Beautiful films

What are some beautiful films?

And why is it that the most beautiful films are also the most sorrowful? Pic related, 3 hours of of a mistreated, alienated melancholic; puts Trier's Melancholia to shame.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Black_Rainbow
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who was in the wrong here?

Days of Heaven

Everyone. Her mother put doubt and fear into her mind, so she couldn't tell him the truth outright. Angel was a hypocrite who couldn't bear having a wife below his fantasized ideal nor below his own perceived self. And finally, he was right when he says she's no longer the woman she was prior to telling him her past, and thus, really, the virtuous thing would have been continuing along, neglecting to tell him. But that would have meant telling a lie to herself, something her stubbornness would never allow. She chose suffering instead of the everyday ideal, and that's her fault and no one else's.

Barry Lyndon

Have you meme-spewing imbecile even watched a single film in your entire life?

Yes

Geoffrey Unsworth is my all time favourite DP.

Possibly the most beautiful frame in all of cinema.

It blows my mind every time just how many frames straight up look like paintings, and this frame is definitely the pinnacle of that.

Kubrick definitely did his research regarding the composition of paintings around that era, but especially the lighting is so goddamn impressive. Getting that warm soft look, the dusty light coming in, it's just, hnnng, perfect.

How much did he shoot? Wiki page for Tess says he died before before filming completed and someone else shot the rest, mostly interior. Can't say I noticed any jarring discrepancies in the cinematography, however.

Totally. I think of all Kubrick's cinematic strong points (and he has many), the main guiding force is his taste. The guy knows what does and what doesn't work.

From what I know he shot the vast majority of the footage was shot by Unsworth except from the odd pick up shot and a few interior scenes that Polanski wanted.

Of course Alcott (DOP on Barry Lyndon) took over from Unsworth (DOP on Tess) on 2001 when he had to leave the shoot for another commitment.

Both these guys state Kubrick is the greatest lighting cameraman in the business.

Not kidding here, I saw this picture in another thread some time ago and I was sure it was a period painting. Need to rewatch this masterpiece.

I enjoyed Alatriste for the same reason, you should check it out.

Based Viggo plays in it.

see, i could just watch and enjoy these films and not really care about whether i ''''''understand'''''' the plot or direction etc.

just letting the visuals roll over me.

post more please /kinobros/

maria bava is criminally underrated.
nice one, my man.

Hadn't heard of that one user, thanks, I'll check it out

I always loved this. So many shots in this film do indeed look like paintings.

Damn, this looks like a frame from a Kurosawa film......

>beautiful films?
I forgot Sup Forums is full of plebs who actually belong in technical graphics board.

Bitch deserved to go crazy after pulling that shit

At least put in a Greenaway if you want to talk about Caravaggio/Baroque influences in films

I visit Sup Forums, their intelligence levels don't warrant such a discussion.

>blue and orange
Is this a joke?

It's better than tinted brown with shades of green.

gorgeous m8
RIP in peace 70mm and Technicolor productions such as this.

Fuck Pauline Kael for almost killing David Lean's career

What other cinematographers achieve this soft blurry look that Kaminski is known for?

That final shot has to be one of my all time favourites

this is garbage mate

No one asked you what your shit looks like.

is there more to this movie than the visuals? it seems pretty hollow otherwise.

fantastic film

>hollow
It does Eleven better than Stranger Things, and yet people slobbered all over that without even hearing of this

>DUDE ORANGE AND BLUE FILTERS LMAO
that's some patrician quality b8 my friend

"better than stranger things" isn't a strong standard

Maybe not, but the majority audience sees worthwhile elements in it and tout many aspects (like the character of Eleven) to high acclaim.

The wiki page for the film goes into the themes and references the director's thoughts and motivation surrounding it and there definitely seems to be more behind it than just "visuals". Good, short read if you're actually interested: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Black_Rainbow