What does Sup Forums think of Dream Theater (pre-Mangini)?

What does Sup Forums think of Dream Theater (pre-Mangini)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=edqH0ofRQrM
youtu.be/1PcxHDp3sSQ?t=380
youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0_FDhXutk
youtube.com/watch?v=LYtiDCXLAcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OynRoSnDxkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qHz-JqYRSu8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

dream theater is gud

personally they are okay, very talented musicians

Very talented musicians that make very boring music. They even try to book venues with seating in them so people will all sit down and watch them wank the whole time.

pre-6DOIT dream theater was fucking godly

after that they were sort of OK

now they're a fucking self-parody

i noticed that when i saw they were preforming in my city. Interesting how you sit but I couldn't justify the ticket price.

I think they made a point of booking venues with seating to discourage moshing and wall-of-deathing and other dumb metalhead shit, but i doubt anyone going to a DT concert is gonna be moshing. Still pretty wanky though

Portnoy is a fucking alien.

is this good or bad?

Sup Forums really has turned to shit if people are shilling this shit band that doesn't know how to write songs

Early DT is ok, SFAM and Images and Words has a really nice feel throughout. I think it's kinda unfair to call them shit, they are nowadays and in my opinion they declined steadily after Rudess joined and Portnoy's departure was the final nail in the coffin for me.

Technically gifted but their music is so ostentatious it sounds bad just because they can’t do anything musically with subtlety. It’s all so in your face with how dramatic or epic or complex or heavy it can be. This is most metal music to me but these guys take it all way overboard.

This

It's like their music is scientifically engineered to appeal to redditors as much as possible.

how so?

They are good, Train of Thought is my favorite album

>very talented musicians
this is true.
however, they make garbage music.
they are like a band of hyper autistic, super talented shut-ins, masturbating one instrument each and mashing it together with almost no synchronisation.

like, take the band on paper and they should be the best band of the last few decades.
they just aren't. in any way.
take liquid tension experiment as a project, and consider the ability, but then think about how shit the final result is.

nigh on embarrassing.

I think Rudess is probably the worst element, I thought he gelled pretty well in SFAM but other than that it was all ethnic bonks and kooky orchestra sounds with boring piano solos.

yeah basically this

eh

something about them has never sat right with me.

Pretty much this. 6 Degrees was great IMO but that was when they started taking more interest in ripping off other band's styles and writing 15 minute song around them with half of the song being time devoted to instrumental wankery. Everything between 6 Degrees and Black Clouds was pretty much like that but there's still some great material in there. I would argue Octavarium and Black Clouds and to a lesser extent 6 Degrees are still overall solid albums.

But once Portnoy left it fell apart. Dramatic Turn of Events was boring as fuck and I couldn't even get through The Astonishing, 5 hours of ballads mixed with some wank here and there. The self titled was better, and I could tell they were going for more of a classic sound. But despite there being a few solid songs it was still an overall disappointment. That being said I think Mangini is a great drummer. But either Portnoy really helped steer that band in the right direction or they just happened to run out of good ideas when he left.

ive never even seen them talked about on reddit

they were the first prog band i ever got into. i stil like them but i dont think they're as amazing as i did in the past. Astonishing sucks though i couldnt even get through it.

Boring as fuck. Liquid Tension Experiment is way more fun to listen.
Anyway, I hate when people talk about Portnoy as something really great. Don't get me wrong, he is really good, but there are better drummers.

it was downhill from the moment kevin moore left and unless they somehow get him to come back then they will never write a good song again

[spoiler]I liked Train of Thought[/spoiler]

this. live they are a complete disaster, the lack of chemistry is just painful.

track 5 on metropolis 2 is a good song but other than that you're right

I blame him for their sound going down the toilet. They'll do an attempt at a tasteful song then he has to throw in a ridiculous WEEDLY WEEDLY WEEEOOOOUUUW solo to remind us how fast he can play up and down scales.

>Portnoy
dude tom fills lmao
I'm glad he's gone, he was the reason they had at least one shitty borderline nu-metal songs on every mid-period album

Is it the super group problem? Most highly successful bands have 1 or 2 members writing almost 100% of the songs. I imagine it's hard to keep a song musically stable when you have 4-5 autistic retards jumping on one song.

>songs
>song
>song
wow, I type like a retard, kill myself

I think that in general, even when all of them are great musicians, their music is very generic and boring. Portnoy is a great drummer but he is so attached to metal that I can't enjoy it. It's the same with the singer. There is nothing personal in them, it's like they use forms that were use before all the time.

Not that guy but LTE was more of a jam session than an attempt at writing coherent songs. It's fun for 5 minutes if you want to see impressive shredding, but I can't imagine sitting through a full album of it, much less a live show.
LTE2 has my favorite Petrucci solo though: youtube.com/watch?v=edqH0ofRQrM

goddamn so much gear
imagine being that guy's drum tech

It's fun how in 6:25 John Petrucci fuck up the song and Tony Levin look at him like saying "what the fuck dude? you are fucking it up!!" and John just make something and they keep going with the song

youtu.be/1PcxHDp3sSQ?t=380

Fuck, this is why I could never play music like that. Trying to remember all the small specific intricacies of music like that is too daunting. Imagine getting 15 minutes into a 20 minute song, forgetting one section and the whole thing falling apart. Too stressful.

I truly don't understand how musicians can do things like that. There are some stuff that I hear in some artist that I can't even understand with my ear and they not only understand it, they also imagine those sounds and then they can make them real. It's something really amazing. Anyway, this is something that happend in any creative act: it happend in the kitchen when someone knows wich smells and flavors combine but not just that, they also know how to create ingredients to achive some specific flavors; and it also happends in painting or cinema.

Anybody can do it, it's just muscle memory learned through repetition.

If you read slowly what I've said, you will understand that it's not just that.
A composer may not know how to play all the instruments of a symphonic orchestra and, anyway, he can imagine all the sounds of every instrument and how are they going to conjugate together. Thats not muscle memory, for example. Also, the example that I use about cooking is not muscle memory, it's the ability to recognize wich aromas and flavors will mix well together, and a good chef can also imagine that without having those things in front of him.
In the thread a lot of people said that DT is a boring band and my conclusion is that they have good muscle memory as you've said, but they don't know how to mix the sounds properly.

>Very talented musicians that make very boring music.
Exactly this. Being able to play an instrument and being able to write good songs are two separate skillsets. They have the first one. Not the second.

See this

Hating Dream Theater is what I would expect redditor nu males to do.

agreed. kevin moore dream theater was way better imo

Images and Words, Awake, and Metropolis pt 2 are their only albums worth listening to. Everything else just tries to be what those are and fails. The three albums are the best of their genre though.

I like them but I admit they're corny as fuck, even by prog standards.

over pretentious wankery and not enough d-beats
but the first song on pic related is kinda good.

I unironically love early DT. After that it's a few songs here and there I like, like Solitary Shell, In the Presence of Enemies, Pt. 1: Prelude/Resurrection, etc
>being able to write good songs are two separate skillsets. They have the first one. Not the second.
Have you even listened to Images and Words or Awake?

But if you want modern Progressive Metal that is good you want to listen to Seventh Wonder.
youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0_FDhXutk

I thought Octavarium was a good album

Decent prog rock ruined by shitty vocals and unlistenable ballads

kys
youtube.com/watch?v=LYtiDCXLAcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OynRoSnDxkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=qHz-JqYRSu8

worst cover art contender

They're good and authentic, but the voice is too soft and weak at times