ITT: films that really made you think

ITT: films that really made you think

fuck off halfwit, you think viggo being a stand up white dude will save cinema?!??!?!?!?!

cool movie

Made me think how mad the ending made me.
It's because I wish I lived like that and had a family like that and the ending implies they didn't even stay like that

The main thing I really liked was how honesty was really the #1 thing in the family's life

My parents on the other hand fostered an environment of dishonesty

Meaning you wished to live as they did at the start of the movie in the forest or as they live on the farm?

If we're being unironic here, than maybe the Grand Budapest Hotel.

I really admired that too. The dinner scene was a really good contrast between his family and everyone else.
At the start. But mostly the counter-cultural philosophy in general, not so much the primitive living. The ending felt like he radically compromised his philosophy for no good reason, especially since his kids were perfectly happy, besides socially awkward autismo and edgy teenager son.

Although the primitive living was also really cool and seemed really ideal. Just not specifically what I was talking about.

I don't think the ending was compromising beliefs so much as finding stability and closure which is what their journey to the funeral was all about for me

Also Viggo's character talked about why he went into the woods to begin with which was an effort to save his wife

You can still live on a quiet farmstead and uphold the philosophy that he did when they were in the wilderness

Sure, but him sending them to school is a pretty huge compromise. One that would only create problems considering their unique mindsets and level of education; they'd learn nothing, have nothing in common with the other students, and probably bitch at the teachers for teaching them bourgeois propaganda.

That's true but I also found the part about the kids all being super smart (knowing 5 languages, understanding theoretical physics, etc) to be the least realistic part of the film especially since things like language learning and understanding of physics really requires a lot more than textbooks
Sure when you don't have tv and the internet and video games and all the other trappings of modern life I'm sure you could learn quite a lot but to the level they did I'm not so sure especially the critical thinking ability which is fostered by exposure to outside views (the kids had none of this they just regurgitated their father's worldview)

But yeah they definitely didn't belong in public school and I'm sure the grandfather would've had no problem footing the bill for a private education where everyone else would be on a similar level of learnedness

A teenager having a college level education is plausible if they constantly studied, but the five languages is a stretch. I think the parents tried to make them critical thinkers and not just repeat what they believed, the sister even insulted the youngest kid by saying he was just repeating what their dad says; the oldest son was apparently in disagreement with the father by being a Trotskyist/Maoist, so there must've been information around that the father didn't personally believe.

Even a private school wouldn't work for them. They've been so used to self-learning that a school specifically teaching them stuff they probably already know or would heavily disagree with wouldn't work. That also would do nothing about how different they would be from everyone else and how much they hate the normal system of society.

>A teenager having a college level education is plausible if they constantly studied

That's definitely true

>school specifically teaching them stuff they probably already know or would heavily disagree with wouldn't work. That also would do nothing about how different they would be from everyone else and how much they hate the normal system of society.

The thing is they were never exposed to normal society they only profess hatred of it because of the parents instilling Marxist views in them and the one rebellious son (the younger one not the one who went off to Africa) yearned for being a part of society so I think they would be able to adapt after of course a steep learning curve in social norms and mores

>DUDE COMMUNISM LMAO

>The thing is they were never exposed to normal society they only profess hatred of it because of the parents instilling Marxist views in them
Well, once they saw it they hated it and kept hating it, saying it was because of Marxist views doesn't really change anything.
>one rebellious son yearned for being a part of society
He wasn't making a rational, informed decision. He was emotionally distraught at his mother dying and he blamed his father on it; him wanting to stay was him trying to defeat his father, he never articulates why society is better or why his family's views are wrong.
>I think they would be able to adapt after of course a steep learning curve in social norms and mores
That's only if they wanted to, which seems unlikely. They'd probably prefer not to be so isolated, but they're not going to change their ingrained and rationally supported views for a system they hate. The oldest son didn't even disagree with anything, he was just angry about being an autist who doesn't know anything outside the forest.

It did point out a lot of absurdities in consumerist culture but it also glorified primitivism which was a bit silly given that billions of people essentially live a primitivist lifestyle today because they were born into absolute poverty and it isn't so nice being a subsistence farmer

It seemed kind of like a take on Herman Hesse's "Siddhartha" in that the protagonist seemed to find peace with the "middle road" so to speak

>Well, once they saw it they hated it and kept hating it, saying it was because of Marxist views doesn't really change anything.

I think it does because they were only exposed to it in passing and with their father's remarks to go along with it
They never immersed themselves in it beyond a night at their aunt's house and even then it was a clash of cultures much moreso than any sort of attempt to understand the other side

Chomsky cult of personality seemed to be in conflict with their anti-religion stance

That was a major point in the film to point out the cognitive dissonance required to espouse hatred for religion while essentially belonging to a cult albeit one they had no choice in but their views were overall uniform and their lives were very regimented

dl'ing this film now
keep this thread alive until i've watched it, or else....

>DUDE CAPITALISM IS SHIT LMAO
>"OMG A NEW BOW BY BEAR ARCHERY CO AND NEW KNIVES BY GERBER LEGENDARY BLADES INC.! GEE WHIZ, THANKS DAD!"

>given that billions of people essentially live a primitivist lifestyle today because they were born into absolute poverty and it isn't so nice being a subsistence farmer
Being a subsistence farmer in an industrial world isn't really primitivist. Partially because the odds are stacked against you and also because primitivists are for hunting-gathering.
>I think it does because they were only exposed to it in passing and with their father's remarks to go along with it
They were all shown to be critical thinkers who could express their own opinions. Their father saying what they thought doesn't change anything.
>They never immersed themselves in it beyond a night at their aunt's house and even then it was a clash of cultures much moreso than any sort of attempt to understand the other side
They stayed at their grandfathers for a bit and hated it and wanted to go back to the forest. Maybe they were brainwashed, but judging by their happiness, education, overall health, and desire to keep their lifestyle, it's not really possible to say they were wrong.
It was just an excuse for them to celebrate a Christmas replacement. They didn't worship Chomsky, they just liked him a lot and his birthday was close to Christmas.
Their views weren't uniform. They were all counter-cultural and Marxist but they disagreed and believed in critical thinking.

Good equipment is good equipment, regardless of who makes it.

bump
watching this now
want to discuss it after
it's great thus far

Annalise is best girl, right?

>the dinner scene

this movie is really interesting

I liked the other one more desu

I think this film really strikes me as interesting, being a loner NEET who thinks too highly of himself as less of the outside world :^)

Still gonna watch it though

My favourite film of the year.

>"Shaved your face.."
HAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHHAHA perfect

>ywn be a philosopher king

Finito
Crying
I don't know what I am feeling.
Was touched. Am still.
I know a family similar to them.
A family with three children.
When the children were young they lived in the woods with their mother and father. I don't really know what life was for them then, but it was similar to that what the family in this film had in the beginning of this film, although the father wasn't quite as... keen on teaching his children in the same way that Viggo did. Then again, I am not sure.
It ended with the mother having some sort of realization of how their lifestyle wasn't sustainable (or something) and a battle ensured for who would get custody of the children.
The law was on the mother's side and the children were taken out of their father's innawoods life.
They, the children, said this fucked up them quite a bit, became quite traumatic.
The kids never quite fit in in their schools.
Years go by and they get back to living with their father. Moved into a house and started living a life then similar to that of how they lived in the end of the film.
Problem is/was their father wasn't/isn't... well, he's not Viggo.
Right now the family (the dad and the children) have a project, want to start a foundation to buy up a land area and make it into a free-state or whatever (am not that well informed on the plan, but the idea is to make it into a safeplace for people who want to live outside of society).
Hope it becomes something.

Ohwell, I don't know.
Still processing the feels.

Didn't make me think as much as feel, but it inspired me question my own lifestyle.

this movie is fucking shit
despite all the shit his family went through that fucking cunt didn't learn anything
well i guess he represents perfectly the arrogant mindset of leftists

I disagree.
He did compromise at the end, not going back to the full-native lifestyle but rather letting the family settle and kids going to school and become familiar with society, yet still maintaining a self-sustaining life for them.
I see no arrogance in that.
Granted, I do think that it would have perhaps been wiser for the father to decide for his children to live with the grandparents, but I am all for how it all turned out in the end of the film

the only he reason he did that is because the grandpa forced him to

That may be (not explicitly stated, as far as I remember) but considering that the alternative would be that the grandpa would get lawenforcement to forcefully separate him from his children was this the best alternative.
With this in regard, I'd say the father most certainly learned something and had a good reason for choosing to compromise in the end.

Start reading books and contemplate, sucka

I'm pretty sure the line about school at the end was a joke. That's why instead of getting up they just sit there and continue to read.

They all should have lived on a farm in the first place. Nothing wrong with giving your kids lots of skills but living in the woods was a mistake.

>I'm pretty sure the line about school at the end was a joke.
I thought so too because of the looks the elder sisters gave eachother, or rather the smile and headshake the second sister gave, but what with the father packing lunchbags with the kids' names on them, the kids writing what seemed like homework it does seem it wasn't a joke. Perhaps the joke was that the "school bus" was just their own bus.
>That's why instead of getting up they just sit there and continue to read.
The "schoolbus" (wether or not it was an actual schoolbus or just their bus) would be there in 15mins, ample time to eat their breakfast and study in peace.
>They all should have lived on a farm in the first place
Well, they made that choice.
>Nothing wrong with giving your kids lots of skills but living in the woods was a mistake.
I wouldn't call it a mistake, but rather an alternative lifestyle which had it's faults. Granted, how they ended up living in the end was the better alternative as I see it.

>tfw want to live a self sustained life on some land away from society with a large free thinking but conservative family
>tfw gf is a die hard shillary liberal and hates the outdoors

So is life

You choose the life you live.

I suppose you're right. The things we do for love.

Have you taken into consideration of starting some outdoors hobby? It's something atleast

You're a literal cuck, user.

Am I the only one who looks at the movie as basically satire?

>they don't celebrate christmas but they still worship a jew
>they're all so against indoctrination yet the little daughter is so clearly regurgitating what she hears her family say
>they're against stuff for which they have no experience
>praise intellectual maturity but the father is so ideologically rigid that he killed his wife because muh lifestylism