twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sun Ra
Pharoah Sanders
Peter Brotzmann
BBNG
Kamasi Washington

Kind of Blue

Any jazz fusion.

All of this music is equally still jazz. This is why you're asking this question.

Cowboy Bebop soundtrack

Jazz fusion sound good on paper but it's always fucking trash in practice. Why is it?

Mike Stern is good at it. lovely fresh sound. everyone else s rubbish we suppose

Here are a few different flavors you could try

The Cinematic Orchestra - Motion
youtube.com/watch?v=-NrerWplnts

Brad Mehldau - Art Of The Trio Vol. 3 (even if just for the Exit Music and River Man covers)
youtube.com/watch?v=DiVAHWqph8w

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Sunset Mission
youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ

Alice Coltrane - Journey In Satchidananda
youtube.com/watch?v=NxPMKgY_8qk

Takuya Kuroda - Rising Son
youtube.com/watch?v=spH_3GV6YsY

Medeski Martin & Wood - Friday Afternoon In The Universe
youtube.com/watch?v=dS8O9fEa19Q

also tfw posting this album on Friday afternoon

Maybe it's just jazz that's actually good and has universal appeal

if you don't like jazz then you don't deserve to be told what to listen to

Getz Gilberto

Bossanova jazzy - nobody hates it and a lot of people love it.

Is it jazz? No, not originally. But it's played like jazz and hence it is jazz!

this sadly enough

Why sad?

ummm user?

alice coltrane - journey to schenictida
don cherry and krystof pendrecki - actions for free jazz orchestra
max roach - we insisist! the freedom now suite

these three albums ive loved for years as someone who listens to very little other jazz.

good example

This desu senpai
>oh no this jazz album is easily accessible and generally well liked by most people, well this isn’t REAL jazz like the stuff me and friends listen too, you guys wouldn’t get that stuff
jazz fags are the most pathetic and pretentious people out there they dont like popular jazz albums because they can’t pretend to be more intelligent and superior then everyone else for listening it

Wrong.

Kind of Blue is extremely popular and accessible and is also accepted as a masterpiece by jazz fans.

youtube.com/watch?v=4D8YPDdsxYU

one of my favourite albums from last year

rockists are the most pathetic and immature people out there they don't understand good music so they assume that anyone who does is just pretending in order to seem intelligent.

Worse still, they can't handle any criticism of music they like and anyone who speaks negatively at all about the music they like is immediately labeled an "elitist" or an "autist" and reasonable discussion with them becomes impossible.

Jazz listeners are much closer to rockists than poptimists you moron.
And no you can't just divorce the term 'rockist' from it's context.

the thing is, no one would care for that album if it wasn't made by some ching chong

pictured and Headhunters are useful in this regard, despite not being rock-based; it's all in the deep grooves

>man this album is so next level japs are so good at music how can others even compete?
>actually it's a pretty mediocre take on american jazz standa-
>FUCKING JAZZFAGS HOW DARE YOU VOICE SUCH AN OPINION YOU PEOPLE ARE SUCH PRETENTIOUS SHITBAGS HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY REVISIONIST MILLENIAL HISTORY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

hit the nail on the head right there

>tfw you will never be allowed to like something that's Japanese without being called a poser weeb on Sup Forums

Why are jazz fans the snobbest elitists of them all?

Toshiko Akiyoshi is Japanese and is a fine pianist. Nobody will give you shit for liking her.

The problem is teenagers who hear one jazz album on YouTube and mess their pants because he's Japanese and then refuse to accept that he's really not that good.

Because there are people who talk about this thing, that these "snobby elitists" are passionate about, without having really spent the time to listen to and understand that realm of music? When you got guys giving overt amounts of praise to a record like The Epic without really going into what's going on in that record, then to make it even worse often claim some shit like "I have only listened to 10 jazz albums", how do you not expect people who are capable of picking up on more minute details and appreciate jazz for what it really brings to not be like "lmao wtf is this?" An adult doesn't take a child's conversation seriously as the child isn't fully developed as a human being, and it's the same case here. I myself was big into a lot of the kind of fusion, spiritual, and free jazz stuff that normally draws in non-jazz listeners, too until I realized that such stuff just isn't capable of nuance on the level of the really good stuff in the genre, and it's that nuance in playing which makes jazz worth listening to among other genres of music.

Jazz Thread Guy ruined discussion of jazz on Sup Forums

if it wasn't for jtg jazz threads on Sup Forums would be just album cover spam and "I like this/I don't like this" posts ad nauseam (in other words the same as all the other threads on Sup Forums)

>guy makes most of the charts, and has also shared the overwhelming majority of the music on this site in terms of jazz
>mostly mentions how much he likes certain records he's listening to while he posts
>people find his rym and sperg out at him for having different opinions
>he explains his opinions in a way that goes over the details of the stuff instead of Sup Forums shitposting
>people still get so triggered to think that someone that doesn't otherwise engage in discussion on Sup Forums without someone else provoking/prodding him somehow ruined it

>An adult doesn't take a child's conversation seriously as the child isn't fully developed as a human being, and it's the same case here. I myself was big into a lot of the kind of fusion, spiritual, and free jazz stuff that normally draws in non-jazz listeners, too until I realized that such stuff just isn't capable of nuance on the level of the really good stuff in the genre, and it's that nuance in playing which makes jazz worth listening to among other genres of music.
You're missing the fact that 95% of Sup Forumstants are undeveloped teenagers.

nah. i'll take jazz thread guy's considered analysis over dumb frog posters that can only talk about muh feels any day of the week

>jazz threads on Sup Forums would be just album cover spam and "I like this/I don't like this" posts ad nauseam
But when was the last time that there was a jazz thread that wasn't just that?

because mmuuh jazz

Mahavishnu Orchestra
youtube.com/watch?v=5ofh_S52Uks

Billy Cobham
youtube.com/watch?v=1H4gfJaYqZY

David Axelrod - Song of Innocence
no youtube link

Frank Zappa
youtube.com/watch?v=YVPQbJovdIQ

I saw Kamasi Washington play tonight and it was really great.

played this for my friend and he listens to it all the time now. personally not much into jazz either and i fuckin dig it

Only jazz album that can break into my personal top 40

Mind giving examples of the fusion/spiritual/free jazz stuff you were into before you found better material? (also mind sharing the stuff you like now?)

Probably one of the more impressive jazz albums out there. Shame the kid's dead.

He turned jazz "discussion" into a shitflinging about theory and academic wank and made it impossible to talk about any jazz that's popular on here.

>implying technical death metal isn't shit

It's going to get to a point where Sup Forums's jazzfags have declared every jazz album normie pleb shit and stop being jazz fans out of sheer contrarianism.

fpbp especially kamasi and BBNG

You make it sound like jazzfags only trash Scenery when provoked. You literally can't post this album on Sup Forums for any reason without someone popping in to remind everyone that it's mediocre.

what album CAN you do that for

Literally no one can explain why this album sucks, not even jtg. Sad.

youtube.com/watch?v=PoJKpE165_w

well yeah the only "real jazz bruh" is when you and your friends "have a little jam session u get me"?

none. jazz wasn't crafted for you.

bad mixing, all I hear is the brass ffs

>thread full of delicious weeb/nu-male tears
fun

>Sun Ra
>Pharoah Sanders
>Peter Brotzmann
In what world are avant-garde and free jazz good recommendations for someone who doesn't like jazz?

This is instrumental hip-hop, not jazz.

which is jazz for people who dont like jazz

Maybe Madlib is, but plenty of instrumental hip-hop artists don't borrow from old jazz records.

I used to be into shit like Sanders, later Herbie Hancock, Peter Brotzmann, Mingus, etc. It's all admittedly a good entry point for jazz, although not as good as second quintet Davis and sheets of sounds Coltrane imo.

Currently I am more into guys like Jimmy Giuffre, Anthony Davis, Henry Threadgill, Yosvany Terry, and Maria Schneider.
Just because he used more formal terms doesn't mean he made it about wank. You have no fucking clue how to listen to jazz if you think any of its better examples are wank. Either that or you don't know what the term wank is used for. If you actually listen to the music you wouldn't be making this dumb ass response. God, I hate pretentious fucks like you who get triggered over muh academia the instant someone uses theory to describe stuff.

It's reinterpretations of blue note tracks by a hip-hop producer so in essence it is a kind of entry level jazz for those who don't like jazz.

After hearing it over a decade ago, i listened to pic related which is the source material so it was a gateway.

Great album, but I don't think it fits itt

This and Blues and Roots are my favorite Mingus desu

No one gives me shit for liking japanese noise rock