Why the hell is this movie so good?

Why the hell is this movie so good?

Just watched it for the first time, cinematography alone was amazing. Any thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE\
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't like fairy tales so this series isn't for me.

Greatest of all Westerfus

The set design in these films are so fucking amazing, particularly in this one though.

>Why the hell is this movie so good?

>Henry Fonda as an evil motherfucker
this ALONE makes it worth watching with everything else just adding to it

I watched it for the first time last week it was pretty great the whole time. I liked frank more than harmonica and some segments with the girl and her little mexican lover were boring but still a total classic

its my favourite film, its just all around enjoyable, and the last duel is just insane

Sergio Leone

That's what happens when you make a movie that excels in everything.

Its classic of course.

Is anyone familiar with pictured movie by same director?

I can only pick three flaws with this film
>the "themes" for each character are played far too often
>Cheyenne dies
>The age difference between Bronson and Fonda

Yes. It's definitely better than at least the first two films in dollar trilogy.

Once Upon a Time in the West is obviously his best work though.

>implying A Few Dollars More is a bad film

Learn to read.

Yes, why is it so good? I lost interest in the plot around the halfway mark.

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly is far better.

But Duck you sucker! isn't very good, so to say it's better would imply that "A fistful" and "A few dollars" were bad films.

>But Duck you sucker! isn't very good

youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE\

>McBain?

I hate this movie.

It's Leone's worst work.

A serious argument could be made for this being the pinnacle of cinema.

I mean, I'm not the person to do it but this movie really blows me away every single time I watch it.

Fonda's villain is great. Not often does the good looking protag-typecast play an antagonist and Fonda nailed it

for a long time I'd always cite this as my favorite all around kino.

truthfully it's way too goddamn long.

I am literally watching this movie right now.

I would not call it amazing, the cimiatography is great tho.
I can see why this movie is almost 3 hours. Its so drawn out.

Only thing that I hate, and this is for every other Leone film is that all the sound is voiced over, and it has shit lip sync. Very annoying.

>Only thing that I hate, and this is for every other Leone film is that all the sound is voiced over, and it has shit lip sync
A product of its economic place and time

>I lost interest in the plot around the halfway mark.
I feel like there is some validity in this opinion. The first half is sort of incredibly strong and then we get to the section where henry fonda is explaining the plot with the mayor and it falls off a little bit. Everything up until that point is mysterious, interesting, and subtle, and suddenly it's made concrete and obvious.

Still a great film, but I also lean more towards The Good, The Badly, and The Ugly.

Most films are voiced over anyway cause onsite recording is shit, but at least its used for references.
Leone didnt even bother to do audio when filming, and half assed recording in the studio later. How hard is it to watch your own scene, and attempt to sync?

Puts a lot of faith, a LOT of faith, in the "power of cinema" as one might call it. The editing, sound design, the blocking, the framing in the shots, it all adds up to an almost overwhelming, stylized vision of the west. It felt lived-in, but no less beyond reality in the way it was presented.

It was the standard and the custom in Italy back then to dub. Audiences liked it for whatever reason, and it was easier to do on international co-productions like Leone's. He is Italian shooting in Spain with German crew members and American stars and producers.

This doesnt explain the piss poor lip syncing.
Was everyone speaking a different language when filming?

Sometimes, yes. I haven't seen Once Upon yet but in his Dollars Trilogy most of the non-stars were Spanish or German and spoke that on set, then dubbed into Italian, English etc