So, after all the critical acclaim that Dr. Strange is receiving, i decided to watch.I thought that it was alright...

So, after all the critical acclaim that Dr. Strange is receiving, i decided to watch.I thought that it was alright, a harmless fun movie, with pretty visuals but shallow. Nowhere as good as the critics are saying that it is.

Because of that i also decided to watch BvS, a movie of the same genre, that was destroyed by the same critics. Have in mind that i just watched the movie once, in the theaters, with my friends, i had a great experience and came back home, without much thought on it. But now, after watch the two movies, that sit in different sides of the hype created by the media, i can safely say that i don't understand why one was so much loved and the other so much hated.

I can see so much passion in the little details of BvS, like in Martha scene, that everybody seems to hate, ,you can clearly see Supes trying to say her surname, or he struggling as he watches the news and listens to everybody debating what his place in the world is, when he is completely lost, trying to do the best he can, even without knowing how. The music, the cinematography are great too. And in Strange, everthing is so effortless. Just one more Marvel movie.

Whats your opinion about all this? Is BvS that bad or Strange that good? Or is everybody wrong? and the truth lies in between?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MyVPh3Usrho
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Ancient One's death scene>>>>>>>anything in BvS

>in the little details
sculpting in a flower in a piece of shit doesn't change it from being a piece of shit

Really? It had zero impact on me.

>I can see so much passion in the little details of BvS

The Room and Birdemic had passion behind them too. Filmmaking isn't a middle-school science fair, you don't get an award just for participation.

>the score and the cinematography

The score was terrible and the cinematography was ruined by Snyder's awful direction.

Dr. Strange = Capeshit
BvS = Capekino

>The Room and Birdemic had passion behind them too. Filmmaking isn't a middle-school science fair, you don't get an award just for participation.

You have a great point here.

>The score was terrible and the cinematography was ruined by Snyder's awful direction.

This is what i don't understand. The scoreis probably the most memorable score to appear in the genre since the 90s; And i thought that the direction was miles better than what i saw on Dr. Strange. Extremely bland, without personality and weight... Can you explain more your point?

It was just the wrong political climate. BvS was savaged by liberal SJWs, but now that we're in the Trump era, it will be looked at in a better light.

Dubs confirmed

I laughed on it. It may be true

>The scoreis probably the most memorable score to appear in the genre since the 90s

Look, I normally like Junkie XL but he was coasting hard here. It was just generic loud drums and guitar shredding for the majority, the only track that showed any real personality was Lex's bizarre Tim Burton-esque theme.

> And i thought that the direction was miles better than what i saw on Dr. Strange. Extremely bland, without personality and weight... Can you explain more your point?

I haven't seen Strange yet so I can't comment there.

But Snyder's issue is his absolute refusal to evolve. He still shoots all of his dramatic character moments in this insanely close one-shot shot/reverse-shot beats, he refuses to ever pull the fucking camera back and let the scene breathe. He seems to think shooting everything like a Hitchcock movie somehow makes it inherently more dramatic, but it suffocates the environment around it. It's part of where the "no establishing shots" complaint come from,l there's no sense of place on any of the scenes that aren't action beats.

And his action just straight-up looks like hot garbage. His obsession with 300-esque hyper-stylised green-screen backgrounds looks like trash and makes every fight look like a Youtube fan film with a 200 million dollar budget.

Snyder has been doing all of this since 300 and refuses to actually evolve. He finally stopped speed-ramping everything but that's the only notable evolution in his form since fucking Dawn of the Dead, he;s still shooting these things like a first-year music video director who just got out of NYU and thinks he's the greatest director alive.

He's one of the most amateur directors working today,and because his wife is his sugar daddy he'll never have to change or improve.

>He still shoots all of his dramatic character moments in this insanely close one-shot shot/reverse-shot beats, he refuses to ever pull the fucking camera back and let the scene breathe.

I completely agree with you here. After watching Coens and Wes Anderson movies, i can see how much the plot improves with a camera shot that shows more about the enviroment and the characters.

>And his action just straight-up looks like hot garbage. His obsession with 300-esque hyper-stylised green-screen backgrounds looks like trash and makes every fight look like a Youtube fan film with a 200 million dollar budget

Here i disagree with you. The action scenes are exactly what they had to be, given the characters involved. Thres nothing wrong with a CGI shitfest, this is a super hero movie, not a The Raid kinda of movie.

>I haven't seen Strange yet so I can't comment there

Oh... I see. So you can't really comment about the movie, Which is really a shame, since the discrepancy in critical acclaim between the two movies is what i'm really interested in.

>Thres nothing wrong with a CGI shitfest, this is a super hero movie, not a The Raid kinda of movie.

I don't care about it being a CGI shitfest, that's the only way you could produce an accurate version of a Superman fight that didn't look like crap. I'm not one of those Luddites who cries whenever a movies uses CGI, it's a tool like anything else.

But Snyder's style is awful for action scenes. Punches have no weight, the backgrounds are so obviously fake they rip you right out the storytelling, buildings crumble like they';re make of graham crackers because that's the only way Snyder knows how to present stakes, etc.

I'm not arguing the MCU films are perfect. some of them have a wonky use of space in the frame and their use of lighting can be so flat as to suck emotion out of scenes. But I'll still take the worst of them over Snyder.

I understand your point now. I really don't mind the "Snyders style", because as you said "that's the only way you could produce an accurate version of a Superman fight that didn't look like crap".

But i also think that any other director would take more out of the same scenes. For instance, the Martha scene; was so quick, that a lot of the emotional weight comes from your own understanding of the scene. I iimagine, how the same scene would be if directed by Spielberg... The moment would be heavier and have a far bigger emotional impact on me.

its just the same meme thread every single day

While Marvel is Stale, people prefer to eat stale bread over a shit sandwich.

To me it's a matter of Marvel movies being dull, generic, lifeless, and sterile but as they take few chances they don't even have much opportunity to make something outright terrible. They're factory produced products and they always feel like it, but there's a consistency to how average they feel. Marvel knows what they're doing and for better or worse they don't stray from that path.

Snyder's films obviously have more effort and actual care put into them, but Snyder is an abysmal director at anything besides simple cinematography. Those movies have risks and those risks more often than not fail for me. The argument lies between whether you want something mass-produced and bland or something individually made and terrible. While I might take the latter if I was getting a present from a loved one, in terms of entertainment I myself have to pay for then I'd always take the former.

Critics have a strong impact to people. Like if they gave Thor 2 a low score like 20%, hating on that movie will become mainstream just like what happened to bvs & ss. But it has 70%+ on RT and only few people actively criticized it.

I liked bvs despite the flaws. I appreciate all the visuals and symbolisms but they need to learn from their mistakes.

BvS dares to host the first convincing Batman in superhero cinema... as a villain. For some reason it triggers assbandits. Can't say the same for the man of steel since I haven't seen the old superman flicks.

>media learning from their mistakes

lel, they didn't even learn after they got BTFO by Trump. Right now a couple of them have said: "maybe we shouldn't have called them all racists and sexists" but in 4 years will be back to the same thing just in time for Trump's reelection.

Its the same with movie critics, their bias gets in their way of legitimate criticism.

even with snyder trying to force so many "moments" into BvS it still comes across as being a movie that is trying to weave a narrative.

marvel, while obviously creating a narrative just falls flat because its so bland.

when affleck says "he brought the war to us", its much more powerful and memorable than any marvel movie ive seen. other than carters funeral scene where the girl reads the line out of the comic theres just no memorable lines in marvel movies.

BvS is a series of unrelated scenes. Dr Strange tells a story effectively and effieciently. Doing so scores it full marks.

Same. Saw it again tho and it hit me hard. How she just disappears like that.

Strange is mediocre or vanilla at best, a success easily handed to Marvel for producing once again, a creatively barren work.

BvS is nothing short of a masterpiece, perhaps not perfect, but it's an interesting subversive piece of genre rebellion with true quality and personality in it, taking the basis of these characters and making something else with them, with many teachings, themes and mythology sprinkled throughout and a powerful at-face-value story.

Sadly the general audience of today is numb to good stories and critics are pushing agendas, they only want light empty entertainment and quips

>But Snyder's style is awful for action scenes. Punches have no weight, the backgrounds are so obviously fake they rip you right out the storytelling, buildings crumble like they';re make of graham crackers because that's the only way Snyder knows how to present stakes, etc.

I really disagree here. Maybe when the kryptonians are fighting each other in MoS, but thats supposed to be the point, they are these super gods that are destroying everything around them in their personal disagreement.
How can you say theses punches don't have any impact?

youtube.com/watch?v=MyVPh3Usrho

>I have nothing to contribute, the post

> abysmal director at anything besides simple cinematography.

explain, give examples

>taking the basis of these characters and making something else with them
THIS

It completely shits on comic readers and I love Snyder for doing so

>even with snyder trying to force so many "moments"

oh great you saw that fucking youtube video, which btw is wrong.

>BvS is a series of unrelated scenes.

not true at all, the scenes follow in a very deliberate manner.

for example Batman's nightmare about dictator Superman, his worst fear about what Superman can become, its followed by Superman looking at the photos of Batman's dead victims in jail. Which is Superman's worst fear about how bad Batman can become.

>It completely shits on comic readers

I wouldn't say that, but it continues in the comic tradition by building and commenting on stories that came before it. Like a lot of Superman's story comes from Dini's Superman: Peace on Earth, except Snyder twists it by showing a lot of the same scenes but as a reaction to what happened in MoS (one could argue mirroring the fan's reaction to MoS).
He also does a very deliberate deconstruction/reversal of The Dark Knight Returns comic where Batman is the staunch, crazed protector of the status quo and Superman is the pure waifu trying struggling with his faith in humanity. Even going so far as to recreate scenes from it, panel to shot, but deliberately inverting them (like recontextualizing the scene with Superman floating as a nuke corpse in space)

I wouldn't say he shits on anyone, it's just a different approach.

An approach that was completely rejected by most out of pure pettiness, stupidity or false sense of ownership, OR because they simply don't like it, this last one I find to be valid.

I myself are very ambivalent towards this approach, but I have to respect it because of how utterly well crafted it is.

It doesen't shit on comic readers at all.
Comic readers are already familiar with the idea of there being various alternate universes with several different incarnations of each and every character, sometimes very different from each other.
Even in the mainline canon of DC comics Batman and Superman went through many changes (the original batman just straight up murdered people with a gun).
The only people who are offended are wannabe "geeks" who never actually read comics but have been regurgitating the opinions of one youtuber or another, and they are completely oblivious to the fact that the characters in the marvel movies are just as different from their comicbook counterparts as batman and superman are in the DC movies because, as I said, they never read comics

Just left the theater after seeing Strange. Pretty good. Standard marvel movie
>a laugh every 5 min
>cool visuals
>badass villain
>that hong kong fight was legit amazing

when i saw BvS in theaters i was pretty disappointed. the story was all over the place but it had a lot of cool moments. that being said, i fuckin love the ultimate cut and think its severely underrated.

i will never understand the hate towards BvS.

Whatever caused it, is certainly NOT in the movie, but in a external entity, like the critics' hivemind, the political climate, society's zeitgeist, or whatever.

I agree with almost all the criticisms of BvS and Snyder, but I still like BvS a lot. It's this big, awkward, lumbering creature of a superhero movie. Marvel movies are just big budget pilot episodes of TV shows.