Just started learning the bass. Any advice, exercises, or web sites I need to know about...

Just started learning the bass. Any advice, exercises, or web sites I need to know about? Been trying to self teach for a week now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VRkSsapYYsA
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4077179
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Play your scales, know where the notes are, try to pull off some songs by ear, post-punk being a good genre to start off but not all post-punk is (The Cure and Joy Division way better for starters than The Smiths or Television, for example). Learn how you can branch out and add complexity to your bass playing; find out your favorite bassists and why you like their playing style.

Just start by playing some popular and simple bass riffs. Also look up basic techniques

Watch this

youtu.be/VRkSsapYYsA

And make sure you do it, that's the foundation of good left hand bass technique and most other fretting techniques will follow

Is there any good resource to learn bass online like justinguitar for guitar? There's no teacher anywhere near me.

Id like to know this as well

learn to read sheet music
learn your scales
learn to use all four left hand fingers
learn jazz if possible
learn songs by ears
don't use tabs
don't fuck up your left hand with improper placement
don't use a 5 string

Bass is easy. Just push down a fret and pluck the string.

Easy to start playing but getting proper rhythm and knowing what to play exactly - that's a fair bit more difficult. Everyone can play quarter notes/eighth notes while focused on the root, but to truly flesh out the bassline you need to understand a lot more things, especially of the band as a whole.

>pluck

Or slap, pick, scrape with a razor blade, whatever you wanna do.

Learn theory, it's not difficult.

Hal Leonard Bass Method is a great book and can be torrented with mp3s. It will teach you to read sheet music.

Talking bass lessons on youtube are good

The bass grimoire is great for learning scales, not great for learning theory, think of it like a dictionary

studybass.com

figure out a practice schedule, break it into chunks so something starting could be

15 minutes of exercises at five minutes each
15 minutes of scales
15 minutes of chords
15 minutes of a book
learning a song

Main thing with bass is rhythm and knowing how to play with the drums. Play when the kick drum plays. Always practice whatever you are doing with simple drum loop playing and go from there.

Honestly, most bands just want you to play simple stuff in time, with the drummer, rather than have you scurring up and down the fretboard.

Yeah, that's a pretty key part, but I'd say bass and drums are those instruments where the better you are as a musician the better the band as a whole is (and of course one of the key things in being a musician is knowing what NOT to play in a given time). It's weird.

Problem is most famous bassists are famous for what 99% of people would regard as overplaying.

Any band would want Cream-mode Jack Bruce or Jaco, but no band wants someone trying to be either of them.

Oh and one more top piece of advice, this is really important.

Count "one and two and three and four and"

I started off counting "one two three four" and ruined me for ages but I didn't know any better.

Yeah, I'd say the most difficult thing (and ultimately the most important) is learning when not to play, much like drums. Would I like to be given the freedom to do whatever bollocks I want? Yeah, of course, but ultimately if it's not going to fit into the song then I'm not going to play it; which is why great bassists stand out the most; they can fit in some extremely interesting basslines while they add to the music, not detract from it.

Bass probably has one of the steepest learning curves; easy to get into, but to truly become great you need to understand how a band functions, and that's way more difficult than it seems.

Can't find the Hal Leonard book, you got a source?

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4077179

Thank you very much.

I don't know of anything that has a comprehensive course-like approach to free bass lessons, but Adam Neely is probably the best bassist youtuber.

Hal Leonard is pretty much universally garbage. It's written for retards

This totally depends on circumstance. If the tempo's fast enough and you're just playing quarter notes, it'll hinder you to count in eighths. Count in a subdivision that is easy to entrain to. Being able to count out loud while you play is a great skill to have though, it'll help you feel the beat.