Is there a better animated film than this? or have I just watched the peak of traditional animation?

is there a better animated film than this? or have I just watched the peak of traditional animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ysCS1NB0zE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFD7Tk8Kps
youtu.be/cfZhNVOnn9A
youtube.com/watch?v=10wV05aNu9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I bet you haven't even seen the ant bully

Yeah, I watched this once, surprised how good it was. It's the only Miyazaki movie I had interest in because it looked like it had giant monsters

I wish I hadn't

if you enjoyed princess mononoke at least try out castle in the sky & spirited away.

How does it hold up against Akira, animation wise?

I remember this scene in Akira where the police are dispersing rioters or something and they use smoke grenades. It happens under a small bridge thing and the animation of the smoke billowing from under this concave bridge still, to this day, blows my mind.

Russian animation > Japanese childish garbage

Fact.

Those aren't bad but not nearly as good. Mononoke has better visuals, a better story, a better soundtrack, pretty much better everything.

Very close but arguably better. Miyazaki used no in betweeners so every frame is perfect and the whole thing is smooth as hell.

nothing compares to akira in terms of animation, literally. it's a masterpiece of art.

but I think princess mononoke has better storytelling. and the animation while inferior is still pretty incredible (but all of miyazaki's movies are, so that's not saying much)

Spirited Away is better than Mononoke, though.

I feel like castle in the sky has a better story, and spirited away is far more evocative.

but in terms of the best all-around movie, princess mononoke is indeed the best.

but they're all awesome films.

How many anime threads do you Sup Forumsedditors have to make here?

Fuck off back to

It's not only my opinion.

the secret ingredient to a miyazaki film is the music. while spirited away & princess mononoke are all classics, even the worst miyazaki films are extremely enjoyable to watch because joe hisaishi is a genius composer.

My Neighbor Totoro is actually the best Miyazaki film.

Fur sure, the gap between those three is pretty small. Mononoke just succeeds the most at the most parts.

you're all wrong. nausicaa is clearly the best.

Wings of Honneamise is even better.

Mononoke is his most traditional film, that why plot-plebs enjoy it the most.

It's true for most films.

Totoro and Wind Rises are both better Miyazaki films.

Picture related or Kubo
and also this

End of Evangelion is the undeniable animatedkino

>Kubo
>Animated

Stop motion animation is the highest form of animation.

Metropolis

>a picture saying somebodies post is bait has become bait

I can't handle this new meta

dude meaningless visuals lmao.

>scenes women will never understand

>better animated film
Do you mean a film with better animation or a better film that is animated?

Yes.

And valley of the wind

I am a woman and I do not understand what youre posting about. Please explain?

Fuck off to tumblr this isn't a place for whores.

okay I'm really a guy, what is it all about?

Royal Space Force is the eternal GOAT. Nothing looks better animated than planes.

The men of the village are in anguish that the last heir to the royal lineage of their people has to exile himself because of his cursed arm.

that looks sick. I'll need to check it out sometime.

I consider it to be just about the ultimate pleb-filter.

so the whole village can't drum up another guy? lol are you kidding how is that important. why wouldn't I have understood that.

by the way I am a girl lol.

lol!!! me too :D let's scissor

It's Japan, they are stupid like that.

I would never call a whole race stupid for traditional values. I do think however that the town not replacing him with another guy is stupid though.

So you're ok with Muslims marrying children and honor killings? Those are their traditional values.

If that's what their values are then who am I to argue? I don't know of the struggle of those peoples. Unfortunately at the end of the day I didn't choose my race and I was born to a white family. I will never know the struggle of those peoples.

How much of a fucking imbecile are you lmao. You don't simply replace royal blood with non-royal blood. Besides, there were some girls in the movie who might have been his sisters, I'm not too clear on it.

I'd argue Jin-Roh has at least comparable, if not outirhgt better animation.

kiki's
Kimi no Na wa

And has a better plot.

HONORU

To be totally honest I wasn't as amazed by spirited away as everyone else seems to be. IMO Mononoke, Nausicaa, and The Wind Rises are top Miyazaki kino.

Castle of Cagliostro is the best Miyazaki movie hands down.

>2 memeyzaki threads on Sup Forums

not on my board gtfo

I think I was too pleb to understand Jin-Roh because I just didn't get it. Really great art/animation though.

>have I just watched the peak of traditional animation?

This is the film where Studio Ghibli first started to incorporate GCI and digital inking in a few scenes for the very reason that it was faster and cheaper than traditional animation for the most complex bits

Nah, Japanese animators are good at drawing inanimate objects, but they fall flat depicting human subjects. Anime has a cold and autistic visual style.

The greatest animator of all time is Max Fleischer. He's better than anybody at depicting emotion, action and human energy. His collected works are the peak of traditional animation.

youtube.com/watch?v=5ysCS1NB0zE

Maybe try the earlier live-action ones and then go back to it. They're more avant-garde on the whole but at the same time they address the same themes in a more straight-forward way.

To be fair some stuff can be ridiculously tedious to animate by hand but easy with CG for only a minor drop in quality. Ninja Scroll apparently had shitloads of time devoted to stuff that they wish they could have just CGd. A scene with bees or something in particular.

well yeah anyone can look like a good animator when they rotoscope

>story ends with forest dwellers genocide and their god dead
>Iron town vows to rebuild bigger than before

So nature lost right?

I think it's implied that the god lives on, but in a different way than before (closer to real life)

It's about learning to accept change without forgetting your roots and who you are. It wasn't meant to be strictly happy.

Who else /m/ here

In a thread about animation quality you post VOTOMS of all things?

It's good, but it aint no Prince of Egypt or Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Who was in the wrong here?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxFD7Tk8Kps

Spoiler alert: it wasn't Frollo

I don't know if calling anime 'cold and autistic' is fair. It's mostly just far more grounded than Fleischer's cartoons. And there is plenty of cartoon-work in Japanese animation, just it came before the stuff really caught on in the west so it's kind of obscure. Tezuka made some awesome stuff back in the day. Here's 'A Thousand and One Nights' if anybody has a couple of hours to kill. Or if you just want to quickly see a more vibrant and cartoon-like style of Japanese animation.

youtu.be/cfZhNVOnn9A

VOTOMS is cool for tv but next to all of these movies it looks a bit lame.

Short answer: no

Long answer: no there is not

>I don't know if calling anime 'cold and autistic' is fair.
all anime is shit and dull
you only posted one exception

Well how many exceptions will I have to post until you consider this rule broken?

And while there certainly is a 'rule' of sorts regarding a general grounded and not particularly expressive or imaginative style that mostly applies to tv anime. The fact that tv anime can have its quality as proper animation seriously considered at all I think is a testament to how good it can be. Compare what was coming out in the 80s or whenever to their American, or god forbid, Canadian counterparts.

I fucking love Princess Mononoke
But I think my personal favorite is Memories.. Magnetic Rose specifically.

Is there any animu more overrated than this one?

Just some basic ass story, who fuckin cares woop woop some shit happens and then more shit happens, cartoons walk there then they walk here, cartoon 1 throws thing at cartoon 2, cartoon 2 bits cartoon 1, everyone fights and here's some trees the end.

I can see a 10 year old liking it when compared to spongebob, but why the fuck are you guys so in love with it?

over half of the animes in existence

Well over half of the animes in existence are tv shows. I think that we have to distinguish between movies and tv here. One medium is far more suited towards true artistic expression than the other.

Also don't forget OVAs. Those things are loaded with unique but not quite AAA projects where animators and directors experimented with all kinds of styles of art direction and storytelling.

wow so they copied Take On Me

>Canadian counterparts
You mean like "The Thief and the Cobbler" which blows that "A Thousand and One Nights" cartoon you posted out of the water?

TAAAAAKE OOOOOON MEEEEEEE

No, I don't mean like "The Thief and the Cobbler" at all you stupid clown. Re-read that post. I was talking about a specific era of television animation. The Thief and the Cobbler is a movie, and not only that but it's nowhere near as old as the other movie you're comparing it to. And also it was never finished. You can only get so much done in animation. The fact that it looks better isn't an indication of superior animators, only a more autistically devoted director. And look where that autistic devotion got his masterpiece.

Stop being belligerent for the sake of it and read what's being posted.

I don't actually know if they were inspired by Take On Me or not. They came out in the same year but I haven't been able to find more specific dates than that. It's just as possible that Bobby came first and the similarities are a coincidence. Kind of like The Matrix and Dark City.

Beauty and the Beast is objectively the best animated film to date.

Satoshi Kon's film are better from an artistic perspective, but in terms of spectacle based, hollywood style filmmaking/storytelling, Princess Mononoke will - likely forever - be the best animated film of all time.

No; both to intent and your warped views on life.

L O N D O N

meh, they arent so good as mononoke

Akira is LOOKS cool and SOUNDS cool, but lacks any real substance

Mate, all Ghibli films have inbetween animators.

Akira is shit.

probably critically its the best

i think Nausicaa is a better epic than Monoke but one's a sci-fi and the other is fantasy

Right but they used honorable Japanese animators and not dirty smelly Koreans.

I think Akira has a good amount going on beyond the amazing animation, sound and score. Kaneda and Tetsuo's relationship in particular is very nuanced for a big AAA spectacle production. And of course beyond that you can look into Tetsuo's adolescent anxiety as a representation of humanity's collective coming of age and having to deal with the anxiety of globalization and a nuclear world before we're probably ready for it.

Fuck you and your shit taste.

Cat in the Hat is such a comfy film

LMAO DOES ANYONE LIKE THESE [insert indb top 100 list] ANIMES HERE

It's no Watchmen but AKIRA has some things going for it like pointed out.

I agree that Nausicaa has that kind of "epic" because of the focus on flight.

Sup Forums doesnt talk about anime movies though. just shitty serial of the months

the world in Nausicaa is larger and leaves more story to be told. Mononoke is limited to feudal japan. there's a lot to dig into with Nausicaa.

Add this once enough people on Sup Forums have seen it:

youtube.com/watch?v=10wV05aNu9o

will Sup Forums ever fuck off

8 years late to the party faggot

8 years late for what? No one on Sup Forums talks about it and it's a gorgeous film.