Just saw this last night... my god, I can't believe I sat through this whole thing. Aside from the special effects...

Just saw this last night... my god, I can't believe I sat through this whole thing. Aside from the special effects, which were fantastic, everything about this movie felt boring and derivative. You could take Ant Man, Iron Man, Captain America and Doctor Strange, switch them around, and have the same story line: Guy gets powers/suit/whatever, learns how to master them, then has to save the world. It's crap, it's by-the-numbers, predictable crap from Marvel.

Also, red and blue? Really? Could they possibly be any more blatant in ripping off Superman? "Cloak of levitation", please!

Also that final "battle", if you could even call it that, with Dormammu, was underwhelming as fuck. Really disappointed.

A lot of people are starting to realize that all these Marvel movies are pretty much the same. I saw this with a friend who loves capeshit and even he said he was done with Marvel after Dr Strange. It was pretty much just Iron Man. Dr Strange is exactly Tony Stark. They didn't even bother differentiate the two because I guess Tony Stark is so popular with fans.

It's safe. It's boring. It's sometimes visually appealing but that is quickly lost in the finale that turns into yet another final videogame boss encounter.

have a (you) my friend :)

What changes would you guys have made if you were directing it?

I would have made Dr. Strange some Doctors Without Borders guy who is roped into everything by accident. I also would have had the first half been more of a wuxia film before revealing actual magic.

OP here. I honestly don't know why Zack Snyder gets so much flak from everybody, at least he gives a shit enough about these characters to try and make them more thematically interesting. And I like Marvel, I just think they're a one-trick pony to be honest.

OP here. I think having him be the Sorcerer Supreme right from the start would have been more interesting, with small tidbits and flashbacks indicating to how he got to that point, instead of a straight-up origin story.

BvS had the ill fortune of releasing a few months before election so journalists were on edge to bury anything that might remotely be interpreted as conservative.

I would deviate from the same exact formula of Iron Man. I would change Dr Strange's personality into being more of a serious guy, not just another charismatic quips artist like Stark. I would also have it so that Dr Strange would sympathize with the villain and attempt to seek immortality himself instead of LOL WE SHOULD ALL JUST DIE

>You could take Ant Man, Iron Man, Captain America and Doctor Strange, switch them around, and have the same story line: Guy gets powers/suit/whatever, learns how to master them, then has to save the world. It's crap, it's by-the-numbers, predictable crap from Marvel.
Man of Steel:
>dude gets born
>comes to earth
>gets powers
>saves the world later
It's not a *Marvel* thing. But Marvel does say a more fun and easier to not cringe at story.
>Also, red and blue? Really? Could they possibly be any more blatant in ripping off Superman?
1) source material complaints belong in 2) all they, along with Supes, copy the murican flag.
>"Cloak of levitation", please!
>>>/9gag/
>Also that final "battle", if you could even call it that, with Dormammu, was underwhelming as fuck. Really disappointed.
Tell that to Zod's snapped neck. I found it very fun to sit through (subjective) and it was different in execution than the other capeshit movies at least (objective)
>A lot of people are starting to realize that all these Marvel movies are pretty much the same.
Capeshit* movies are pretty much the same, not Marvel in particular
>Dr Strange is exactly Tony Stark.
Strange was effectively an employee before capeshit, making him less fit for a leader figure in later movies
Tony gave himself his powers, Strange was taught by others and given lots of handouts
Tony is charismatic AF, Strange is not
Tony has had lots of character development but is still impulsive and immature, Strange is not
Tony has sidekicks (Jarvis/Friday, War machine) strange has not
Their only similarities (apart from being superheroes) begin and end with money, brains and the goatee. Though Stark is orders of magnitude richer (even before Strange wasted his shekels) and has a way better goatee.
>It's safe.
Yes
>It's boring.
Subjective
>yet another final videogame boss encounter
That was GotG. Strange was different at least in execution.

t. marvelfag

>Tony is charismatic AF, Strange is not
This is wrong. Dr Strange is portrayed as a very charismatic joking kind of guy.

>capeshit is capeshit
Surprise!

>It's not a *Marvel* thing. But Marvel does say a more fun and easier to not cringe at story.

Comics are supposed to be cringe you silly goose

I mean come on, you say cringe is bad but you like marvel's humor

>Tony has sidekicks (Jarvis/Friday, War machine) strange has not
Strange has that black guy and his cape. They are his sidekicks. Their personalities and character arcs are near identical.

Superhero movies are, at their core, very much the same, I'll agree with you, but you can't deny that Marvel has a formula to how they approach this medium. And they've been bleeding it dry for quite some time.

DC, on the other hand, tries to do something different, and they get criticized for it. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it IS different, and there are some people that like it.

Will people be debating and analyzing Doctor Strange 5-10 years from now the same way they do MoS or BvS?

Dr. Strange.

Because it is capekino

We're at that point where the masses simply won't accept capeshit as anything but some quick jokes and lazy CGI action scenes. Snyder tried to do differently and he got punished hard for it. And now from what I read, Suicide Squad was kinda like Marvel and it worked out for them. Ultimately, the blame is on us for allowing this to happen. This is the decay of cinema. Where the easy-digestable is assumed as the better content because it went in easier. I thought after The Dark Knight that the genre would experience a renaissance, but instead it just became a repetition of the same 2-3 plots over and over again.

>Strange has that black guy and his cape. They are his sidekicks. Their personalities and character arcs are near identical.

Yeah, you're straight meme'ing yourself into a trollfest palomine, stop now or forever be a kek

Why is Jarvis a sidekick but a magical cape isn't?

(You)

The lower part needs more airports.

Fuck I love airports.

>this image
marvelfags forever BTFO

I thought Wong was his sidekick? I know he is in the comics.

>I can't read
Charismatic, as in charming. Strange is witty to an extent, but not charismatic.
Subjectiveness
The cape may count, it does seem to have some sort of distinct personality and self awareness, but it doesn't even talk. The black guy is definitely not a sidekick, did we watch the same movie?
>Marvel has a formula to how they approach this medium. And they've been bleeding it dry for quite some time.
You wouldn't complain if your mom made the same delicious cheeaecake every Sunday, while only changing the jam on top
>DC, on the other hand, tries to do something different, and they get criticized for it. It might not be to everyone's taste, but it IS different, and there are some people that like it.
I can argue that people ITT are bashing Dr Strange for doing something different, at least cinematographically
Also, my problem with BvS isn't that it is "different".
I simply didn't find the protagonists' motivations convincing (unlike Cap 3), and I didn't find the resolution to any of the main fights satisfactory (unlike Cap 3). Not to mention the DCEU problems that stem from BvS trying to rival Cap 3 while having a whooping 1 movie of universe and character building.
They should have taken their time and made AT LEAST a Batman solo movie before BvS, utilising the Joker and Robin's death storylines for example.
>Will people be debating and analyzing Doctor Strange 5-10 years from now the same way they do MoS or BvS?
Apples and oranges, Dr. Strange is a B movie and while it does expand the universe it is in, it is not its backbone like MoS and BvS are for the MCU. If you want, compare MoS to Iron Man 1 or Cap 1 and BvS to Cap 3 or Avengers 1/2.

it was shit
but it has that green mind stone in it so it has to get good reviews

so, in other words, it did exactly what a capeshit flick is supposed to do? AND it had some cool visuals to go along with it? what are you complaining about then?

>You wouldn't complain if your mom made the same delicious cheeaecake every Sunday, while only changing the jam on top
Is this a question or a statement? Either way, I'm lactose intolerant.
>I simply didn't find the protagonists' motivations convincing
Subjective.
>and I didn't find the resolution to any of the main fights satisfactory
Again, subjective.
>They should have taken their time and made AT LEAST a Batman solo movie before BvS
They should have made a direct sequel to Man of Steel. We've had plenty of Batman movies, literally a Bushman in Africa knows how Bruce lost his parents.
>Apples and oranges, Dr. Strange is a B movie and while it does expand the universe it is in, it is not its backbone like MoS and BvS are for the MCU. If you want, compare MoS to Iron Man 1 or Cap 1 and BvS to Cap 3 or Avengers 1/2.
Fair enough.

Well, when you think about it, nearly all origin stories follow a similar path. Yes, this is straight-up Joseph Campbell:
A non-heroic character, often young, has no idea that they'll be the hero. (Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, King Arthur, Steven Strange, etc.)
They have a mentor who gives good life advice and starts them on the path that will make them a hero. (Dumbledore, Uncle Ben, Ben Kenobi, Merlin, Yensin, Ancient One etc.)
They have an event that starts them on the Hero's path. (Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru BBQ'ed, spider bite/wrestling, pulling Excalibur from the Stone, starting Hogwarts, car crash, etc.)
Usually the mentor dies or leaves so the hero can go forward without them. (Uncle Ben, Ben Kenobi, Yensin, Ancient One, etc.)
Often a friend becomes an enemy to bring personal conflict. (Quirrel/Riddle/Lupin/Moody, Harry Osborn, Lancelot, Obediah Stane, Luke's father, Mordo although not just yet, etc.)
Often there's a girl that the hero doesn't end up with. (Hermione, Leia, Gwen Stacy, Guinevere, Nurse What's-Her-Name, etc.)
There are fun side characters who usually provide some comic relief and keep the hero grounded and remind him where he comes from.(R2D2 and C-3PO, Rhodey, Ron, Wong, etc.)
There are a lot more examples and archetypes but I think I made my point. So, tons of hero stories follow the same basic boilerplate structure. The interesting part is how the elements are mixed and combined to make the story individual.

>capeshit is supposed to be bad and derivative because I said so
Was Marvel films your first exposure to the genre?

While this pic is true, doesn't mean dc is any less shitty than disney

Some major problems I had with BvS was that 1) it was a 2-hour trailer for Justice League. 2) It was written by someone who constantly asked "y'know what'd be cool to see?" with no regard for context. (I'm talking about everything they cribbed from TDKR, and Doomsday. Both of those events had 50 years of setup and development to get there in the comics. Here it was an origin story.)

The Justice League scenes were in total a whole five minutes. In a three hour movie. You're shitting so much from your keyboard now.

>debating and analyzing Doctor Strange 5-10 years from now the same way they do MoS or BvS?

To be honest, were they really even necessary? I liked BvS and I cringed when that scene came up.

Well that's another question. You said that BvS was a 2-hour trailer for JL when in fact, only five minutes of a total 3 hours were dedicated to Justice League.

And no, I don't think they were necessary. I thought they detracted from the story. But it's the cancer that Marvel started and we have to suffer in every blockbuster now that wants to be a "universe".

Literally every time I come on Sup Forums and there's a thread on MoS or BvS you have 200 to 300 replies, dissecting and analyzing each scene, the overarching themes and symbolism, you don't see that with Marvel films. Why is that?

Because Marvel is vapid and shallow, their work is cheap and disposable, and leaves nothing to the imagination.

>Doesn't realise its insulting DC just as much as Marvel

Stop making so much sense.

My pleb friends are sick of Marvel too, they liked Civil War but they knew nothing relevant would come out of it and they were completely right. Making the same movie over and over gets old eventually, no matter how pleb friendly the movie is

Literally from yesterday's thread. I'm sure you could come up with a similar analysis of Dr Quipberg

>MoS or BvS you have 200 to 300 replies, dissecting and analyzing each scene, the overarching themes and symbolism

Weird because when I go in them its always all pngs and webms of Antje Traue.

Oh no wait a sec... there's also sometimes an autist who mistakes kitsch for debth, I take it that's you.

haha can you please delete this? thank you very much

>he goes to a special effects flick for the plot

Nigger you're doing it very wrong. All the action scenes were pure kino

See

>Also, red and blue? Really? Could they possibly be any more blatant in ripping off Superman? "Cloak of levitation", please!

DCuck tears and libtard tears these days are too much for me

The keks I'm getting from this autism.

>I'm sure you could come up with a similar analysis of Dr Quipberg

okay but I might need a bit of time to type the sheer scale of this wall of bullshit.

Oh I saw it user. But I fail to see how its an argument seeing as it shows exactly what I described.

It's ok man, it's normal to be salty when you get BTFO as hard as you got. We understand

You what mate?

Keep your pretentious contrarian shitposts.

In your own style. See

Look dude, I understand if you didn't like the film, that's fine, it's not for everybody. But to say that there isn't a deeper theme at play during the course of the film, you're dead wrong. It takes multiple viewings to really see what Snyder was trying to do with these characters. It's more than just Supes = Space Jesus.

To each his own, though.

Superman is a rip-off of John Carter From Mars, what's your point?

>le deeper theme
>Muh nine eleven, so deep dark and tragic
Its transformers tier user.

That's what you get for watching a children's flick.

Show me a movie with a premise that can't be reduced to memes like you just did

This was the first superhero movie I had seen in years as I think they're all idiotic trash and I came out so embarrassed that adults actually go see these movies every few months. It was such an awful piece of garbage.

Also, Cumberbatch is a terrible actor.

I was mocking your arguments there user.

You should look here user.

There's a guy who thinks Batman vs Superman is a monument to cinema that's got 'deep themes' that need analysing.

so, you don't have any real arguments? ok then

>so, you don't have any real arguments? ok then
From the user that posted these

I haven't even seen the movie, but I can tell you both are gigantic faggots with terrible opinions.

really? I just came into this thread, smart one
I was looking at your posts and I saw that you wrote basically nothing, just things like: I don't see what you are seeing

>everything about this movie felt boring and derivative.
I saw this movie the other night too and I gotta say that I do kind of understand what you mean.

The movie felt like it dragged on a lot but also it had amazing visual effects and all the acting was great but yeah maybe they didn't include enough of the "interesting" scenes to keep me fully entertained...

I'd love if they spend more time on talking about Dormammu and what he has done within all the dimensions and worlds.

That LSD like sequence was absolutely stunning!

Also the movie had a really good message about "believing" in yourself when horrid things happen and change your life.

It's a 7/10 decent movie.

Please tell me you are joking..

I am actually happy that in a Marvel movie, they didn't bother having a massive end battle but actually instead did something very unique that you wouldn't expect to see.

What was really funny was when Strange was introduced to Wong (I think I got his name right) in the library area and Strange is trying to crack jokes to make Wong laugh and no one in my cinema laughed during this bit. They were all incredibly quiet.

>Your posts
>Smart one

see again

I liked it as well, I just thought they rushed into it a bit quick. It felt like the start was 2 hours and the middle and end were crammed into ten minutes.

Same here

>Marvel have put cosmic shit in their universe
>Marvel have put magic shit in their universe
>Marvel have put tons of literally who in their universe
>DC still can't put their big names successfuly
Pathetic.

You didn't understand that did you?

I really like psychedelic movies like Enter the void and fear and loathing. Should I watch this?

Not a fanboy, marvelcuck ;^)

how the fuck would you otherwise make an origin story to dumb fuck?

Stop samefagging, cocksucker.

Had a good hearty kek at this, but shouldn't it be the Winter Soldier who is being triggered?

If you've seen Fear and Loathing, Contact, and Inception, you've already seen this movie, with the exception of the fact that in each of those movies, they manage to tell unique, engaging stories. Strange manages to ape scenes from all of them(sometimes note-for-note) while keeping you emotionally at arm's length by playing it way too by numbers and safe.

The Inception-esque scene is visually entertaining, but you're so uninterested in what's actually happening that it gets boring before it's even over. It's kind of like looking through a kaleidoscope at a wallpaper pattern.

ACcident was so stupid, i mean couldnt they find a better situation to crash him just checking phone really?