I don't get it. What albums do i need to listen before this one?

I don't get it. What albums do i need to listen before this one?

is entry level jazz, if somehow you can' get it then jazz is not the music for you

Try this.

I'm sure Jazz fans will get around to justifying their elitism at some point

this set the bar too high for me. astonishing stuff. coltrane's best imo

Honestly when it comes to Avant Garde and Spiritual jazz, it might just take time to get use to, but it’s best not to listen with you’re mind. Listen with you’re emotions and let it just take you on a journey. Let the soloist tell their stories and see if you like the theme/chorus

Listen to early jazz (Fletcher Henderson, Duke Ellington, Bix Beiderbecke, Art Tatum, Louis Armstrong, etc) and then work your way up to bebop. This is the only correct way.

It's a pretty bad starting point. Listen to some easier jazz first.

Its a good album to listen for background music.

Just listen to Ascension

what the fuck is wrong with you

what's some easier jazz?

Pic related and Head Hunters are the first jazz albums i liked.

Might be a bit too laid back for you, give Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Mingus a try, and then explore more Hard Bop from there, Giant Steps by Coltrane is a must listen, and is a lot more accessible than A Love Supreme.

>b-tier quality jazz
basically his most accessible

Just revisit it in a few months, next time you remember it exists or find yourself humming something from it. That's my technique for learning to appreciate albums I didn't like the first time, and it has a high success rate for me.

>Jazz
>elitist
Jazz was originally considered sloppy, grimey, rebellious music. It was the punk of its day. The fact that jazz is considered elitist now just shows how far popular music has fallen.

Rebellious music is often elitist. (See: punk rock.)

Listen to Mingus Ah Um by Charles Mingus and any album by Thelonious Monk

It's a reconciliation of the more traditional bop style with the burgeoning free jazz, so I suggest listening to essential stuff of both genres to understand their structure and method, So for bebop and hard bop there'd be Monk, Mingus, Parker, Bird, Bud and on free jazz you'd have Coleman, Tristiano,Taylor, Ayler etc. Lastly listen to the key cuts of both Coltrane's discography and his work with other musicians like Davis. Kind of Blue, Bluetrain, Giant Steps, My Favorite Things, Africa/Brass and Live at the Village Vanguard to show you his progression as a soloist and him formulating and developing ideas like his sheet of sounds.

Listen to this beautiful man.
If you don't like his stuff then you don't like Jazz.