Now that we're in a Trump era, can we all agree Batman v Superman is a great movie in retrospective?

Now that we're in a Trump era, can we all agree Batman v Superman is a great movie in retrospective?

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/dceu-movies-superman-trump-brexit/
vimeo.com/189876347
youtube.com/watch?v=edluHmycqfw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Could you elaborate what did you mean by this?

I only watched the trailer of the movie and I have a shallow understanding of comic superhero characters.

I know that superman is an alien and is vulnerable to some rock
I know that batman is a rich guy in a suit that fights crime without shooting them.

Why would a shift in political culture change the fact that a bad movie is bad?

It changes everything.
This movie was dimmed too testosterone filled and not politically correct, now that with Trump MAGA happening people may finally start to appreciate it in a new light.

Trump victory is antithesis to moral code of Batman v Superman

No surprise low IQ trump voters would misunderstand this however.

Its going to be the other way around dumbo. The things Sup Forums has liked these last months have been pro-Trump, what coming now is the contrarian shift.

Another user posted this yesterday...

>The World Needs The Man of Steel & DCEU Now More Than Ever
screenrant.com/dceu-movies-superman-trump-brexit/

Email movie character setups stay email movie character setups.
The generic end of the world CGI monster stays the generic end of the world CGI monster.
The on the nose biblical symbolism stays on the nose biblical symbolism.
Martha! stays Martha!
The whole third act stays like it is.

No political environment could change those things.

>Self-copypasta...

Superman is the idealistic liberal who believed too much in the goodness of others and got burned for it because while progress has been made there are still too many assholes in the world.

Batman is the conservative leaning or moderate middle America white guy who the world shit on so he got easily manipulated into being angsty, angry and blaming and fighting the wrong guy to his own detriment.

Wonder Woman is the independent too frustrated to care enough, generally uninvolved, and just said fuck it and the world and will only show up in the end when its nearly too late.

Lex Luthor is Trump. A mentally ill sociopath trust fund manchild who thinks the world and everyone else's lives is a video game and weaseled his way into a position where he'll end up fucking everyone over, even the side that supported him.

>liberal
stopped reading

Does anyone have the screencaps of journalists giving BvS a poor score because it was too masculine and fascist?

I didn't watch the theatrical cut. Only the Ultimate. And I thought it was excellent. Was the theatrical cut really that poor or did people overreact because they desperately wanted something to shit on?

you should also stop posting

im a huge batman fan man but this movie sucked, im also a trump supporter but this does not change the fact this movie was awful man...have you read the comic book it was supposedly loosely based on? they botched it big time. the animated movie does a better job. this movie just sucked.

>Good Americans turn cruel
>Beat Doomsday at a terrible cost
>Now realize the reality of the world, unite, and move forward into the sun

maybe if the nation got collectively dumber then the plot will seem better, is that what you're saying? I guess, then.

The Monster is the hardcore Trump Supporter (TrumpCuck). A bumfuck retarded rage retard built by Trump, combining his manchild blood with the dead body of a fascist. The Trumpcuck Monster's only real purpose is to serve as a distraction as Luthor/Trump fulfills his real goal of destroying everyone..

>being this butthurt

don't kys yet, I'm loving all the salt

>A mentally ill sociopath
literally hillary clinton

you people are fucking crazy

you should try to love a witty comeback once in a while, otherwise people realize you can't handle the bantz and you're just replying in desperation hoping to project your own salt

come on trumpcuck, make your posts great again, try to be clever, not every reply can be the same one liner about salt we you post every time

Not even the guy you're responding to, but I'm loving how salty you are. Keep it up.

It's a great movie regardless of any era

not unless we put the great movie bar on the floor

Marvel put the bar there. Snyder lifted it up but the plebs hated him for it. Best superhero film since TDK.

How did snyder manage to make BvS such an incomprehensible mess when he'd already made it once before?

Batman shoots a lot of people in the movie.

Either you're dumb as fuck or you didn't watch the Ultimate Cut.

>he couldn't keep up with BvS
>he couldn't keep up with fucking Watchmen
This is why Marvel movies are successful. How dumb does one have to be to be overwhelmed by fucking superhero movies?

I'd say it's the most important film about the post-9/11 American psyche. People are wrong to proscribe political ideologies to either Superman or Batman. Rather than liberals or conservatives, these characters represent dueling approaches to America's role in the world.

Superman is the pre 9/11 American dream - an all-powerful shining light on a hill, leading the world to a better future. However, this power is frightening. People are, quite reasonably, scared that a world led by an all powerful alien will lead to the end of their own personal autonomy. Likewise, many people grow complacent and demand Superman solve all of their problems. Compare this to America's status in world affairs. Although American power has a great deal to offer the developing world, many people, like Islamic terrorists, lash out at America and the modernity it represents because they are worried that this progress will leave them behind. Conversely, some Sub-Saharan African countries have failed to develop any degree of self sufficiency because they are dependent on (largely American) foreign aid. Although Superman (and America) has a nominally positive impact on the world, there are real concerns that this is setting up long-term problems.

Compare this to Batman's shattered post-9/11 psyche. His losses (the Waynes, Robin, etc.) are certainly real, but it's lead him to become cruel and paranoid. He kills at will, he is unconcerned with collateral damage, and he views "good" Superman with unreasonable suspicion. This mirrors America's own path after the 9/11 terrorist attacks - erosion of civil liberties, torture, and massive civilian casualties. America, like Batman, justifies this descent into darkness by saying it's a consequence of harsh times - but it's clear to everyone else (Alfred, the Gotham PD officer that tips Clark to the branding) that returns are diminishing and the result is far from justice.

(1/3)

The conflict of these ideologies is exacerbated by opportunists like Lex (Soros, the globalist banking cabal, SJWs) who are motivated more by nihilism and financial/emotional profit than a genuine interest in improving the world. If you notice, virtually all of the inciting incidents of the fight between Batman and Superman are orchestrated by Lex (the murder of branded prisoners, the African massacre). If the two had only listened to each other from the get-go, they might have avoided conflict entirely. But instead they take the bait, and the result is death and destruction. Likewise, the conflict between pre-9/11 American idealism and post-9/11 American cynicism has produced a seemingly endless "War on Terror," which has already caused hundreds of thousands of deaths and the displacement of millions - on top of a decidedly weaker position for America in global affairs.

Snyder shows us a way to heal the wounds of 9/11. Note the Capitol Bombing aftermath, when Superman tries to assist the rescuers. An EMT politely asks Superman to step back and give him some room to work. The idea of a blue collar rescuer asking an invincible demigod to take a few steps back is absurd on its face, but it also illustrates the key flaw in Superman’s approach. By constantly intervening, he sometimes creates more problems than he solves. The Pa Kent vision sequence later hammers this point home, as Pa relays the story of how he saved a farm, but inadvertently drowned all of his neighbor’s horses. He didn’t do a bad thing, by any means, but his limited perspective led to tragedy. America, like Superman, is all powerful. But neither are all knowing. By take a step back and allowing the world to solve most of its problems organically, America and Superman can prevent needless death and destruction.

(2/3)

It's a still a gay shit movie

who'd've thunk it!

The election of Donald Trump proves that audiences were receptive to Snyder’s vision. Trump’s foreign policy promises an end to the destructive intervention of the Bush/Obama years, with occasional moral interludes to solve pressing issues (like defeating ISIS). No longer will we prop up corrupt regimes, like Saudi Arabia, in order to accomplish some larger, amorphous, geopolitical goal. Rather we will turn our attention inward (infrastructure improvements and protectionist trade policies), giving the world a model to aspire to, but not worship. Peace (Superman) and strength (Batman) working together in harmony. Snyder truly is a visionary, and I am glad that I am alive to see his vision become reality. It’s also very important that he chose to deliver this message through the most accessible and unpretentious means available to filmmakers - the superhero blockbuster. By elevating the genre into something that, through its overt religious imagery and philosophical themes, contributes to the growth of American popular culture, Snyder has fired the first shot (and hopefully final) against the banal consumerism of the Marvel/Disney industrial complex. Batman v. Superman is 100% pure kino - the perfect blend of politics and art.

[kino intensifies]

I will never not enjoy reading analysis of BvS

>Now that we're in a Trump era, can we all agree Batman v Superman is a great movie in retrospective?

actually a pretty good point.... i bet you if the movie was released in 6 months, it would be (probably not a HUGE hit) but substantially more popular than today.

>[America] has a nominally positive impact on the world
>imblyingggggggggggggggggggggggggg

these shots are so fucking gorgeous

>americans are literally this retarded

it was a gargabe tone deaf movie

What do you mean when you say Superman is all-powerful? What I got from the film is that Superman is all-good. But he doesn't become all-powerful. It's in fact Batman that completes him in the end. I think Superman is an icon who is all-good but must not be assumed to be all-powerful. For the all-powerful leave no room for the flawed to improve.

Tone deaf in the way that it refused to submit itself to politically correct standards of the time but rather gave us the story we needed to hear rather than the one we wanted to hear.

Anyone who thinks the Watchmen movie is good apart from visuals needs to gunned down in the street.

Shitskins are the ones that praise it and based trump wants to get rid of shitskins

>What do you mean when you say Superman is all-powerful? What I got from the film is that Superman is all-good. But he doesn't become all-powerful. It's in fact Batman that completes him in the end. I think Superman is an icon who is all-good but must not be assumed to be all-powerful. For the all-powerful leave no room for the flawed to improve.

I mean that, by human standards, he is "all-powerful." He's invulnerable to physical harm (outside of the presence of an mineral not found on Earth), can fly, shoot heat out of his eyes, etc.

I agree with you that he's "all-good" but the film shows us that this isn't enough for perfect outcomes. In order to do that - one must have power but choose to exercise it with restraint. This is one of the reasons I love Man of Steel, which charts Superman's ethical origin story, rather than the boring traditional one.

I don't, but go check out RT. You won't have to look for long.

Yes.

>quote unquote "trump era"

You are talking about the same libcuck Donald Trump from the 2000s right?

Maybe if BvS was released in an era where journalists were not exclusively consisting of thin-skinned liberals, the film would've fared better. It had an uphill battle to fight from the start. A modern critic sees BvS and is immedietaly alarmed by its underlying conservative tone. Just a few months before election too! Bury it. The masses must not be exposed to wrongthink. Mock those that enjoyed it. Spread the narrative that the movie is incoherent simply because you refused to pay attention. Urge people to watch PC Marvel instead. All for the sake of politics.

This. Especially when he renegs of can't do anything he proposed. He'll be as effective at bringing change as Obama if not less so.

Here's the funny thing - the theatrical cut left a lot of gaps for the audience to fill in. The Ultimate Cut filled them all in exactly the way fans of the theatrical said it would, almost without exception.

>that image
What do you think the average age of someone posting it is? I'm 100% its under the age of 19

Not at all. even with the ultimate cut its extremely bloated. Horrendously edited. Poorly cast. Baldly acted. Lazily written. Painstakingly dull. Unbelievably boring. Unnecessarily broody. Terribly paced. And that is just the first hour, there is still two more hours left.

The shear number of pointless subplots are simply staggering. Plot holes? You mean mystery elements. The fact that someone read the script and decided it was worthy of spending over 250 million to bring it to the screen boggles my mind. This is what happens when you take five different scripts that have no sense of correlation. Did editing and streamlining the story not cross anyone's mind.

The production is big on making terrible decisions and this is clearly evident in the casting. Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luther is laughably bad giving his rejected Social Network performance as twitching Mark Zuckerberg. Gal Gadot is by far the biggest miscast. Most people complained when she cast due to her poor physicality and zero resemblance to Wonder Woman. Those points are fine, but the biggest drawback is that she's frankly not a good actress. She has the emotional range of a potato. Her big reveal in costume is complete with a 'cool' guitar rift like it's some Robert Rodriguez film. During action scene she is replaced by her cgi double which obviously looks bigger and muscular in comparison to Gal Gadot's actual physical appearance. I just couldn't help by have a good chuckle at that.

I appreciate your interpretation, but have you considered the possibility that the film(and MoS) are making Superman representative of Islamic nuclear powers like Pakistan and Iran?

The biggest misstep in the entire production is the appointment of Zack Snyder as director. It seem like he just walked of the set of making Watchmen and nobody seemed to tell him that he wasn't contracted to direct a lackluster patchwork Watchmen sequel. An opening scene that features Jeffrey Dean Morgan being killed with a slo-mo shot of a shell casing exiting a gun; the government against masked vigilantes, a powerful god-like superhuman figure; a man that dresses in a black costume and fights crime with gadgets coming out of retirement; the death of a famous hero; not one, but three funeral scenes. How is this not recycling elements of Watchmen.

Zack Snyder has the inability to direct scenes where no action takes place and he can't mask it with stylish cgi backgrounds like he did in 300. Simply put when there's no explosions it dull and boring. Simple character interactions prove to be a struggle for a director who still gets his philosophy for his movies from teenage web forums. Religious references that completely lack subtlety and elegance doesn't make you movie 'intellectual'.

Other grievances include: a scene and a plot point that revolves around urine; Lex Luther's so called evil plan; Knightmare; a hyped fight that just ends up being a normal fistfight; and actual teaser trailers for future movies in the franchise.

>can't do anything he proposed

Why the hell not? The GOP now runs literally every branch of government.

This post says literally nothing but "I didn't like it".

Except the Gal Gadot part. She must've sucked some mad Snyder cock.

great post tremendous insight

Capeshitters need to go back to ribbit.

I have and they are interesting, but I think that Snyder's background (an American Jew) and politics make those theories unlikely. Most of the symbolism in the film is overtly American and Judeo-Christian - the most natural explanation is that the film relates to those topics.

Snyder's not Jewish. Not even close. He was raised Christian Scientist.

it was deemed as having a hilarious script, terrible acting from the 2 jews, and a corporate dick injection of extended universe scenes and cgi rock monsters kys fake republican

trump is a social liberal and an economic conservative, its the gop that doesnt agree with him

That shirt is boss.

Is this Armond? It should be anyway.

You are not me. Fuck off pretending you are.

Nope, just wrote it earlier in the week and have been playing with it for the last few days

can someone screencap this bullshit for me? I'm a lazy cunt

I'm the author - I'll fix the formatting and repost in a few minutes.

It's not my fault you have no idea who Trump actually is you underage scum

Moar tears pls

Do it yourself user, make America great again.

love you

the trailer was better than the movie itself lmao

I'd say it's the most important film about the post-9/11 American psyche. People are wrong to proscribe political ideologies to either Superman or Batman. Rather than liberals or conservatives, these characters represent dueling approaches to America's role in the world.

Superman is the pre 9/11 American dream - an all-powerful shining light on a hill, leading the world to a better future. However, this power is frightening. People are, quite reasonably, scared that a world led by an all powerful alien will lead to the end of their own personal autonomy. Likewise, many people grow complacent and demand Superman solve all of their problems. Compare this to America's status in world affairs. Although American power has a great deal to offer the developing world, many people, like Islamic terrorists, lash out at America and the modernity it represents because they are worried that this progress will leave them behind. Conversely, some Sub-Saharan African countries have failed to develop any degree of self sufficiency because they are dependent on (largely American) foreign aid. Although Superman (and America) has a nominally positive impact on the world, there are valid concerns that this is setting up long-term problems.

Compare this to Batman's shattered post-9/11 psyche. His losses (the Waynes, Robin, etc.) are certainly real, but they have lead him to become cruel and paranoid. He kills at will, he is unconcerned with collateral damage, and he views "good" Superman with unreasonable suspicion. This mirrors America's own path after the 9/11 terrorist attacks - erosion of civil liberties, torture, and massive civilian casualties. America, like Batman, justifies this descent into darkness by saying it's a consequence of harsh times - but it's clear to everyone else (Alfred, the Gotham PD officer that tips Clark to the branding) that returns are diminishing and the result is far from justice.

(1/3)

Just like how when people bitched about Obama it was tears huh?

The conflict of these ideologies is exacerbated by opportunists like Lex (Soros, the globalist banking cabal, SJWs) who are motivated more by nihilism and financial/emotional profit than a genuine interest in improving the world. If you notice, virtually all of the inciting incidents of the fight between Batman and Superman are orchestrated by Lex (The murder of branded prisoners, the African massacre, Congressional interference, etc.). If the two had only listened to each other from the get-go, they might have avoided conflict entirely. But instead they take the bait, and the result is death and destruction. Likewise, the conflict between pre-9/11 American idealism and post-9/11 American cynicism has produced an endless "War on Terror," which has already caused hundreds of thousands of deaths and the displacement of millions - on top of a decidedly weaker position for America in global affairs.

Snyder shows us a way to heal the wounds of 9/11. Note the Capitol Bombing aftermath, when Superman tries to assist the rescuers. An EMT politely asks Superman to step back and give him some room to work. The idea of a blue collar rescuer asking an invincible demigod to take a few steps back is absurd on its face, but it also illustrates the key flaw in Superman’s approach. By constantly intervening, he sometimes creates more problems than he solves. The Pa Kent vision sequence later hammers this point home, as Pa relays the story of how he saved a farm, but inadvertently drowned all of his neighbor’s horses. He didn’t do a bad thing, by any means, but his limited perspective led to tragedy. America, like Superman, is all powerful. But neither are all knowing. By taking a step back and allowing the world to solve most of its problems organically, America and Superman can prevent needless death and destruction.

(2/3)

>the trailer was better than the movie itself lmao
wrong

People didn't fucking go out and smash windows the night Obama was elected.

Likewise, Batman (more Captain Ahab than Avenging Angel) is inadvertently fueling conflict as he tries to stop it. He even admits as much to Alfred later in the film - saying that criminals are like weeds and that all of his crime fighting efforts are for naught if he doesn’t solve more fundamental problems. However, his paranoia blinds him to what those problems actually are. Instead of focusing on Lex and the globalist profiteering he represents, he instead targets street-level criminals (ISIS, the Taliban, North Korea) or, even worse, idealists like Superman (ACLU, Assange, peaceful protest movements). Batman gains a higher purpose through Superman’s sacrifice, which causes him to implement his “no-kill” rule. Instead of a “war,” Batman’s mission becomes a moral crusade tempered by mercy. So too must America lose its cynicism and reconnect with the idealism that made it great in the first place.

The election of Donald Trump proves that audiences were receptive to Snyder’s vision. Trump’s foreign policy promises an end to the destructive intervention of the Bush/Obama years, with occasional moral interludes to solve pressing issues (like defeating ISIS). No longer will we prop up corrupt regimes, like Saudi Arabia, in order to accomplish some larger geopolitical goal. Rather we will turn our attention inward (infrastructure improvements and protectionist trade policies), giving the world a model to aspire to, but not worship. Peace (Superman) and strength (Batman) working together in harmony.

Snyder truly is a visionary, and I am glad that I am alive to see his vision become reality. It’s also very important that he chose to deliver this message through the most accessible and unpretentious means available to filmmakers - the superhero blockbuster. Using overt religious imagery and philosophical themes, Snyder elevates the genre into something that actually contributes to the growth of American popular culture.

(3/3)

no, its not. I dont usually say this for exaggeration and shit but BvS is the only movie that gave me a headache and made me just want to leave.

I know I'm not you. I just see it that way, too.

Personally, I think BvS is about role models. It's the role models that have shaped the three main characters and it is their role models that set the stage for conflict.

For Superman, he ironically had the most human upbringing, with Jonathan Kent being a vital role model. He learns to forgive mankind early on and becomes an inspiring character. For Wayne, it is the lack of role model that molds him. He desperately attempts to compensate for the role models he lacked by viciously cracking down on the criminals that took his icons from him. And lastly, there is Lex, who had a twisted role model and therefore is twisted himself.

One has the ideal role model, one lacks a role model and the third has an evil role model. In BvS, there are a couple of scenes that play almost back-to-back. In all those scenes, there is a fireplace. And each role model is represented through such a scene. For Kent, it's him knowing that Jonathan is always with him. For Wayne, it's the cold and dark nothing that his father left him. And for Lex it's the impressive display but twisted beneath showing. There is even a painting on top of his fireplace with devils descending on man.

I don't have the shot of all three fireplaces but they mirror each other pretty well and they display the (or the lack of) role models that shape three main characters. I think it's a nice touch. Superman himself is an icon but he is an icon to mankind that has also been shaped by mankind. A God amongst men.

Who is Lex's role model?

That's why I love this movie so much. There's just so much going on on so many different levels.

his frequently absent father

His father. Every boy's role model is his father. In the movie, it is revealed that Lex's father used to hit and abuse him.

Screencaped

His father, whom he talks about in glowing terms to everyone but Superman.

Alright. Interdusting.

What if in 20 years BvS actually becomes a cult classic?

vimeo.com/189876347

youtube.com/watch?v=edluHmycqfw

Then why do you lack the cinematic knowledge to say it?

Thanks! I'm adding it to my collection. I don't agree with it completely, but it's fascinating to see other peoples' takes on what the characters represent.

sometimes we cannot speak as eloquently as what our hearts sing, user

It took Blade Runner a Director's Cut and a few years before people started to appreciate it. These things take time. I honestly don't mind care if the public ever accepts BvS or not. It had an enough impact on me and that's enough.

No, child of Sup Forums

Would you mind dumping a few? I'm trying to put together a larger essay on BvS. Additional perspectives are always helpful

I don't. I've said it many times.

I've talked about how I think it's genius to create a world where the Batman's a pre-existent vigilante because it simultaneously gives a nod to the pulp heroes that inspired his character and how the coming of the superhero was a game-changer for the genre, while also providing commentary on how the Batman, arguably the DC character that most benefited from the grit and "realism" that accompanied the deconstructionist era and heralded the comic book revolution of the "X-treme 90s," was simultaneously the "death" of more mythic characters like Superman. By dropping Superman into an ostensibly "real," Nolan-esque universe, it highlights how a character like him is a poor fit for such a setting. His death arc is repurposed into something with real narrative weight, being the sacrifice it takes to elevate a darker, grimmer reality into a new Heroic Age, complete with gods, monsters, and magic, none of which the Batman was even aware of at the start of the story.

I've talked about how there are carry-over themes from MoS to BvS, such as Superman not understanding how terrifyingly easy it is to become an object of worship rather than a symbol of hope. I've talked about how this is entirely foreshadowed in the bus rescue in MoS, where Clark panics along with the other children, does even more than was necessary, and his actions end up getting interpreted as the actions of a god.

I've talked about how it's brilliant that Clark's growing maturation is presented as a slow process instead of a cliched epiphany, and how the importance of wisdom and maturity aren't downplayed. Even in his thirties, he's still reflecting on the lessons of his childhood and understanding them differently as he grows into wisdom.

I've talked about it all many times.

For all the Marvel cucks out there - note that none of your pathetic flicks are ever discussed, debated, or criticized any later than a month after their release.

The polarized stances people take on MoS and BvS are signs of these films' significant depth.

>For all the Marvel cucks out there - note that none of your pathetic flicks are ever discussed, debated, or criticized any later than a month after their release.

Civil War disproves that argument bud.