>rips-off Ultravox
>rips-off Nine Inch Nails

>considered a genius
Eh?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=02BXbobS_mY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>rips off people who ripped him off
That's just swings and roundabouts, ain't it?

the words will make you out and out

(you)

>no Marc Bolan

Stopped reading there

>The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

what do they even teach you kids now-a-days?

him too

he's allowed to rip me, cunt.

>If you do the same genre as someone you're ripping them off
Neat.

Unless you're talking about him ripping off specific songs in which case feel free to show.

he's dead lol

Stupid leaf

take it back. he's just sleeping.

ashes to ashes~

Thinking about Tront find out about David's death is crushing :(

>you aren't allowed to be influenced by other bands

great post lad

it's one thing to start out like that but another to keep doing it every few years with whichever artist is in fashion

Im sad that Bowie never got influenced by zeuhl.

>rips-off David Sylvian
fucking lol

Beatles and Beach Boys were ripping each other's albums off to stay relevant, why can't Bowie? He'd be boring if he just stuck to the same sound his entire career and never changed.

>>rips-off Roxy Music
not even a little
>>rips-off Scott Walker
I'll give you that
youtube.com/watch?v=02BXbobS_mY
>>rips-off krautrock
>ripping off a genre
>>rips-off David Sylvian
lol. Speaking of Roxy Music rip offs
>>rips-off Ultravox
not even a little
>>rips-off Nine Inch Nails
not really. He certainly took influence from him, but Outside and Earthling are very different from anything nin were doing at the time, beyond >muh electronics and a pseudo-industrial coating

maybe, but he could have had ideas himself instead

if it makes you feel better, Prince's passing made everyone forget Bowie
Prince was just so... superior
and people know it
Bowie's music is forgotten for the most part
the younger generations couldn't name one of Bowie's songs

God thats a terrible bait

U forgot about Lou reed

"Mick Jagger, For Example, Is Scared To Walk Into The Same Room As Me Even Thinking Any New Idea. He Knows I’ll Snatch It."

There's also a quote where he says his great talent is knowing WHAT to steal, and he's described himself as a "tasteful thief".

He never tried to hide any of this or was ashamed of it.

didn't zappa hate this guy

Yeah I don't know why OP included Sylvian, the first Japan albums are just Roxy Music rip offs, the last ones, not so much actually, and Sylvian career is just a completely diferent stuff, but I don't think Bowie rip off that, simply because 80s Bowie is awful lol

There's a fine line between ripping off and taking influence, and Bowie's on the latter side.

When you rip something off, you're trying to pass it off as your own. Think of John Mellencamp for example. "Hurts So Good" is a shameless ripoff of the Stones' Some Girls-era sound. However, Mellencamp's approach to everything is to signify a homegrown, roots approach. That doesn't really mesh.

On the other hand, Bowie has always been pretty open about who's influenced him, be it in interviews, the friendships he keeps, or what have you. He outright covers songs from his influences on just about every album.

All music is derivative to some degree, but the number of actual, reputable musicians you'll hear say Bowie was an original are numerous.

Not an argument.
Teenagers and most young adults don't know what a Let's Dance is.
Everybody knows Purple Rain.
You can't argue with delusion, though.

fuck off captain tom

This is merely symptomatic of the passage of time. Kids of the Bowie era probably couldn't name as many Elvis songs, either. That didn't make him any less great.

>what is Space Oddity
>what is Changes
>what is Under Pressure

>Kids of the Bowie era probably couldn't name as many Elvis songs
kids noawadays can name elvis songs
bad example
bowie wasn't on his lane
more like cyndi lauper, without the timeless songs like Girls Just Wanna have Fun

forgotten
please keep up

I don't care if he ripped anyone off. As long as the music is good, that's all that matters.

>who'll be the 'Mozart' of your century? David Bowie?
>The people of your century no longer require the service of composers. A composer is as useful to a person in a jogging suit as a dinosaur turd in the middle of his runway. Your age is ugly and loveless, and when they eventually write you up in the leather book with the red silk thing hanging out the side, YOUR nasty little 'Mozart' will be a sort of egalitarian-affirmative action non-person of indeterminate sex, chosen by a committee who will seek advice from a group of accountants who will consult a tan lawyer who will negotiate with a clothing manufacturer who will sponsor a series which will feature a simulation of a lip-synced version of the troubled life of a white boy with special hair who achieves musical greatness through abnormally large sales figures.

there are too many examples of him "borrowing" to even list but let's be honest, his whole image and persona is a huge reason we love him. he's a pop culture icon a lot of different types of people can get behind and he's just a decent guy.
id imagine his androgynous image/lyrics were pretty shocking back in the day so props to him for that too

im 19 and know absolutely no one go gives about Prince. And Bowie is faaar better desu

it's all because he dressed as a tranny faggot for awhile and nu-males eat that shit up. same with young thug

Lmao in what world

This is such incredibly awful bait. Most young people haven't ever heard a Prince song, since Prince kept his music off of the internet, whereas everyone has heard Space Oddity, Rebel Rebel, "Heroes", Under Pressure, Let's Dance, and other Bowie songs. If Prince had embraced the digital era he would probably have Bowie level popularity, but he didn't and as a result Bowie is more popular. Reminder Blackstar went to number 1 on the billboard top 200 whereas Hit n Run Phase Two didn't even crack the top 30.

Why does it have to be a competition you turbofag?

>posts this on a board full of 20 somethings that has discussed his entire discography at length
epic

Imagine being Trent, he obviously listened to Blackstar as soon as he could, and then his friends dies and he just listens to it again

I love David Sylvian, but you literally what ?

Yes, Scaruffi was right once again.

he fucking hates every body doesn't he

literally no one listens to prince

Roxy Music came after him you dunce

no he's simply truthful