What is "hipster metal"? Why sludge/stoner/doom are considered to be "hipster" metal sub-genres...

What is "hipster metal"? Why sludge/stoner/doom are considered to be "hipster" metal sub-genres? What exactly makes a genre "hipster"? What draws them to these genres?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EAZnHJ9-0EA
youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU
youtube.com/watch?v=J_27DRSCB6M
youtube.com/watch?v=4PmCb9OiFYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jYYr9q9F1-E
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FPhpuNrwg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Fuck you, Sleep is the antithesis of "hipster.'

There was a point a few years back where it was definitely the buzz-genre in all of metal; then it was black metal

I'm not saying they are hipster, but a lot of people call it shit like "nu-male" metal. Is "nu-male" the new buzzword instead of "hipster"?

I've never seen anyone call doom/stoner/sludge nu-male honestly.

If you're talking about which metal clique had the most hipster attitude, 2nd wave black metal without a fucking doubt.

memes

It just randomly got popular with hipsters, and insecure neckbeards on here like to disassociate themselves from anyone who is socially competent

true

Ty Segall

In 2011 I went through a phase of listening to stoner metal.
Then I realised it was boring and shit.
I still have an original copy of dopesmoker though.

Ty Segall is garage rock foh

You are right. I easily confuse stoner metal and stoner rock. Sometimes i can barely see the difference between these three genres.

See it like this: it is metal without the intensity. Lots of atmo-black metal and stoner/sludge metal fall into this category, which is why much of is considered "hipster". It's also metal that looks somewhat innovative at a glanse, but when you actually listen to it it's just fucking boring and sounds exactly like everything in it's particular sub-genre, which again applies to post-sludge and post-black metal.

I feel like I did a shit job at explaining this, so just take at look at the nu-male metal chart for some obvious examples.

A lot of thrash/death/power also sound like everything else in their respective sub-genres, would you consider them to be hipster?

No, because those genres are all very over-the-top. A numale or hipser would find a typical power metal band like Sabaton or Rhapsody, or a typical death metal band like Bloodbath or Suffocation "cringey" and "for manchildren".

Hmmmm

What a load of crap

California isn't even a fucking metal album and Megadeth? Wtf

I like a worryingly large amount of that.

All metal is bad

Excuse me, I wouldn't let my girlfriend (she has a penis) fuck me to a Nazi like varg

>people still reply to the nu male chart

I've never seen it before. I take it it's bait then?

It is bait, but it's not inacurrate bait.

Hipster metal tends to lack the theatric element and/or fantasy/violence induced lyrics that typical metal has. Most doom is about depression or real world topics. Also hipster metal tends to not try to show the listener they are great at playing their instruments, so not as much wank as, say, megadeth.

some of the choices make sense for nu-male stuff (Sungazer, Pelican, maybe Jesu, and a heap of ones I don't recognise).
some of them really don't. Pantera and Megadeth especially, I mean they're far too well known, that's the kind of stuff kids start listening to in secondary/middle school just as they're getting into music, surely a hipster bug-man would think of them as too basic.
I agree with the other user that nu-males probably don't listen to Burzum, and if they do, they're the ones who feel compelled to denounce Varg in the comments section, when - not trying to be edgy here - I prefer ThuleanPerspective over his music. At least when he isn't going on about "we wuz neanderthals" and paleoanthropology he clearly doesn't understand.

Sure, it's not perfect. Like you said, Pantera, Megadeth make absolutely zero sense (especially Pantera), but it's mostly spot on. Nu males absolutely do listen to Burzum though, but they do feel the need to distance themselfs from Varg every chance they get to prove that they aren't "racist".

*Sunbather
didn't mean Sungazer. totally different thing.

Thats the whole point of the chart

sleep is not metal
but they are hipster as fuck yes

Fuck your buzzwords. Sleep isnt nu shit, sludge/doom metal used to actually mean something before faggot reviewers showed up on rym, etc.

Also this

What do you think about Boris, Baroness, Nails, Vektor, Type O Negative?

Elaborate please

Boris is definitely a band I can see hipsters claiming to be into, they might have it in their library, but hardly ever listen to it and probably never listened to Absolutego all the way through.
Boris themselves aren't hipster, but they just have that aesthetic and level of market visibility that draws hipsters to them like flies to shit.
Baroness, I bet they have a heap of fans who are hipster but again not all of their fans typically will be.
desu that's really the sum of my thoughts for most of these bands.

in order

good
bad
shit
a literal meme
bretty good

hipster = stuff i don't like

that is literally it

Explain
Also "a literal meme" doesn't say shit about the quality of their music

>there are "people" who still use the word nu male unironically

sleep was hipster in like 2001 how the fuck is it still hipster

I bet some people don't listen or give a chance to certain bands because of their fans. Maybe they even like the band, but don't listen to it to be "authentic"

hipster = stuff people i don't like listen to

ftfy

How can you guys listen to this, is so boring with such a slow tempo.

That just means you're a nu-male.

Thanks for the recs

Hipsters and normies don't like music thats above 130 bpm. Hipsters aren't bothered by dissonance though, so thats why they're drawn to slow/atmospheric metal

Actually good music and nice album covers

pretty good summary desu. i'd say hipsters like noise but they still like some underpinning melody though.

I enjoy the guitar tone, the hypnotic vibe, the breakdowns or whatever the fuck you call them i.e. it's not always monotonous

nu-males and hipsters are about 90% the same people, except hipsters are more focused on the arts whereas numales can be totally plebeian
they like anything that is devoid of testosterone

The furthest hipsters go with noise is Whitehouse, Prurient, Merzbow, Yellow Swans, Ramleh and arguably Deathpile.

Yeah I love grime
Also what the fuck you mean people call a lot of pizza thrash/hardcore punk/grindcore/black metal/etc nu male and hipster. It seems it's not about speed at all. As I see it, it's more about attitude, media coverage and image.

Generally that's a p gud description, but that doesn't explain why nu males love blackgaze with constant blastbeats.

This 100%
Pretty much why Sup Forums exists as it does today.

That's the worst fucking opinion out there, imo. How do you measure test in music? It's fucking autistic.

do you like Grimes?

What about bluesy proto-metal stuff?

Mr bungle is considered metal? I gotta get out from under my rock sometime.

Nah

in terms of testosterone, what's your opinion of Prince?

even ants are less predictable

well no shit you can't measure it, just like you can't measure "happiness" in music
the point still stands that nu-males are feminized men who don't actually like anything about testosterone. They grow the beard to compensate and that's it

This thread shows why the socialy inept average Sup Forumstant is socialy inept

Easy.
High t:
youtube.com/watch?v=EAZnHJ9-0EA
Low t:
youtube.com/watch?v=GfbLWHT7vUU
High t:
youtube.com/watch?v=J_27DRSCB6M
Low t:
youtube.com/watch?v=4PmCb9OiFYQ
High t:
youtube.com/watch?v=jYYr9q9F1-E
Low t:
youtube.com/watch?v=J9FPhpuNrwg

always saw him as a kind of high-test guy, and he wrote a song about pussy

Both equally immature, idiotic opinions

struck a nerve, underage? shouldn't you be in school by now?

You wouldn't consider colors hipster? That's a lot of wank, but I've only known pretentious fags to listen to it.

that's the point. it's a reminder to people in the thread that that's what people usually mean, hence any denouncing of music just because it's "hipster", is disingenuous.
if you choose what music to listen to based on what other people who listen to that music are like, and how it would reflect on you, you're doing music wrong. unless you're avoiding overtly political music i guess, that'd make sense.

Yep thats autistic

can gays be high-test as well?
what about frankie goes to hollywood?

what the fuck are you talking about

>Why sludge/stoner/doom are considered to be "hipster" metal sub-genres?
They are? I didn't know that. Who gives a shit?

And you take this as a fact just because it's on a chart made to troll people?

sleep is hipster af

I don't see why it would be. The differences are pretty clear.

I'm not the poster you're replying to but what exactly I think is autistic is "high-test aggressive music is for real man and soft music is for nu make pussies". This shit is dumb. Is folk music for pussies? Is funk/soul for pussies?

nothing manlier than wanting to fuck another dude

captcha: bent senorbi

i mean most of them were pretty butch

it's funny watching you guys try to label things you don't really understand

>Is folk music for pussies? Is funk/soul for pussies?
Yes, absolutely.

Trap is almost always up to 140 bpm.

>can gays be high-test as well?
Look at this face.

So what you basically are saying is that anything that is not metal with 130+bpm and angry vocals is nu male shit for pussies, am I right?

No, but folk/funk/soul are.

What about blues, punk, grind/extreme, garage rock, noise rock, post-hardcore, ambient, drill, rap, dub, reggae, jazz, different ethnic music?

>blues
boring
>punk
can be good
>grind/extreme
numale
>garage rock
boring
>noise rock
hipster
>post-hardcore
gay
>ambient
zzzzz
>drill, rap, dub, reggae, jazz, different ethnic music
niggers

anything else?

>blues
no
>punk
yes
>grind/extreme
varies
>garage rock
yes
>noise rock
varies
>post-hardcore
yes
>ambient
yes
>drill
when enjoyed by whites
>rap
when enjoyed by whites
>dub
no
>reggae
no one listens to reggae
>jazz
more fedora than numale
>ethnic music
yes

No, that's enough

>sludge
>lacking intensity
If you listen to nu sludge, sure, but something like Grief and Cough is anything but lacking in that regard.

>when enjoyed by whites
Explain

Niggers are low IQ/annoying, so when it's just whites hanging around listening to it on an iPhone it's not a big deal.

What do you mean by "nu-male" then?

low-t

everything you and those alike stand for

Elaborate

don't bother debating these subhumans, seriously.

Where's the fun in that?

hipsters often seem to only half like a band or a genre and this is what is the essence of metalheads not liking hipsters. Hipsters creaming themselves over dopethrone but then dont listen to any of their other albums or other stoner/doom bands. Then there is often this attitude of pretention of being "better" than metalheads because they care more about superficial innovation. This just throws the metalhead community back to the 80s when they were ridiculed all the time. Also the reason why there is gatekeeping.