtonpost.com/entry/tippi-hedren-alfred-hitchcock_us_5820ffe9e4b0d9ce6fbe2a6e?slideshow=true

>it's a patrician has to shitpost about good directors because otherwise Sup Forums won't reply thread

What are you some kinda double ironic faggot that you can't must make a thread about how you wanna suck Big Hitchcucks massive hog?

>Huffington Post

I get what you're saying, but Hitchcock's camerawork isn't that special. Vertigo looked great, but I think it had more to do with the costume designer than him.

Psycho had tremendous camerawork. As did The Birds, though as I said I didn't care for the writing.

usatoday.com/story/life/books/2016/10/31/tippi-hedren-alfred-hitchcock-the-birds-marnie-tippi/93064436/
npr.org/2016/11/05/500668082/for-tippi-hedren-hitchcocks-scares-came-off-screen
vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/11/what-tippi-hedren-learned-from-alfred-hitchcocks-harassment

You happy?

I haven't watched The Birds and I really don't want to at this point.
I actually downloaded Rear Window because I saw how great it looked, but I hated his other movies so much I'm not sure it's worth it.

Hitchcock's camerawork isn't that special
Vertigo literally invented that zoom effect when he looks down, and those couple seconds alone cost like $20.000

>invented shots, camera movements, film structure, and heralded good editing
>he also fought vehimently against making what was basically the cape shit of his era

I don't even like his movies, but hes a fucking pioneer lol

Hitchcock-more like Hitchcuck, right fellas?

I actually knew about this shit. I just wanted to post >Huffington Post.

He was a cunt apparently. Doesn't make him not a good director.

Tom Brady is a cheating twat, doesn't make him not an excellent quarterback.

Jean-Luc Godard. What a pretentious hipster this guy is.

>guy despises anime and how it's a culture that takes from itself
>instead of using tried and true technique he draws from his feelings, something incredibly influenced by other material causing it to feel samey

still his earlier stuff was good.

All you guys who don't like Hitchcock: do you dislike classic hollywood movies in general or something very specific to him?

>I actually downloaded Rear Window because I saw how great it looked, but I hated his other movies so much I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's probably the most pure movie out there, where the visuals are the absolute driving point of the story.

it's nothing remarkable but it's a pretty damn good idea.

>still his earlier stuff was good.
Castle of Caligostro was good.

>Hitchcock invented film structure
Might've been amazing for his time, but that doesn't mean his movies are good.
Just because you're the first to do something it doesn't make you the best.

Vertigo is literally the most overrated film of all time
It is genuinely unwatchable at worst, boring at best

>wow this guy who invented arithmatic is incredible
>lol whats so cool about 2+2

Thanks for the heads up with the image, you're bait was pretty convincing otherwise.

Like you could of done any better, go back to your filthy frog board

It still makes you fucking important and worthy of being continually being discussed.

I've liked/enjoyed most of the classic movies I've seen, I just don't like Hitchcock.

I'll watch it soon. Jimmy Stewart was so fucking annoying to me in Vertigo that I was instantly turned off.

good point, I forgot I said that.

Of the Hitchcock I've seen
>loved The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes, both super fun little movies with underwhelming endings
>Rear Window is nearly as good but has some moral issues I had a hard time getting over
>Lifeboat's propaganda qualities eventually became too much to take but had it's moments
>I didn't finish NbNw because Cary Grant practically lets all these bad things happen to him when a single fuck off would have ended the story in 5 minutes. I hated Bringing Up Baby for the same reasons. Cary Grant needs to man up

So the verdict from my very small sample is I love his simplicity and craft, but thematically he can be questionable, and his overt disinterest in believable plot development can kill a film for me

>Vertigo is literally the most overrated film of all time
Isn't it by default, same as when Kane topped S&S all those decades?

>moral issues I had a hard time getting over
All the illegal stuff he did to get proof?

>gets sexually assaulted
>waits 52 years to come forward
yeah, right.

Not really the director but the movie Old Boy, it's good and all, but the "famous hallway scene" isn't really that great at all, it felt really weak.
He's got some good comfy movies, although fuck the audio team for his series and that LOUD intro.
Rope is also really good, the camera work with the "continuous" style (it was cut in 10 min segments putting them together by doing ghost cuts when the camera went behind a chair or something) is pretty cool for the time.

people always say that Rope is good, I really need to find a link.

Sort of but that's just movie stuff to create drama. The enormous presumption of guilt and the way the audience is supposed to dislike the cop for believing in proper search laws is what bothered me more. To set up this unlikely guy as a secret killer is one thing, but to present a perfectly reasonable and just police officer as a secondary antagonist for not arresting a man without evidence is practically a public danger. It's things like that that teach people to ignore "innocent until proven guilty" on vague hunches

All the stuff with the spinster in the bottom apartment really disgusted me too. They're more concerned with catching imaginary killers that they ignore her sexual assault and near-suicide, but there is never anything that comes of this. No judgement, she gets a deux ex machina happy ending, all is forgotten. It was so hard to empathize with these scummy people. Was there some irony there that I missed?

STEVEN FUCKING SPIELBERG

I like North by Northwest.

because he's a competent director with just enough artistic and technical skill to allow his films to stand above many others of the era.

He's not a brilliant director but he's very easily acsesable making him popular for people wanting to get into older cinema.

bump

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

are you bothered?

goodbye to language was a work of art though

King Lear*