Nice, but some of them still aren't on spotify for me

Chris Potter
Dave Holland
Craig Taborn
Kenny Wheeler
Vijay Iyer

Holy shit
Literally everything, the label has done no wrong in my eyes
Nope, it's literally everything. The playlists are in catalogue order too.

Lol nice newfag jtg drone picks

>Literally everything, the label has done no wrong in my eyes
they released some corny new agey stuff and some qquestionable fusion.... imo

Yeah that's true. But overall you kinda know what you're getting into, if you enjoy the aspects they primarily explore than there's not much you'll hate. Plus the quality of the recordings is exceptional on each record.

He's right though, not all of it is in Burgerland yet. Mainly the most popular stuff: Schiff's Beethoven set, Jarrett's Koln Concert, Vijay Iyer's latest two releases (Break Stuff/Far From Over). Though that might come with time.

>Literally everything, the label has done no wrong in my eyes
>OP is literally the label fucking their artists in the ass by putting their catalogue onto "Opportunity Cost: The Steaming Service"

Damn near everything

Mark Turner
Keith Jarrett
Charlie Haden
Andras Schiff
Heinz Holliger
Jack DeJohnette
Tim Berne
Gary Peacock

I don't think you understand that ECM is and always has been a music > profit kind of deal user.
Plus with the Koln Concert money, Manfred Eicher can do pretty much whatever he wants.

>literally the label fucking their artists in the ass by putting their catalogue onto "Opportunity Cost: The Steaming Service"
Yes, I too took high school AP Economics and know what opportunity cost is...

>thinks: "I'm better than all of these people so why should I care?"

what the fuck are you on about

listen to ECM's set of Weinberg and stfu

I don't like ecm production, it's dead and lifeless

I'm just saying, ECM are they that big a deal?

spiritless, I like that one. Stodgy,

>Sup Forums doesn't like ECM
imagine my shock that Sup Forums doesn't like great and well made music.

Yes, now go listen to some Keith Jarret and shut the fuck up you pip

Go on then. What are their top 9 recordings?

i mean tbf a lot of ecm is wallpaper but there are some gems in there

quality production, as said it can be a bit cold, but i like cold sometimes

t. spotify user

What are you even trying to prove with this post user?
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
Hilliard Ensemble - Perotin
Keith Jarret - Koln Concert
Keith Jarret - Vienna Concert
Chick Corea - Piano Improvisations 1 & 2
Kieth Jarret Trio - At the Blue Note
Circle - Paris Concert
Chick Corea - Return to Forever
Rainer Brüninghaus - Freigeweht

Note that's I've only scratched the surface of the label in the three years I've been a fan, there's literally more music released by that label than one knows what to do with.

Well Manfred Eicher wanted Jazz to have the clarity of Classical Recordings. Which unfortunately means there's a certain sharpness to the recordings, but alot of the music is suprisingly warm.

Built in the 1930s as a Third-Reich propaganda machine, Munich’s Haus der Kunst has since evolved to become one of Germany’s most prestigious and global-minded…

I dunno, I don't mean to be so cruel actually

yawn

>Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
>Hilliard Ensemble - Perotin
>Keith Jarret - Koln Concert

I tried listening to these three and they were boring as shit. I won't bother with the rest of the list. Thanks.

Sling your hook then mate? Again, why would you enter a thread of things you don't like?
Also
>goalposts

Literally fucking WHO?

(you)

Ya'll need to listen to Azimuth RIGHT NOW

Music is more than craft and technique

o shiiit, can I get those ECM flowcharts please??

i love how you posted a picture of a dead and lifeless movie to support your point

>hating on Perotin
die

Here we go, get to know these people lets

bump for this

3,000 releases nigh on.

I found ECM charts for the 70s and 80s on the archive but I can't find the rest, I know there are more.

Here's the 70s one.

and here's the 80s one

Music is more than just shitty lyrics too

>Every talent no matter how great needs a patron

While I agree it's important to become used to the biggest musicians on the label, I think a lot of ECM is down to self-exploration. It really is like an untapped mine of gems just waiting to be explored.

Agreed but my criticism is (as gently as possible) that the collected oeuvre of ECM is fetishistic in nature.

Bump

cringe

explain

Not him, but I understand his point. Despite it being fairly ambiguous.
When you listen to ECM you listen for the sound or what fans call the "ECM Sound" the cleanly reproduced recording techniques of Classical music bought over to Spacey Jazz Fusion with an emphasis on silence, atmosphere and improvisation. And in a certain way the music aspect is lost in translation in certain aspects, the musicians are aiming for the ECM Sound so much they almost forget to make music and just sort of noodle. As a huge ECM fan I think it's important to notice this and I try to not overrate the music simply because of just how dang good the recording is.

ECM is a mixed bag like any modern jazz label, it helped keep the genre alive in the 70s and 80s as Jazz died out in the mainstream.

The RYM page has some good recommendations for albums to check out. Pretty much anything with Dave Holland is great.
rateyourmusic.com/genre/ECM Style Jazz/

Check out pic related.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that ECM simply isn't popular enough to have essentials or curated best ofs. The label has far too much music, if you're interested in the label just jump into it. I disagree with almost every placement on the RYM chart for ECM Jazz but it's mostly due to the highest rated ECM release being around 1.5k ratings.

You understood my sentence.

Yeah, it's best just to get into a musician then explore other people he's played with. My local record store has a small section just for ECM records, most are really cheap so i've discovered some pretty cool records from it.

Same with my local record store, great as well seeing as how the owner is a huge ECM fan.
I started with Chick Corea and Keith Jarret and slowly started to unearth more of the label.
If you like Dave Holland you so should check out pic related if you haven't already. Holland plays like mad throughout, especially on Neferiti and 73 Kelvin - Variation 3.

aren't there some albums that were never repressed on cd/digital though?

discogs.com/John-Clark-Faces/release/2958889

Nope this isn't on there

No I listen for the artists.
Vijay Iyer, Mark Turner, Tim Berne, etc.

I'll play a GOAT jazz improv on the settee then go to bed nonchalantly.

bump

this