Just got back from Hacksaw Ridge. What did Sup Forums think?

Just got back from Hacksaw Ridge. What did Sup Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QhDinIBETiI
youtube.com/watch?v=ZlaGhihG3pc
youtube.com/watch?v=MjFHqohaHYU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dunno i haven't seen it

Movie about pussy who can't shot fucking nazis. What were they thinking?

I think it's the best war movie made in the last two decades. It also made me respect vince vaughn again, and made me respect sam worthington for the first time ever. It's got a great cast, and Andrew Garfied deserves the best actor oscar. Can't stop based Mel, sonofabitch knows story structure

ALso Hugo weaving is great

It's pure kino

There arent even any camrips out dude

Top-tier

This

This. Even though his southern accent is retarded at best

I thought it was gonna be corny. But some of the battle scenes were sick

>nazis
You mean japs

were the war scenes as good as the ones in the revenant?
youtube.com/watch?v=QhDinIBETiI

Agreed user

How about you tell us your own thoughts and feels on it?

First act before his training in army, was horrible, cheap melodramatic, boring scenes

This, fucking incredible. I was expecting the romance and peacetime stuff to be a slog, but it was great and the relationship with his wife was really sweet and believable. Prob the best movie I've seen in past 5 years.

How can you have an opinion this wrong? I bet you think it's against your supposed "masculinity" to like a well done romance story so you have to pretend you only like the "badass" stuff.

To balance out the inevitable circlejerk in the thread, I'll list out some flaws

>generic stock soundtrack with the blatant use of temp tracks
>the relatively small budget becomes obvious in any bigger scale scene with The Hobbit like extra duplicates and the fact that 90% of the movie is medium and close-up shots
>somewhat comedic tonal shifts in certain scenes like that first bringing down of the wounded soldier without them noticing and the Vince Vaughn sled like ride and shoot, all the while "serious" soundtrack plays in the background
>too one sided portrayal of the war where the americans are ultimate heroes while the japs are characterless absolute evil monsters
>every wounded soldier is magically healed with only a belt and a bit of morphine

Still enjoyed the movie, Best Sound Editing academy award mark my words

i thought it was a 7/10
but of course people here say its teh best movie ever because based mel did it and he hates the joos like me so that makes him based

youtube.com/watch?v=ZlaGhihG3pc

7/10. Hugo Weaving was best part along with hara kiri scene

I loved it. The first hour had some slightly cheesy moments and the pacing got a little redundant/tedious. Also the training scenes tended to feel like a lesser Full Metal Jacket. But I mostly looked past all that and greatly enjoyed it. The battle scenes were amazing and the emotion really came through without feeling overly sentimental or manipulative.

>too one sided portrayal of the war where the americans are ultimate heroes while the japs are characterless absolute evil monsters
If you read up on Okinawa and other battles in the Pacific you will know that the majority of Japs were ruthless and quite often executed and mutilated Allied soldiers. This is besides the fact that they also brutalized civilian populations and looked upon mercy as cowardice, so even the "good" ones would have been too afraid to stop atrocities. They do a good enough job of showing that they are humans with him giving the bandage to the wounded Jap. The number of times soldiers in the Pacific AO had good will or saw humanity in eachother in battle can probably be counted on 2 hands. Just listen to interviews of vets on how they saw the enemy, a lot of them still hate Japs to this day, so it's realistic that since they were showing the American perspective they would seem "evil".

>every wounded soldier is magically healed with only a belt and a bit of morphine
He does emergency first aid and gets them to an aid station, this is what happened in real-life. He saved 72 wounded by evacuating them, not by performing surgery. You probably have a better chance of saving someone with a blown off leg by tying it off and getting him to a surgeon then if you were to sit there and try to completely bandage the wound.

Your other points are completely valid.

nuking those islands would have saved a lot of lives.

Hugo weaving is the best part of the movie

I agree with the soundtrack, very generic. And there were about two scenes that pulled me out a little bit with their over the topness. So not a flawless film as some people make it sound, but when it was good, it was great, so it's well worth the watch

Oh, I do love the first few posts of a thread.
The constructive replies and friendly atmosphere.
Just before the "cucks" and "Sup Forumss" start to appear...

Why is this necessary at all? You're the very thing that you dislike about threads

pure kino posts

Yea, you are right, it was a bit unnecessar, just got carried away.
Havent even seen the movie yet... are the Japs really portrayed as savages? I hate one-sided historical movies.

There's no long takes in it like Cuaron, Spielberg, Inarritu. Shot length is very fast.

The romance played like Nicolas Sparks movie, watch Light Between the Oceans if you want a better example of how to do it.

I would say that's true to a degree. It's not like it showed the Americans as good boys, they had moments of savagery too. If there was one sidedness, it didn't take me out of the story, it just came across as the brutality of war in general, not just of one group of people

I liked the soundtrack. What was the other scene that pulled you out of it? The only thing I didn't really like about the movie was when Vince Vaughn is being pulled away and endlessly firing his 30-round grease gun. I probably wouldn't have minded it if he was seen reloading, but they didn't even imply it during the whole 2 minutes of non-stop firing. Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if this actually happened, some unbelievable parts of the real story were taken out for fear of audiences thinking it was bs:

>Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, this time suffering a compound fracture of 1 arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station.

I've also heard that as he was being lowered a Japanese soldier kept aiming at him but his rime would jam every time he was about to shoot him as he was lowered down.

You mean dirty nips.

Saw it last week with my dad, we both really enjoyed it. Gonna see it again tonight with a friend.

>rime
Rifle

Okay then, guess Ill be watching something in cinema after a while... and Iam taking the asshole who talked me into deadpool with me....

The soundtrack worked I guess, it didn't feel emotional to me, cliche maybe, but it was always in the background so it wasn't a big deal.
The other scene was the slow mo of the soldier using a corpse's torso as a shield. I chuckled, I certainly enjoy crazy action, but it wasn't exactly in line with the rest of the film

>taken out for fear of audiences thinking it was bs
They could have avoided this simply by adopting a less Hollywood approach.

Take out the sappy music, film it more coherently so the audience understands the rhythm and space of battle, and don't resort to montage that spoils immersion. I never once got the feeling he had waited in one place for 5 hours because the movie was so fast paced.

In all fairness, Imperial Japan was pretty fucking savage when it came to wartime atrocities. The Allies weren't angels and they do show a bit of that in this movie, but Allied and Nazi WWII savagery was nothing compared to Japan's.

Obvious CGI in some scenes but overall a top tier flick.

Ah yes I forgot about that, that was pretty stupid.

Well I look at is it as more of a tribute than trying to tell the exact story, with certain events coinciding with real life and lots of stuff added in to tell a more hollywood style story, which I thought was done well. The battles were shot so frantically and fast paced as a way to simulate how chaotic the real battle was, the average soldier probably couldn't tell much of what was going on outside of his 5 meter bubble. A more grounded approach would have gone against the message of how brutal and horrific war is, which worked imo.

>a way to simulate how chaotic the real battle was
This is the same excuse I see for every poorly shot war movie.

You can convey chaos without fast cuts and 20 perspectives.
youtube.com/watch?v=MjFHqohaHYU

Not everyone will perceive it the same way, but that was clearly Mel's vision and I liked it.

A bigger budget would result in this being a classic, it was so close.

But this will gain enough money for Mel to make that /jesuskino/ sequel like he wants to do it so there's that

Movie was great except for the violence.
I get that war is hell, but man i really had a hard time watching those battle scenes that lasted like 5-7 mins of people just getting blown to bits.

Another shitty ww2 movie that keeps american population in belief that their army won the war.
Why there no good movies about eastern front where most of shit was happening? Movie set in some slav country like Soviet union or even Yugoslavia/Poland would be ten times more interesting

Well Americans make movies about American stories, honestly this argument is retarded. Russians are free to fund(and have funded) movies about their war(Brest Fortress was pretty good), but why should Americans have to make movies about other countries because they are to lazy to do it themselves.

Print the legend

>watches movie about the Pacific Theatre
>butthurt that it's not about the Eastern Front
for what purpose

There are hundreds of Yugoslavia/Poland war movies you ignorant cunt.

You would probably hate them all because they are all self hating bleak social commentaries which other westerners can't relate to.

>You would probably hate them all because they are all self hating bleak social commentaries
I don't know about Polish movies, but you couldn't be more wrong about Yugoslavian ones. You would never be able to make a serious social commentary movie that shows communist government in any sort of bad light, and just attempting it would land you in jail most likely, that's why most war movies from post-WW2 era were basically goofy propaganda pieces with more comedic or action than serious elements, and served to glorify the anti-fascist resistance and elevate them to the superhero status.

Fuck you, "Sutjeska" is great.

>But you couldn't be more wrong about Yugoslavian ones

I live in Croatia, a country that was in the former Yugoslavia. Why do you insist on being an ignorant cunt?

Yes, while Yugoslavia was a thing there were no serious social commentaries that shows communist government in any sort of bad light

But if you checked the news in the last 25 years you should know that Yugoslavia broke up in 1991.
And for those 25 years everyone here only made war and social commentaries and they are still being done because it's all we eat up here.
I am too lazy to pick out movies for you, feel free to google croatia, serbia or yugoslavia war movies and you will find more than enough.

legit hope it flops

>while the japs are characterless absolute evil monsters
If you were sticking to what historically transpired though, it'd be very hard for you to depict the Japanese as anything but viciously indoctrinated and imbued with beliefs of their own superiority.

Fuckers had to be one of the most criminal factions of WWII considering what they'd enacted against Chinese civilians and how they would treat their prisoners.

Yamashita had to be their sole general that wasn't bordering on insanity, and all others colluded against him from deeming him "too gentle", and he was therefore exiled to Manchuria for the larger part of the WWII.

>inb4 "you say this cuz ur an american"
Nah.

Generic/10

Macho boogieing killing machine (spr bar guy)
Enemy sniper (spr German sniper)
Enemies are generic bad guys
Fps style battle scenes
Unnecessary love scenes for female audiences
Nade exploding mid air right next to the main character, and he lives
No reload with perfect accuracy for the American side

7/10 because i play rising Storm

>What did Sup Forums think?

I don't know, you tell me.

>I think it's the best war movie made in the last two decades.
Seriously? I don't know man, for me, thin red line is up there top 3.

But hacksaw blew my fucking mind away, too.

I think the only generals who weren't pants on head retarded and blood thirsty were Yamashita and Kuribayashi

>Kuribayashi
Then I'll rush onwards to research who that was.

But otherwise, I'm happy that would agree with me there. I've been reading books about WWII that have more depth to them, and it always tickles me as hilariously entertaining how retarded the generals for Japan were.

>let us start a war with USSR without alerting High Command teehee xDDD
>uh oh, well we got BTFO, well now onwards to China ^~^
>shhh now I will attack Tchang Kai-Shek without alerting my fellow generals so all the honor can go to me
>ahhh I'm getting fucked ;-; and since I did this in secret no one will come to my rescue! shamerul dispray :ooooo!
And so ended an entire Japanese army.

These guys were crazy as fuck, so no wonder it reflected on how unhinged their soldiers were in the fighting.

Totally agree, i honestly haven't been this gripped by a movie in a very long time.

Stupid question, but how loud is it? My defective GF had to cover her ears for the explosions and atomic breath in Shin Godzilla, I don't want to see her wince in pain every five minutes again.

Pretty loud during the battle sequences.

>>somewhat comedic tonal shifts in certain scenes
Did you forget about that part where the dead body sat up, started screaming, a bullet made his head explode and then the battle started? I had to repress a snort in the theater.

>Fps style battle scenes
I felt this too. There was almost no strategy that the command provided so it really felt like a video game where you're just following people just charging and killing near infinite enemies with one shot.

>And so ended an entire Japanese army.

I can't find anything, links?

All of this and easily best film of the year

Will women understand this film?

>Mel Gibson’s Hacksaw Ridge is much more than a war movie. Titled after the 1945 Battle of Okinawa on the Japanese bluff known as Hacksaw Ridge, it tells the true-life story of Desmond Doss, a religious conscientious objector who nevertheless saved dozens of fellow soldiers’ lives while serving as a battlefield medic during the final days of World War II. Doss received a Medal of Honor from President Truman, but, ironically, the movie is the work of a famously Christian filmmaker who was publicly excoriated by the mainstream (i.e., secular) media, which lashed out against his 2004 The Passion of the Christ

>nigger

>nuking those islands would have saved a lot of lives.

There were no nukes available, and there were no spares after Hiroshima and Nagasaki so we are lucky the Japs surrendered.

>Movie was great except for the violence.
>I get that war is hell, but man i really had a hard time watching those battle scenes that lasted like 5-7 mins of people just getting blown to bits.

Then maybe you prefer dishonest war movies. If you think that was bad be glad there are no accurate WWI trench warfare movies. Millions (no misprint!) of soldiers went missing during WWI and were presumed dead because there was no escape from many locations without being shot for desertion. At Verdun alone, which is not a large area, about 80,000 soldiers from both sides disappeared under constant shellfire. The ground was a stew of dead men and horses blasted to bits and rotting in the mud. That's more missing than the total deaths at Iwo Jima.

The truth should be seen. If war movie violence bothers you, that's an appropriate reaction to war. If it makes you dislike the movie, you are wallowing in effeminate sheltered foolishness. Go watch MLP videos or something.

Kuribayashi was the guy on Iwo Jima. Watch Letters from Iwo Jima. Great fucking movie. The guy knew Japanese tactics were dumb and that America was going to win the war and he made it his mission to take as many Americans as he could, not some bullshit about "NIHON STRONGU BANZAI" and get all his men and equipment destroyed in a banzai charge.

Weren't the Japs, like the Germans, a bit fond of amphetamines?

As shitty as Braveheart, but tv will praise it because it was made by (((based))) Mel who hates Kikes. This movie is just slightly more ambitious than BvS and other shite. A FUCKING CLICHÉ

this desu

South Park was right all along

Pretty damn good, Mel made kino, wasn't sure about Andrew Garfield, he was alright. Rest of the movie was pure Christ and war kino.

I agree man, Mel deserves an Oscar, haven't seen a single movie better than it this year.

It was pure American military and religious propaganda.

Yeah Goyim, modesty is bad, you shouldn't wait 'til marriage to have sex, matter of fact here's some parn far yah!

Saw this by myself. Theater has a no singles policy but I managed to sneak in and sit next to some old people to make believe I was in a group.

Honestly, I was constantly teary eyed throughout the whole thing. I have no idea how a movie so sentimental and simple made me so emotional but it did. Andrew Garfield was actually really good and I've never liked him in the past. Hugo's monologue about his friend who died was the best part of the movie. The battle scenes were excellent and their violence contrasted really well with the movie's overall tone.

Sam Worthington probably should not have been a character, though.

>>too one sided portrayal of the war where the americans are ultimate heroes while the japs are characterless absolute evil monsters

Get out you liberal faggot, the Japs were soulless demons.

American propaganda garbage. Wołyń is superior in every way and historically 100% accurate.

>why is a movie about a Medal of Honor recipient in the Pacific set in the Pacific about Americans
Literally retarded, probably slavic as well.

>implying
What is wrong with having movies celebrating our culture. Who wants more kike propaganda?

Autist.

How many swords do you own?

daily reminder these are shill threads

the movie is awful, walked out mid-way

>but the veteran at the end

doesn't make up for it

@76228295 [u]

Pretty fucking good. Choreography was good, acting was solid, A/V worked well and this movie was actually quite shocking at times for a WWII film especially the dream sequence when the guy wakes up to find 20 gooks surrounding them and they stab him to death

>walked out mid-way
>>but the veteran at the end

This post is anti-Mel propaganda, we all know he just made a thread about Dr. Strange. Go away degenerate marvel shill, this is a /christkino/ thread.

>Theater has a no singles policy
why is that?

Good post comrade, 15 rubles have been deposited into your account.

Keep up an image, make some extra cash by getting people to take others, and most importantly to keep out undesirables.

Based Mek saving Cinema from capeshit

Never fired a bullet? Don't field medics carry sidearms? They need to defend themselves.

It's against his religious beliefs to carry and operate a gun of any kind. There's a whole part of the movie where the military tries to screw him over for it before he's shipped out to the ridge.

Hugo weaving was incredible. His performance topped them all imo