Why are Britbongs the best at modern music?

Is it depression?

'modern' ended a long time ago. The British weren't strong culture exporters at the time, France and the US were the power houses. Japan is the big culture producer right now, along with the US and South Korea is a growing power. Austerity in the West has had a very negative effect on creative industries which is why progressive work is rare here.

>british

They're not.

It's the depression

>Is it depression?
Yes. If you had to live here you would feel the same way.

Maybe it is the bad weather and cheap alcohol. Britain does have quite a lot of poverty left over from the industrial periods as well as a hugely diverse population so songs are important here to have any idea what is going on and get through the day. Music is in decline in Britain which may be attributed to the last depression when private bank's needed to be underwritten with public funds.

>Austerity in the West has had a very negative effect on creative industries which is why progressive work is rare here.
It isn't purely austerity. The list of upheavals goes on.

We arent, music has been totally dead here for the last five years.

Austerity is the farthest reaching one. Was never gonna go into detail about it. Not going to waste that much effort when the average poster here's discussion literacy goes as far as "I like this so is good and best" or "Britain makes best modern music".

depression is great for art. I've always observed that the best art is born of extreme emotion, be it positive or negative.

It shouldn't have been, poverty alone doesn't explain it.

Yeah for so, Britain does feel like the land of apathy a lot of the time though so go figure

It's a millennial thing.

*for sure

>proof

The british (and europeans in general) put a greater emphasis on arts in the school system than america so it might be part of the reason.
Depression is likely too.

It really does, though. Governments cut funding from creative industries to bail out banks. People working in creative industries have no funding and can't work. Can't make anything. Music gets off easiest in comparison to other arenas, but it still gets hit. A lot of mental health issues also emerge from not being able to do the thing you do and it leads to inactivity as well.
Really hard to make things when you can't afford the equipment to make them.

>n arts in the school system than america so it mi
Really?

Its because of our universities. That's why Manchester is such a large exporter of music, because the Royal Northern College of Music is there.

>It really does, though.
Nah.

Honestly no. Britain has a notoriously terrible education system.

>observable facts about Western countries and their budgets adversely affecting those working in creative fields
>an issue that is being talked about as a huge problem in literally every Western country
>"nah"
Don't enter discussions, you don't know how information works.

>>observable facts about Western countries and their budgets adversely affecting those working in creative fields
>>an issue that is being talked about as a huge problem in literally every Western country
>>"nah"
>Don't enter discussions, you don't know how information works.
Music doesn't talk it screams

several reasons but the main ones are
the uk is fucking tiny, miniscule, and ideas and scenes grow here instead of being flattened out by another 50 states
the uk is imperialist as fuck and has a strange mix of people some of whom have been here for generations but still mainatin a distinct culture within the uk
the uk until recently had a pretty functional unemployment benefits system and whole scenes were born from it (like punk, indie)

>Music doesn't talk it screams
so you don't understand information, thanks for proving my point.
Show me how someone with no income, no reasonable living space and no equipment can make music and then explain how this awkward method allows for entire nations of people to consistently make progressive work. You do know that there's a huge homelessness issue in Western Europe, right? And massive unemployment? Where are these magical superhero music people you've dreamed up getting houses and equipment from? And how are they managing to live otherwise? The casual audience doesn't even care about new music, there's not even market space for more than a small handful of acts who almost exclusively are from families within the higher income brackets.
>no music is a magic thing that special people have a propensity for and then they magically summon recordings of sounds regardless of the financial requirements for doing so or the time required or the need for a place to create it
kys

>kys
After many attempts I am opposed to suicide

>Japan is the big culture producer right now
really?

The US grosses the most industry wise, but so far as influence goes Japan is strong as fuck right now.
2017 has seen Japanese films getting way more international theatrical releases, Japanese bands are touring way more than ever before and Japanese fashion has broken into major high street stores. Japan even took over the casual pro wrestling audience this year.

>And massive unemployment?
Not in the UK, employment figures are quite good. Salaries are very low for a lot of people though, the UK has a very uneven distribution of wealth.

I didn't know that
here in southern yurop there's nothing japanese besides videogames

>Not in the UK, employment figures are quite good
What numbers are you looking at? Are you taking the lists that count people on unemployment schemes as employed?

Always thought southern Europe got the most weeb shit. All the manga comes out in everything other than English, or so I'm told.
But yeah, seeing a lot of Japanese films here, mostly anime but it's a thing. I honestly think weeb culture on the internet just bled out into the marketplace.

>Always thought southern Europe got the most weeb shit. All the manga comes out in everything other than English, or so I'm told.
we had lots of anime on tv in the 1980-2010 mainly aimed at kids but now it's mostly gone, there's a lot of weeb shit but it's mostly a niche, it hardly makes it into mainstream

>huge homelessness issue in Western Europe, right?
Yes but I'm not sure this is causing a lack of music apart from as an overall picture of a top heavy nepotistic land fragmented culturally, religiously and politically. It's more a symptom than a cause.

>Modern music
Wrong, the British ruled the roost in the 60s and 70s but their offerings of the 21st century so far have mostly just been pathetic renditions of what came before.

Ah, I wonder if that has to do with translating costs. I'd say the anglo market is an easier investment.

Social conditions and massive cuts to funding are the big contributers, as well as the smallest audience music has ever had on a local level thanks to 'new music' not being popular with casual people. Really hard to get traction when music scenes are now tiny and inclusive - more so than ever before.

>being this rockist

Im rockist and even I know that theres more music than rock

>are now tiny and inclusive - more so than ever before.
don't you mean exclusive?

Cultural confidence and a certain regard for eccentricity. Theres always some sort of weird, awkward thing about all the best British bands that give them their character.

Burgerland is not so accepting of any deviation from the formula, its a nation of Mike Loves.

A majority of American bands that were any good were well received in Britain when they couldn't get booked in the US and subsequently got re-imported.

>Social conditions and massive cuts to funding are the big contributers
I think a lot of it is

a) technology has fucked up music for a long time now

b) the taste-makers of the 90's never let go so a generation got skipped

c) Being bombed every other day of the week. EDL and ISIS was the new rock n' roll.

>What numbers are you looking at? Are you taking the lists that count people on unemployment schemes as employed?
Not the guy you're replying to, but do you have a link to the actual figure that counts people on shitty dole schemes?

doesn't count* I should've said

kurt cobain was american you nig nog
cobain, hendrix, and elliott smith are three american musicians that basically outdo any british musician in their class

so I guess a better question is why does the pacific northwest pump out the best musicians? is it the depression?